To drink, or not to drink....that is the question!

terjul

If you bring wine on board, where do you prefer to drink it? In the MDR with your meal, or in your cabin ;) Do you have any issues when taking a corkscrew on board, or do you pay the corkage fee?

So many questions, so little wine. :rolleyes:

I drink the wine I bring onboard in my cabin and around the ship. You are allowed to carry it out of your cabin, in the wine glasses provided. But if going out on open decks (such as Lido pool area), they will want you to switch to one of their plastic cups, to prevent broken glass on the deck in case of an accident.

At dinner in the MDR, I order a bottle of wine and leave it there for the next night. I don't carry my brought-from-home wine into the MDR.

I've never had any issues with bringing on a corkscrew. I bring one every cruise. I don't hide it - it is always clearly visible in my carry-on luggage, with my bottle of wine.

Enjoy your wine!:)

We always bring one bottle of champagne to toast sailaway and one bottle of wine, which I drink throughout the trip on my balcony. When I'm on deck, I want a cold beer or an occasional DOD. I usually drink water or tea at dinner... have to take a break sometime. :)

If you bring wine on board, where do you prefer to drink it? In the MDR with your meal, or in your cabin ;) Do you have any issues when taking a corkscrew on board, or do you pay the corkage fee?

So many questions, so little wine. :rolleyes:

We drink our wine just about everywhere. Sometimes in the cabin, sometimes while walking around, sometimes in the bars/lounges, sometimes in the MDR. We usually drink it at night after pouring a glass in the cabin.

I've had no issue packing a corkscrew in my checked luggage. I have also never been charged the corkage fee, but we usually just bring a glass of wine into the MDR.

I open my wine in my cabin and drink it where ever I go. I rarely take it to dinner. My favorite is to drink a glass on the forward deck of the ship on the Lido while watching pier runners. :D

I have carried my own cork screw several times. Sometimes the one the ship provides is tiny and hard to use. Never had an issue.

We always bring one bottle of champagne to toast sailaway and one bottle of wine, which I drink throughout the trip on my balcony. When I'm on deck, I want a cold beer or an occasional DOD. I usually drink water or tea at dinner... have to take a break sometime. :)

If I go solo but pay double they should let me take 2 bottles on board, one for the person you just can't see!:rolleyes:

I open mine in my cabin for sailaway.

So I plan on bringing two bottles of wine, one for me and one for my hubby that does not drink.

I've read several times that YES you can bring the corkscrew opener and NO you cannot, or it was taken at check in.

So hmmm what is my best way to be sure. Do I pack in my suitcase and take the chance of it going to the naughty room, or do I put in my carry on and take the chance of the port taking it?

Best advise please...

Hmm I guess I could buy one of those automatic wine openers and Bed Bath & Beyond. They run around $50-70. Maybe that would be my best bet.?? Anyone have one of those? How do they work??

We bring a corckscrew in checked luggage, never had a problem. If they did take it for some reason, your steward can always hook you up with a CCL one.

We're not planning to check luggage on the way there. :cool:

We drink our wine just about everywhere. Sometimes in the cabin, sometimes while walking around, sometimes in the bars/lounges, sometimes in the MDR. We usually drink it at night after pouring a glass in the cabin.

I've had no issue packing a corkscrew in my checked luggage. I have also never been charged the corkage fee, but we usually just bring a glass of wine into the MDR.

I actually had no idea that you could take a glass of wine into the MDR. I thought you had to take the entire unopened bottle in and pay the corkage fee. This is good to know!

DH doesn't drink anymore, so we usually bring on one or two bottles just for me. We used to buy a bottle of wine in the MDR and leave it for subsequent nights, but for the past few cruises, we kept finding that any wine we ordered ended up arriving near the end of dinner. We like to start dinner with a drink, so we just found it easier to either bring a glass of wine from the cabin, or pick up our drinks (wine, DOD, pop) from the bar near the MDR entrance. None of our waiters has ever had a problem with it. I leave the empty wine glass in the MDR and our cabin steward always has a new clean glass waiting in the cabin.

As for corkscrews, we usually take a folding travel corkscrew with us - either in checked luggage if we're flying, or in carryon if we're not.

So I plan on bringing two bottles of wine, one for me and one for my hubby that does not drink.

I've read several times that YES you can bring the corkscrew opener and NO you cannot, or it was taken at check in.

So hmmm what is my best way to be sure. Do I pack in my suitcase and take the chance of it going to the naughty room, or do I put in my carry on and take the chance of the port taking it?

Best advise please...

Hmm I guess I could buy one of those automatic wine openers and Bed Bath & Beyond. They run around $50-70. Maybe that would be my best bet.?? Anyone have one of those? How do they work??

The best advice I can give is to bring the compact, 2-part travel style corkscrew (usually a dollar or two at your local beer/wine store). And put it in your carry-on luggage. This what I carry now.

CKS.jpg

But I used to carry my bigger "swimmy man" (what my kids call it 'cause the movement looks like a person swimming) style corkscrew, also in my carry-on and never had a problem. I believe other people when they say they had theirs confiscated at the port, but I never have. Luck of the draw maybe, but I have had inspectors pick it up, look at it, then put it back in my suitcase. I just switched to the other kind to save space and weight in my luggage.

800px-Corkscrew_P1150886.jpg

Cheers!:)

Edited to add: I don't fly to my cruises anymore, so of course if flying, don't follow my put-it-in-your-carry-on advice. ;)

I always fill my wine glass to the brim:eek:...then take it with me on my pre-dinner 'travels' and into the MDR (sometimes the late seating show is BEFORE dinner!). Leave the glass in the MDR (if I'm done) and as mentioned a clean one is usually provided in the cabin (you can also get some from room service or any bar)

I bring one red and one white and try to choose based on what I 'anticipate' I will be having in the dining room :)

I bring a corkscrew in my checked luggage and I know the room steward will get you one if you need it!

Archived