How do you pack your jewelry/accessories??

RQINFL

i use the ziplocks now...actually put the smaller pieces in small little jewelry plastic bags and they all go into a bigger ziplock-each ziplock goes with a certain outfit all seperated out so no time is wasted looking for this or that to go with a specific outfit and then those ziplocks go into larger cosmetic type travel bags that go in my personal carry-on and hubbys...i usually have two for all the bags.-i started carrying them way and now am not stopped at security for having to much metal

..i dont skimp on takin the jewerly when i travel and now that pieces are bigger they take up more room but i ALWAYs have room for the jewelry!!

i have hair accessories that i put in another type of little travel bag that goes into my carry-on.

i stay organized with all my little bags that pack very well into other bags.

I use this:

http://www.penhaligons.com/shop/accessories/shop-by-product-type/cufflink-boxes/cufflink-jewellery-box-in-nero-621046.html

The only difference is the one I have has one large compartment and three small ones instead of 9 small ones. It's great because it is hard-sided so my stuff doesn't get crushed and it has a small pocket in the lid for a polishing cloth. I like the small compartments for earrings, chains, etc and the large compartment is perfect for bracelets or larger pendants.

Walgreen's has little ziploc pill pouches that are great for earrings or other small jewelry

pieces. I put all of these in a quart size ziploc.

Bigger pieces I put in a jewelry roll with clear zippered compartments.

are they like a tiny plastic baggy?

i sent for my little baggies--2 sizes for the individual pieces of jewelry, but if i can get them locally that would be great...cos i am running out!

I got this idea from this board years ago, where someone used it for a first aid pouch, but I loved it and thought it would make a good jewelry pouch. It does!

If you sew...

I took a darling potholder (never used, had been one of my grandma's) that had a loop sewn on the middle edge of one side. I then overlapped the bottoms (by about 1/2 inch) of snack-sized ziploc bags, half opening to the loop side, and half opening to the opposite side. I put 8 bags total on mine (4 facing each opposite side). Sew a simple straight stitch (using a longer stitch length) right across the potholder, catching the overlapped bottom edge of all the bags in it. Sew a wooden button (I used a toggle button) on the side opposite the loop, fold the potholder in half, button the button and voila...you have a simple jewelry pouch. I put earrings in one bag toward the middle, so they don't poke through to the outside. Then, I organize by "set"; i.e. necklace, bracelet and possibly anklet in each pouch.

I've had this for 10 years now, and I did replace the bags one time. I simply used a ripper to remove the line of straight stitching, overlapped the new bags slightly, re-sewed the straight stitching and I was good to go again.

I use a satin-like pouch, it is 12" long, has a large pocket on the top, 3 zippered pockets and it closes around itself with a tie; I think someone got it around Christmas; I also have a pouch from Diamonds International and put some jewelry in there and put it in this pouch; it also holds my eye shadows and stuff like that

I've found that so many of my costume jewelry pieces are too large for a jewelry roll, or I forget what I selected for each outfit. So my solution has been to put the pieces with each outfit. I pack in a rolling garment case, or use the garment area of our other case for all my evening clothes both cocktail dresses and casual nights so all my clothes are packed on hangers with dry cleaner bags over them. I have a bunch of the drawstring bags I got from Chicos (most of them my SIL gave to me). I'm not sure if they still give them away, but any small drawstring bag will work. I hang the jewelry pieces right with the clothing and it's easier to get ready, no searching for the right piece. I like it better than ziplocs, as those can tear or puncture.

My real jewelry I keep in my purse, I have a small jewelry roll for that. I don't put them in my carry on, since I've had my carry on taken from me and gate checked a couple times now. Thanks you to people who only pack carry on now and take up all the overhead space :rolleyes:

I put everything in zip locks. I plan for each outfit and label each bag- if something in bag goes with another outfit, that is marked as well and I make the switch after worn. All zips goe into one large zip into carry on. I have done this many times and works great. This way I just grab the labeled bag as I am getting dressed and no hunting for what to use for my outfit. I take index cards and half them and hook earrings on to card with a tiny piece of tape and holds them perfectly. If there is a necklace, I do the same thing to hold them tangle free.

I use a satin-like pouch, it is 12" long, has a large pocket on the top, 3 zippered pockets and it closes around itself with a tie; I think someone got it around Christmas; I also have a pouch from Diamonds International and put some jewelry in there and put it in this pouch; it also holds my eye shadows and stuff like that

I have something similar; called a jewelry roll, maybe. it's satin, has one large pocket and several smaller zip pockets.

I also buy the small zip pouches at a local hobby store in different sizes and put necklaces, earrings, etc. in them.

This year I might try putting all the small pouches in a larger zip-lock bag and see if that works better than the roll bag--since you can see them.

Everything goes in my carry-on bag; then in the safe on the ship. I don't even pack costume jewelry in checked luggage. Now that many necklaces are larger again, it does take up more space!

I use a jewelry roll with clear pouches. I tie the strings in a loop and hang it on a hanger in the closet. I can see everything at a glance, it's very handy. Of course, fine jewelry travels on my person or in my purse, and always goes in the safe.

I sewed this from looking at it online. I will post a link. It looks great, but to be honest I haven't used it yet. I also using the same idea from the same site, have cut out a larger version for use as a "junk" drawer. Like for playing cards and our flash lights, etc. I haven't sewn the larger one yet, I lent my sewing machine to a daughter for the 10 months she is back in the USA. Maybe I will buy a second machine so I have one to use...I am missing having mine.

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/10-20-30-minutes-to-sew-nancy-zieman-for-mccalls/sew-a-gift%E2%80%94jewelry-roll-up/

I had enough fabric and some extra zippers around to make the larger one with the left over fabric and plastic from the jewelery one.

I make jewellery so I take a LOT of it when I cruise. lol I don't wear much during the day but I often make custom pieces to match my formal wear. You can see some of the jewellery I've made for myself here if you like:

http://community.webshots.com/user/shellybaillie

I pack my costume jewellery in zip lock bags but for my good jewellery, I looked long and hard for a good jewellery roll. They must be out of vogue because I couldn't find one anywhere! I looked in all the luggage stores as well as the better anchor stores. I did eventually find a few available online but they were not what I was looking for plus they were ridiculously expensive.

One day, my hubby and I were shopping in Macy's and he asked one of the women at the jewellery counter if they carried any jewellery rolls and struck up a conversation with her about how we'd been looking for something for travelling. She took us aside and told us that coincidently, they were starting a special promotion the next week. Everyone that spent $200 or more on David Yurman jewellery, would receive one of his custom made jewellery rolls.

She showed it to us and it was perfect! It's black faux suede (soft and washable) lined with black satin. It has multiple pockets for different sized pieces as well as a snap-on band to hold my rings. (This comes in handy because I don't ever wear my rings when we go into a port.) It rolls up and ties with satin cords decorated with silver David Yurman beads. Then she gave us one! Wasn't that lovely of her? I've used it several times now and it's exactly what I needed. It keeps all of my good jewellery protected and fits perfectly into any room safe. :)

snip...

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/10-20-30-minutes-to-sew-nancy-zieman-for-mccalls/sew-a-gift%E2%80%94jewelry-roll-up/

I had enough fabric and some extra zippers around to make the larger one with the left over fabric and plastic from the jewelery one.

Thanks for this great link, just what I needed

Sandy in Spain

Archived