Questions from a 1st Time HAL Cruiser

regnig

Couple of questions from a 1st time HAL cruiser.

1. What type of bed pillows does HAL provide? Can one ask for extras?

2. What favorite, not to be missed, foods does HAL have? As example on Princess the Fettuccini Alfredo in its parmesan bowl is a favorite of many. Their soufflés are not to be missed and the chicken salad from the International Café is worth the trip down to the Plaza deck while many claim (and I can’t disagree) that their pizza is the best on the open seas. Tell me what we shouldn’t miss on HAL.

Thanks!

1. I think the normally-provided pillows are down filled. I always request fibre-filled, and if they aren't in the cabin on arrival, the steward trades them.

2. Escargot, baked brie, eggs royal (eggs benny with smoked salmon), the Thai basil chicken in the Lido. The sweet and sour shrimp in the MDR if it is offered. The foie gras appetizer.

My cruisin' buddy and I were just discussing what we are looking forward to eating on our upcoming cruise!

Duck breast a l'Orange in the MDR, Spanish Coffee in the Explorer's Lounge, Warm bread pudding and vanilla sauce on the Lido, no-charge hand dipped ice-cream on the lido, fresh squeeze orange juice on the lido at breakfast, lobster mac'n'cheese in the Pinnacle also come to mind, but there were many notable aspects of dining being uniformly good at all venues just depends upon your personal joys!. I understand the Hot Dutch Pea Soup served on chilly days in Alaska and Panama Buns on Canal cruises are also notable for many.

I would also add the PS that I did find the Pizza on the Start Princess to be the best I have had on a cruise - HAL's is passable, but not notable. The Soufflé in the MDR on Princess is also tasty if you like Soufflé which I enjoy, but there are many deserts that rank higher in my book. I don't think you will be disappointed in any of the HAL dining options.

Chocolate croissants:D! Yum! Also enjoy the cinnamon ice cream, lemon and/or coconut mousse, great salad bar, delicious soups - both hot and cold, pasta w/bolognese sauce, the veal milanese in the Canaletto is to die for, as is the pasta ala vodka. So many things, so little time...

Room Service is wonderful. You can order most anything off the MDR breakfast and dinner menues when the MDR is open. So while Eggs Benedict as an example is not on your before bed order card you can write them in for a delivery time that corresponds to MDR time.

The fresh squeezed oj is great. while I am not a Lido fan, their sandwiches and paninis are very good. You can have their offers of the day or ask for a special one:D I always find their lamb and prime rib to be very, very good.:)

If you like violins and string music, HAL has the Adagio strings on every ship. We really enjoy listening to them before or after dinner (or both ;)).

Enjoy the glorious walk around deck and don't forget to explore the ship. There are lots of neat spots that can become 'yours'.

Have a great cruise and don't forget to let us know what you thought when you get back :)

Peanut butter cookies in the lido; my DW couldn't get enough of them and she doesn't ordinarily like them

Sautéed mushrooms and bone-in ribeye in the PG.

Escargot in the MDR.

For fun, and my DS's favorite, the watermelon sorbet pie made to look like a wedge of fresh cut watermelon with seeds made of chocolate.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I've made a list and may just have to refuse to disembark at the end of our 14 days if I've not had a chance to try all your suggestions. We are also thrilled and plan to take advantage of HAL's very generous Room Service offering. Additionally we have plans to eat at Canaletto, hopefully twice during our 14 days, as who doesn't love good Italian food! :D

Now what some may find a silly question but...., how is the breakfast bacon in the Lido? During a cruise is the only time I eat the stuff and always liked the bacon on Princess. It's one of those things you either love or hate and unfortunately I loved it. :eek:

BTW, we do plan on doing a few other things on our cruise beyond eating but one must have their priorities. ;):D

:D

Now what some may find a silly question but...., how is the breakfast bacon in the Lido? During a cruise is the only time I eat the stuff and always liked the bacon on Princess. It's one of those things you either love or hate and unfortunately I loved it. :eek:/quote]

I have found the bacon on HAL cruises to be hit or miss. I like my bacon cooked and crispy, not limpy, somewhat cooked and really fatty as a result of improper cooking. On my last cruise, on the Noordam in Feb/11, the bacon was cooked nice and crisp. I have had it, on prior cruises, where it was limpy. On those cruises, I don't get any and just think - well, I really shouldn't be eating the stuff anyway!

Enjoy your cruise!

:D

Now what some may find a silly question but...., how is the breakfast bacon in the Lido? During a cruise is the only time I eat the stuff and always liked the bacon on Princess. It's one of those things you either love or hate and unfortunately I loved it. :eek:/quote]

I have found the bacon on HAL cruises to be hit or miss. I like my bacon cooked and crispy, not limpy, somewhat cooked and really fatty as a result of improper cooking. On my last cruise, on the Noordam in Feb/11, the bacon was cooked nice and crisp. I have had it, on prior cruises, where it was limpy. On those cruises, I don't get any and just think - well, I really shouldn't be eating the stuff anyway!

Enjoy your cruise!

I alsways ask for my bac in crispy. If it is less cooked, they will put cook it a bit more until it is crispy.

For fun, and my DS's favorite, the watermelon sorbet pie made to look like a wedge of fresh cut watermelon with seeds made of chocolate.

That is DH's favorite too and have only had it on our 1st cruise. Looking forward to see if it is offered on our next one.

Archived