Do you have to wear a jacket on smart casual nights?

forsberg

If they're not enforced, I would much prefer to not pack another jacket in my suitcase since I'm already forced to pack a suit...

From RCI web site:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

In my experience most do not...only see it on Formal nights..thank goodness..So much more comfortable IMO:)

Wear whatever you want to wear. It doesn't matter. RCI dropped the "smart" from smart casual long ago because far too many pax didn't get the concept.

Now anything goes!!! We've seen wife beater shirts..torn , dirty jeans..women in low slung jeans with their t-backs showing..men with jeans hanging to their lower waist with their boxers showing.You can also wear dirty t-shirts..baseball caps..flip flops...pajama bottoms...you name it.

RCI dress code these days seems to be "free for all".;)

I like that!!:)

First off I will admit that I hardly even look at the Compass but is smart casual still listed? Seems I read something a while back about it no longer being listed. This is a question not a statement.

I had to look- Last Dec. 7 day liberty- 2 formal and 5 causal- no smart for the MDR in the compass. But, in very small print under the AR's times it says smart casual is suggested for chops etc.

I had to look- Last Dec. 7 day liberty- 2 formal and 5 causal- no smart for the MDR in the compass. But, in very small print under the AR's times it says smart casual is suggested for chops etc.

Even though smart casual is suggested for Chops, etc., we usually see most men id docker type pants with collared shirts (either polos or regular shirts).

True. I guess I always assume that people are interested in the "intention" of the published dress for each evening and not just what will "get them in the door".

After reading some of the dress code threads, I do feel fortunate that it is not a big deal for the men in my life to put on a shirt and a pair of pants!

I'm going to guess that alot pax don't even read the suggested dress for the evening and just put on whatever they feel like wearing and trot off to the MDR. They won't be turned away so why bother reading anything?

Many cruises have gotten so casual that many men do not wear a jacket/tie on formal nights. There are some cruise lines that are dressier - but most are adjusting to the luggage limits on the airlines. So the 'rules' for dress are very relaxed - unless you do Cunard in one of the 'Grills'.

Let's talk Formal Nights: Do any men just wear a golf shirt, sports coat, and dress pants?

Men wear tuxes, suits, sports jackets, dress shirts with ties, shirts, polos, jeans, khakis, tee shirts etc on formal night.

Bottom line, anything goes, well maybe beaters and shorts are a no-no.;)

We try to tell our server that we'll skip the MDR on formal night, since I can't get DH to pack a suit. We've been told, "No, no, you must come on formal night! What you are wearing is fine." So on "casual" nights, it's black Dockers and a pressed button-down shirt for DH (and dress shoes) and black capris, black sandals and a nice top for me.

I'm still uncomfortable in the MDR on formal night dressed like that, but, frankly, I've seen worse.

Enjoy your cruise! Please just don't wear a ball cap and ripped jeans in the MDR. That does burn my butt!! :D

The discussions about dressing on this board seem to follow the same route as on other cruise lines but I'm getting the distinct impression that RCCL is a little more lenient about it than Princess lately.

I know what people were wearing a few years back on RCCL and it appears that things have become even less restrictive compared to past times. Can anyone here who's familiar with both Princess and RCCL tell me if they feel RCCL is more or less restrictive about the dress code on formal nights than Princess?

Don't just quote me the printed dress suggestions from the web site as I can read that for myself. I want an honest opinion as to the actuality of the DR from someone who knows both cruise lines.

IMHO, it's your vacation, dress how you want! If you hate to dress up, don't. I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room.

We do dress for the formal nights because we like to but I really don't understand why people care what others are wearing!

It's vacation....I'm just thrilled to be on the big boat.

IMHO, it's your vacation, dress how you want! If you hate to dress up, don't. I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room.

We do dress for the formal nights because we like to but I really don't understand why people care what others are wearing!

It's vacation....I'm just thrilled to be on the big boat.

First of all, just to clarify, I don't care in the least what someone else wears. However, it is my opinion that people should dress as requested. As far as understanding why people feel this way, I suspect it is related to how they were brought up. Personally, I was brought up to dress as requested or don't go. It is how I raised my children. I was taught that you abide by the requested dress out of repect for the host and/or other guests.

I understand that others were not raised the same way and I respect that. I think a polite guest dresses as requested but I also think a polite dress does not judge or criticize those that do not.

The discussions about dressing on this board seem to follow the same route as on other cruise lines but I'm getting the distinct impression that RCCL is a little more lenient about it than Princess lately.

I know what people were wearing a few years back on RCCL and it appears that things have become even less restrictive compared to past times. Can anyone here who's familiar with both Princess and RCCL tell me if they feel RCCL is more or less restrictive about the dress code on formal nights than Princess?

Don't just quote me the printed dress suggestions from the web site as I can read that for myself. I want an honest opinion as to the actuality of the DR from someone who knows both cruise lines.

RCI is much less restrictive. Just about anything goes on RCI, these days.

RCI is much less restrictive. Just about anything goes on RCI, these days.

It's getting that way on Princess also but maybe not as unrestricted as RCI. Not that I want to go to extremes but I dislike the suit & tie option & would rather just throw on a pair of dress pants & a dress shirt (no tie) & be comfortable on a formal night and it appears that from some of the posters, it's possible.

Archived