First time Oceania cruisers would like to know....

Pipkins

Our first time with Oceania, we have booked Marina Istanbul to Athens 19th September, in penthouse grade. Our flight luggage allowance is low, so tips and advice about suite facilities would be appreciated: Will there really be the listed hairdryer; will the bathroom supplies be replenished daily; are there bathrobes AND slippers provided; will my husband really be o.k. with just one jacket?

We have previously sailed on Seabourn, Cunard (QG) and Crystal, and hope to find similar amenities.....are we on the right track please?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

The penthouse on the Marina is a wonderful accommodation. You will be very happy. The closet is huge and more user friendly than even the luxury lines. And the bathroom is a perfect size with lots of storage space. You will get Bulgari toiletries. If they are not replaced daily they will be replaced as needed or you can ask your stewardess. Yes, there are both robes and slippers plus a hair dryer. And your husband will not need even one jacket if he does not want to wear one. That's one of the beauties of Oceania.

I have sailed Seabourn many many times and QG on cunard as well. The PH on Marina is better than the Seabourn suite imo though not quite as large as QG on QM2. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Our first time with Oceania, we have booked Marina Istanbul to Athens 19th September, in penthouse grade. Our flight luggage allowance is low, so tips and advice about suite facilities would be appreciated: Will there really be the listed hairdryer; will the bathroom supplies be replenished daily; are there bathrobes AND slippers provided; will my husband really be o.k. with just one jacket?

We have previously sailed on Seabourn, Cunard (QG) and Crystal, and hope to find similar amenities.....are we on the right track please?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Q) Will there really be the listed hairdryer?

A) Yes

Q)will the bathroom supplies be replenished daily?

A) Yes

Q) are there bathrobes AND slippers provided?

A) Yes

Q) will my husband really be o.k. with just one jacket?

A) Yes, but he doesn't even really need the one.

Hello Pipkins. My wife and I were on Marina in June for a Baltic cruise and we have sailed on Oceania's other ships. The answer to all of your questions are yes. There is a hairdryer, my wife says it is not as powerful as her own, but certainly adequate. Yes to refils, bathroom supplies and robes. I took one jacket and that was all I needed. To be honest he can get away without a jacket if packing is really tight. 'Country club casual' is a good description of the dress code. I used my jacket 3 or 4 times. To me it seemed appropriate for the Captain's cocktail party and for dinner in the speciality restaurants.....but certainly not necessary. More than 50% of the men do not wear jackets on any occasion and are comfortable with a long sleeve shirt in the restaurants.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. Our next one with Oceania is in November.....Venice to Rome. Can't wait.

We are considering booking our first Oceania Cruise on the Marina for next May2012, Athens to Barcelona. Would greatly appreciate some feed back about the midship cabins and balconies of Deck A3 vs B1. Are the A3 Concierge cabins worth the ammenities for the price increase over the B1 Cabins? Oceania is advertising air inclusive and 1 pre-night Hotel if booked by 8/31 on some of their sailings. I have read on CC Boards that the general consensus is to pay the extra for the Air Deviation program so as to have some imput into our air flights. Is this a good idea? Have always booked our own airfare in the past but doubt that I could get a rate better then the credit they would offer if I declined the included air.

Also, are most Oceania passengers recommended to take the ship's port excursions or is there usually a complimentary ship shuttle service into the town areas from port ?? Alot of question I know....but we are Oceania newbies:confused:

I have read on CC Boards that the general consensus is to pay the extra for the Air Deviation program so as to have some imput into our air flights. Is this a good idea? Have always booked our own airfare in the past but doubt that I could get a rate better then the credit they would offer if I declined the included air.

Also, are most Oceania passengers recommended to take the ship's port excursions or is there usually a complimentary ship shuttle service into the town areas from port ?? Alot of question I know....but we are Oceania newbies:confused:

check what you can get & then see what flight O offers then compare You can choose the flights you want there may or may not be an upcharge

There are several threads on how do do the deviation just go up to the search feature

Join the roll call for your cruise you may want to join others for private tours

We usually do a mixture private tours, DIY & ship's tour depending on the port

Enjoy

Lyn

To Pipkins,

[...]You will get Bulgari toiletries. If they are not replaced daily they will be replaced as needed or you can ask your stewardess. [...].

And they're lovely - you get soap (one for each sink, bath, shower etc), shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion

Unlike hotel supplies, these are generous sizes. The soaps are a reasonable size and the others come in 75ml plastic bottles.

Also, sewing kit is great - different coloured thread and all threaded on needles ready to use.

To BP Cruiser,

Often if it is too far to walk into town, there is a complimentary shuttle service, especially if taxis are not readily available.

If luggage space is slim remember Marina has a laundry facility on each passenger deck with three washers/dryers in each. There is a sofa and a tv in the laundry room, as well as an ironing board/iron, so doing laundry isn't the chore it is on some ships.

If you do not want to do your own laundry, O also has available laundry service onboard with next-day delivery on most items.

And you'll find O folks are not snobs. So what, if you're seen in the same outfit 3 or 4 times during the same cruise? Nobody cares. We're all there for the pampering, the ports and the people, not for the fashion show.

The first cruise I took many years ago, the cruise director said a very wise thing. "Next cruise, take half as many clothes and twice as much money, and you'll have a better time." I've followed that theory ever since, and each cruise is better than the last. My goal is to be able to take a 2-week cruise with a rolling carry-on, and although I haven't gotten there yet, I'm getting closer.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

This helpful advice is much appreciated, thank you all. Seeing as I usually cruise with at least 16 pairs of shoes - MDH is 100% behind the idea of pairing things down to hand luggage. I think this trip may 'make or break me' into learning to travel light!! He is a saint.

Yes, you can. That is what we have always done.:)

Oh no, Judy!

I thought that we were all going to be together at the Grand Bretagne!

Wherever you are staying, I hope that you will agree to join us for dinner (or at least a drink) in their roof garden.......

Greece,%20Athens,%20Hotel%20Grande%20Bretagne,%20Restaurant%20Roof%20Garden%20-%20Photo%20by%20Hotel%20Grande%20Bretagne.jpg

The Acropolis is literally in your lap....

It is truly one of those "once in a lifetime views", where you keep saying "I can't believe that we are actually here".

To top it all off, and no one was more surprised about this than me, the prices are surprisingly good, and they mix a nice cocktail.

Come on, April 23, save the date!.........please???

Oh no, Judy!

I thought that we were all going to be together at the Grand Bretagne!

Wherever you are staying, I hope that you will agree to join us for dinner (or at least a drink) in their roof garden.......

Greece,%20Athens,%20Hotel%20Grande%20Bretagne,%20Restaurant%20Roof%20Garden%20-%20Photo%20by%20Hotel%20Grande%20Bretagne.jpg

The Acropolis is literally in your lap....

It is truly one of those "once in a lifetime views", where you keep saying "I can't believe that we are actually here".

To top it all off, and no one was more surprised about this than me, the prices are surprisingly good, and they mix a nice cocktail.

Come on, April 23, save the date!.........please???

We would love to join you for cocktails and dinner on April 23 in their beautiful roof garden. Thank you for the invitation! :)

We stayed at Athens Gate, just down the street from the Grand B, and also had a room with this same view. (Ask for a room at the back) with breakfast on their roof top. Loved the location for DIY walking tour and room and staff were wonderful. Grand B is gorgeous.

We stayed at Athens Gate, just down the street from the Grand B, and also had a room with this same view. (Ask for a room at the back) with breakfast on their roof top. Loved the location for DIY walking tour and room and staff were wonderful. Grand B is gorgeous.

Athens Gate is where we have reservations, but we are still considering the Electra Palace. Did you like Athens Gate?

We loved the Athens Gate. I asked for the 6th floor when making reservations and made sure to ask for the "back of the hotel" which gives you the incredible view. Perfect location and the taxi driver knew exactly how to get there which is always a plus. Breakfast was excellent, view from the roof top restaurant was amazing in every direction. Go you go out the front door, turn left, turn left again and you are on the pedestrian blvd to the Acropolis. On your way to the Acropolis, turn right and you are at shopping, cafes, etc!

yorkiemomjn, my husband said to tell you that the Athens Gate is also just a block from at the Acropolis Metro, a great way to identify it on a map. (btw, our yorkie was 18 when she died and we loved her dearly....4 lbs on a fat day!) https://picasaweb.google.com/116019899103088137069/InsigniaEasternMediterranean2011#5618120349597596994 (view from our room!)

yorkiemomjn, my husband said to tell you that the Athens Gate is also just a block from at the Acropolis Metro, a great way to identify it on a map. (btw, our yorkie was 18 when she died and we loved her dearly....4 lbs on a fat day!) https://picasaweb.google.com/116019899103088137069/InsigniaEasternMediterranean2011#5618120349597596994 (view from our room!)

Thank you! I think we booked an Acropolis view room, but I will check and make sure. We have have yorkies for 20+ years. Our last little girl (also 4 lbs.) died 4 years ago just a few months short of 18 yrs. We have two little girls now that we got a year after Haley died. Our two right now are also small (4 & 4.5 lbs), Dazzle & Daisy. Aren't yorkies great!

I have read all the good info about the Athens Gate Hotel. We have friends who stayed there also and loved it. However our Oceania paperwork has us for our "included" pre-nite at the Athens Ledra Marriott Hotel for the night before our Marina cruise. We are considering going into Athens a few days earlier for more sightseeing. Prefer not to change Hotels twice in Athens while only there for 3 nites. Anyone have any comments good or bad about previous stays at the Ledra Marriott Hotel?

Archived