Back from the brink... of unemployment that is and now able to dream of crusing again

Commieri

So I booked DH and me in C 332. This will be our first trip in two years, following a long period of uncertainty due to his unemployment. Fingers crossed, we will actually make it in 2012. Have cruised many times, most recently on Celebrity and the Crown. I haven't been paying attention because of the job situation but now that we might go.. can someone fill me in on :

UST- is there a charge for ultimate tour of the ship? Do you book once on board right after embarkation?

Chef's Table- is there a charge for this and has anyone tried it? Anyplace I can see a description?

Finally, how do people feel about Ultimate Balcony Dinner... is it worth it for a special occassion ( my belated Birthday and our belated Anniversary).

I appreciate that this may be repetitive to those in the know .. sorry

So I booked DH and me in C 332. This will be our first trip in two years, following a long period of uncertainty due to his unemployment. Fingers crossed, we will actually make it in 2012. Have cruised many times, most recently on Celebrity and the Crown. I haven't been paying attention because of the job situation but now that we might go.. can someone fill me in on :

UST- is there a charge for ultimate tour of the ship? Do you book once on board right after embarkation?

Chef's Table- is there a charge for this and has anyone tried it? Anyplace I can see a description?

Finally, how do people feel about Ultimate Balcony Dinner... is it worth it for a special occassion ( my belated Birthday and our belated Anniversary).

UST is $150 pp. Book onboard

Chef's Table was $75pp raised to $95pp on at least one ship.

UBD $50 pp

UST is $150 pp. Book onboard

Chef's Table was $75pp raised to $95pp on at least one ship.

UBD $50 pp

Camille: I feel your pain. My husband got laid off in August of 2009. We have been hanging on with my part time teaching and his part time teaching while he starts a new business. So far, the business is in the red. Can't wait until it starts to pay off. We cut out as much as possible from our budget so that we could still have our winter getaway the last two years. Sometimes it was embarrassing saying I didn't have a cell phone when people asked for my cell number. Or explaining why I couldn't make an appointment because we only have one car and have to coordinate its use. Things like that. But there are so many of us in the same boat, that I know most people are very understanding. Welcome back to the cruising world. Have a great time on whatever cruise you decide to book.

To Susan in Minneapolis... hang in there and try not to be embarrased because you have to cut back. that's the smart thing to do. I felt more fear than embarrassment and when those clowns in Washington were threatening not to extend unemployment benefits it really made my blood boil. My hubby was desperate to work and looked for a job 10 hours a day every day. Now he has one- it is a terrible job hours and pay-wise but at least he's working.

Now, before I get accused of being off topic- thank you to all for the info. The tours sound nice but I think a bit pricy... hard to understand why Princess has to charge $150 PER PERSON for a tour of the ship??

In my younger days on Sitmar and PRincess, we just made friends with the cute officers and they showed us around... once we were on the bridge with Capitain as they sailed out of FLL... Those were the good old days- we were young AND the cruise lines didn't charge for every little thing!

The Chef's Table cost is now $95 per person ($80 apiece without the wines served with each course). So it's pricey, but IMO, still worth the expense, as the ones I have done were outstanding meals/dining experiences.

Hi Camille....

I have done both the UST (once- fantastic experience) AND the UBD (three amazing times). Due to my allergies, we have never done the chef's table.

If you do none of the three things you asked about...you can still have a fantastic cruise and save the $$$.

On the Caribbean Princess, they have a cooking demonstration with a galley tour.

They also had a behind the scenes with the entertainment department...taking you backstage...

NEITHER tour was as extensive as it is when you do the UST...but it is still a way to get in little free tours....

Bernadette

Now, before I get accused of being off topic- thank you to all for the info. The tours sound nice but I think a bit pricy... hard to understand why Princess has to charge $150 PER PERSON for a tour of the ship??

This is a three to four hour tour with each stop having the department head give a presentation and answer questions. This does take up a lot of time of these senior personnel.

You do get to visit areas that even in the past were not available to the general public for free. This includes the engine control room, the laundry, the print shop, and the medical center plus others.

Archived