Confession of a Cruise Ship Obsession

webfoot3

I have been wondering these boards for about four years now. I do not post to often because I get more enjoyment from taking in the information that others share. I have learned from some of the negitive comments, but to be honest I have never had a bad cruise (bad moments, to be sure) but nothing that I have felt the need to share. We took our first cruise on the Mardi Gras in 1982. We took our one year old daughter with us and had a inside cabin on the Riviera deck. The only crib on board was a full sized wooden monster that took up most of the room. There was no high chairs in the dining room, just one small plastic booster seat that I had to secure my daughter in the chair with one of my belts wraped around the chair and her. Camp Carnival did not exist yet. If you wanted a babysitter you asked one of the girls in the gift shop if she would come to your cabin after she got off and you settled with her on a price. (we only did that once since we were on a strict budget)

But with all those drawbacks we had the time of our lives thanks to the wonderful people on the Mardi Gras who shared their lives with us that week, from our cabin steward who layed out my daugthers nightgown each evening and arranged her stuffed animals in her crib. Even Captain Mario would come down from the bridge to visit the baby when he saw us on the forward observation deck.

To be sure, over the years we have had some bad food and indifferant service on the lines we have sailed. I have seen the demise of most of the "oceanliner traditions" due to costs or just plain lack of interest. (tea time on Carnival ships will go away if we do not support it)

Walking the decks with my wife in my tux on formal nights still gives me a rush that lasts all evening. I long for a time that is rapidly fading.

But I must confess that watching the sun come up from the top deck when the ship is at sea is, was, and always will be one of the high points of my life. If all I had was a boxed lunch and a can of coke I would still feel like the richest man on board.

Be well, and good sailing

That was very well stated and I agree. Cruising is a wonderful experience and just like life, it is what you make of it. No matter what they do with dress codes, smoking policies, menus, etc. A bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at work! Bon voyage! :D

Well like you, we started cruising in the 80's, now with 65 cruises, 27 with Carnival and we loved every one of them. A few memorable moments dealing with hurricanes and such but nothing that has ever ruined our time on ship. Having retired from the customer service buisness there are some people that look for something to complain about. I know there are legitimate complaints but most of the time it is how you deal with them.I remember when our kids were home, we would go to the beach every year, sometimes it poured rain all day yet we never thought about complaining and asking for a refund. Just dealt with it and still had a great time.

I agree about customer service. I retired from over thirty years in retail management with two major department store chains. A legitamate customer complaint is a golden opportunity to make a friend. The problem is the customer who believes that the louder they yell or the further up the chain of command they go they will always get what they want. As upper management, it hurt me when I could not back up a subordinate who was right and had the companies best interest in mind. Most people really do take pride in their work.

I have memories of 14 wonderful cruises with the 15th booked for March. All have been with Carnival and I wouldn't think of changing what with the benefits of VIP. I can still remember how amazed and excited we were on our first cruise in 1995 on the Sensation. That's what got us hooked and we have been as excited ever sense. Sure, we know what to expect now but it gives me a year of satisfaction just thinking about the next cruise.

The ships keep changing and that makes a difference. Every couple of years we end up on a new one that is bigger than the last one and with more facilities. That too helps the excitment factor.

So God willing, if I can continue healthy, I plan to cruise each year until they get tired of carrying me on board.

i have been wondering these boards for about four years now. I do not post to often because i get more enjoyment from taking in the information that others share. I have learned from some of the negitive comments, but to be honest i have never had a bad cruise (bad moments, to be sure) but nothing that i have felt the need to share. We took our first cruise on the mardi gras in 1982. We took our one year old daughter with us and had a inside cabin on the riviera deck. The only crib on board was a full sized wooden monster that took up most of the room. There was no high chairs in the dining room, just one small plastic booster seat that i had to secure my daughter in the chair with one of my belts wraped around the chair and her. Camp carnival did not exist yet. If you wanted a babysitter you asked one of the girls in the gift shop if she would come to your cabin after she got off and you settled with her on a price. (we only did that once since we were on a strict budget)

but with all those drawbacks we had the time of our lives thanks to the wonderful people on the mardi gras who shared their lives with us that week, from our cabin steward who layed out my daugthers nightgown each evening and arranged her stuffed animals in her crib. Even captain mario would come down from the bridge to visit the baby when he saw us on the forward observation deck.

To be sure, over the years we have had some bad food and indifferant service on the lines we have sailed. I have seen the demise of most of the "oceanliner traditions" due to costs or just plain lack of interest. (tea time on carnival ships will go away if we do not support it)

walking the decks with my wife in my tux on formal nights still gives me a rush that lasts all evening. I long for a time that is rapidly fading.

But i must confess that watching the sun come up from the top deck when the ship is at sea is, was, and always will be one of the high points of my life. If all i had was a boxed lunch and a can of coke i would still feel like the richest man on board.

beautiful!!!

I have been wondering these boards for about four years now. I do not post to often because I get more enjoyment from taking in the information that others share. I have learned from some of the negitive comments, but to be honest I have never had a bad cruise (bad moments, to be sure) but nothing that I have felt the need to share. We took our first cruise on the Mardi Gras in 1982. We took our one year old daughter with us and had a inside cabin on the Riviera deck. The only crib on board was a full sized wooden monster that took up most of the room. There was no high chairs in the dining room, just one small plastic booster seat that I had to secure my daughter in the chair with one of my belts wraped around the chair and her. Camp Carnival did not exist yet. If you wanted a babysitter you asked one of the girls in the gift shop if she would come to your cabin after she got off and you settled with her on a price. (we only did that once since we were on a strict budget)

But with all those drawbacks we had the time of our lives thanks to the wonderful people on the Mardi Gras who shared their lives with us that week, from our cabin steward who layed out my daugthers nightgown each evening and arranged her stuffed animals in her crib. Even Captain Mario would come down from the bridge to visit the baby when he saw us on the forward observation deck.

To be sure, over the years we have had some bad food and indifferant service on the lines we have sailed. I have seen the demise of most of the "oceanliner traditions" due to costs or just plain lack of interest. (tea time on Carnival ships will go away if we do not support it)

Walking the decks with my wife in my tux on formal nights still gives me a rush that lasts all evening. I long for a time that is rapidly fading.

But I must confess that watching the sun come up from the top deck when the ship is at sea is, was, and always will be one of the high points of my life. If all I had was a boxed lunch and a can of coke I would still feel like the richest man on board.

I have waded through hundreds of venomous and sarcastic posts, personal attacks and deliberate sensationalism and contrarianism in researching for my upcoming cruise. So much so that I had begun to question why I come to CC. Then I find this post.

Webfoot3, Thank You!

That was very well stated and I agree. Cruising is a wonderful experience and just like life, it is what you make of it. No matter what they do with dress codes, smoking policies, menus, etc. A bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at work! Bon voyage! :D

And to the Original Poster....thank you for reminding me why I love cruising so much.

Great post. I have noticed just in the last few years that there is a lot of cost cutting in terms of food and service. They have also relaxed the dress code I believe in order to encourage those that wouldn't normally cruise to do so and not feel out of place (I am kind of one of those people, though I do dress up on formal nights). I feel like since they can't raise the prices of taking the cruise too much, they have to get their money in other ways, or cut to save it.

You touched on a good point. Someone who appreciates the silence of a sunrise or the colors of a sunset will certainly be a lifetime cruiser. Its not for everybody but it is certainly for me.

Yes, I'm on vacation, but I still get up to watch the sunrise every morning while my family is still fast asleep for a few hours more.

I have waded through hundreds of venomous and sarcastic posts, personal attacks and deliberate sensationalism and contrarianism in researching for my upcoming cruise. So much so that I had begun to question why I come to CC. Then I find this post.

Webfoot3, Thank You!

...Just as the OP's statements were enjoyable to read, this response was equally, if not better to read. I too get so fed up with the moronic and sarcastic responses that I just don't bother posting on a regular basis. Posters with thousands and thousands of responses that, as you say, are deliberately sensational and contrarian in nature. Why would anybody want to spend their time in front of a computer, just to try to rile feathers??

...Anyway, thanks for your response... well said.

When you come to this kind of site on the Internet you must be willing to accept the wide range of personalities that post here. I have no desire to "pick a fight" with someone I do not know and have never seen. To be sure, I have often marveled at how many ways the same situation can be viewed. But by in large there is more then enough information to feed my "ship fix" on a daily basis.

Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Well done.

Beautiful Post, so thank you.

I am still a newbie at cruising, I don't know everything. But to see the sun rise above the water, or set with a green flash are the two most beautiful moments in a day, and I seem to only be able to get that when I cruise. Thanks for unwinding the too wound up.:)

Great post webfoot3......my favorite moment is watching the sunburst (sunrise) on the top deck in the solitude of the early morning! Cup of coffee in hand...love it!

This is on my to do list for our upcoming cruise. I have yet to be up that early but it sounds so peaceful and a great way to start the day.

OP love your post and even more your attitude :)

Archived