Does Venice smell

travel with kids

My DH and I are booked on a cruise with an overnight stop in Venice next August. When telling friends (who have traveled and lived in Italy) about our trip, they adviced us not to go to Venice in August due to the smell. But felt it would be better to go in June. I did multiple searches on the CC boards and found nothing. Surley if there was the slightest smell, someone would have commented on it here on the boards, however, I also (up to this point) trust my friends' judgement.

So, my question is....Does Venice smell?

Thanks

It was three years ago we went in August, no smell we could detect.

I think that reputation comes from combination of water conditions, tide, weather and well you know :eek:

Even for a little smell I'd still go. I can tell you about how often elevators, people or places did also smell, but not enough not to make me want to take in the sights and experience :D

We were just there last month. My DH was concerned that it would smell, because of some things he read.

We did not notice any smell until our last day when we were checking out of our hotel. The concierge made a comment, "so sorry for the smell, it is low tide today."

Believe me, I could tolerate a bad smell to experience Venice!

It is magical by day and especially at night. Tour Doge's Palace, get lost in the narrow streets, take a gondola ride, enjoy the orchestras in St. Mark's, shop for a special piece of Murano glass, and taste the delicious food. There is so much to see and experience.

Enjoy your visit!

I've been to Venice in May and I've been in October.

If you go to the back canals, there is definitely a stench. I was surprised.

When we visited Brugge Belgium and Amsterdam Holland, we did not notice any smells and was told they flush the canals every night. So thus the surprise that Venice being all canals right on the lagoon would have the smells.

The Lagoon and Grand Canal we didn't notice any smell other than the salt ocean air.

We've been to Venice three times in August, and, yes, it does have a rather peculiar odor at that time, at least to our noses. I'm with the other posters who urge you to go anyway. I'd be back there in August in a flash if I had the chance.

Thank you for your responses and honesty. I have wanted to visit Venice since I was a child (a very long time to wait!!) and was so sad that I might miss it due to an unpleasant smell. Our friends had us spooked into thinking that we would not be able to visit.

I think that reputation comes from combination of water conditions, tide, weather and well you know :eek:

Even for a little smell I'd still go.

You are right! And when we return home with beautiful pictures and wonderful memories, we will not be able to smell a thing.

I've been to Venice in May and I've been in October.

If you go to the back canals, there is definitely a stench.

The Lagoon and Grand Canal we didn't notice any smell other than the salt ocean air.

We visited Annecy, France last year and noticed the further into the village you went along the canal (and further away from the lake) a slight smell. And now when we talk about Annecy, we don't even remember the slight odor.

Thanks again for your responses. We love Cruise Critic and the wealth of information you can gain from its members.

My DH and I are booked on a cruise with an overnight stop in Venice next August. When telling friends (who have traveled and lived in Italy) about our trip, they adviced us not to go to Venice in August due to the smell. But felt it would be better to go in June. I did multiple searches on the CC boards and found nothing. Surley if there was the slightest smell, someone would have commented on it here on the boards, however, I also (up to this point) trust my friends' judgement.

So, my question is....Does Venice smell?

Thanks

I have to chuckle at your question because I've been wanting to see Venice for years and years. Every time I asked my husband about it, he'd say "My mother went and she said it smells." End of discussion. It's taken 26 years of marriage to put my foot down and tell hubby that we're going to Venice, smell or no smell!!! Only two months (and a lifetime of waiting) to go!!! :D

I have lived on both coasts of Canada and can say that at certain times of the year, near the shore, at certain low tides, there is an odor. Not offensive just seaweed and vegetation drying up.

So it is with Venice. It is hot and it is low tide and there may be some seaweeds clinging to the canal walls exposed to the sun, it emits a smell.

So, don't take a gondola ride to the back canals at low tide on a hot day.

Venice is so worth it, go anytime you have the opportunity.

It doesn't smell, but graffiti is a problem now. Makes me sick to see such a beautiful city scarred that way.

Papa, that's the way it is over there. I've never seen so much graffiti in cities--not even in NYC--as I have in Italy. I told my husband once that if we owned stock in Italian spray paint companies, we'd be millionaires by now. :(

Venice is so great. We were there 3 times and once when it flooded. Everytime was special and some areas had a slight smell but all cities have some areas that just stink even in the States. Try living near a landfill. It just depends on which way the wind blows.

You will love Venice.

I've been to Venice twice (a while back) and the smell was not anything stronger than what I would have expected, given the environment that it is in. Just about any place that is on a bay near the sea is going to have some amount of smell, from the salt water, the seaweed, and dead sea critters. And of course, in Venice the sea water is a part of the city.

We were in Venice on the Solstice June 14-15 and had no odor and/or other problems. We had the sail-in, exploring by foot around lots in the many usual tourism places, plus looping around through other less traveled places that first afternoon and evening. Then the next morning, we were there, plus the sail-out. Didn't sense any of these types of problems. Everything seemed super fine and nice. Below is an example of the nice blue waters there that my camera recorded.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 28,853 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we sailed into Venice, here is a wider and then a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14. Waters seemed to be a very nice blue color to my eye and camera.:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches along the canal routing. :

VeniceSailInChurch.jpg

I have been to Venice four times in summer and in September. I have never noticed a bad smell and even if there was one it would never put me off going there. The downside of being in Venice in summer is the crowds not the smell but you can get away from the crowds by exploring away from the main Piazza and main tourist routes. Venice is an amazing and unique city and don't let anyone put you off going there.

Not sure about the multi-font, full-page photo posting above. Sort of looks like it's trying to look like a brochure or something. Photos might be appreciated more without the multi fonts, underlining and bolding. Reminds me of junk mail. Just my opinion.

We were in Venice from July 9 to 15 (with a two night side trip to Bologna July 12-14). In all the stories I've told about that trip, not once have I mentioned anything about Venice being smelly.

I would say that it has the same air as most seaside towns, but that's just the smell of the ocean. I would definitely not call it "smelly".

Sometimes....depends on the tide levels. It would not stop me from going to Venice..I would say though unless you HAVE to go in August, I would not go to the Med in the summer. It is usually WAY to hot. You will find going to the Med in late spring or early fall that the airfare,crowds, and cruises are less. ;);)

I have been to Venice four times in summer and in September. I have never noticed a bad smell and even if there was one it would never put me off going there. The downside of being in Venice in summer is the crowds not the smell but you can get away from the crowds by exploring away from the main Piazza and main tourist routes. Venice is an amazing and unique city and don't let anyone put you off going there.

This is great advice. We tend to do this wherever we tour and\or visit. When we toured France last year we spent one day doing the tourist thing in Paris then lost ourselves where the tourist books ended. We have found cruising to be more challenging since you are in a concentrated space and time.

TLCOhio: thank you for responding and reminding me that it was your review and pictures that convinced DH and I to pick the cruise we did. We loved your photos and information.

We have found cruising to be more challenging since you are in a concentrated space and time. TLCOhio: thank you for responding and reminding me that it was your review and pictures that convinced DH and I to pick the cruise we did. We loved your photos and information.

Excellent point on the need for better research, planning and "priorities" when you only have one day in a port or area with so many great options.

Glad to hear, BOTH, that you like my pictures and that I helped push your DH into getting your 2012 booking done. I'll be looking for that commission check from Celebrity. I'm sure it's in the mail!!

Love Maine! Wonderful, charming and interesting state with its great coast and super sights.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 29,048 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Not sure about the multi-font, full-page photo posting above. Sort of looks like it's trying to look like a brochure or something. Photos might be appreciated more without the multi fonts, underlining and bolding. Reminds me of junk mail. Just my opinion.

T. Advisor King - :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Just my opinion.

Note to Terry: We LOVE your photos and the beneficial information you provide in all of your posts. I only wish I could take pictures like you!

Your photos have enhanced these CC boards. Keep up the good work.:)

Note to Terry: We LOVE your photos and the beneficial information you provide in all of your posts. I only wish I could take pictures like you! Your photos have enhanced these CC boards. Keep up the good work.:)

Appreciate your kind and nice comments. Glad you're one of those smart people with great wisdom and judgement from Southern California.

It's fun sharing some of these great sights from Europe, etc. These boards have been helpful to me in planning our four cruises since 2006. It has been good to "pay back" the favors we have received.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 28,853 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We've been twice in high summer, and the smell was not a noticeable feature. We got the odd unsavoury whiff in corners of back streets, but frankly it was better by far than that you would experience if you parked your car in a city centre car park with a stairwell!

Enjoy wandering, it's impossible to get truly lost, you can wander off in a random direction and before long you will see a sign painted on a wall, either to 'San Marco' or to 'Rialto'.

Venice was somewhere where I, too, had always longed to visit and we finally made it for our 25th wedding anniversary. The following year (2008) we took our first cruise, from Venice (and after our waxing lyrical about the city the children persuaded us to have a two-night pre-cruise stay) and next month we will be sailing into Venice with a two-night post-cruise stay! As a first 'sailaway' experience I cannot see how you can surpass Venice, from that evening alone I have hundreds of photos.

282662190_Venicegondolas1(600x450).jpg.a0df584d4a57187907f5805be5c27827.jpg

2053335444_P1000668(400x600).jpg.b97e3d5053d193c50a2d9f7326f8a7b1.jpg

1508462112_P1000673(600x400).jpg.5f6be621339c052c8b9fd2e268cd7a87.jpg

1449698603_P1000721(600x400).jpg.80702f805ccfc4f2c552d4d765404024.jpg

Venice was somewhere where I, too, had always longed to visit and we finally made it for our 25th wedding anniversary. The following year (2008) we took our first cruise, from Venice (and after our waxing lyrical about the city the children persuaded us to have a two-night pre-cruise stay) and next month we will be sailing into Venice with a two-night post-cruise stay! As a first 'sailaway' experience I cannot see how you can surpass Venice, from that evening alone I have hundreds of photos.

Thanks for sharing your photos. They are beautiful.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your time in Venice. I will look forward to more pictures ;).

Archived