George Lopez on Carnival

zonacruiser25

just got through the last seven pages of comments - i'm completely shocked by the mixed response to these changes. I guess it goes to show how resistant people are to change, even change that is in a really positive direction as these are.

Big picture: Rccl just got kicked in the teeth. They've been able to command premium pricing over carnival because rccl has already done many of these enhancements on their newer ships. Now they have company, as carnival is making a real effort to catch up with their onboard offerings. You'll see price competition as a result. If i saw correctly, i think rccl just launched a sale today. Hmm...

When you think about it, nothing is being taken away from current customers as a result of these changes. If none of them strike your fancy, you don't have to use them. It's not as if they're eliminating places on board to make room for these new options. I get that not everyone likes the ideas.

I'm having to work hard to find the flaws in what carnival did here. For everyone who thinks these changes means carnival will have to raise prices, i wouldn't be so sure. This is a capital expenditure just like building a new ship or doing ongoing maintenance on current ships in the fleet. 500 million sounds like a lot to us, but it's not that big of a deal for ccl. For the price of building a new ship, they can make these changes on 15 ships instead. Given they have plenty of capacity right now, it's a better business decision for them to improve the quality of their onboard experience than to just build another ship on top of what they already have. Maybe prices go up in the long term, but that was going to happen anyways. Prices are low right now given too many ships and not enough demand, and eventually that was going to be brought back into balance.

Consider each change on its own merits:

Fieri's burger bar - it's free. Johnny rockets on rccl has a charge. Right now, i can get a decent basic burger on the lido deck and okay fries. At the new place, i get a customized premium burger with good condiments and cheeses, along with better fries. Did i mention it's free?

Ea sports bar - i'm a sports nut and a craft beer drinker. Carnival just told me they're going to create a space with a giant tv board that can be split into 16 panels, or used for just one big game. The bar will have a wider beer selection than what they have now. And it will include ea sports arcade games for those who wish to play. Awesome. I want it next week when i'm on the valor. Too bad it's not there yet.

George lopez - i'm with many of you, not a huge fan of lopez. Still, i recognize he has a following and knows the ropes of live comedy including up and coming talent. I enjoy live comedy, and now i find out they have someone dedicated to finding new comics for the fleet and improving the comedy club experience. Last time i checked, comedy at my local improv costs $15 a person with a two drink minimum. If the club is good, and i go a few times over the week? Big savings, big benefit for people that love live comedy.

Dj irie - i don't know who this dj is. I do know that a lot of the music on board is just okay. I know that i saw many nights on my cruise this summer where the nightclub was empty from 11 pm - 1am. For people that are into the nightclub, this sounds great. In addition, it sounds like they'll be working with him to improve stage shows and create some fun shows using modern music. I'd give that a try.

Red frog bar - i was on the magic this summer. Beer is great, rum selection and drinks were good. The space was probably too big and the food wasn't a good fit. They're keeping the best part of the idea, moving it to the pool area, and taking away what didn't work. Good move.

Blue iguana bar and cantina - someone earlier was complaining about the quality of carnival's mexican food options and using that as a reason for why this is a bad idea. Huh? That's exactly why you do this! The mexican food on the lido is nothing better than okay. Coming from arizona, i get to eat great mexican whenever i want it. Improve the offerings, give it to me for free, expand the tequila selection, and serve by the pool? I can't see a downside to this.

Hasbro game shows - i think kareoke and the newlywed game are proof positive that we all like to watch people get on stage and look like fools for our entertainment. Let's not lie about it - these kind of things are fun! If i'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like a game show during the day with people/families doing contests and challenges. Don't know if it will be great, but on a lazy day at sea, i'd take a look. Better than having the showroom empty with nothing going on.

Wine machine in library - wine and books go together. The people who want to get hammered and party aren't sampling wine in the library. I'm guessing it won't change the peaceful environment at all, and it's a nice touch. Good way to get a glass of wine you haven't had before, or try a couple samples without wasting your time on a wine tasting you have to pay for.

Alchemy bar - there's been a big trend lately towards creative cocktails and putting a spin on classic drinks. I'm the type to buy a bottle or two from bon voyage and mix up a drink in my room, because i don't like the super-sweet frozen drinks at $10 a pop. I would be willing to spend $10 for a cool setting with a custom-made manhattan or martini. Sure, it's not for everyone, but i'm sure this place will do well and fill a niche in their bar lineup.

So there you have it. Nine changes. All of them well considered and appealing to carnival's target demographic, which is a little younger than other lines and looking to have a lot of fun on their vacation. This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and i promise all of you that i won't be alone.

Great work, carnival!

like! :).

This thread is funny. I don't like Lopez so I am switching lines (even though I don't have to go to the Comedy Club to see him perform). I don't like Lopez so I don't want to see any of the comedians that Lopez gets to perform and am going to switch lines (even though I don't have to go to the Comedy Club to see them).

Faux rage from the haters. Hopefully they don't sail Carnival.

And name calling begins...

How about some facts.

Is this the same George Lopez that just made a racist joke about presidential candidate Hermain Cain? You know that one... "The Republicans do know that he's darker than Barack Obama...but whiter on the inside." http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2011/10/03/george-lopez-cain-darker-obama-whiter-inside

Or this George Lopez who chimed in on the Arizona immigration law via Twitter , writing that he "went to buy a Arizona Iced Tea- they asked me for my documentation. So I bought HORCHATA instead!?"

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/entertainment/celebrity/Lopez-Stirs-Up-AriZona-controversy--92448889.html

So George Lopez famous for his political views will now be responsible for hiring comedians for the whole Carnival fleet? Does it mean that by hiring George Lopez Carnival supports his views?

Good luck with this one.

A $500 million makeover and all the talk is about George Lopez and fancy burgers. Sigh. For a long time I've been hoping for 2 measly things from Carnival - which, cost practically nothing. A decent beer and ONE lounge that is smoke free.

I guess that is just TOO much to ask for.

I think George Lopez is very funny. His sitcom was Ok for your average network sitcom. Never did see his talk show. But his HBO specials were very funny.

Maybe Lopez will appear on a few ships maybe not. It might just be apromotional thing just using his name .

Years back Rodney Dangerfield used to host a lot of Young Comedian specials on HBO. Rodney would do the intros and a few bits as a draw , but the main focus was on a group of young up and coming stand ups . An unknown Jerry Seinfeld and Sasm Kinison were among them

Just for the record, I wasn't angry, or livid about the changes... I simply was commenting on what I thought, as a critic.... At least Carnival is trying, and if someone is trying, then I have to support that effort, even tho I don't agree with it all 100%, or even 70% okay ?

I love Carnival Corp.!

Carnival needed a make over... Feature wise their ship are so far behind NCL and now Disney they have a hard time competing in the same market. Price is the only factor.

Disney appears to be the leader in the areas they compete.

Take a Carnival and deal with loud kids and drunk teenagers.

Sound like Im down on Carnival?

You guessed it. :cool:

Carnival needed a make over... Feature wise their ship are so far behind NCL and now Disney they have a hard time competing in the same market. Price is the only factor.

Please state the source for your information.

I think these additions sound great. Will I use all of them, no, but I am all about having options. The buffets have gotten sooo busy, maybe some of these options will help alleviate at least a little of that.

Are there other things I would have liked to have seen changed, yes, but none of these changes sounds like a bad thing to me.

Now if they would just get better music acts and piano players and I would be very happy.

Sound more like you are a bit misinformed. Carnival and Disney really aren't competing in the same markets. Carnival seems to be competing very well with NCL.

As for loud and drunk teenagers, I haven't seen it on Carnival. I have seen some 20 somethings drink a bit too much at ports. But it's the exception and not the rule.

• 2 weeks later...
So you'll go to another line where YOU pay more and no one gets a free burger or taco......?....... :confused:

Hence the beauty of a free market economy - the consumer has a CHOICE! Those who enjoy wall to wall passengers with mediocre food can cruise on the less expensive per person giant ships and those who enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere with better food have the freedom to cruise on the luxury lines smaller ships offering more personal service.

I cruise with Carnival because it is what I can afford at this point in life, I pick off-season so I don't have to deal with quite so many children and what they serve to eat is rarely the focal point of my vacations. Some day maybe I'll have the privilege of sailing the luxury lines and till then, I'll enjoy the aspects of cruising that I like and not worry about the ones that I don't! My mantra - I'm on vacation - for this seven days - somebody else has to worry about the details!:D

I am hoping to see and meet George Lopez again in my life. I met him many years ago. I plan to cruise on a ship where he plans to cruise on.

This is very exciting news for me. I can hardly wait to see him again.

I think the deal with George is that he will also get the audience to participate as comedians. I like that idea a lot. I love to make people laugh. Lucy

• 3 months later...
Johnny Garlic's is here in my town...along with his Tex Wasabi Sushi and BBQ.

I hope the food on the ship is better than either of his brick n mortar places.....they are both mediocre.

I agree completely. There is a tex wasabi very close to us and it's terrible, feels like the kind of restaurant conceived in a corporate board room, which is exactly what it is. Barbecue and sushi have no business being in the same building, and you know the barbecue will be lousy and the sushi won't be fresh, and prices will be high, and that is how it is. And yet, people wait for an hour for a table. Whatever, America. I'll pass.

Visiting it was such a disappointment because on the TV show he visits great places that I would visit any day of the week.

I don't usually enjoy branded chain restaurants generally, so I don't know how it would be much different with Guy Fieri as the brand. I'm not optimistic. If he could somehow give it a diner/divey flavor, that would be great, but it would necessarily be contrived - after all, it's a carnival cruise and the restaurant was (or will be) built in 2012 - and I'm fairly certain it will feel that way.

Archived