Upgrades?

laryrob

We are long time Regent cruisers and are going on our first Seabourn cruise around South America this November. On Regent we were always offered an upgrade to A PH or Horizon view suite about 14 days before sailing at a fairly reduced price-as were other people. Has anyone had the same experience on Seabourn? Does anyone kow if there is such a program on Seabourn?

sorry to say but upgrades on seabourn were a complete random during the past.:mad:

regulars had to stay in the booked degree , latesavers did receive - very frequently - up to 4 degrees upgrade.

And I have been told that on at least one occasion, a free upgrades to one of the best suites happened to cruise critic contributor So don't despair, it could happen to you :)

From our own experience, if you book a specific suite you are not at all likely to be upgraded; if you book a 'guarantee' you quite probably will - but do not expect to be, and sometimes you will not find out what suite you are in until you arrive on the ship. If there are suites you wish to avoid, choose one and pay a little more - or quite a lot more than if you risk booking late. Late booking does have problems with getting flights sometimes, at least from the UK to the Med.

And I have been told that on at least one occasion, a free upgrades to one of the best suites happened to cruise critic contributor So don't despair, it could happen to you :)

Gee, I didn't know being a cruise critic member meant so much! :p

• 3 weeks later...
Am I correct in thinking that apart from position on the ship (and metal vs glass balcony balustrades V1&2 vs the rest) there is no difference between the Verandah suites on the three big sisters?

You are correct in your thinking, they are the same apart from the "Wheelchair Friendly" ones they do not have a bath but a walkin shower and no dressing room they have a wardrobe in the suite as they are slightly wider.

One should never hope for or anticipate an upgrade. If you don't get it you board the ship with a resentment that many affect your entire cruise.

Exactly! Book what you are happy with and treat an upgrade as a pleasant surprise. Many 'upgrades' are pretty notional in any case, with cabins identical, just position and deck determining the 'grade'.....In nearly 20 cruises I've had one 'wow' upgrade (Britannia to Princess Grill on Queen Victoria) and more than a few 'spot the difference' ones....Mind you, I do know someone who went from Mauretania to Queens Grill on QE2...but the airline lost her luggage! Who says the gods don't have a sense of humour....

Exactly! Book what you are happy with and treat an upgrade as a pleasant surprise. Many 'upgrades' are pretty notional in any case, with cabins identical, just position and deck determining the 'grade'.....In nearly 20 cruises I've had one 'wow' upgrade (Britannia to Princess Grill on Queen Victoria) and more than a few 'spot the difference' ones....Mind you, I do know someone who went from Mauretania to Queens Grill on QE2...but the airline lost her luggage! Who says the gods don't have a sense of humour....

Well then in that case we are booked in a CAT OS (Run of the ship) which means anything we get will be better than paying FULL price for a CAT A!;)

I had posted earlier about our upgrade but thought I'd post more details. Maybe someone can figure out if this was just a random upgrade or if there is some pattern...

In late March my partner and I had decided on the October 3 7-day cruise from Istanbul to Athens. Since this was my first time on a cruise ship I didn't realize there was such a thing as a guaranty so I went ahead and booked a V2. V1s were completely sold out and the only V2 left was 745. After doing a search on the forum and talking to some friends we decided that the smaller room was offset with the prime location.

Bill was paid in July and fast forward to about a week before we were to fly to Istanbul when I received a call from my travel agent telling me that Seabourn had offered a free upgrade to the adjoining Wintergarden Suite (744). She told me that she couldn't get a hold of me so she accepted the offer for me. "Was that okay?" .... Um... let me think about that for a second...

My partner and I spent the next week wondering what was going on. We thought of all the possibilities. Maybe they screwed up and were going to put us back in the original suite when we boarded. Maybe the TA was mistaken and it wasn't a FREE upgrade and we were about to be hit with a several thousand dollar bill... Nope. Everything worked out exactly as expected. We moved into the Wintergarden Suite for a wonderful week long cruise and I may be spoiled for cruising forever...

Some craziness from the suite. There's a covered sun-room that is like a second veranda. In it is a day bed and an extra bath tub. Full glass windows so that you can have a soak while looking at the Ocean. A two person jacuzzi and a full sized shower in the bathroom. The shower is in the middle and enclosed by a spiral piece of clear plastic. When we were about to leave the suite the first night we turned off all the lights and accidentally hit another switch in the bathroom. Above the jacuzzi are fiber optic LED lights that twinkle. If anyone is interested and can tell me how to attach pictures I'd be more than happy to share some pictures of the suite.

Best luck to everyone in getting this upgrade. It was fantastic!

-Jeff

I had posted earlier about our upgrade but thought I'd post more details. Maybe someone can figure out if this was just a random upgrade or if there is some pattern...

In late March my partner and I had decided on the October 3 7-day cruise from Istanbul to Athens. Since this was my first time on a cruise ship I didn't realize there was such a thing as a guaranty so I went ahead and booked a V2. V1s were completely sold out and the only V2 left was 745. After doing a search on the forum and talking to some friends we decided that the smaller room was offset with the prime location.

Bill was paid in July and fast forward to about a week before we were to fly to Istanbul when I received a call from my travel agent telling me that Seabourn had offered a free upgrade to the adjoining Wintergarden Suite (744). She told me that she couldn't get a hold of me so she accepted the offer for me. "Was that okay?" .... Um... let me think about that for a second...

My partner and I spent the next week wondering what was going on. We thought of all the possibilities. Maybe they screwed up and were going to put us back in the original suite when we boarded. Maybe the TA was mistaken and it wasn't a FREE upgrade and we were about to be hit with a several thousand dollar bill... Nope. Everything worked out exactly as expected. We moved into the Wintergarden Suite for a wonderful week long cruise and I may be spoiled for cruising forever...

Some craziness from the suite. There's a covered sun-room that is like a second veranda. In it is a day bed and an extra bath tub. Full glass windows so that you can have a soak while looking at the Ocean. A two person jacuzzi and a full sized shower in the bathroom. The shower is in the middle and enclosed by a spiral piece of clear plastic. When we were about to leave the suite the first night we turned off all the lights and accidentally hit another switch in the bathroom. Above the jacuzzi are fiber optic LED lights that twinkle. If anyone is interested and can tell me how to attach pictures I'd be more than happy to share some pictures of the suite.

-Jeff

....very nice upgrade!;)

-Jeff

Thanks for sharing this. Apart from the Upgrade Fairy liking you, there could be a number of explanations. For example if the WS had not been sold a week before the cruise or there had been a last minute cancellation, Seabourn would have a better chance of selling a verandah suite than the WS. Especially if there was a waitlist for VS. On the basis that you had elected for an verandah suite next to the WS, you were likely not to object to moving just a few feet. It would be nugatory to speculate about other scenarios, rather let us celebrate your good fortune.

However, if it happens again .......!

And congratulations.

Nugatory

Now there is a word one does not come across very often. In fact, the last time for me was probably in 1985, and that was in a paper written in the early 1970s.

And the Oscar for best example of erudition in a supporting role goes to......[fumbles envelope].....MARIANH!

Nugatory

Now there is a word one does not come across very often. In fact, the last time for me was probably in 1985, and that was in a paper written in the early 1970s.

And the Oscar for best example of erudition in a supporting role goes to......[fumbles envelope].....MARIANH!

Aaaah - the seventies!

:o

Archived