As Oceania canceled Regatta fall 2012 ?

AzoresW

I just went into the Azamara site to see if Azamara is canceling cruises after they have been posted and people have made deposits. They have and are. Whereas on this site, we are all guessing what is happening with Regatta as of September 1, Azamara's board has 1. the cruise critic host and 2. Azamara's Chief Blogging Officer providing information about their mysterious vanishing cruises. The ship is being chartered. End of speculation.

Does Oceania have a cruise critic host? The equivalent of a Chief Blogging Officer? If someone in an official capacity could explain the situation with Regatta, people wouldn't come up with all sorts of scenarios.

Does Oceania have a cruise critic host? The equivalent of a Chief Blogging Officer? If someone in an official capacity could explain the situation with Regatta, people wouldn't come up with all sorts of scenarios.

I agree there should be some sort of report on the Oceania website or even here on CC of what is happening.

Since we all know the upper management DOES read the posts here.

It does not give one a sense of security when such secrecy continues

It could be detrimental to business

JMO

Lyn

If Regatta does Canada/New England in the early autumn of 2012, it will be exactly when and where we want to go! :)

We planned to do Canada/New England this year on Regatta, but as with some other people on our sailing, the move off offers/uprades were just too good to pass up and we had to cancel, yet we still want to do this itinerary. I just wish we didn't have to wait until 2012 to do it, but 2012 is better than 2013.

We're hoping that there will be more North American homeport cruises on Oceania, and would dearly love some more out of California.

To Oceans & Rivers:

You will be pleased.

To everyone else:

Regatta's revised itineraries will be released later this week.

FDR

Thank you for posting

Looking forward to seeing the new itineraries

Lyn

To Oceans & Rivers:

You will be pleased.

To everyone else:

FDR

Now you have us all intrigued. Hope Oceans & Rivers will be pleased because you'll be cruising out of California!! But I think it's because you'll be doing Canada/New England...

Now you have us all intrigued. Hope Oceans & Rivers will be pleased because you'll be cruising out of California!! But I think it's because you'll be doing Canada/New England...

Maybe I'll be very lucky and it will be BOTH! ...i.e. early autumn Canada/New England (as early as possible, because we want to follow the cruise with a road trip in New England while the leaves are in peak color), plus yes, yes, yes, CALIFORNIA cruises, and preferably round trip.

And need I add that San Francisco is our favorite embarkation port?

We did a lovely round trip San Francisco cruise (it was full or nearly so) on Celebrity Mercury one year that stopped at Monterey, Los Angeles (was supposed to be the much better port of Santa Barbara), San Diego (a great day or overnight port of call), Santa Catalina, and the obligatory short stop at Ensenada, Mexico. We would love to do something like that again. The ship was full of people from the San Francisco Bay Area and other parts of the West Coast and also had a contingent of Europeans. San Francisco is a big draw for many people.

Another possibility: Princess Cruises did a unique California round trip Panama Canal cruise one year that we didn't book because frankly, it was on Princess and nickel-and-diming and smoke are not to our liking, but an itinerary that would include the Canal, Huatulco and overnights in Costa Rica would be very interesting and unique, we think.

I'm curious to know if Regatta, as a much smaller ship, is capable of doing a Great Lakes itinerary from Toronto to Chicago? Hapag-Lloyd will be renaming the Insignia Columbus 2 and their previous Columbus did Great Lakes cruises that were quite popular.

It will be interesting to see what the itineraries will be.

Is there a contest regarding itineraries this year, too? ;):D

Oh, and on another subject, please try to bring Victoria back to the August 26, 2011 Regatta sailing!

Orig posted by fjdelrio:

"To Oceans & Rivers:

You will be pleased.

To everyone else:

FDR"

To Oceans & Rivers:

You will be pleased.

To everyone else:

FDR

Thank you very much for the personalized feedback. I do appreciate it very much. :)

First up, however, is our very first Oceania cruise next week on Regatta round trip San Francisco to Alaska. We are extremely saddened to learn of the proposed and extensive changes to that itinerary, especially with regards to Victoria, whose Butchart Gardens is a highlight of the cruise for many people, including us, and hope very much that you can find a way to reinstate Victoria, at the least (while not dropping Sitka or the Inside Passage, of course!).

I'm curious to know if Regatta, as a much smaller ship, is capable of doing a Great Lakes itinerary from Toronto to Chicago? Hapag-Lloyd will be renaming the Insignia Columbus 2 and their previous Columbus did Great Lakes cruises that were quite popular.

The R ships are too larger to make past Montreal

The Columbus is a much smaller ship & JUST makes it through the

Welland Canal

Lyn

Could the R ships sail up (and back down) the Columbia? I would love a cruise like that - 7 or 8 days out of San Francisco - include Astoria and Portland........

I think the R ships are too big, but we did that itinerary with Lindblad - http://www.expeditions.com Their ship, the Sea Lion, sails roundtrip from Portland, stopping in Astoria and many of the Lewis and Clark sites. It sails down the Columbia and Snake Rivers and winds up back in Portland. The cruise is 6 days and most people stay one night in the hotel behind which the ship is located. We did it in 2006, to celebrate the bicentenial of the Lewis and Clark expedition. A great cruise.

I think the R ships are too big, but we did that itinerary with Lindblad - http://www.expeditions.com Their ship, the Sea Lion, sails roundtrip from Portland, stopping in Astoria and many of the Lewis and Clark sites. It sails down the Columbia and Snake Rivers and winds up back in Portland. The cruise is 6 days and most people stay one night in the hotel behind which the ship is located. We did it in 2006, to celebrate the bicentenial of the Lewis and Clark expedition. A great cruise.

I found a website for the Columbia River Pilots, which gives detailed information about channels, drafts, tides, etc.

Here it is:

http://www.colrip.com/pages/TransitInformation.aspx

It begins "The Columbia River channel is currently maintained to a depth of 43 feet and a width of 600 feet. The Willamette River channel is 43 feet deep up to approximately river mile 2, from that point the controlling depth is 40 feet...."

I just received an email announcement from Oceania about the redeploying of Regatta from Europe to US/Canada in the fall of 2012. The claim is made that the travel partners were so excited by this possibility that they made the change. (I'm not trying to cast doubt on the statement because several of the itineraries looked very interesting to me as a NYC resident.)

Bookings will open tomorrow for the new itineraries.

Aug 30 | Mediterranean Splendors, 12 days, Istanbul to Lisbon

Sept 11 | Colonial Passage, 14 days, Lisbon to New York

Sept 25 | Colors, Coasts & Coves, 12 days, New York to Montreal

Oct 7 | Colors, Coasts & Coves, 12 days, Montreal to New York

Oct 19 | Autumn Vistas, 14 days, New York to New York

Nov 2 | Enchanted Amazon, 25 days, New York to Miami

Nov 27 | Caribbean Interlude, 7 days, Miami to Miami

Mura

I think the R ships are too big, but we did that itinerary with Lindblad - www.expeditions.com Their ship, the Sea Lion, sails roundtrip from Portland, stopping in Astoria and many of the Lewis and Clark sites. It sails down the Columbia and Snake Rivers and winds up back in Portland. The cruise is 6 days and most people stay one night in the hotel behind which the ship is located. We did it in 2006, to celebrate the bicentenial of the Lewis and Clark expedition. A great cruise.

Sounds great. I would so love to do this - inquired once with a cruise line that had "little ships" several places in North America, but their rates for 6-7 days in a cubicle were outrageous. Seriously, for another $1000 pp we could have done a 10-12-day cruise with air, etc., on Oceania in Europe! Guess what? They went bankrupt, out-of-business, kaput. Sic transit gloria mundi.

But, thanks - I have bookmarked expeditions.com for the future.

I just received an email announcement from Oceania about the redeploying of Regatta from Europe to US/Canada in the fall of 2012. The claim is made that the travel partners were so excited by this possibility that they made the change. (I'm not trying to cast doubt on the statement because several of the itineraries looked very interesting to me as a NYC resident.)

Bookings will open tomorrow for the new itineraries.

Aug 30 | Mediterranean Splendors, 12 days, Istanbul to Lisbon

Sept 11 | Colonial Passage, 14 days, Lisbon to New York

Sept 25 | Colors, Coasts & Coves, 12 days, New York to Montreal

Oct 7 | Colors, Coasts & Coves, 12 days, Montreal to New York

Oct 19 | Autumn Vistas, 14 days, New York to New York

Nov 2 | Enchanted Amazon, 25 days, New York to Miami

Nov 27 | Caribbean Interlude, 7 days, Miami to Miami

Mura

How about B2Bs of either #1 & #2 or #2 & #3? Winners, both! But, obviously, Mura, they love you more than they do me -- I have received no such announcement. (Sob.)

Don't cry, Hunging. It's because they seem to think we are travel agents! I don't know why, we just signed up for ordinary email. I imagine we'll get the "passenger" notice tomorrow.

Yes, I really liked some of those B2B ideas ... I wish I could convince DH that many days on a ship is a GOOD thing.

By the way, are you a Wagner fan? Just asking.

Mura

Don't cry, Hunging. It's because they seem to think we are travel agents! I don't know why, we just signed up for ordinary email. I imagine we'll get the "passenger" notice tomorrow.

Yes, I really liked some of those B2B ideas ... I wish I could convince DH that many days on a ship is a GOOD thing.

By the way, are you a Wagner fan? Just asking.

Mura

Oh, you bet! ;)

Somehow your handle is a dead giveaway! My apologies for the typo in your name!

We were at Bayreuth for 3 performances in 2008. We are NOT Wagner fans (although we are opera fans, and in fact I'm a singer) but a friend had two extra tickets and needed someone to go with him so we figured it was now or never. Despite my feeling about Wagner's music, we enjoyed the performances ... if not the productions! (As a youngster I loathed his music but now I actually like some of it.)

Maybe we can talk on board and not take a valuable space with a digression!

Mura

Archived