Is there any way to enjoy your cruise, and not gain weight?

Missiowa

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

I usually gain 5-7 pounds on a cruise. I lucked out on one though and actully lost 3 punds. For some reason, I was on a sea food kick that cruise.

It is vacation and you just have to decide what is worth it to you. If you don't want to work out or watch what you eat then don't. (providing you are in good health) Just be prepared to accept that you will be working hard to lose those extra pounds when you return. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great cruise!

I just went to my first cruise in Aug, I was very glad that I didn't gain any weight, and nobody in our group gain any too:p. Even though it was just a 4 days cruise to Canada, but I did a lot of eating!

I had normal breakfast everyday(which I don't usually eat), lunch with chicken fingers and fries etc., afternoon snacks with fries again, went to tea time on sea days, sushi before dinner, dinner with at least 3 appetizers, full entree, and two scoops of ice cream everynight, plus on average two cocktails per day.

I did a lot of walking though, used the stairs 90% of the times (We were on Deck 1 O_O). We walked around Saint John (our only port) for almost four hours! We did not lay under the sun (no sun for our sailing:() for much. And I think eating early definitely helps too! (we started dinner before 7 everyday)

Yep, use the stairs when you can, and we've found that we avoid the buffet, and eat in the dining room whenever it's open. (Always except the embarkation lunch, and port day lunches). We've found that by eating in the dining room, you're not as prone to "try everything", and just order from the menu instead, thereby avoiding the temptation to have 3 desserts, etc., just because they look GREAT! Yep, you'll probably still gain a little bit of weight, but HEY,,,you're on vacation and you can work it off when you get home. (Just won't have to work as much off,,,,,when you get home.) ;)Have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"

On a few cruise I just watch my portions. Like at dinner I would eat half of everything. My waiter kept asking if the food was fine. Don't think he was use to seeing food still on the plate. :eek:

Even at the buffet I cut down on the portions. I did eat though, more then I would at home. I also did a lot of walking and taking the stairs a lot. So it can be done if you choose to. Sometimes I don't care and eat what I want and other times I decide I'm not going to gain weight. Depends on what my mood is. :cool:

Use the stairs, go to gym and don't just look at it, use it. Eat non sauced lean protein and veggies. Don't drink any juice, alcohol, non diet soda, cream in coffee, etc....

That said, just enjoy yourself and take care of the weight gain when you get home.

Lose a bit of weight before you go, so you can indulge a bit and enjoy the food. We use the gym each a.m., and use the stairs - no elevators. I only at the bread once in the dining room, as opposed to the 2 rolls I used to eat each dinner. (love those sourdough rolls!) I didn't snack between meals - just was too busy to stuff my mouth like I do at home! And I'm not a big dessert eater, so no ice cream at all went down my throat, and only 3 desserts the whole 8 night cruise. (love the diet coconut cake, the bitter n blanc)

On a few cruise I just watch my portions. Like at dinner I would eat half of everything. My waiter kept asking if the food was fine. Don't think he was use to seeing food still on the plate. :eek:

Even at the buffet I cut down on the portions. I did eat though, more then I would at home. I also did a lot of walking and taking the stairs a lot. So it can be done if you choose to. Sometimes I don't care and eat what I want and other times I decide I'm not going to gain weight. Depends on what my mood is. :cool:

I'm with you. I recently lost 11 pounds and it was mostly due to portion control. I don't eat desserts either. When we cruise, I intend to do the same thing as you, eat smaller portions (no need to eat until I'm stuffed). I can still enjoy the things I like but there's no need to overdo it. :eek:

Also, we rarely take elevators on a cruise ship unless we're going up a number of decks. I can walk down any number of flights, but walking up multiple flights is bad for my sciatic nerve. I also try to do brisk walking laps around the ship when I can. So far we've rarely gained weight on any of our cruises.

Check out the Spa selections on the menu at the main dining room. Usually they are the healthiest and lowest calorie (and many times surprisingly tastiest) items.

Other things you can do:

-Stay away from the buffet

-Avoid the elevators

-Pick a daily activity that gets you moving (even if its a morning walk around the ship)

-Limit those "frou-frou" drinks (tasty, but packed with calories)

-No "snacking" on pizza, burgers or other fattening food between meals.

Always use the stairs you would be surprised how many calories you burn. We also do excursions that you have to be active to burn calories. Also try to pick the healthier meals we ate in the dining room every time it was open to stay away from the buffett. I gained about 2 lbs and my fiancee acutally lost weight because she ate alot of salads and fruits.

is this a 7 day cruise? Are you male or female?

My last cruise was a 5 day, and I think I gained 3 pounds...and I exercised in the gym twice, and took stairs instead of elevators (except when I had on high heels for formal night)

I am male and the cruises have all been 7 or 8 days. I do take the staires when it's 3 or 4 decks I'm going.

We walk when we can, I try the things I really want to, but if I don't like it I won't finish it. I never order multiple entrees or dessets. Last time I took Crystal Light with me to drink and it seemed to help me alot. This time I am taking the Crystal Light Margarita mix too.

I jus came off of the Destiny, and my cabin was on the 2 floor.I walked so much that I didn't gain any weight at all!!! the ship is basically a floating cardio monster!!!!! jus walk and take the stairs when you can.And I eat sooo much pizza and ice cream!!!!!

Archived