Is the food really as good as all that

geneharack1

Food quality is, of course, subjective. That being said, let me give you some thoughts. DW and I both felt that the food in the MDR on Oceania was superior to the MDR food on Disney or HAL (much better than HAL!). Was the MDR food great? Probably not, but better than the other two lines. (The mini lamb chops for breakfast were unusual and outstanding.)

We did not eat in the specialty restaurant on Disney, but did several times on HAL. We both felt, as did our friends, that the specialty restaurants on HAL were no better than and possibly worse than the MDR -- and for an extra fee -- I would never again bother!

And then there are the specialty restaurants on Oceania! We have not yet been on the new bigger Oceania ships, but Polo and Toscana were superb -- both were truly special. Great Italian meals in Toscana and wonderful steakhouse meals in Polo. In a nutshell, we ate on one or the other 7 times in a 14 day cruise!

I'm kind of a foodie and just wondered what people views were about the food. Any comments or Menus Or even Pics of FOOD would be greatly apprciated. Thanks

I've cruise 40 times and the best MDF I've experienced was on Oceania. Azamara would be in second and Celebrity in third.

Go and enjoy some excellent cuisine.

Kel:)

I've cruise 40 times and the best MDF I've experienced was on Oceania. Azamara would be in second and Celebrity in third.

Go and enjoy some excellent cuisine.

Kel:)

give the same ratings...the food in the speciality dining rooms as well as the Tapas Grill was excellent (in that venue I'm speaking of Marina). LuAnn

I'm kind of a foodie and just wondered what people views were about the food. Any comments or Menus Or even Pics of FOOD would be greatly apprciated. Thanks

Here's my take.

If by "a foodie" you mean you are accustomed to eating in 4 star restaurants in large cities you will be disappointed. O food is quite good (some items are outstanding), but it is still mass produced and will not equal the quality of a truly high end restaurant. I personally have been disappointed in Polo Grill and Toscana when I compare them to the steakhouses and Italian restaurants I often enjoy in New York. I find the specialty restaurants on Celebrity to be far superior. It's subjective.

Set your expectations low and you likely will be pleasantly surprised. We prefer Tapas to the MDR because we like to sample lots of different things and that way we are sure to find something we love. There is so much food on any ship that I firmly believe everyone can find something to eat that truly pleases their palate.

We have sailed on Regent, Paul Gauguin and Oceania and by far Ocean's 2 free specialty restaurants are the best. I am still thinking about Polo's and we sailed last April. Enjoy!

Subjective it sure is.

I thought the PG had the best food I've had at sea by far and I have been disappointed twice in Polo and Toscana. LOL

I have some great food pics, but I do not know how to post them so they are large enough. I posted a pic of a burger and shake from Waves on another thread and it was very small.

If someone can tell me how to make them larger when I attach them here, I will post some.

You have to differentiate the Marina from the R ships. (As Paul mentioned on another thread.) On Marina the Terrace at night is superior to the GDR imo. You can get grilled lonster, steaks, pasta prepared to order, sushi etc and that's besides the normal offerings. Also Red Ginger and Jacques are superior imo to Polo and Toscana both in food quality and preparation as well as atmosphere and service.

If you are a true foodie who frequents Per Se and Jean Georges, please do not expect that kind of quality on O. It is impossible to obtain on any ship. But if you go with the expectation that you will eat well you will not be disappointed.

You have to differentiate the Marina from the R ships. (As Paul mentioned on another thread.) On Marina the Terrace at night is superior to the GDR imo. You can get grilled lonster, steaks, pasta prepared to order, sushi etc and that's besides the normal offerings. Also Red Ginger and Jacques are superior imo to Polo and Toscana both in food quality and preparation as well as atmosphere and service.

If you are a true foodie who frequents Per Se and Jean Georges, please do not expect that kind of quality on O. It is impossible to obtain on any ship. But if you go with the expectation that you will eat well you will not be disappointed.

I will be on Marina in November and I am looking forward to Jacques and Red Ginger. We prefer Tapas to the MDR on R ships but with the offerings you describe at Tapas on the Marina I doubt we will eat in the MDR at all on our upcoming cruise.

MDW prefers Toscana, I Prefer Polo, we both love the terrace for breakfast & lunch ( Waves is great for lunch to). The MDR is prefered over Tapas for supper not because of food quality but because I prefer to order and have meal served while enjoying table mates over hunting and gathering food in Tapas, but each to thier oppinion.

Bill

Oceania has many advantages and strong points but I don't think I would create a major controversy if I stated that the food is their strongest suit. Particularly so on the Marina with the 4 specialty restaurants and the outstanding Terrace Grill.

By all standards, it is some of the best cuisine at sea.

Enjoy.

Have been home since Aug 27th and am still in Terrace withdrawal--oh, those lobster tails!!!!!!! They have to find some way to put the grill on the r ships before I get to Regatta next Aug. We ony ate in the GDR once, the 4 specialties once each--all other dinners were at Terrace Cafe on Marina. Pat

Have been home since Aug 27th and am still in Terrace withdrawal--oh, those lobster tails!!!!!!! They have to find some way to put the grill on the r ships before I get to Regatta next Aug. We ony ate in the GDR once, the 4 specialties once each--all other dinners were at Terrace Cafe on Marina. Pat

My exact sentiments and experiences :D

We'll miss the Grill on Regatta this Fall :(

+1 particularly the set your expectations low part.

We've been consistently underwhelmed by Polo and would put it at the bottom of the restaurant list with Toscana at the top, Tapas/Terrace 2nd and MDR 3rd, Waves 4th (due to the limited choices).

A grill at Tapas/Terrace would be most welcome.

Here's my take.

If by "a foodie" you mean you are accustomed to eating in 4 star restaurants in large cities you will be disappointed. O food is quite good (some items are outstanding), but it is still mass produced and will not equal the quality of a truly high end restaurant. I personally have been disappointed in Polo Grill and Toscana when I compare them to the steakhouses and Italian restaurants I often enjoy in New York. I find the specialty restaurants on Celebrity to be far superior. It's subjective.

Set your expectations low and you likely will be pleasantly surprised. We prefer Tapas to the MDR because we like to sample lots of different things and that way we are sure to find something we love. There is so much food on any ship that I firmly believe everyone can find something to eat that truly pleases their palate.

I'm considering an Oceania cruise, but am also concerned about the food quality. I guess you can say I am a foodie.

We just got back from our first Seabourn cruise (Legend) and was wondering if anyone could compare Oceania to Seabourn as far as food quality goes.

If it helps, I would say I considered Seabourn to be very good to excellent food on MOST nights (there were a few bland/unimpressive exceptions).

I'm considering an Oceania cruise, but am also concerned about the food quality. I guess you can say I am a foodie.

We just got back from our first Seabourn cruise (Legend) and was wondering if anyone could compare Oceania to Seabourn as far as food quality goes.

If it helps, I would say I considered Seabourn to be very good to excellent food on MOST nights (there were a few bland/unimpressive exceptions).

Funny you should ask: we just had dinner with friends who were on the two new Seabourn ships as well as on Oceania. They thought the food was better on O, actually the best of any ships they have been on which also includes Silversea and Crystal. We are loooking forward to our first Marina cruise, having previously sailed on Seabourn and Silversea. They said that using the Zagat rating system, O would compare to Chicago restaurants with food ratings of 24 or 25, but not to a few of the really unique places like Alinea or Charlie Trotter's.

You may want to look at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468910&highlight=seabourn+oceania

Archived