Please help. Very overwhelmed!

Alaska_2012

I am planning a trip to Alaska for my family of four (next July). My head is spinning from the choices and I really need some guidance . This will be out first cruise and I want to make the right decision.

From what I have read, it looks like Holland America and Princess are known for the best cruises to Alaska. I am hoping to book a stateroom with a balcony and it looks like the Princess may be out of our price range ($5736.00 for 7 nights :eek:).

The two I am looking at right now are, the Carnival Spirit and Holland America ms Oosterdam. Holland America is about $500 more than Carnival. Holland America comes in right at $5000 and I would like to not go over that if necessary. Like I said, Princess and also Celebrity are closer to $6000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read and read and am still not any closer to a decision. I'm sure we will be happy which ever route we take. Not looking for a lot of entertainment, etc. We are really just interested in seeing what Alaska has to offer. Thanks so much! :D

Hi welcome to Cruise Critic. First I hope you enjoy your cruise with your family whatever ship you choose. Different cruise lines offer a different type of cruise experience. So I would suggest going to a reliable TA to find out about your options. We are not allowed to suggest or name TA on cruise critic, so ask friends or co workers for some advice with that. Your Carnival choice might be better for a younger family group , and Holland America for an older group , having said that you will see all ages on a Alaska cruise since it is in the summer months when school is out.

Cori

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL, Princess and Celebrity have been cruising Alaska for many years. Since HAL seems closer to your budget I would take a close look at HAL.

A great source for Alaska information is the Alaska Ports of Call board that can also be found on cruise critic. This link will take you to the Alaska Ports of call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Keith

We chose Diamond Princess out of Whittier (Anchorage) south to Vancouver for our cruise to Alaska. But, we took a 4 day cruise tour first into Denali. Stayed at Princess Lodge in Denali. Loved it. If you go to Denali, be sure to book a side trip to Jeff King's homestead. He won the Iditarod 4x and you get a close up experience with the dogs (hold a puppy thru the entire presentation). You can do this at the Princess Lodge . Also, go for the all day tour of Denali if you really want to see wildlife. We saw 12 grizzly bears, eagle, sheep, wolf, elk, etc. The short tour only goes to mile 15.

Princess and HAL are the big players in Alaska.

When it comes to budgets for Alaskan cruises, don't forget figuring out the cost of shore excursions. They can be very pricy. Although you can also have a great time doing less expensive things on your own--such as taking the bus to see the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau or renting a car to drive into the Yukon from Skagway.

Personally, I'd rather knock back my category of cabin from a balcony to an inside than to go on Carnival.

It looks like you are thinking mostly of the RT out of Seattle cruises, is that correct? I suggest you:

- find a good discount TA, because the pricing you listed is not matching up with what I can find online.

- when you figure your budget, include an appropriate amount for airfare and travel insurance.

- realize that the whole point of going to Alaska is to see Alaska, so please budget for some excursions that will allow your family to get out and actually see Alaska.

- understand that there are other onboard expenses and spending beyond the cruise fare, as a rule of thumb figure about $50 per person per day. This should cover excursions, drinks, sodas, tips and souvenirs. That amount can go lower, but it can also go much higher. Even kids will have daily tips.

-depending on the age of your kids, if they are old enough it makes financial sense to put them in an inside room near your balcony. The extra room gives everyone more space and the cost is comparable to the price of taking them as the third and fourth pax in your room.

Think about what you have heard about balconies, and then think about the weather/climate in Alaska. If your kids are young enough that you are thinking of hanging out on your balcony while they nap or at bedtime, you may find it a bit chilly or wet...Breakfast can be chilly, too. The best views are up on deck.

I would suggest on HAL that there are inside cabins on Oosterdam, particularly the J & K cabins on Main deck and I cabins on Navigation deck that are larger than any other cabins onboard until you get to suites. You go to Alaska for the Alaska experience and not to see the inside of your cabin, or see it from a balcony. Those who 'won't cruise without a balcony' should not deter you from sailing in the category you can afford. EM

Thank you! I'm starting to rethink the whole "got to have a balcony" idea. Maybe we go with an inside room on Celebrity, HAL or Princess?

As far as itinerary, I'm afraid I've been focusing to much on the ship. I will definitely decide the itinerary first and then go from there.

Does anyone know if there is a train connecting Seattle and Vancouver? Would that be cheaper than flying into Vancouver (from Georgia)?

Thanks!

We cruised Alaska in 2005, with Celebrity, and even though we a balcony room, when we were in the glacier, almost everyone was on deck enjoying the scenery. We spent about 3 hours just cruising (in a circle) the glacier. It was beautiful. We would consider Celebrity again, in a heartbeat.

Good to know Moegr. July would be most convenient as far as work goes but I will look into going in May. Thank you.

Also, a question on itinerary. Royal Caribbean includes an entire day in Victoria (9am-7pm) and Princess goes to Glacier Bay. I know a lot of people say Glacier Bay is not to be missed and some wished for more time in Victoria. Opinions?

Alaska 2012,

That's the ship we were on and we only have good things to say about the ship, crew and the trip in general. We were with a convention from a trade organization my hubby belongs to and were with about 250 our closest friends, LOL.

.......As far as itinerary, I'm afraid I've been focusing to much on the ship. I will definitely decide the itinerary first and then go from there.

Does anyone know if there is a train connecting Seattle and Vancouver? Would that be cheaper than flying into Vancouver (from Georgia)?

Just price out the various options. Flying into Seattle is usually cheaper than flying into Vancouver.

Then consider the various ways of getting from the Seattle airport to Vancouver: using cruise transfers, the quick shuttle bus, the train, renting a car one-way, or even flying from SEA to YVR (which is usually the most expensive way, but sometimes you may get a surprise).

For 4 people, your best bet may turn out to be a one-way rental car in each direction, or a rental car out and another way going back .

Cruise Critic's own Joanie is currently on a HAL cruise where she is using rental cars in both directions between Seattle and Vancouver, so she would be a good one to tell you about her experiences after she gets back.

If I could add just one suggestion, it would be to do a round trip from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Granted, the air fare to Vancouver is a lot more than Seattle but there are ways to get from Seattle to Vancouver that could save you some money. Both of my Alaska cruises have been out of Vancouver and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the city before I left. It is a fabulous place with so much to explore and see. It was my precruise vacation. Also, sailing up the inside passage is in very calm waters with spectacular views all day long.

You're going to love Alaska! It will touch your heart and soul in a way you never expected. :)

Thank y'all so much. I'm definitely trying to work Vancouver out. I've just found out my budget is more than anticipated so I have more options. I'm looking at taking the Amtrack from Seattle to Van. and will check out the rental car idea. If anyone has the time could you please compare the itineraries for the Golden Princess on 7/7 and the Celebrity Century on 7/1? It looks like a lot of the ships that leave Vancouver end up in Alaska and I'm not interests in that. Thanks so, so much!!

Archived