Is there any way to enjoy your cruise, and not gain weight?

Missiowa

gained 2 lbs, but I walked from stern to front several times a day on my walker, ate lightly (but didn't skip the WCMC), stayed away from cheese, only ate one cookie or saltines at bedtime with meds, lots of fruit with pineapple (good for digestion), & tried to lose a bit of weight pre-cruise.

I use a walker, so gym & stairs are impossible.:(

I don't gain any weight while cruising.

The excursions we do are pretty active (swimming, hiking..etc)...

Only eat when you are hungry and if you see multiple things you want to try,

get sample sizes vs. piling up your plate.

Wife and I have consistently found that we do not gain weight on a cruise.

1. We don't cruise to eat. Attitude pays off.

2. We are more active on cruises, more sedentary at home.

3. We eat in the Dining Rooms, where portion size is controlled by the chef!

Chicken-401.jpg

Suggestions:

* Stay away from the Lido Trough.

* Go ashore and walk around. Don't stay on the ship!

* Avoid potato chips!

Neither the SO or I have gained weight on our cruises, here is how we work it:

* take the stairs

* workout in the gym on sea days

* go for walks around the ship "just because"

* at the buffet lunch eat veggies first and lots of them

* drink water (in addition to whatever else, but always have water)

We both workout several times during the week so we try to keep that schedule. We dont really watch what we eat when we are on vacation, we want to enjoy ourselves. By having veg first we are less likely to over indulge in something fatty but even if we do have too much, its not the end of the world. I like my fried food, I like the pizza, and I love me a DOD...I figure if I pick up a pound or two its not a big deal.

The most I have ever gained on a cruise is 4 lbs and that was on a 12 day. We just returned 2 weeks ago from a 18 day vacation and I gained 2.4 lbs. And that was after a long weekend in Orlando, 5 days at WDW and a 7 day cruise. The 5 days at WDW we walked 10+ miles everyday which I'm sure made me drop a couple of pounds, but on the cruise, we ate less than we typically have in the past. What I've seen some do is not eat bread or pastries, those really add empty calories, skip dessert at lunch and not drink frozen calorie laden drinks every day. A glass of wine or a beer has a heck of a lot less calories than a pina colada.

We also take the stairs a lot. The only times we don't is if we have to climb 7 or 8 decks at one time. I never, ever take an elevator if I'm only going 1 or 2 floors (at sea or on land).

I've struggled with my weight all of my life. I do try and lose a few before the cruise. If I stay away from the ships water ( no, I'm not the one who started the thread about cruise ship water causing retention) I tend to not have pudgy ankles. Don't ask me why this is the case. All that I know is, after a lot of cruises, if I stay away from the ships water, I have no problem. It is the only time during the year that I drink bottled water. I know the drinks and ice are made out of the same water. I can't explain it. I walk a lot at work, but not as much as on a cruise ship. I took a pedometer on the Oasis and it was 8-10 miles per day. That helps to keep the weight down. Also, I just take MUCH smaller portions at the buffet, only enough for a bite or two. I don't feel great if I eat too much and it makes me too sleepy, and I sure don't want to miss anything. There are some great things on this thread and it is so much better than the tipping threads. Haha!!!

I usually gain about 7-10 pounds. Ok, before you wonder how, why???????? At home, I don't use much, if any, salt when I cook. Most of the weight I gain is water weight.

I know this sounds ridiculous because we live in FL, but there is something in the humidity going to the Caribbean that also makes me retain fluids. In the morning, my feet are almost normal size, but by late afternoon my cankles are really bad. I never wear a dress or Capri's to dinner as my cankles are so huge, they are embarrassing.

No matter how much I gain, within a week of getting off the ship, I am back to my normal weight---not that I'm slim and trim, but I have lost all the water. I also take diuretics at home as part of the management of my blood pressure and I take them on the cruise, but I still have the swelling problem.

I usually gain about 7-10 pounds. Ok, before you wonder how, why???????? At home, I don't use much, if any, salt when I cook. Most of the weight I gain is water weight.

I know this sounds ridiculous because we live in FL, but there is something in the humidity going to the Caribbean that also makes me retain fluids. In the morning, my feet are almost normal size, but by late afternoon my cankles are really bad. I never wear a dress or Capri's to dinner as my cankles are so huge, they are embarrassing.

No matter how much I gain, within a week of getting off the ship, I am back to my normal weight---not that I'm slim and trim, but I have lost all the water. I also take diuretics at home as part of the management of my blood pressure and I take them on the cruise, but I still have the swelling problem.

Aren't cruises "Swell?":rolleyes::D;)

Yep, I gained about 5 pounds on our first cruise. I talked to a woman on the cruise who ate only the diet stuff on the menu, but she did have the chocolate melting cake every night. She walked for 1/2 hour every day on the cruise. She lost 8 pounds. I am going to try this later this month and see if it works!

Also, we are spending the week after the cruise at disney World, and I always lose weight there, so hopefully if I do gain anything on the cruise, I can walk it off at Disney. Minimum scenario is coming back the same weight as when I left.

I am also a proponent of using the stairs at all times. Like the previous poster, I use them all the time except for formal night....no exceptions.

I also try to use the stairs except on formal night, my feet usually hurt due to my higher than normal heels. Also I try not to eat any bread and I try to order fish.

I have been taking alot of very valuable information and suggestions from all your posts.......I hope to put them into practice......Using good judgement and self control will make me feel so much better by the end of the cruise and it doesn't mean I will miss out on anything.....walking, stairs ,and let's not forget water, water, water ....and of course the scale....I am obsessed with it!:o

I have had cruises where I have gained.... and cruises where I have actually lost weight!

The most recent cruise, was a wash...... but I did go to the gym twice, made a rule to climb the stairs if we were going anything less than four stories.... and the most effective way I lost weight? I looked at everyone elses overflowing buffet plates and realized that .. well, that used to be ME. It is amazing how I can watch people over-do it now, and it just turns me off.

No more. I eat smaller portions and realize.. just because it is there, doesnt mean I have to have it!

I did induldge in ice cream this year though. Love that machine!

Catrin

I've always been overweight (generally about 40 lbs, but in the past several years about 70), so obviously weight is an issue for me. I gain about 5-7 lbs. on a 7+ days cruise; however, I do employ several strategies:

* I request late seating so that some time before getting ready for dinner, I'm at the gym doing a real workout. I've seen people on the treadmill with sandals... kinda hard to really workout hard.

* I get iced tea with dinner instead of my favorite soda

* I use the stairs except when wearing heels on formal night

* I try to ensure getting some seafood into my diet so that it's not all beef or pasta in cream sauce... my favorites

* I try not to eat ice cream or hamburger and fries in the middle of the day just because it's there

* I increase the amount of fruits I eat, especially since it's all cut up for me

What I should do is lose 5-10 lbs before I get onto the cruise, but if I can't do it for regular life, i can't do it for the cruise. Usually within 2 weeks from the time I return, I lose the weight... but I also realize that it's harder as I get older.

YES! I LOST A POUND ON A WEEK DREAM CRUISE LAST MONTH. FOR REAL.

1. Eat what you want..don't drink a lot of liquor or wine. OR Reverse. We had one bottle of wine with dinner in the Steak House..and that was free because it was the first night of the cruise.

2. I ate. Breakfast..in the Lido most days. Tried to eat protein..like omelets..but did get into the tiny cinnamon rolls..that melted on your tongue. Left full every day.

3.THEN WE PARTICIPATED IN ACTIVIIES.LIKE TRIVIA. WHICH WAS ALWAYS AT THE OTHER END OFTHE BIG SHIP. SO RUN RUN..TO GET TO THE PLAZA OR FUTHER FORWARD.

4. lUNCH..STILL FULL FROM THE PROTEIN FROM BREAKFAST. MAYBE A SLICE OF PIZZA. or BEST BET..the really good Salad bar on the LIDO..I recommend the Ranch and Blue Cheese dressing..Thousand Island..not so good.

5. DINNER.....Order what you want +dessert. One only though. No double entrees. Can't hold themany way.

KEEP A SMALL BOWL OF BANANAS AND ORANGES.ETC..IN YOUR ROOM ( FROM LIDO DESK)..LET THOSE BE THE ONLY SNACKS YOU EAT BETWEEN MEALS.

I ATE WHAT I WANTED...AND LOST A POUND. I PROMISE YOU...I DON'T LOSE WEIGHT EASILY.

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

The very simple answer to this is yes, it is possible to cruise and not gain weight. The longer answer is, there is no magic bullet. You simply have to eat reasonably and exercise. We cruised the Victory a couple of weeks ago and I gained 2 pounds over the week, eating and drinking all I wanted. That 2 pounds was the water I always hold because of the salt in the air. It was gone the day after we got back to Kentucky. As others have noted, I eat reasonable portions, I choose excursions that have us either swimming a lot, walking a lot, or both. On sea days DH and I do go work out in the gym, which for me consists of 3-4 miles on the treadmill at 4MPH, steam room and sauna.

ok, I cruise in a few days and am so excited. I have waited for this for over a year now. I am craving one of those cheeseburgers! Also can't wait to try all the new stuff they we didn't have on our last cruise. Is there any way to enjoy all this and not gain weight? I kind of want to work out, but then again, I am on vacation. Who want to exersize on vacation?

I know there is alot of walking! So..........how much weight do you gain on your average cruise???

Jeepers,just eat in moderation.:rolleyes:

Yes start your main meals with salad or fruit and eat only until you are full. I eat fruit for breakfast and then after eating a salad at lunch I take only a tablespoon size amount of items from the buffet. If something is incredible I'll have a small second serving. If I must have a dessert I split it with my husband and follow the 3 spoonful rule. I only eat when I'm hungry and not because it's there. On ships with the asian grill, I do lunch with lots of veggies, yum. At dinner I eat a salad or broth based soup as a 1st course and then only eat until I'm full and usually just have coffee for dessert. I don't drink much alcohol and only share a dessert on occasion. I also use the stairs and not the elevators. I don't usually gain weight during a cruise.

If I don't gain 5 or 10 lbs. then I didn't have a good time....it is a vacation after all. Lots of good advice though in the earlier replies. If you are worried about your weight just eat your meals as you would at home, take the stairs, and keep active. Don't be like me and drink too much, eat five meals per day, and snack between meals. I'll work it off when I get back home.

Nobody will force you to eat too much. If you want to its OK. The Carnival food is not any different than any other food. The chocolate melting cake has just as many calories at sea as on land. Just keep it in moderation and you will be fine.

LHP...................I am jealous of your losing weight on your cruises! Also jealous of all the cruises you and family have taken.......really tho that is so wonderful ....I love cruising and that is the only vacation that interests me these days.....Have a great time in Hawaii ...we leave in less than 2 wks on EOS for 11 nites.....so excited....funny , no matter how many times you cruise (twice a year so far) the excitement never gets old.....

I generally gain no more than 3 lbs. The reason, I normally do ALL steps, unless it is formal night, and I have heels on. I also walk (if it is possible) from one end of the ship to the other, to get to my destination.

I always go on a cruise expecting to gain a few pounds. I try to drop some before I go, but that works sometimes and other times it doesnt. Anyway, I go on the cruise, and enjoy everything that I want to enjoy. I dont binge, and dont have a huge stomach capacity, but I just have what I want to have, and I try to walk on the walk/jogging track as much as possible, and then when in port, try to walk about, and explore. All being said, I go expecting to gain a few pounds, and usually do. I also tend to drop those extra pounds very quickly once Im home. Just go and enjoy. It is just usually 7 or 8 days, and that will not not ruin your diet in the long term. JMHO.:)

Archived