Seasickness prevention

Dolly Rocker

Hey,

I have been on a cruise before & was fine but my hubby hasnt.

Just wondering I know they talk about bonine but thinks thats an american product - can we get anything to take before we go to try & prevent seasickness - I heard ginger tablets but not sure where I would get them.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

We're going on freedom of the seas 4th September 2011

L x x

You can get ginger tablets and also pieces of crystallised ginger from Holland & Barrett.

Take a look at Boots website for travel sickness tablets. You can also buy wristbands.

I've seen Stugeron 15 and Avomine being recommended on these boards.

You should be able to buy travel sickness tablets from the pursers office onboard ship.

I take SeaLegs with me, but meclizine tablets are available free in individual packets in or just outside the medical centre waiting room on RCI ships

Also at the Guest Relations Desk!!!

Meclizine is the best!!

Also at the Guest Relations Desk!!!

Meclizine is the best!!

Especially when you mistakenly take both tablets in the packet, instead of twelve hours apart:o I've never felt so good in rocky seas:)

OH has felt a little queasy in rough weather, but just takes Stugeron from Boots.

He was queasy swimming in the forward pool in the Bay of Biscay....mind you, the water was sloshing out of the pool! :eek:

Jo.

We read about Bonine on these boards before our first cruise and my husband swears by it in the form of SeaLegs. We've had some rough crossings through the BoB etc but have never missed a meal :D:D. We buy Sealegs online and always have them in reserve ready for our next cruise. Sure you can also buy bonine / meclizine as pastilles to chew bu not sure what they're called.

I have gotten seasick on just about every cruise I've been on (except the River cruises...) EXCEPT the last one to Bermuda. Someone suggested BONINE and it worked like a charm BUT you need to start taking it 24 hours before setting sail and continue to take it every 12 hours while at sea. It worked like a charm for me and I've tried everything else including Dramamine and prescription patches. I have a very sensitive inner ear and although I KNEW the boat was rocking in moderate to rough seas, the message never got to my stomach and I never got queasy!!

Apparently Bonine (meclizine) can be obtained on board most ships. Although it is found in Dramamine it is a different formulation and did NOT make me sleepy!

Happy sailing on smooth seas!

I tend to get seasick but always take Traveleeze and it always works for me even in really rough weather.

I think the secret is to take it before you start to feel ill, I always listen to the Captains forecast and take one if there is any mention of rough seas.

Julie

Hi, took onboard all of everyones suggestions......but is there any problems with taking multiple versions at once? ie. different brands? i dont have problems with cruising, but my family are sublect to travel sickness, so want to dose them up as much as possible!!

cheers

I do remember when being on an RCI ship, that their medical room used to keep a set of envelopes with some seasickness tablets in them. And at the time they were free.

Found these worked a treat, but they were only needed while we were travelling through the Bay of Biscay on a bad day.

ScrozUK

• 1 month later...

I get dreadfully travel sick, and I've found wristbands help immensely (probably placebo, but who cares??). I also take Stugeron (I find Sudafed makes me very sleepy). The important thing with an TS pill is to take it early - at least an hour in advance of the seas getting rough. Keep an eye on the weather forecast, and if you see any indication that the pools are being closed, take your tablets then - don't wait for the announcement that bad weather is on its way! Also worth going to the bar and speaking to a friendly barman - every time I mention I'm feeling a bit queasy, they dig out some ginger ale and dry cream crackers!

• 2 months later...
Speaking of the Bay of Biscay, is it only rough during the Winter months or can it be bad in Summer too?

The only cruise I have done (two months ago, I'm a newbie to this) was flying out to Venice to meet the ship, so I've not done the dreaded B of B!

The BoB can be rough in summer too, it is quite unpredictable, it can also be calm in winter. We both take Stugeron as we have found by experience that they work best for us.

We went to the Shop on board a RCI Ship to buy some Pills for the wife, they didnt have, any but the Guy behind the counter suggested that the Medical Station was now closed. Just as you enter on the right is a disspenser with Pills for the Crew. He was right when we got there the station was closed and the Pills were on the wall. :D:D

Archived