What is so special about a piano bar?

okwriter

I read lots of raves here about the piano bars. Okay, I *get* that there is (supposed to be) a piano player. But the only piano bar I've been in on three cruises was on the Sensation, and there was never a soul in there...not even a piano player.

So what do you do in there besides listen to someone play the piano? What makes it special? I'm not being flippant. I'm asking because I really want to know! :)

I read lots of raves here about the piano bars. Okay, I *get* that there is (supposed to be) a piano player. But the only piano bar I've been in on three cruises was on the Sensation, and there was never a soul in there...not even a piano player.

So what do you do in there besides listen to someone play the piano? What makes it special? I'm not being flippant. I'm asking because I really want to know! :)

Love the Piano Bar. Ron Pass is wonderful. They play great music and really silly music. I am happy that the piano bars are now smoke free. That is what has kept us out of them.

For the most part, the piano bar can be really great or just so-so, depending upon the crowd and to a lesser degree, the pianist. If the piano player is a total extrovert and the crowd is into singing along, then the place can be a total blast. If the crowd just wants to be entertained, uses the piano player as background noice and would rather engage in conversation with the other people in their group, then the experience is not going to be good.

Personally, I have encountered both types of crowds during past CCL cruises that I have been on. I usually go in and check things out right after my second sitting dinner on the first night and hopefully it will be a good crowd. Now that the bar is officially smoke free, that is just a bonus.

Also, some of the players have a R rated set that they do at the end of the night, and it's usually a riot. But once again, the other cruise passengers will usually make or break the experience.

Agree the piano bar is always one of the highlights of every cruise for us. I think the appeal for us is the crowd interaction. Always taking requests, and about every 3rd or 4th song ends up a singalong. And after a few adult beverages EVERYONE seems to join in, even the most reserved of the group.

They are a lot of fun. The person playing gets the crowd into it. By playing songs they want to hear then people join in singing. Throw in a little comedy makes for a great night. I like the dueling piano players the best. The Bar at Times Square @ NYNY in Vegas is the best I have ever been to! Its always packed and a complete blast!!! Next time you go on a cruise make sure you check it out or if you get to Vegas. Then there is Crocodile Rock in Myrtle Beach. Also JellyRolls at Disney is pretty good too.

If the piano player is a good one, then he'll have the whole place interacting, not just the ppl sitting around the bar. The last player on the Imagination was so good, that he had learned a bunch of our names, by singing them into songs:D Great fun:)

I love piano bars but not everyone does. I really like to sing (in my car, in the shower etc) but my voice isn't good enough to do karaoke so the piano bar wins. In theory if everyone is singing along, then all the voices blend together so not so talented voices won't stick out so much. I like to bring a list of fun songs (and tip money) to request. It's all in the crowd. If people get into singing along and don't care if the sound good or not, it can be a real fun night.

I understand your question and I know you're not being flippant, because for several years my sister tried to get us into the piano bar on cruises and we always vetoed the idea (She had experienced one at an all-inclusive a few years before we got her on a cruise, and loved it).

Well in 2007, she finally dragged us into the piano bar on the Victory, and we've been hooked ever since.

The draw is that IF the piano player is good, he or she...

--Makes it fun by encouraging audience participation

--knows a huge variety of popular/sing-along-able songs

--spends a lot of time playing/singing those songs (not hob-nobbing too much with the guests or taking breaks (but, of course, they do need breaks from time to time--good ones break every 45 min or every hour. Bad ones were almost always on break, or would sing a couple of songs, then hob-nob).

--Good ones had a song book from which to choose songs they knew, and...

--Good ones made every effort to play everyone's song requests.....and in the process, kept the crowd coming back and the player made lots of tips:)

Bad piano bar players...

--were barely singing any songs...and were just hob-nobbing with certain guests

--were just listening to one guest's IPOD/MP3 for AN ENTIRE HOUR trying to learn a new song that guest wanted

--had no song list from which to request songs

--played only one genre of songs

In short, if piano bar is your thing, the quality of the player can make a difference.:eek:

I never would have even tried a piano bar were it not for my dear sister, but if you get a good PB player, you'll be hooked!:)

The piano bars are fun so long as the crowd is into it and the player is good. I wish CCL could get dueling pianos going. Twice the fun.

Here's one of my favorites:

Dough, is what I buy beer with

Ray, the guy who sells me beer

Me, the guy that drinks my beer

Far, a long way to get beer

So, I'll have another beer

La, la la la la lager BEER!

Tea? No thanks I'll have a BEER!!!

Which brings me back to dough,,,,

Repeat until every drunk in the room sings along.

:D:D:D:D

Piano bars are a blast if you have a good crowd and a good pianist, We met Wally B on the Victory in Feb and he is going to be on Conquest when we are going next week. He is acutally the main reason we are going on this cruise as we got to know him over the week on the last one.

If you have a good crowd in the bar you get to talk to each other and acutally make some really good friends.

I used to feel the same way as you until I sailed with Ron Pass!!! Wow!!! Now, I book my cruises based on who will be playing in the Piano Bar. If you want a good Piano Bar experience, come and join us on the Magic March 4th. Ron Pass will be in the Piano Bar for the Blogger's Cruise. Last year, we had PJ party one night, a Boa Feather show, Glow Stick night, Elvis night, etc .... We had a blast.

Joanne

They used to be a great adult venue however since the removal of smoking in them the piano bar has become a hang out for familys and kids.

This was brought up on facebook to the point of having a poll about kids there

3 different groups of friends have cruised lately on three different ships and reported that this has been a problem

Oh well I guess I will find somewhere else for entertainment now

They used to be a great adult venue however since the removal of smoking in them the piano bar has become a hang out for familys and kids.

This was brought up on facebook to the point of having a poll about kids there

3 different groups of friends have cruised lately on three different ships and reported that this has been a problem

Oh well I guess I will find somewhere else for entertainment now

Bummer:rolleyes:

What was the final outcome of that FB? Did they come up with a set rule for kids etc? I remember seeing something about asking people re times etc? Was there a final decision made on that?

We smoke so prob will only use it if its really really worth it, and def not during "kids times"?

On another note, does the piano bar keep song books by the tables? We always love the piano bar at Sandals resorts, but every table has a song book so one can sing along? Do they do this on the ships?

What my wife and i like about the piano bar is its like karoke but everybody is singing so you don't have to have a good voice. We love the piano bar but not every ship has a good piano player, meaning they don't know how to draw a good crowd. You pick a song, they play it, and we all singalong with it. Great place to have fun and make new friends!

I used to feel the same way as you until I sailed with Ron Pass!!! Wow!!! Now, I book my cruises based on who will be playing in the Piano Bar. If you want a good Piano Bar experience, come and join us on the Magic March 4th. Ron Pass will be in the Piano Bar for the Blogger's Cruise. Last year, we had PJ party one night, a Boa Feather show, Glow Stick night, Elvis night, etc .... We had a blast.

Joanne

Your not kidding...Ron Pass is the best and really gets the crowd into it. Spend a night in the piano bar with Ron and you will definitely have a good time!

a piano bar only works when you have a personality magnet in there.

they are the ones that not only play, but integrate the personalities of the "customers".

they tend to get more popular as the night progresses as more drinks are consumed, and everyones inhibitions become very low.

someone who just plays piano doesn't keep them very long, and can get painful when the guy that thinks he's frankie or elton try to take over.

since they became no smoking, they now have families and kids in there,

Bummer:rolleyes:

What was the final outcome of that FB? Did they come up with a set rule for kids etc? I remember seeing something about asking people re times etc? Was there a final decision made on that?

We smoke so prob will only use it if its really really worth it, and def not during "kids times"?

On another note, does the piano bar keep song books by the tables? We always love the piano bar at Sandals resorts, but every table has a song book so one can sing along? Do they do this on the ships?

I don't know about the FB pool so I can't answer that. But as far as the song books goes, it's up to the piano player to make up the song books. Some of the piano players make up song books and some don't.

I love piano bars but not everyone does. I really like to sing (in my car, in the shower etc) but my voice isn't good enough to do karaoke so the piano bar wins. In theory if everyone is singing along, then all the voices blend together so not so talented voices won't stick out so much. I like to bring a list of fun songs (and tip money) to request. It's all in the crowd. If people get into singing along and don't care if the sound good or not, it can be a real fun night.

We usually love spending tome in the piano bar.

We've only ever had 1 cruise where the piano player was just that ... a piano player and not an entertainer. We felt like she had a list of things to accomplish for the night and was merely going through the motions of checking things off her list. She "forced" people into sitting where she wanted them to sit and would actually reaarange people as new people came into the bar. We left affter about 1 hour and never went back during the rest of that cruise.

We both enjoy music and love so many of the older songs that the entertainers witll play. Hubby isn't much to sing along, but I love the singalong part.

Our last cruise was on the Ecstasy and I call it our "Friends in Low Places" cruise. No matter where we went somebody was always asking for that song.

I know I've seen threads asking what music is on your ipod for your cruise, maybe we should start a thread asking what's your favorits songs in the piano bar.

Our experience with the piano bar on this ship was very good. Milburn is a good piano player but he depends a little bit too much on a "crutch"...some kind of Arnold voice or something that can become annoying. The real difference maker every night was the crowd. The later we went, the better it was...perhaps because people were less inhibited about singing along due to having a little more "liquid courage"???

There was a note about kids taking over the piano bar...this was not our experience at all. I can't remember a kid being in there when we were there. There were plenty of them on the cruise...a thousand or more...but it was drunken adults who caused me much more heartache than kids.

Anyway, we had some great evenings in the piano bar when there were "personalities" in the room...since Milburn isn't really a "take over the room" guy, having a loud Type A guy with a few drinks in him (we'll call him "Billy") picked up the fun a notch. The shots he was buying everyone made it even better. A bit obnoxious? Yeah, but so is my best friend...

The best thing that happened was when the ship's male lead vocalist, Sean, came in late, late one evening. He sang an knock-your-socks-off rendition of "Walking in Memphis" that was ridiculously great. He did a Journey number and had everyone singing along...that was fun!

We had fun every time we went in the piano bar. Some nights were more fun than others, but we will always at least try it out!!

As noted above, the BIG draw in the piano bar is the interaction of the crowd, and the piano guy/gal. If you've got a good performer at the piano bar, nothing can be finer! GREAT fun, and it's very easy to spend the entire evening there. I've never had the occasion to witness a bunch of kids at the piano bar, but I can imagine how that might/could spoil the fun for everyone else. :eek: I have, quite often, seen a bunch of kids take over karaoke, and that WRECKS that activity. I guess that's why they limit the "child participation" to the early hours of the evening at karaoke.:cool:

"SKY"

Having only cruised once so far I don't have much experience with the Piano Bar.. but.... one night after a show in the lounge we were sitting along the walkway right outside the piano bar waiting for our entire party to regroup. We were sitting there maybe a half hour or so and could hear the music and talking etc. The piano player (name escapes me) was pretty much sparring with the patrons.. he was really insulting. We noticed small groups of people leaving, mumbling under their breath about how rude and what an @$$hole he was. At one point I heard him say.. "well that will probably get me fired".

We avoided the piano bar based on that incident. We weren't sure if the normal vibe in there was mean "comedian" who plays piano, was the norm. It was like (old day) Don Rickles, but singing while he shredded you. :eek:

We thought that was the schtick of the piano bar.. and couldn't understand WHY anyone would enjoy that.

Archived