Dog on Board Freedom of the Seas Aug 14-21

One common misunderstanding is the difference between Service Animals, Therapy Animals, Companion/Emotional Support Animals, "Social/therapy" Animals and pets.

• A Service Animal ...
    1. is individually trained to work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability
    2. is not always a dog; other animals may assist people with disabilities
    3. may be any breed and size
    4. is trained either by an organization or by an individual with a disability
    5. is not necessarily certified or licensed
    6. does not always wear a harness, sign, or symbol indicating that they are service animals
    7. is not a pet
    8. is protected by Federal and most state laws (see below)
    9. is trained to assist people with disabilities in many different ways, such as:
      • Guiding people who are blind or have low vision and retrieving dropped objects for them;
      • Alerting people who are deaf or hard of hearing to sounds and the presence of others;
      • Carrying and picking up items, opening doors, or flipping switches for people with disabilities who have limited use of hands or arms, limited use of their legs, or limited ability to bend or stoop;
      • Pulling wheelchairs;
      • Alerting people with disabilities to the onset of seizures, protecting them and cushioning them if they fall, reviving them, and performing other tasks that reduce the risk of seizure-related injury; and
      • Providing physical support and assisting people with physical disabilities with stability and balance.

• A Guide Dog/Animal ...
    1. is specifically trained to serve as a guide for a person with a sight impairment
    2. is usually trained and certified by a licensed school for guide dogs
    3. is specifically protected under state and federal laws

• A Therapy Animal ...
    1. is not legally defined by federal law
    2. some states have laws defining therapy animals
    3. provides people with contact to animals, but not limited to working with people who have disabilities
    4. is usually the personal pet of their handlers (who may be therapists, physicians, rehabilitation professionals) and works with their handler to provide services to others, such as in nursing homes and hospitals
    5. has no Federal laws with provisions for people to be accompanied by therapy animals in places of public accommodation that have "no pets" policies
    6. usually are not service animals

• A Companion or Emotional Support Animal
    1. assist people with mental or emotional disabilities who use the assistance of this type of animal to function independently
    2. has the most tenuous legal status, and as a concept it is hard, if not impossible, to differentiate them from the role of pet
    3. a Companion Animal is not legally defined, but is accepted as another term for "pet"
    4. the right to "emotional support animals" is protected under the Fair Housing Act

• A Pet
    1. is NOT a specifically trained to provide a service to a person with a disability
    2. is NOT protected under the laws allowing equal access to people with disabilities

Here's a video of a Coton de Tulear which cruises frequently and performs with its owner. Cruise footage begins at 1:47.

Hmmm – a cute dog but I see on the footage that dog gets her own pool chair. Wonder if folks get annoyed looking for a pool chair and seeing one taken up by the dog.

M

Ok, I absolutely love my dog (Norman :)) and we always say how we would love if we could bring him on vacation with us because he's like our son (no kids for us) but he would be miserable!!! He is not a fan of water and he needs space to run around....our pocket books won't allow for a large suite!!

However, I do have a question for the experts on Service Dogs. I'm a complete sucker for dogs of all kinds and often will pet dogs I see wherever we're at (of course, asking the owner first) I even stopped during an 8K race to pet a beautiful Newfoundland that was with the observers-my husband still teases me about that :rolleyes:. But am I correct that you should never pet a service dog? I understand it may be different for "therapy" dogs, but I never truly knew the rules about service dogs. Is there ever a time that they can just be dogs? Or do they literally work 24 hours a day? I know this isn't cruise specific, but I'd be interested to know the specifics.

Though I sympathize with animal allergies (we have them in our family) I can't see how having one dog on a ship would be any more of a casual contact than if you were walking down the street in a city or visiting a park, very possibly even less. I don't think anyone would expect you to sit with the dog or eat with it, so it would probably come to a random intercept several feet apart for a few seconds. Companion dogs play an important role in some people's lives, expect to run into them from time to time during normal life activities.

How very well said.

But am I correct that you should never pet a service dog? I understand it may be different for "therapy" dogs, but I never truly knew the rules about service dogs. Is there ever a time that they can just be dogs? Or do they literally work 24 hours a day? I know this isn't cruise specific, but I'd be interested to know the specifics.

Just from my own personal experience... I have been around 2 service dogs. While they are not encouraged to be given excessive attention (ie no petting in public places) it definitely does happen. Petting them can be distracting and should never be done while the owner is in full need of their attention. The owners typically do love their animals and have a relationship in addition to the work one. I used to pet them whenever they were around but not in the exact same manner as you would your friend next doors dog. They usually do get time to "just be dogs" when at home and the owner isn't in heavy need of them. You just have to be careful to maintain the balance so that the dog doesn't seek atttention and get distracted from it's owners needs.

We talked to the owner extensively -- the dog is there for allergen reasons. The owner had once almost died of an unknown allergy attack from sesame oil on an RCL cruise ship. After he went to an allergist, the allergist gave him an extensive list of all foods he was deathly allergic to. The dog sniffs out any food before he eats anything in case there are trace ingredients that he cannot eat.

So yes, he is a service dog.

Under ADA any animal can be a service animal (well not a true "pet" according to the guidelines, but really any animal). You could bring a snake with you and call it a service animal and under the ADA guidelines they are can NOT require you to have documentation that it is a service animal.

A person we cruised with is mostly deaf and has a service dog. En route to a cruise, she was denied a hotel room because they didn't take pets. She pointed out that it was a service dog, showed papers, ADA guidelines,etc. Still got nowhere. Demanded to speak to a supervisor, none available and they wouldn't disturb the boss man at home.

So, she proceeded to contact the hotel chain following her cruise and said besides needing to educate their employees on service dogs and the ADA guidelines, she would perhaps be seeing a lawyer about compensation for her hotel room elsewhere and inconvenience.

The hotel chain immediately offered her an apology and money. She asked that the money be donated to a service animal charity which they did.

Tucker in Texas

I'll be honest- this really gets me. I have asthma and I am deathly allergic to cats (I can visit someone who has thoroughly cleaned their house and removed the cat and I will still start wheezing within 5 minutes.). I cannot stay at many pet friendly hotels because they cannot guarentee that a cat has not stayed in the room (Some chains will have designated rooms but many do not). But I don't have any ADA guidelines to protect me- I am just merely turned away.

I hope everyone realizes that a dog's presense concerns us not because he is on the ship (I am fine if we are kept apart and want everyone to enjoy a cruise) but concerns those of us who have been rushed to the ER because he or she cannot breathe and is worried where that dog may have been. Yes, I know that a brief contact won't hurt me, but nontheless, the sight of an animal brings up an instinctive fear from prior experience. Not being able to breathe is frightening. Yes, I always bring my meds. But even with meds it can be incredibly uncomfortable and life-threatening.

We talked to the owner extensively -- the dog is there for allergen reasons. The owner had once almost died of an unknown allergy attack from sesame oil on an RCL cruise ship. After he went to an allergist, the allergist gave him an extensive list of all foods he was deathly allergic to. The dog sniffs out any food before he eats anything in case there are trace ingredients that he cannot eat.

Yup. I was just about to chime in and say that. We have sailed with this gentleman and his very cute dog in the past. At first we were a little confused why he had the dog as well. He did explain it was for his allergies though.

Ok, I absolutely love my dog (Norman :)) and we always say how we would love if we could bring him on vacation with us because he's like our son (no kids for us) but he would be miserable!!! He is not a fan of water and he needs space to run around....our pocket books won't allow for a large suite!!

However, I do have a question for the experts on Service Dogs. I'm a complete sucker for dogs of all kinds and often will pet dogs I see wherever we're at (of course, asking the owner first) I even stopped during an 8K race to pet a beautiful Newfoundland that was with the observers-my husband still teases me about that :rolleyes:. But am I correct that you should never pet a service dog? I understand it may be different for "therapy" dogs, but I never truly knew the rules about service dogs. Is there ever a time that they can just be dogs? Or do they literally work 24 hours a day? I know this isn't cruise specific, but I'd be interested to know the specifics.

If the dog is actively "working" ie guiding or performing a task, then no, do not pet it. If the owner is sitting in a chair in a lobby relaxing with the dog lying next to them for example, then it's fine to ask about the dog and even to ask to pet it. But always ask first. "Your dog is very handsome/beuatiful, is it working right now? May I pet it?" Engage the owner in conversation while you interact with the dog.

He performs a task.

Under ADA any animal can be a service animal (well not a true "pet" according to the guidelines, but really any animal). You could bring a snake with you and call it a service animal and under the ADA guidelines they are can NOT require you to have documentation that it is a service animal.

This is NOT true. The law was changed in 2010 due to ABUSE. An animal must PERFORM A TASK in order to be a service animal. OTherwise it's a therapy animal and NOT covered under ADA.

While no one can ask what the disability is, they can ask what specific TASK the animal does. No task, no go.

I'll be honest- this really gets me. I have asthma and I am deathly allergic to cats (I can visit someone who has thoroughly cleaned their house and removed the cat and I will still start wheezing within 5 minutes.). I cannot stay at many pet friendly hotels because they cannot guarentee that a cat has not stayed in the room (Some chains will have designated rooms but many do not). But I don't have any ADA guidelines to protect me- I am just merely turned away.

I hope everyone realizes that a dog's presense concerns us not because he is on the ship (I am fine if we are kept apart and want everyone to enjoy a cruise) but concerns those of us who have been rushed to the ER because he or she cannot breathe and is worried where that dog may have been. Yes, I know that a brief contact won't hurt me, but nontheless, the sight of an animal brings up an instinctive fear from prior experience. Not being able to breathe is frightening. Yes, I always bring my meds. But even with meds it can be incredibly uncomfortable and life-threatening.

Please be aware that you may encounter security dogs at many ports. We’ve seen them in customs and with security at several ports. They do not roam free, but they will be there.

M

If the dog is actively "working" ie guiding or performing a task, then no, do not pet it. If the owner is sitting in a chair in a lobby relaxing with the dog lying next to them for example, then it's fine to ask about the dog and even to ask to pet it. But always ask first. "Your dog is very handsome/beuatiful, is it working right now? May I pet it?" Engage the owner in conversation while you interact with the dog.

Thanks for the response. I've always assumed that anyway, so I've never actually attempted to engage them, even when they weren't "working". I really should just stop obsessing over dogs in general-if my husband would have let me, we would have adopted/rescued MANY more at this point :p He puts his foot down tho!

This is NOT true. The law was changed in 2010 due to ABUSE. An animal must PERFORM A TASK in order to be a service animal. OTherwise it's a therapy animal and NOT covered under ADA.

While no one can ask what the disability is, they can ask what specific TASK the animal does. No task, no go.

You are correct I was still going off of the FAQ here (sorry):

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

However it was in 2011 (March) the change took place and service animal is now only a dog (well it can be a MINI horse too) and may only ask 2 questions about the task which can be anything you say is a task.

Too bad they are allergic to sesame oil and not dogs, like some people.

You are correct I was still going off of the FAQ here (sorry):

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

However it was in 2011 (March) the change took place and service animal is now only a dog (well it can be a MINI horse too) and may only ask 2 questions about the task which can be anything you say is a task.

Sorry--that was a typo. meant 2011. But it has to be a task. It has to do something. It can't just make you feel less anxious. It can guide, pull, open or close doors, pick things up, turn on lights, alert to seizures or allergens, or do other tasks. But it must be a task and it must be directly related to the disability.

In the case of miniature horses, generally their task is to pull a person with mobility challenges, as opposed to alerting.

It is proper etiquette to never pet a Service Dog, particularly if they are wearing their service wrap/jacket. There are times that they are off duty but the average person might not know when that time is therefore before petting a service dog you should always ask their owner.

Therapy dogs on the other hand it's generally OK to pet the pet the dog while they are working. Basically that's one of the jobs of a Therapy Dog.

Archived