Denied Boarding

Stella's Tips

I would expect a TA to know the rules regarding Visa's and to inform clients when they are required.

Ditto. It's probably the BEST reason to use a TA for any travel outside of your home country. However, that method isn't foolproof. I'm an experienced traveler, but had a last minute business trip to Australia and didn't even consider the Visa issue. My TA didn't mention anything. The day before my boss said, "You have your Visa, right?" Um, no. Didn't occur to me during the last minute flurry of booking the trip. Luckily TAs can turn these around quickly. I was still frustrated the TA didn't mention this ahead of time. So, my lesson learned is to always ask, "do I need any special documentation?"

Imagine what some of the passengers are going through right now in San Juan.

Last night Carnival Victory was suppose to depart at 10pm but because of the storm the port had to close and the ship left at 6pm.

US citizens did not need a passport to fly into PR. If any of them do not have passports they will not be able to meet the ship in Barbados since the St Thomas port of call was missed today.

I am wondering though if travel insurance would cover this.

Does TI cover not being able to meet the ship at next port if you do not have a passport?

As for us we are passport advocates, LOL I refuse to be a poster child for a YouTube video;)

Bingo!!!

How many times do stories like this have to be told before people 'get it'.......... as in GET A PASSPORT. In this day and age, it is inconceivable to me people still resist. What are they thinking??? :eek: :confused:

As useful as the passport is, bear in mind during a medical emergency it is almost always the medical condition that has the most impact on whether or not you can fly on a commercial airliner to get home. Medjet Assist requires that you are both hospitalized and that you are stable for transport to the US hospital. That can take at least a week in the case of a heart attack. Much longer in traumatic injury cases. If you just have a broken leg, you can probably get medical permission to fly, but you may have to wait for the swelling and bruising to subside. Plus you have to decide if sitting in a commercial airline seat for hours on end is even possible with your cast. Many physicians will not release you to fly if there is concern about DVT.

Yes, I agree that already having the passport is far preferable to having to also obtain a passport in this sort of instance. But really, that paperwork is the least of your worries and difficulties if such a misfortune should befall you.

Everyone here who posts that they have the passport because of the possibility of an emergency REALLY should have both emergency transport insurance and emergency international medical insurance. If you don't, that passport is not going to get you home any faster than if you only had a BC and a DL.

Eta-here is a link to one airline's published medical policies about flying after a medical injury or accident:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/healthmedinfo/public/en_gb

Yes, Medjet Assist uses medical transport services, not commercial aircraft. In order for them to transport you, you must be A) hospitalized and B) medically safe for travel. Many people who cannot be transported via commercial carrier can be transported by emergency medical transport. It is getting the hospital to say you are stable but still need hospitalization that is the key point. And why having EMT coverage is so vital if traveling far from home.

I looked at the fine print of the policy for our upcoming trip, which has pretty good coverage...

Under the exceptions section:

"Any losses incurred including but not limited to Interruptions, cancellations, diversions or delays due to INSURED not possessing required travel documents, governmental approval or identification."

Imagine what some of the passengers are going through right now in San Juan.

Last night Carnival Victory was suppose to depart at 10pm but because of the storm the port had to close and the ship left at 6pm.

US citizens did not need a passport to fly into PR. If any of them do not have passports they will not be able to meet the ship in Barbados since the St Thomas port of call was missed today.

I am wondering though if travel insurance would cover this.

Does TI cover not being able to meet the ship at next port if you do not have a passport?

As for us we are passport advocates, LOL I refuse to be a poster child for a YouTube video;)

Thanks for your comment.

I'm Canadian, travel overseas, and bottom line is, a passport is excellent ID and a requirement of many countries.

If you travel to any country besides your own, get a passport.

Reality in this day and age, inconvenient or not.

cheers and happy cruising,

Dianne

victoria, BC

Hate to disagree but 90% of my Canadian/UK/Australian friends & relatives have passports because they bothered to find out what the requirements were and /or simply accept that foreign travel requires proper documentation. 90% of my American friends and cruise clients have to be told over and over what they need and resist getting a passport because it's inconvenient. So, let's not make crude assumption about how dumb other cultures are shall we?

My boyfriend and I are flying to Florida from New England in November for a Caribbean cruise. We are going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Grand Turk. He is a Permanent US resident although not a US citizen yet. Do you know if the required documention is the same for a Permanent resident as it is for a US Citizen? He has a passport but it is Bosnian vs. US and it expires a few months after we are supposed to sail. He is waiting to get a new one (US) once he takes his Citizenship test. He has his Permanent Resident card.

We have filled out all the information on the Cruise Personalizer. Would Princess contact us if there were any issues?

Thanks!!

PS - I have a passport so I have no worries for me.... :)

How many months out is his Bosnian one? Unless he needs a lot of visas, its probably simplest to use that if it expires 6 months or later after end of cruise...

Based on the WHTI site the closed loop, er, loophole only applies to US citizens..

His LPR status will be fine for getting back into the US, but you will need to check with each island how it is handled there.

My boyfriend and I are flying to Florida from New England in November for a Caribbean cruise. We are going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Grand Turk. He is a Permanent US resident although not a US citizen yet. Do you know if the required documention is the same for a Permanent resident as it is for a US Citizen? He has a passport but it is Bosnian vs. US and it expires a few months after we are supposed to sail. He is waiting to get a new one (US) once he takes his Citizenship test. He has his Permanent Resident card.

We have filled out all the information on the Cruise Personalizer. Would Princess contact us if there were any issues? ETA CBP Link https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Thanks!!

We have filled out all the information on the Cruise Personalizer. Would Princess contact us if there were any issues?

Thanks!!

Doubt Princess would contact you, as it's the passenger's responsibility to obtain necessary travel documents. Don't rely on visa advice you received on a chat board. Check out requirements with the country's embassy.

Doubt Princess would contact you, as it's the passenger's responsibility to obtain necessary travel documents. Don't rely on visa advice you received on a chat board. Check out requirements with the country's embassy.

I've tried finding information on this via the specific countries but can't seem to find anything. Do you know of a site that would assist me?

Thanks!!

YOu say his Bosnian Passport expires "a few months" after the cruise. If it is not good for at least 6 months after the cruise, that is likely to be a big problem.

Use this site as a STARTING point - they exist to sell visa services but their info is usually quite current:

http://www.visahq.com/visas.php

Also, I thought I pasted this prior, here is the US CBP site on it:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

I've tried finding information on this via the specific countries but can't seem to find anything. Do you know of a site that would assist me?

Can your BW hold dual citizenship (i.e. US and Bosnian passports). If so just renew his Bosnian passport also check each county visa requirements for Bosnian passports.

Ron

Can your BW hold dual citizenship (i.e. US and Bosnian passports). If so just renew his Bosnian passport also check each county visa requirements for Bosnian passports.

Ron

This isn't a dual citizenship issue. He's not a US citizen yet...he's a legal permanent resident of the US. The only passport he can obtain right now is Bosnian.

Archived