Don't try to hide liquor on the Sun!!!!!!

asaberan

It's the ship's rule and people are either going to abide by it or not but I'm not sure I want the screeners distracted from their more important job looking for a couple bottles of liquor.
No one has claimed that the screeners are distracted from looking for other contraband. Alcohol is just another thing that's screened for.

No one has claimed that the screeners are distracted from looking for other contraband. Alcohol is just another thing that's screened for.

Common sense would tell you it is a distraction. The more things the human mind or eye has to focus on, the more likely something will be missed.

A screener spots a bottle - mental "check, got it", and moves on. Not intentionally, but unconsciously.

Personally, as a matter of safety, I don't think screeners should look for anything other than weapons.

Common sense would tell you it is a distraction. The more things the human mind or eye has to focus on, the more likely something will be missed.

A screener spots a bottle - mental "check, got it", and moves on. Not intentionally, but unconsciously.

Personally, as a matter of safety, I don't think screeners should look for anything other than weapons.

I think you underestimate the professionalism of the security screeners aboard any of the ships.

"Common Sense" would tell you that since you haven't performed their job nor received their training that you should not assume that they are distracted by a liquor bottle. Do you honestly believe that in today's world a cruiseline security staff would risk the lives of thousands of passengers simply because they were "distracted" by liquor bottles?

The security staff aboard all the NCL ships I have been on were extremely professional and diligient. I count on them to not only find smuggled alcohol, for which none of us really care, but to possibly find dangerous and prohibited items like weapons and explosives. I would not sail on any line that doesn't do due diligience to screening bags.

Sorry to disagree, but it works just the opposite. I've spent many years screening (not for the cruise lines) and I can assure you that the first item you find in a bag only enhances your search. "Mental - check, found something - there's probably more".

Don't assume that these people aren't sharp, or that they're overlooking secondary searches. People who do these types of jobs are well-trained, and rather vigilant. :)

I'm all for a person being allowed to bring on board a modest amount of liquor for consumption in his room. That said, how does a screener know that the bottle contains booze? What better weapon on a crowded cruise ship than a flamable, explosive, or toxic liquid?

This is how I feel too. We are led to believe ... it might even say ... that we are waiting on line, removing our backpacks, emptying our pockts, etc. for a security screening. I don't know, something about it being used to find liquor as well bothers me.

I'm not quire how we should feel about the, obviously unscientific, incomplete, and unverified, comments on these boards that indicate they find/confinscate the liquor only about half of the time.

I'm not quire how we should feel about the, obviously unscientific, incomplete, and unverified, comments on these boards that indicate they find/confinscate the liquor only about half of the time.

I don't even think it is half the time. I think they see what might be booze but depending on how busy they are or how much they let it pass. Red tag just enough to make it a deterent.

I can tell you when we boarded the Dawn and they were 4 hours late starting they let everything thru :rolleyes: They even dropped my Poland Goose on the ground and picked it up for me and put it back in the bag to keep things moving

Try an experiment - check 4 bags, 4 bottles and see how many make it to your cabin :D

Gee...I guess I have no common sense. :rolleyes: However, I would contend, as others have, that you're off the mark and common sense should tell you that security screeners are trained individuals that aren't distracted by shiny objects like babies. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I think the outline of a gun and a bottle are different and a security screener would be able to pick out both.
I guess I care more about my safety than you do. I want the security screeners to be on the lookout for ANYTHING that would raise a warning. I want screeners looking for an overabundance of drugs that may be a trafficker. I want screeners looking for animals that may carry diseases. I want screeners looking for everything. I'd rather they not pick and choose what dangerous or illegal items they look for.
This is how I feel too. We are led to believe ... it might even say ... that we are waiting on line, removing our backpacks, emptying our pockts, etc. for a security screening. I don't know, something about it being used to find liquor as well bothers me.
I'm a little bothered by people that don't want a security screen. I wonder what those people are hiding in their bags.
Maybe under the common sense plan the security screeners can only focus on one thing per bag and that's why they miss some of the alcohol? Or maybe, they only tag those bags that look to have several bottles and they let one or two bottles slide to save time and avoid a confrontation by a disgruntled passenger?

• 6 years later...

I am new to this group but have been on a number of cruises. We put a bottle of rum inside a large bottle of Listerine and it went thru our luggage no issues. We also emptied out 3 20 oz. bottles of water and refilled them with rum/vodka because it looks like water and carried them onto the ship like we were just brining on water we had been drinking. 3 - 20 oz. bottles will hold a half gallon of rum/vodka. Ended up giving a couple of the full "water" bottles to the drum player of one of the bands on board the last night - let him enjoy them rather than throwing them out.

I was on the Dawn and they took my wine and I got it back the morning we got back into NYC.

Wow, that is odd. They specifically allow wine to be brought onboard as long as the passenger pays a consumption fee. They didn't even ask if you wanted to do that? Boo.

beachchick

Well not exactly Cecelia.....What I would like is if they are going to enforce one rule, then enforce all of them. Don't be lax with the dress code and confiscste liquor......or vice versa for that matter. Both of the rules are theirs and they should enforce both of them or not have them.....simple as that.

M.

Shall we put in the chair hog rule too while we're at it? Might as well have some real fun with this thread. ;)

Wow, that is odd. They specifically allow wine to be brought onboard as long as the passenger pays a consumption fee. They didn't even ask if you wanted to do that? Boo.

beachchick

This thread is from 8 years ago... the rules have changed since then

This thread is from 8 years ago... the rules have changed since then

(beachchick smacks self upside the head, figuratively at least...) I am usually pretty good about checking dates. Oh well.

Do you know when the rules changed? Our first NCL cruise was in 2006 and the consumption fee was firmly in place and had been for a while at least.

beachchick

On my 6th cruise, the Xray machine sent me to the naughty room for all smugglers.

I was only packing my Diet coke.

After waiting in line with all the others, I got it back, but it was interesting to hear all the stories of the others in line.

Many had some of their bags with liquor make it through, just that one was caught.

I think your above post, "let us bring a few bottles" is the reason that cruiselines have allowed no liquor. I have been sailing for many years, and in the "old days" one could bring a bottle of liquor for a person or two for two etc. There were many people who took advantage of that by bringing their own drinks (already made up) to the pool, dining room etc. So now, we are all penalized for those who took advantage of the situation. I like having a drink in my cabin while getting dressed for dinner. I will not resort to putting liquor into coke bottles etc. The cruiselines are going to realize that's what's being done. I also am one for saving money on a cruise, so I might choose to not drink or to have a drink that's on special. I guess I don't understand why people try to "sneak" liquor on board and then post on here how they got away with it. If I were to do that, I sure wouldn't post in an open forum so the world knows how I did it. What do you think the odds are that you will be able to continue doing so or is this the only cruise you were on/planning to go on. It makes no sense to me, but that's MHO.

Katie

I agree with you. I dont see the need to sneak liquor on board. I realize its an extra expense but the amount you spend is compeletely within your control. This is just my opinion of course but I believe in following the rules.

Archived