What to do in Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise?

shofer

We two ladies in our 60's are staying one day pre cruise at the Embassy Suites on 17th. We will not have a car. What to do within walking distance. Restaurants, shopping, grocery or liquor store nearby?

Any info is welcome, of course. I have always found CC members to be very forthcoming w/wonderful information and advice.

If you will be there for the day, head to the water taxi and with a map of stops, just tour the waterways taking in the sights and perhaps stopping at a restaurant for a meal or cool drink. It's a nice way to see the area.

Go to watertaxi.com for info.

If you will be there for the day, head to the water taxi and with a map of stops, just tour the waterways taking in the sights and perhaps stopping at a restaurant for a meal or cool drink. It's a nice way to see the area.

Go to watertaxi.com for info.

This is what I, one lady in her 50's (also from Illinois :D) am hoping to do (provided that the weather is nice). Do they automatically give you a map of stops when you board?

There's a big Publix supermarket very close to the Embassy Suites, and I THINK one or two wine and/or liquor stores as well (those more knowledgeable can provide details).

This is what I, one lady in her 50's (also from Illinois :D) am hoping to do (provided that the weather is nice). Do they automatically give you a map of stops when you board?

).

I think maybe there are stands near the stops with maps. Or perhaps I saw them in the hotels. However, we didn't need one because we took everything off the web site. There you'll see what restaurants, hotels etc are nearby each stop. Check this site....

http://watertaxi.com/

The "drivers" of the water taxis are very knowledgeable and will guide you to differernt stops, connections etc. Ask for the route that will take you past all the beautiful homes. The first time we were there, we had a great "guide" that rode along pointing out interesting things. Don't really need to buy a regular tour excursion. Have fun.

I did the water taxi w/DH in 2007 prior to our Panama Canal cruise. There were not any maps at the stop we started at but I didn't know there was a website. Will check it out for sure. Thanks a bunch.

Will we be able to see the ships in the port?

I 2nd the vote for a Water Taxi tour. If you are there on a weekend, you can pick up the reasonable trolley from Publix behind the Embassy Suites. Just tell the driver you want to get off so you can get the water taxi at the Grand. The walk isn't bad either. Just turn right and proceed towards the bridge. At that intersection cross the street towards the Renaissance and again to the street that parallel's the Hilton Grand hotel (?). Los Olas is a great stop to get off and stroll the neighborhood. I recommend the 15th St. Fisheries for dinner (water taxi stop) and you can walk back to the hotel or take a taxi. We have tried Bimini Boatyard which is very pretty, but I found it too crowded and service was really lacking.

For lunch there is a 5 Guys Burgers in the Shoppes Plaza behind the hotel. There is an Irish pub across the street and there used to be a great Mexican place in the small plaza next to the hotel if it's open.

I did the water taxi w/DH in 2007 prior to our Panama Canal cruise. There were not any maps at the stop we started at but I didn't know there was a website. Will check it out for sure. Thanks a bunch.

Will we be able to see the ships in the port?

In order to get to the water taxi, you need to walk or ride to under the west side of the 17th St bridge. You should be able to see some ships from there if any are in.

Across the street from your hotel there is a Ross store and a Dollar Tree. There isn't much other shopping in the area other than grocery, drug, and liquor stores.

• 1 month later...
How do you get to the water taxi from Hyatt Place North? Also what is the best way to get to Hollywood?

Turn right on SE 17th St and go about 8 blocks to under the bridge for the closest stop by the Hilton Marina. You can take the water taxi to Hollywood beach area! The water taxi has a website that has all the maps and schedule information.

If I decided to use the water taxi with my family do I have to get the family pass or do they sell individual tickets? I would probably only be interested in getting on at stop5 and getting off at stop 9, and don't really want to pay $55 for that. They don't seem to have any info other than the all day passes.

Thanks!

If I decided to use the water taxi with my family do I have to get the family pass or do they sell individual tickets? I would probably only be interested in getting on at stop5 and getting off at stop 9, and don't really want to pay $55 for that. They don't seem to have any info other than the all day passes.

Thanks!

They sell individual tickets but the family pack is the best value for 5 people. If you go after 5 PM it's only $50 for 5 people. A street taxi from stop 5 to 9 would cost about $10 each way per cab.

Turn right on SE 17th St and go about 8 blocks to under the bridge for the closest stop by the Hilton Marina. You can take the water taxi to Hollywood beach area! The water taxi has a website that has all the maps and schedule information.

Thank you so much.

Thanks for the info! Do you think it's worth the money doing the water taxi if it's only for that stretch or should we just cab it?

Thanks

Actually, the answer is up to you as to how much you want to see about how the ``rich & famous'' actually own down in Ft. Lauderdale.

The water taxi is a great way to pass by the back doors of some of the celebs -- TV, movie and Fortune 500 stars who have homes along the waterway.

If you happen to catch a great water taxi driver who likes to point out the highlights of the trip you will learn more in a few stops than you can believe.

If you buy a ticket that will allow you to stay on the ride for a round trip, then you will have a true excursion showcasing the world's rich and famous up close.

Have riden the water taxi route in late Nov. and early Dec. and have been amazed at the light show and holiday decorations along the route. Hae taken the route at other times of the year in day and night times and still been amazed at what I was seeing and hearing about some of the homes along the route.

One year we bought an all day ticket on the water taxi and just rode the taxi to and from the different stops all day. One of the best ``excursions'' we've ever taken during a cruise week and we took it right here in the good old USA.

Dianne

Archived