Crossing the Pacific to Hawaii

GlendaleCruiser

Can some of you experienced passengers who have made the 4-day voyage to Hawaii enlighten us on what to expect temperature wise?

We will be going in March. We know the temps in Hawaii will be around 68-night to 78-day.

But what about the crossing? Is it going to be cold at night? During the day?

I have no idea what to expect but hoping since we are going South it will be warm and not too cold.;)

Is it El Nino or La Nina? Some say that the temperatures caused by those things make a difference.

You are sailing from one micro-climate to another. In between you might get who-knows-what. Typically, the first evening and full day are less-than-tropical and you get warmer as the trip progresses. On return, you go more southerly, toward Mexico and it isn't until you get closer to North America that you will begin to feel any difference in temperatures.

That being said, one can never, ever predict what will happen. It changes every time you sail away. It is a wonderful, relaxing cruise. No matter the weather, if you like sea days, you will love this cruise!!!!

Jim

We've done this itinerary twice (2007 & 2009) over Thanksgiving and we are booked again this Thanksgiving. It is our experience that the weather on sailing day (after you are underway) can be foggy and cold. The seas can be rather bouncy (rough) as well the first day or two. The weather the first day at sea will be cool (sweater/jeans) and warm up from there. Basically the same on the way back. I don't know if this will be the same in March but would expect similar.

Doug

Can some of you experienced passengers who have made the 4-day voyage to Hawaii enlighten us on what to expect temperature wise?

We will be going in March. We know the temps in Hawaii will be around 68-night to 78-day.

But what about the crossing? Is it going to be cold at night? During the day?

I have no idea what to expect but hoping since we are going South it will be warm and not too cold.;)

I've made this trip about 12 times since 1975 the last in late March/early April 2011. The weather is changeable so dress in layers. It's usually windy between the west coast and HI and it can be foggy with low clouds too. It's sometimes bumpy and it can be chilly once you're a day off the coast to a day prior to HI. Don't sweat the weather, just enjoy the days you get. Go to http://www.passageweather.com 2 days before sailing to get a comprehensive idea of what you'll face at the onset of the transit. Great site as it gives wave height, surface wind, and temperatures. Enjoy

We sailed towards the end of April, and first two day were very cool and remained relatively cool until the last full day before arriving in Hawaii.

That cruise still remain's the only time in 35 cruises that I got sea sick, which was the first night sailing from california. :eek:

Srpilo

We sailed towards the end of April, and first two day were very cool and remained relatively cool until the last full day before arriving in Hawaii.

That cruise still remain's the only time in 35 cruises that I got sea sick, which was the first night sailing from california. :eek:

Srpilo

Sailing out of LA I believe that you are crossing certain currents before you reach a calmer area, so you will have some choppy water. And as said before cooler weather the first day to two days, then calmer water and warmer weather. Coming back it is a reverse. Just dress in layers you will be fine.

Cori

Thanks, all for your expertise and experiences.

We aren't worried about the weather, just don't want to over pack or pack the wrong things.

Sounds like the consensus is layers:D

(Gee, that's the same advice for Alaska:confused:)

One more question: Are we going to have sunny days by the pool on the way there, then?

You *should* have sunny days prior to arriving in the islands. We're not poolside people but I don't remember the weather being cloudy or rainy other than the first full day being cold and partly cloudy - a little too cold to sit on the balcony without a blanket. We've had great weather in the past and expect the same this November. We loved taking lunch back to our room and eating on the balcony.

Regardless of the weather, a cruise with bad weather is still better than a day at work!

Doug

Most likely you should have some sunny days. We have done this cruise twice both times starting on 12/22. The first time, it was cool leaving LA and it got warmer a day or two before reaching Hawaii. It ended up being warm even getting back to the west coast as there was a mini heat wave at that time. Rough seas the first few days, but pretty smooth the rest of the time.

Last December, it was raining when we left LA (we had a week of rain leading up to that day) and some rain the next few days. We had typical Hawaiian weather while in the islands, but it was pretty windy and not really warm on the ship. The rest of the cruise wasn't warm at all. Only got to try out MUTS on two nights (and one of them it was so windy). The teens, including my daughter, were out by the pools, no matter what weather. But the cruise was fantastic, especially all the Hawaiian activities. And the Golden does have a pool that's under a retractable roof.

It's so stupid that Princess doesn't do this itinerary in the summer, when all the days would be warm. I don't see the point of scheduling a "tropical" destination itinerary such that the ambiant conditions for one-third of the cruise require one to tote along jackets and long pants.

Sailing out of LA I believe that you are crossing certain currents before you reach a calmer area, so you will have some choppy water. And as said before cooler weather the first day to two days, then calmer water and warmer weather. Coming back it is a reverse. Just dress in layers you will be fine.
Correct. The California Current flows strongly from the Gulf of Alaska along the coast to Baja California. The water is very cold, particularly in winter. This is why when it can be over 100-degrees just inland in southern CA in the summer, it can be upper 60's, low-70's right on the coast. It'll take a day or two to cross it both going to HI and returning. Temps in the San Pedro area will most likely be in the low 60's in March and it'll probably not warm up until you sail through the Current. As said, layers.

It's so stupid that Princess doesn't do this itinerary in the summer, when all the days would be warm. I don't see the point of scheduling a "tropical" destination itinerary such that the ambiant conditions for one-third of the cruise require one to tote along jackets and long pants.

I still wonder why Princess doesn't bring back the summer Hawaiian cruises. Didn't the ones on the Regal do well?

We did this trip in January, 2005 and was surprised how cool LA was at that time. Must have been a blip in the weather the day before we left. The ship departed at 5:00 PM and it was quite chilly that evening and the next 2 days before it finally started warming up. At least it was sunny by them. The seas were 5-10 ft crossing the Pacific.

The trip itself was terrific and we really enjoyed the sea days.

I really appreciate all your insights. I am so used to Los Angeles/San Diego weather and knew that Hawaii would be temperate. I had in mind that I would be out in the sun by the pool most of the days going and coming.:eek: I can see that I need to rethink that and rethink my packing.

Wowsa. Good thing I asked you all.;)

I have cruised from LA 4 times so far, once to the MR in November, and 3 times r/t Hawaii in January once and midMarch x2.

EVERY time I have found LA to be damp, cool to chilly and moreso if windy, and definitely needed long pants and a light jacket for LA and the first day or two of the cruise.

I did not know to expect that kind of weather when I did the HI r/t the first time ....... I was of the expectation that southern CA was warm. WRONG!!! I was very uncomfortabley chilly when outside that first time till the onboard shop opened and I could purchase a hoodie!!!

depends where your comming from i guess. i seen brits and the maple leafs , were shorts when im wearing a hat and sweat shirt. we always look at it as like 2 trips the cool bumpy ride part then about 7 days of ahhhhhh nice , its fun :eek:

That's the way I will look at it, then.

I'm from Arizona and it will be 100 today (Fall is here!;)) but go to LA quite often. It is usually warm/comfortable/nice during the day and gets a little chilly at night. It is cooler at the beach, but I will be expecting more of that for a couple of days, at least now.

I have cruised from LA 4 times so far, once to the MR in November, and 3 times r/t Hawaii in January once and midMarch x2.

EVERY time I have found LA to be damp, cool to chilly and moreso if windy, and definitely needed long pants and a light jacket for LA and the first day or two of the cruise.

I did not know to expect that kind of weather when I did the HI r/t the first time ....... I was of the expectation that southern CA was warm. WRONG!!! I was very uncomfortabley chilly when outside that first time till the onboard shop opened and I could purchase a hoodie!!!

:) It IS warm but don't forget that when you are on the coast or on the water, you are feeling the effects of the California Current. For a good part of the year, a marine layer comes in during the afternoon or evening and often doesn't lift until mid-morning the next day. And when it does, you have a gorgeous, warm day even in winter. Plus, we've had two very cool years with temps 5-10 degrees below normal most of the time.

We've done this itinerary twice (2007 & 2009) over Thanksgiving and we are booked again this Thanksgiving. It is our experience that the weather on sailing day (after you are underway) can be foggy and cold. The seas can be rather bouncy (rough) as well the first day or two. The weather the first day at sea will be cool (sweater/jeans) and warm up from there. Basically the same on the way back. I don't know if this will be the same in March but would expect similar.Doug

We have done this twice, and are booked for a 3rd, all in April. I would say Doug is real close.

It will be warm in Hawaii though. I do remember my sister being out at the pool on one of the cruises, but it was too windy to use the balcony for most of the crossing.

Pat

We did this trip in January, 2005 and was surprised how cool LA was at that time. Must have been a blip in the weather the day before we left. The ship departed at 5:00 PM and it was quite chilly that evening and the next 2 days before it finally started warming up. At least it was sunny by them. The seas were 5-10 ft crossing the Pacific.

The trip itself was terrific and we really enjoyed the sea days.

It's amazing how everyone assumes that the LA area is always sunny and warm. We're fortunate not to have icy weather throughout the winter (and after living a couple of years in the midwest during college, I can appreciate this), but most of our rain (when it does fall) comes between November and March. Parts of LA can get a dusting of snow maybe a night or two every five years (even Malibu got some snow one day...and where I live there's sometimes snow early in the morning within a couple of miles as we're in the foothills of a small mountain). The area by the coast tends to be milder both in the winter and in the summer.

It's amazing how everyone assumes that the LA area is always sunny and warm. We're fortunate not to have icy weather throughout the winter (and after living a couple of years in the midwest during college' date=' I can appreciate this), but most of our rain (when it does fall) comes between November and March. Parts of LA can get a dusting of snow maybe a night or two every five years (even Malibu got some snow one day...and where I live there's sometimes snow early in the morning within a couple of miles as we're in the foothills of a small mountain). The area by the coast tends to be milder both in the winter and in the summer.[/quote']So true. Dana Point and Laguna got hail last winter. Really strange. Here on the coast, I'd say that during the winter, highs range from about 60-65; summer between 70-80. Pretty temperate. The closest I get to snow is appreciating the snow-capped mountains 30 miles away. I almost never wear a coat or jacket, even in winter.

Archived