Denied Boarding

Stella's Tips

Yes, that's true.

Experienced travelers know better but often those who are new to travel don't understand. They sometimes (like here) learn the hard way.

Also...

In the US, we are used to fending for ourselves, but in other cultures, companies make sure (some say "hand hold") their customers have all the necessary information. I feel for those that think along the lines of "if there were a problem, they would have told me" because of how things work in their countries.

With that said, those that travel with foreign Passports (not USA or Canadian etc.) should know what requirements and restrictions apply to them.

I wouldn't make an exception for USA or Canadian passport-holders... all people traveling outside of the country (foreigner or otherwise) should know ahead of time what the requirements are.

I wouldn't make an exception for USA or Canadian passport-holders... all people traveling outside of the country (foreigner or otherwise) should know ahead of time what the requirements are.

Fair enough / agreed. In the context used, I was referring to travels to / through the USA and Canada.

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

OK, I temper my comment. But most people do not know that there are '2 types' of BC's. We had used our Hospital Certs since 1987 to cruise, which will not work any longer.

All of that is wonderful assuming NOTHING goes wrong on the cruise. However, we have all heard the tales of the passenger who falls ill in one of these ports and has to be medically transported home or some other disaster and without a passport that isn't going to happen. While it is convenient to be able to travel on a closed loop cruise with just a driver's license and a birth certificate that would not enable one to fly out of a foreign country back to the USA if the ship were missed due to a late excursion, illness, injury or other mishap. One is MUCH better off traveling outside the USA with a passport for ID.

She got really lucky. Technically a fax is not acceptable because it does not have the raised seal...

It is not a requirement that the cruise line accept only BC's with raised seals. It requires a BC to be issue from an official government agency . Due to the fact that a raised seal can easily be replicated by a counterfeiter, many goverment agencies have discontinued using raised seals and are now embedding the seal into the actual paper threads much like a watermark. Thus minimizing the chance of a counterfeit document being used.

BTW - my BC issued in the state of Illinois by the county does not have a raised seal and has an embedded seal which the cruise lines have accepted and the US Passport Office accepted.

Just a note for any US citizen on a cruise that stops in Barbados. Barbados requires all US passengers (I don't know about any other country) to have a passport. You pass through their immigration with your passport before being allowed out of the port.

We were in Barbados twice this year and never showed a passport or anything else except our ship's ID and driver's license. We have visited Barbados at least a dozen or more times without carrying our passports ashore.

I just use it to find out if a visa is required, it's generally accurate on that. Then I go to the actually web site for the country in question to get the details.

I don't really like this site because it fails to tell you whether you can get the required visa at the entry point or if you have to apply ahead of time. visahq is in the business of obtaining visas for people and making a healthy profit while they're at it. For instance, all US and Canadians can enter Indonesia and buy a visa at the airport when they land for $20 US. visahq charges $145 for this same visa!

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that change, the states around me aren't quite that advanced I guess.

Either way, a fax is often not legally acceptable as a transit document.

It is not a requirement that the cruise line accept only BC's with raised seals. It requires a BC to be issue from an official government agency . Due to the fact that a raised seal can easily be replicated by a counterfeiter, many goverment agencies have discontinued using raised seals and are now embedding the seal into the actual paper threads much like a watermark. Thus minimizing the chance of a counterfeit document being used.

BTW - my BC issued in the state of Illinois by the county does not have a raised seal and has an embedded seal which the cruise lines have accepted and the US Passport Office accepted.

I dont understand why someone wouldnt have a passport today? It is a useful piece of photo ID and its good for 10 years. I carry my current passport on trips as well as the expired one (because it has several multi-year visas in it that havent expired) and a passport card (although its only good for ground border crossings from Canada and Mexico in to US) so I am covered with multiple forms of photo ID.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

The whole closed loop or not isnt the only criteria for determining passport requirement. Some Caribbean island countries do require passports for visitors even if they arrive by ship, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barthelemy, St. Martin and Trinidad and Tobago are among them. I think most cruise lines made the passport a requirement to make it easier for them.

Just a note for any US citizen on a cruise that stops in Barbados. Barbados requires all US passengers (I don't know about any other country) to have a passport. You pass through their immigration with your passport before being allowed out of the port.

Hi,

I do have US passport ( my third one ) so it so Ok with me for this requirement ...... but are you sure about the above statement.

It is my understanding that Barbados require a passport from US citizens if they arrive by air or if they arrive by a cruise ship and stay there more than 24 hours , or if their cruise starts or ends in Barbados........ but there is an exception for US citizens who are on a cruise that only stops in Barbados for less than 24 hours - those 'guests' do not have to have US passport.

That is my understanding of their 'requirements' to enter Barbados.

I just wonder what would happen if one is on a cruise that just stops there and one gets sick in Barbados and has to stay there for more than 24 hours or if one misses the ship's departure time and has to fly out - how would they handle that ? I guess it is good to have the passport just in case.

Wes

Hi,

I do have US passport ( my third one ) so it so Ok with me for this requirement ...... but are you sure about the above statement.

It is my understanding that Barbados require a passport from US citizens if they arrive by air or if they arrive by a cruise ship and stay there more than 24 hours , or if their cruise starts or ends in Barbados........ but there is an exception for US citizens who are on a cruise that only stops in Barbados for less than 24 hours - those 'guests' do not have to have US passport.

I just wonder what would happen if one is on a cruise that just stops there and one gets sick in Barbados and has to stay there for more than 24 hours or if one misses the ship's departure time and has to fly out - how would they handle that ? I guess it is good to have the passport just in case.

Wes

Yes, that's correct. However if you have to fly out of Barbados you will need a passport.

http://www.barbados.org/docs_cruiseships.htm

Barbados Travel Documents: Cruise Ship Passengers

Visas are not required for passengers on cruise ships with the exception of citizens of the C.I.S., Eastern European countries, People's Republic of China, Taiwan, South Africa and Korea.

Cruise ship passengers who are "in-transit" and stay less than 24 hours are not required to carry a valid passport.

However, if you are beginning and ending your trip in Barbados or are "in-transit" to take a flight at the Grantley Adams International Airport, you are required to possess a valid passport.

You may also contact the Barbados Immigration Department at: 1-800-268-9122 for more information.

And that's the issue. If this happens, you may be forced to stay in the country where you are ill (with the related medical resources) or missed the ship until the US Consulate can arrange a passport or other emergency documentation.

And usually travel insurance will not cover this expense.

Hi,

Wes

Yes, that's correct. However if you have to fly out of Barbados you will need a passport. ...........

Hi,

so my understanding of the requirements is correct...... and that is why I am curious what does a US citizen without the US passport, who is on a cruise just stopping in Barbados do, in case if that person had to stay in Barbados longer than the permited 24 hours.

Does one have to obtain the US passport ( while in Barbados ) or pay a fine ? or do they just 'allow' you to depart without any problems ?

I believe in obtaining a passport if anyone is going to travel anywhere outside of their country ...... that is the best ID to have.

Wes

1 surely its the passenger who booked the holiday to check they no the relevant documents needed to travel on the holiday they have booked.

every british citizen needs a passport to travel around the world ,isnt it wise for everyone who travels to consider a passport as their main photo i,d

Also...

In the US, we are used to fending for ourselves, but in other cultures, companies make sure (some say "hand hold") their customers have all the necessary information. I feel for those that think along the lines of "if there were a problem, they would have told me" because of how things work in their countries.

Hate to disagree but 90% of my Canadian/UK/Australian friends & relatives have passports because they bothered to find out what the requirements were and /or simply accept that foreign travel requires proper documentation. 90% of my American friends and cruise clients have to be told over and over what they need and resist getting a passport because it's inconvenient. So, let's not make crude assumption about how dumb other cultures are shall we?

Imagine what some of the passengers are going through right now in San Juan.

Last night Carnival Victory was suppose to depart at 10pm but because of the storm the port had to close and the ship left at 6pm.

US citizens did not need a passport to fly into PR. If any of them do not have passports they will not be able to meet the ship in Barbados since the St Thomas port of call was missed today.

I am wondering though if travel insurance would cover this.

Does TI cover not being able to meet the ship at next port if you do not have a passport?

As for us we are passport advocates, LOL I refuse to be a poster child for a YouTube video;)

Imagine what some of the passengers are going through right now in San Juan.

Last night Carnival Victory was suppose to depart at 10pm but because of the storm the port had to close and the ship left at 6pm.

US citizens did not need a passport to fly into PR. If any of them do not have passports they will not be able to meet the ship in Barbados since the St Thomas port of call was missed today.

I am wondering though if travel insurance would cover this.

Does TI cover not being able to meet the ship at next port if you do not have a passport?

As for us we are passport advocates, LOL I refuse to be a poster child for a YouTube video;)

I agree, and continue to be amazed that people just won't get a passport. They will spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol on their cruse, but complain that passports are too expensive.

There are many, many different travel insurance policies, but I am not sure exactly what coverage you are asking about. Airfare cost to the next port? Refunding your cruise fare because you didn't have a passport that allowed you to fly to the next port? Any policy I've had would not cover the latter, because it's your responsibility to have the correct travel documents. Travel insurance does not usually cover "stupid".

I agree, and continue to be amazed that people just won't get a passport. They will spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol on their cruse, but complain that passports are too expensive.

There are many, many different travel insurance policies, but I am not sure exactly what coverage you are asking about. Airfare cost to the next port? Refunding your cruise fare because you didn't have a passport that allowed you to fly to the next port? Any policy I've had would not cover the latter, because it's your responsibility to have the correct travel documents. Travel insurance does not usually cover "stupid".

One can insure against most things but not against ones own stupidity.

Ron

One can insure against most things but not against ones own stupidity.

Ron

I would have to agree with this as well.

I did not think not have a passport would be covered.

What I am continually amazed at is how someone will post for the first time 1-3 weeks before cruising and ask what documents do they need.

We may be first time cruisers but but before booking I explored what documents we would need.

I think it is sad that when folks do not get a passport saying the cost is too high. They fail to realize that if anything were to happen they would be paying 5 times the cost if not more per person. Hotels for X amount of days waiting for a passport to be issued, the cost of expedited passport, the added cost of food, and finally the added cost .. probably the highest cost ... for airline tickets from point A to point B.

I recall reading about a year ago about someone who had to pay $800. for 1 person to be flown home because they got put off the ship.:eek:

Archived