Is there any way to enjoy your cruise, and not gain weight?

Missiowa

I lost 2 pounds in the two weeks leading up to our Legend cruise last week...I weighed myself yesterday and had gained 3 pounds so only a one pound difference to lose :)

I went for a 25 minute run on the elliptical every day and burned roughly 260 calories each session. I'd eat whatever I wanted for breakfast, and a lunch with mainly protein and a small sampling of desserts/carbs. For dinner, I'd eat whatever looked good on the menu (but pasta only as a starter and not main meail since so many carbs), and I'd eat one or two desserts every night at dinner as well.

Midnight snacking...mainly stayed away from it...I hate midnight snacking at home so wasn't a big deal for me while on the cruise.

Plus the alcohol calories ;)

So to answer your question, I'd skip the carbs/calories at lunch and try to use the gym as much as possible.

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

My advice to you if you do not want to gain weight: Stay AWAY from the warm chocolate melting cake lol :D

I like to do laps on the walking track early every morning with my coffee, and I take the stairs ALWAYS to burn extra calories!

Congrats

How did you do it?

Thank you. I first started with nightly walks several times a week. After a few weeks I joined the YMCA and Weight Watchers. I got very connected with what a healthy portion size looked like and what types of foods make up a healthy meal. It has now evolved to me growing nearly half the food we consume on our little urban farm and I have a hard rule about not eating a portion size bigger than my fist. I eat many small meals through the day.. so I am actually looking forward to the all access food on the cruise. It will be a huge change from what I am eating now.. but hey, it's vacation!

I just spoke with a friend who says that there are so many stairs and long long passages to walk one could easily stay active, indulge with meals, drink and not gain too much weight.

Thank you for starting this discussion, OP. I think it's smart to think ahead about how to negotiate food and activity while on our cruise. :)

I find that by looking at people with 3 main courses and buffet piled up to there makes me feel queasy and I end up eating less and craving the spa dishes. I don't make a thing of it but have discovered that the really gross over eating that some people indulge in effects me and I come home having lost a pound or two.

I did not mean to imply that weight training will NOT burn calories, only that it will not burn them as fast (for the average person who is not capble of SUPER intense workouts!) as walking. And who wants to do a SUPER intense workout on a cruise?

I lost 40 pounds last year by walking 20-30 miles per week, sometimes more.

I can walk an average of 17-18 min/mile. In no way could I burn 100 Cal in 17-18 min of weight training, ain't going to happen.

In my much younger days I could do a 15-16 min walking mile, but the conditions have to be just right (not so FRIGGIN hot in FLA!) for me to approach a 16 min mile.

I work real hard before the cruise to take off 10 or 15 pounds. Not that I'm putting all that back on but I won't have to worry about indulging a little (alright maybe a little more than a little). Then always walk and take the stairs. Sea days we always seem to take an afternoon nap which we never do at home. Gives the body a little extra recoup time. I don't get on the scale for a week after the cruise and things are back to normal.

Like others I walk, walk, walk and take the stairs whenever possible - never down and only occasionally up. I eat a healthy breakfast, usually salad at lunch and I do eat whatever I want at supper - usually get the cheese and fruit tray for dessert - I am not a melting chocolate cake person. I have had it maybe once or twice in all my cruises. And I drink lots of water.

Just like anywhere and any time - overeating isn't a requirement. Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself.

You don't have to order multiple entrees at dinner. I don't particularly care for sweets and can rarely finish a dessert. Instead, I often opt for the cheese plate, but I usually just finish the entree and ask my tablemates to excuse me.

I don't add bread with my omelette. I confess that I do tend to eat about 1/2 pound of bacon each morning. I eat more bacon on a cruise than I do the rest of the entire year! :o

For lunch, I stick to a deli sandwich or, if available, the fish & chips. Staying away from buffet lines helps. If it isn't in front of you, you won't ladle a heaping portion onto your plate.

If you want to try various foods, simply take what will only be a couple of bites of each. There is absolutely no need to load your plate with a full portion of every item.

I always, always, always take the stairs. ALWAYS! Book on Riviera or Main, too. People book a cabin just to be close to the buffet and aft dining room. Seriously people?!? :rolleyes:

Take walking tours of the port towns. Swim. Snorkle. Bike ride. Don't sit on a tour bus having someone drive by the sites and point at them!

It is all just common sense. And a little (ok, maybe a lot) of self control, which we all seem to be fairly lacking these days.

I did a 14-day last November on HAL, which had very, very good food. We only had 4 port days in Hawaii, and did island tours every day, so I got very little exercise in port. I think I gained maybe three pounds.

I would climb the stairs from Deck 2 to Deck 9 by the time my cruising mates stood and waited for the elevator and rode it up with all the stops.

It can be done!

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

On my first cruise I lost 8 pounds, hubby gained 8. There is enough walking and exercise that you should be fine. I go on my 6th cruise in December and am diabetic. I saw my doctor last week who told me to spurge but be careful. After all, you are doing something that you can not do anytime you want.

My strategy:

- I always try to lose "pre-cruise" pounds , so I will have some leeway once on the cruise. It is much easier to be " careful " at home , during real life.

- As mentioned before , stairs , stairs , more stairs.....

-I avoid drinking a lot .....I enjoy remembering my vacation...no need for alcohol induced haziness and extra calories!

-I love to eat and enjoy trying new things. Sometimes I´ll pick out a few desserts at the buffet and have a couple of bites of each. No need to eat every last bite.

-I enjoy active shore excursions -swimming , hiking , walking and seeing the sights. In Italy we rode bikes!

- I eat what tastes really great and special...leave rice and bland stuff on my plate unless it is exceptional!

-I exercise regularly at home ( weights and pilates)...no gym for me on vacation.But I always step up more work outs before and after my cruises.

-I don´t weigh myself immediately when I get back...I give myself a week of " normal" life to get back into

These strategies work...I really enjoy my cruise food , but don´t come home with a " heavy " conscience.

Kim

For me personally, a larger ship helps. I lost about 5-10 lbs when we sailed last year on the 7 day Dream. My teenager son gained 10 lbs (unfortunately). When we sailed 9 days on the Elation this year, I gained two pounds and he lost two pounds.

The differences:

1) He quit eating two desserts (ie, melting cakes - yes he was eatting two melting cakes before) no wonder the kid gained weight!

2) No soda card on Elation. He was drinking a lot of soda on Dream. We did carry on some diet, one per day if needed (I drank Diet Root Beer and made floats with the yogurt - people would think I was quite clever)

3) He played a lot of basketball. I did less activities. On the Dream there were afternoon line dance classes to do and not on the Elation so I tended to be more sedetary.

4) He would sleep through breakfast on Elation. Then eat a normal nice lunch and nice dinner.

5) Stairs! I always used the stairs and on the Dream to get from one end of the ship to the other was a lot more.

6) Just being aware can make a big difference. Did you know they put mayo on their grilled cheese? Leave off and one slice of cheese. Maybe split a sandwich and a pizza - then you have had the awesomeness of both foods but less calories from eatting the whole pizza.

7) If it didn't look good or taste great - I didn't eat it. Sometimes the food wasnt the greatest but I'd eat because I didn't want to be wasteful. I learned to take less food and then go get more if I was still hungry -especially at the Lido Lunch because it never is that great.

The last thing I want to do while on any vacation is worry about my weight. I did go to ship's gym a couple mornings, and worked out just because it was there. We also walked a lot, so I don't even think about weight. I concern myself with any weight gain once I return home and back to reality. :D

It sounds like the real question at the heart of this thread is, "Is there any way for me to defy thermodynamics on a cruise by eating a ton of calories of any sort I want, not burn any calories at all, not gain weight/fat, and be totally guilt-free in the process?" The answer to that question is, "No." I am not an overfat person and don't have a radical weight-loss story to share, but I can tell you what I do to control my weight/body composition.

Caveat lector: I am an athlete, and I truly enjoy exercise, in the forms both of lifting weights and of cardiovascular exercise, so you may say, "Easy for him to say," but I practice what I preach, whether I'm cruising or not.

1. Think of food as fuel. Your body needs fuel to do anything (not just exercise), and some fuels are better than others. I am not going to launch into a nutrition lecture, but some foods are obviously good choices for fuel (lean protein, complex carbs) and some are obviously not good (fried anything, molten chocolate cake). If you consume at least a majority of your calories based on what your body needs to function, you will be doing well. I'm not saying you can't eat anything, or you can't eat anything unhealthy; in fact, I think it's better to be realistic about the fact that overeating on a cruise ship is almost unavoidable, given the ubiquity of free food on board. Just think of food overall as a means to allow you to do the things you want to do on your cruise, rather than the reason for living.

2. Exercise. Burn calories somehow! Any kind of exercise forces your body to seek fuel, which reinforces item 1 above -- you actually make yourself hungry for good food. Again, I'm not going to launch into an exercise physiology lecture, but a combination of weight training and cardio (usually weight training, then cardio) is best for burning calories both during and after exercise. Don't discount the effect of weight training for burning calories; weight training tends to build muscle, which takes more calories to maintain, which means a rise in your basal metabolism. Plus, you get a pump from lifting weights, which makes you look better when you go put your bathing suit on and head out onto the pool deck. The psychological effect of the pump is positive, too -- just ask Arnold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drioQ137NhA). And exercise is cumulative; you don't have to exercise for 7 hours at a time to make a difference. Walking up the stairs to the gym from your stateroom, doing a couple of weight training circuits, and then walking the long way around the ship back to your stateroom is a great start to your day, and it doesn't take a tremendous amount of time. Couple that with a few more trips up and down the stairs as you go about your day, and you have made a significant difference in your calorie expenditure without much time investment, especially when you consider that your body is still burning extra calories even after you've stopped exercising.

3. Time your eating and exercise. Basically, don't eat right before bed, and do exercise right when you get up, before you eat anything. Putting food on your stomach right before you go to sleep is the best way to gain fat, and exercising before you eat breakfast is the best way to lose it, because it forces your body to use your fat stores as an energy source, rather than the glycogen you have amassed from the food you've recently eaten. I also find that I eat more healthily over the course of the day when I've exercised in the morning than when I haven't.

Again, I'm not advising not to eat. That is totally unrealistic. I eat a lot anyway, and no one likes to eat more than I do, I promise you (just ask my wife). I don't strive for dietary perfection on the ship at all; I eat some pretty unhealthy foods when I cruise (fried anything, molten chocolate cake). I don't gain significant weight or fat, though, because I follow the above principles. You may find that they help you control your weight and your appetite and make you feel better to boot.

We were on the Glory 5 day cruise last month and I didn't gain any weight. I am doing Weight Watchers and was very careful. Yes, I ate a lot of great food but I exercised every day and did the stairs as much as possible. The MDR has a spa selection every night. I usually had the fruit for an appetizer and I had cappuccino for dessert. The deli makes great sandwiches and I liked the burrito place too. Breakfast was usually fruit, yogurt and toast or cereal. I had a great time and didn't feel deprived at all.

I'm yet another stairs all the time person. On the Dream, from the Riviera Deck to the top of the ship was a heck of a trip. I'm pretty sure I scaled the equivalent of Mt. Everest that week. Add to that a tendency to forget things down in the cabin...

Came out even on my weight, so no problem.

I've heard the avg weight gain on a cruise is something like a pound and a half a day. That's crazy!! On our cruise last year I gained 7 pounds in 7 days! This year, didn't gain a pound. I ate smaller portions on this cruise- never overstuffed myself. We definitely indulged, so I was expecting to gain! We took the stairs a lot, and did a lot of walking around the ships and in port. It's definitely possible to enjoy the food without gaining weight, if you just stay active.

I just stayed in Barcelona for 3 days and then cruised for 12. Gained 2 lbs that I lost quickly when I got home. Ate what I wanted, but stayed very active. Lots of walking on the ship; taking excursions that required walking (Pompeii) and climbing steps (Pisa) and just generally tried to stay as active as possible.

It can be done.:D

• 1 month later...

oops....

I leave on my cruise in two weeks....what I do to keep the weight gain to a minimum while on the cruise is before eating each and every morning I walk to the health club and WEIGH MYSELF ! After which I am aware of how much extra unessesary food I am tempted to consume because weigh in comes the next morning. This has worked for me and I don't gain more than 2 or 3 lbs which comes right off at home.....I also wear a pedometer at all times and at the end of the day I am amazed to see 7 miles.....oh and one more thing.....no rolls whatsoever as I sit waiting for my dinner.:)

I don't own a scale. I have no idea what I currently weigh. I know that before I cruised this last time, I probably didn't lose the few pounds I normally do prior to cruising. And all I usually do to lose that is just add an additional run-up-the-stairs from the ground to the 1st floor per day.

On Glory a couple of weeks ago, my cabin was on Main all the way forward. It is a very, very long way from forward to aft on a ship that size! I probably walked at least 5 miles a day, just going back and forth from cabin to other places. I do not go to the gym.

I took the stairs every single time except on the last sea day when I just couldn't bring myself to climb from Deck 2 to Deck 12!

I ate my made-to-order ham/cheese/mushrooms/tomato omelet every single morning, with a large side of bacon. No bread.

I'd have a 2nd cup of hot tea (2 sugars/milk) mid-morning.

For lunch, it was Fish & Chips every day and 1 or 2 of the ahi tuna/watermelon appetizers. I drank a mixture of ice tea & lemonade during the day. Had a light lunch ashore in Bermuda; the next day I had a turkey sandwich from the deli for lunch. No sides.

I normally do NOT drink beer on cruises because it is too filling, but I had a Thirsty Frog every afternoon.

At 3 pm every day (except that one day in Hamilton), I had a hot dog & fries. Nothing else from the buffet.

At about 6 pm, I'd have sushi.

Late dining at 8:15 - I had the chilled fruit soup every time it was offered; I had a caesar salad a couple of nights; often had the soup and another appetizer; only person at the table that did NOT have a 2nd helping of lobster & shrimp; had the cheese plate one night; ate about half the creme brulee the 1st night; the only other dessert I had was the cappucino pie.

Drank 3 bottles of white wine and various other single glasses.

Obviously, I did not go hungry. I realized a few days after I got home that my work clothes felt a bit loose, so I estimate I lost a couple of pounds on the cruise.

Yes, the food is included in the cost. That doesn't mean you have to eat like a pig all day, every day.

I'm still appalled at the amount of waste I see, food-wise. And people gripe about cutbacks! Well, if people would simply take/order only what they can reasonably eat - and not stuff themselves to the eyeballs at every meal - maybe the cruiselines wouldn't be forced to make cutbacks everywhere!

Just sayin'!

Archived