Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

With regard to tipping bartenders if you have the Premium Package, you bring cash for that and tip as you would in a regular bar? Since you are not having to sign a slip, there is no mechanism to tip with each drink and add it to your onboard account, right? We are used to tipping $1 per drink on a cruise but don't usually carry around a lot of singles on a cruise, so that would be something to plan for if using the Premium package.

It was my understanding that you have already paid 15% gratuity with the package. I had not really planned on tipping every drink.

It was my understanding that you have already paid 15% gratuity with the package. I had not really planned on tipping every drink.

This is correct. When you buy the package they add in a 15% gratuity to the total price of the package which is then, presumably, added into the tip pool for bar servers on the ship. In contrast, when you purchase a drink on the ship they add the 15% onto the price of the drink for each individual drink you purchase.

So there is no need to carry cash around the ship and tip individual drinks. Some people do like to tip extra, especially at bars where they are a "regular", if they get extra nice service but this is a personal choice and not a requirement. We occasionally do this but if we're a regular at a lounge and receive special service during the cruise we tend to hold off until the end of the cruise and then give an extra larger amount to show our appreciation.

Indeed, like the speciality restaurants the tip is already included, so you do not need to tip again.

Your boarding card will have the drink package code on it. Card must be shown when ordering drinks. Premium package includes ALL drinks on board with the exception of "bottles" of wine, and your mini bar in cabin... My wife and I found the premium package was well worth purchasing.

Indeed, like the speciality restaurants the tip is already included, so you do not need to tip again.

You don't need to tip extra, no more than you need to give extra to your cabin Steward the end of the cruise. It's an individual decision.

Edited by librarylady19

Your boarding card will have the drink package code on it. Card must be shown when ordering drinks. Premium package includes ALL drinks on board with the exception of "bottles" of wine, and your mini bar in cabin... My wife and I found the premium package was well worth purchasing.

Does it include the bottled water they leave in your stateroom as well? I suppose if not, one could always drink that water and then replace it gratis from any bar, seems like it would be pointless to charge for those, but I can just see myself at the pursers desk now, disputing $60 in charges for in-room bottled water. :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is a brilliant posting! Thank you so much for putting into perspective for us. We love a few glasses of wine and some cocktails on our cruises and will be buying a package thanks to your post. Happy cruising.

We used the calculator to see if a package made sense. It would if we did the juices and coffees. Lots of calories there.

So on our last 12 night cruise we just did our normal thing, wine at some lunches and a bottle of wine at dinner. We carried on wine for our room. And we carried on bottled water at all ports. Our total bill for both of us at the end of the cruise was $323 which included some shuttles etc. to give it a bit of margin for flexibiltiy. So yes we would get value and convenience with a package but going with our normal habits saves the price of a cruise. Of course, to each their own.

Edited by happy cruzer

Does it include the bottled water they leave in your stateroom as well? I suppose if not, one could always drink that water and then replace it gratis from any bar, seems like it would be pointless to charge for those, but I can just see myself at the pursers desk now, disputing $60 in charges for in-room bottled water. :D

The packages do not include any in room purchases such as from room service or the mini bar. If you want bottled water under your package then obtain it at any bar on board and take it back to your cabin on your own.

Trying to do the math....

BIG question: Does the $54-day drink package include liquor in the room? If not, then for an 11-day cruise, the cost of two drink packages, plus a few bottles of liquor in the room, (say two bottles of vodka, and two bottles of tequila @$80 per bottle, your looking at a bar tab of somewhere around $1200-1400 bucks. YIKES! I may need to enroll in smuggling school, or go on the wagon......

BIG question: Does the $54-day drink package include liquor in the room? If not, then for an 11-day cruise, the cost of two drink packages, plus a few bottles of liquor in the room, (say two bottles of vodka, and two bottles of tequila @$80 per bottle, your looking at a bar tab of somewhere around $1200-1400 bucks. YIKES! I may need to enroll in smuggling school, or go on the wagon......

NO...... the beverage package does NOT include bottles of liquor in the cabin. If you want a drink for your cabin, you simply go to a bar and bring one back. If you prefer having drinks readily available in your cabin, then opt for the bottle package.

Can I add another question here...we like to have a bottle in our room and were thinking of buying the Stateroom setup. Would the Premium package provide us with the same experience - not the bottle in the room but access to drinks that we can bring back to the room?

Can I add another question here...we like to have a bottle in our room and were thinking of buying the Stateroom setup. Would the Premium package provide us with the same experience - not the bottle in the room but access to drinks that we can bring back to the room?

Yes, the beverage packages allow you to bring your beverage back to your stateroom.

If you need the stateroom bar setup then the unlimited beverage package is probably not for you. Consider just the statroom setup and buying the rest of your drinks on an individual basis. I just can't see both being worth it to anyone.

The beverage packages do not include any room service or mini bar beverages. The only way you can get beverages for your cabin under the unlimited beverage packages is to go to the bar and get one and take it back. And the most you can do at one time is one per package purchased (you need a seapass card showing a package for each drink ordered at one time).

Edited by Lsimon

Original poster checking back in! WOW over 80,000 posts....I should get a free drink for winning the most replys contest LOL

Surprisingly my qualifier worked cause I didn't receive a single negative comment about our holiday alcohol consumption...WELL DONE FOLKS!

Just got the package discount for our upcoming cruise in Jan so now I believe that the drink package truly is the "best cruise deal ever!"

Cheers and to those who bought a package based on my info...have a cool one for me!

Original poster checking back in! WOW over 80,000 posts....I should get a free drink for winning the most replys contest LOL

Surprisingly my qualifier worked cause I didn't receive a single negative comment about our holiday alcohol consumption...WELL DONE FOLKS!

Just got the package discount for our upcoming cruise in Jan so now I believe that the drink package truly is the "best cruise deal ever!"

Cheers and to those who bought a package based on my info...have a cool one for me!

CHEERS to you! Well done!:D

Wow, timing is everything. I wanted to thank you for your original daily breakdown of your drinks vs. the Premium package. We were just making the comparison on the "spread sheet" provided on another thread to help us make up our mind. We too love a few drinks while sailing, a specialty coffee each afternoon, wine with dinner but we drink different varietals, and a martini/manhattan or two in the evening. Not including all the water I drink and Foo Foo frozen drinks by the pool, we are going to take the plunge and purchase the premium package for each of us. Only down turn is we are on a 14 night cruise and we both like alcholic drinks and wine; apx $1500. We will just skip ship tours and ship board purchases this time including photos. That should equal out our vacation budget.

Many thanks,

Cheers, this post and the calculator helped me decide to purchase the premium package for our July 13 Equinox cruise...will have at least one cold one for you every day;)

yes, cheers to you...and us!! I couldn't agree more with your initial assertion; it is indeed the best deal ever for many..

There have been negative comments on other threads, so I'm glad this thread has stayed positive.

Question: The Seapass card (I believe that's what it's called), does it have your picture on it or something? What stops me from handing it to my husband so he can go up and get a drink if I have an alcoholic package and he has non-alcoholic package?

Question: The Seapass card (I believe that's what it's called), does it have your picture on it or something? What stops me from handing it to my husband so he can go up and get a drink if I have an alcoholic package and he has non-alcoholic package?

No picture on the sea pass itself. They take your photo upon boarding and that information comes up when the card is swiped I believe. It would be obvious that you are not your husband and vice versa.

Edited by librarylady19

Now I am a bit confused...

I was led to believe that I could take my card and my (soon to be) wife's card up to a bar and get two drinks. If we both have the premium package, that won't be a problem, correct? No matter what picture pops up? Do I just have to point to where she is or something?