George Lopez on Carnival

zonacruiser25

Yes according to George Lopez he will perform in the Carnival comedy clubs and also select the comedians for CCL

Maybe he will change some of the comedians that are on the ships now. I can think of a few.

As long as he doesn't mess with my favorite comedian, Lance Montalto, (on the 3 nighters, LA-Ensenada run) I'll be a happy cruiser.

I like him too. But after the 3rd time hearing him do the same jokes, he isn't funny anymore. Same with Seth. If they are the comedians, I don't go to the shows.

If he's on a ship, I will avoid that one. Did they actually say he was going to be on a ship?

But if he just shows up on your cruise w/o any advance notice, will you leave the ship?:rolleyes::D

The hamburgers sound like a good idea. Hopefully you can order them w/o cheese.

I don't know about the Mexican food. For a cruise line that goes to Mexico, the Mexican food has a lot to be desired. The only time I got food poisoning on a ship, was when ate at the late night Mexican buffet. I might overcome my fear and try the Burrito bar on the Splendor.

Get ready, Get set.... Let the bashing begin!:(

I don't disagree with ya.

And $500 Million later, they still haven't figured out how to serve a hot breakfast via Room Service. Now that would have been exciting news.

Although, I am Guy Fieri fan and will be trying one of his burger creations if I sail Carnival again.

Oh my! Sounds like there would be complaints if the ice cream is cold. Too bad so many need to see the glass half empty. I applaud Carnival for wanting to improve their product. I see more choices as a good thing. I am sure that a Windjammer cruise would have less of these options, maybe that would be a great alternative for some.

Just got through the last seven pages of comments - I'm completely shocked by the mixed response to these changes. I guess it goes to show how resistant people are to change, even change that is in a really positive direction as these are.

Big picture: RCCL just got kicked in the teeth. They've been able to command premium pricing over Carnival because RCCL has already done many of these enhancements on their newer ships. Now they have company, as Carnival is making a real effort to catch up with their onboard offerings. You'll see price competition as a result. If I saw correctly, I think RCCL just launched a sale today. Hmm...

When you think about it, nothing is being taken away from current customers as a result of these changes. If none of them strike your fancy, you don't have to use them. It's not as if they're eliminating places on board to make room for these new options. I get that not everyone likes the ideas.

I'm having to work hard to find the flaws in what Carnival did here. For everyone who thinks these changes means Carnival will have to raise prices, I wouldn't be so sure. This is a capital expenditure just like building a new ship or doing ongoing maintenance on current ships in the fleet. 500 million sounds like a lot to us, but it's not that big of a deal for CCL. For the price of building a new ship, they can make these changes on 15 ships instead. Given they have plenty of capacity right now, it's a better business decision for them to improve the quality of their onboard experience than to just build another ship on top of what they already have. Maybe prices go up in the long term, but that was going to happen anyways. Prices are low right now given too many ships and not enough demand, and eventually that was going to be brought back into balance.

Consider each change on its own merits:

FIERI'S BURGER BAR - It's free. Johnny Rockets on RCCL has a charge. Right now, I can get a decent basic burger on the Lido deck and okay fries. At the new place, I get a customized premium burger with good condiments and cheeses, along with better fries. Did I mention it's free?

EA SPORTS BAR - I'm a sports nut and a craft beer drinker. Carnival just told me they're going to create a space with a giant TV board that can be split into 16 panels, or used for just one big game. The bar will have a wider beer selection than what they have now. And it will include EA Sports arcade games for those who wish to play. Awesome. I want it next week when I'm on the Valor. Too bad it's not there yet.

GEORGE LOPEZ - I'm with many of you, not a huge fan of Lopez. Still, I recognize he has a following and knows the ropes of live comedy including up and coming talent. I enjoy live comedy, and now I find out they have someone dedicated to finding new comics for the fleet and improving the comedy club experience. Last time I checked, comedy at my local Improv costs $15 a person with a two drink minimum. If the club is good, and I go a few times over the week? Big savings, big benefit for people that love live comedy.

DJ IRIE - I don't know who this DJ is. I do know that a lot of the music on board is just okay. I know that I saw many nights on my cruise this summer where the nightclub was empty from 11 PM - 1AM. For people that are into the nightclub, this sounds great. In addition, it sounds like they'll be working with him to improve stage shows and create some fun shows using modern music. I'd give that a try.

RED FROG BAR - I was on the Magic this summer. Beer is great, rum selection and drinks were good. The space was probably too big and the food wasn't a good fit. They're keeping the best part of the idea, moving it to the pool area, and taking away what didn't work. Good move.

BLUE IGUANA BAR AND CANTINA - Someone earlier was complaining about the quality of Carnival's Mexican food options and using that as a reason for why this is a bad idea. Huh? That's exactly why you do this! The Mexican food on the Lido is nothing better than okay. Coming from Arizona, I get to eat great Mexican whenever I want it. Improve the offerings, give it to me for free, expand the tequila selection, and serve by the pool? I can't see a downside to this.

HASBRO GAME SHOWS - I think kareoke and the newlywed game are proof positive that we all like to watch people get on stage and look like fools for our entertainment. Let's not lie about it - these kind of things are fun! If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like a game show during the day with people/families doing contests and challenges. Don't know if it will be great, but on a lazy day at sea, I'd take a look. Better than having the showroom empty with nothing going on.

WINE MACHINE IN LIBRARY - Wine and books go together. The people who want to get hammered and party aren't sampling wine in the library. I'm guessing it won't change the peaceful environment at all, and it's a nice touch. Good way to get a glass of wine you haven't had before, or try a couple samples without wasting your time on a wine tasting you have to pay for.

ALCHEMY BAR - There's been a big trend lately towards creative cocktails and putting a spin on classic drinks. I'm the type to buy a bottle or two from Bon Voyage and mix up a drink in my room, because I don't like the super-sweet frozen drinks at $10 a pop. I would be willing to spend $10 for a cool setting with a custom-made Manhattan or martini. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I'm sure this place will do well and fill a niche in their bar lineup.

So there you have it. Nine changes. All of them well considered and appealing to Carnival's target demographic, which is a little younger than other lines and looking to have a lot of fun on their vacation. This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to Carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and I promise all of you that I won't be alone.

Great work, Carnival!

As long as he doesn't mess with my favorite comedian, Lance Montalto, (on the 3 nighters, LA-Ensenada run) I'll be a happy cruiser.

I like him too. But after the 3rd time hearing him do the same jokes, he isn't funny anymore. Same with Seth. If they are the comedians, I don't go to the shows.

I've seen Lance more than half dozen times, but I still laugh. But what I especially enjoy, is listening to him play his guitar and singing...especially when he jams with the other musicians on the ship.

I've seen Lance more than half dozen times, but I still laugh. But what I especially enjoy, is listening to him play his guitar and singing...especially when he jams with the other musicians on the ship.

But it would be nice to change his routine. It is basically the same routine for the past 3 years.

Thanks for the explanation - I must be the only one who doesn't know who Guy Fieri is or why burgers need to be gourmet. If you slap a jalapeno on it, it is still a burger. (& mine will still look a lot more like a salad bar than anything else.)

Nah you weren't the only one, lol. Not sure why burgers need to be gourmet either but will try one.

Just got through the last seven pages of comments - I'm completely shocked by the mixed response to these changes. I guess it goes to show how resistant people are to change, even change that is in a really positive direction as these are.

Big picture: RCCL just got kicked in the teeth. They've been able to command premium pricing over Carnival because RCCL has already done many of these enhancements on their newer ships. Now they have company, as Carnival is making a real effort to catch up with their onboard offerings. You'll see price competition as a result. If I saw correctly, I think RCCL just launched a sale today. Hmm...

When you think about it, nothing is being taken away from current customers as a result of these changes. If none of them strike your fancy, you don't have to use them. It's not as if they're eliminating places on board to make room for these new options. I get that not everyone likes the ideas.

I'm having to work hard to find the flaws in what Carnival did here. For everyone who thinks these changes means Carnival will have to raise prices, I wouldn't be so sure. This is a capital expenditure just like building a new ship or doing ongoing maintenance on current ships in the fleet. 500 million sounds like a lot to us, but it's not that big of a deal for CCL. For the price of building a new ship, they can make these changes on 15 ships instead. Given they have plenty of capacity right now, it's a better business decision for them to improve the quality of their onboard experience than to just build another ship on top of what they already have. Maybe prices go up in the long term, but that was going to happen anyways. Prices are low right now given too many ships and not enough demand, and eventually that was going to be brought back into balance.

Consider each change on its own merits:

FIERI'S BURGER BAR - It's free. Johnny Rockets on RCCL has a charge. Right now, I can get a decent basic burger on the Lido deck and okay fries. At the new place, I get a customized premium burger with good condiments and cheeses, along with better fries. Did I mention it's free?

EA SPORTS BAR - I'm a sports nut and a craft beer drinker. Carnival just told me they're going to create a space with a giant TV board that can be split into 16 panels, or used for just one big game. The bar will have a wider beer selection than what they have now. And it will include EA Sports arcade games for those who wish to play. Awesome. I want it next week when I'm on the Valor. Too bad it's not there yet.

GEORGE LOPEZ - I'm with many of you, not a huge fan of Lopez. Still, I recognize he has a following and knows the ropes of live comedy including up and coming talent. I enjoy live comedy, and now I find out they have someone dedicated to finding new comics for the fleet and improving the comedy club experience. Last time I checked, comedy at my local Improv costs $15 a person with a two drink minimum. If the club is good, and I go a few times over the week? Big savings, big benefit for people that love live comedy.

DJ IRIE - I don't know who this DJ is. I do know that a lot of the music on board is just okay. I know that I saw many nights on my cruise this summer where the nightclub was empty from 11 PM - 1AM. For people that are into the nightclub, this sounds great. In addition, it sounds like they'll be working with him to improve stage shows and create some fun shows using modern music. I'd give that a try.

RED FROG BAR - I was on the Magic this summer. Beer is great, rum selection and drinks were good. The space was probably too big and the food wasn't a good fit. They're keeping the best part of the idea, moving it to the pool area, and taking away what didn't work. Good move.

BLUE IGUANA BAR AND CANTINA - Someone earlier was complaining about the quality of Carnival's Mexican food options and using that as a reason for why this is a bad idea. Huh? That's exactly why you do this! The Mexican food on the Lido is nothing better than okay. Coming from Arizona, I get to eat great Mexican whenever I want it. Improve the offerings, give it to me for free, expand the tequila selection, and serve by the pool? I can't see a downside to this.

HASBRO GAME SHOWS - I think kareoke and the newlywed game are proof positive that we all like to watch people get on stage and look like fools for our entertainment. Let's not lie about it - these kind of things are fun! If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like a game show during the day with people/families doing contests and challenges. Don't know if it will be great, but on a lazy day at sea, I'd take a look. Better than having the showroom empty with nothing going on.

WINE MACHINE IN LIBRARY - Wine and books go together. The people who want to get hammered and party aren't sampling wine in the library. I'm guessing it won't change the peaceful environment at all, and it's a nice touch. Good way to get a glass of wine you haven't had before, or try a couple samples without wasting your time on a wine tasting you have to pay for.

ALCHEMY BAR - There's been a big trend lately towards creative cocktails and putting a spin on classic drinks. I'm the type to buy a bottle or two from Bon Voyage and mix up a drink in my room, because I don't like the super-sweet frozen drinks at $10 a pop. I would be willing to spend $10 for a cool setting with a custom-made Manhattan or martini. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I'm sure this place will do well and fill a niche in their bar lineup.

So there you have it. Nine changes. All of them well considered and appealing to Carnival's target demographic, which is a little younger than other lines and looking to have a lot of fun on their vacation. This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to Carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and I promise all of you that I won't be alone.

Great work, Carnival!

Sure wish I had a like button for this one. Why someone would change cruiselines over small things is insane to me unless you're already unhappy with said line. In that case I guess it's best for them to find a different cruiseline, it'll make them happy, and I won't have to listen to someone gripe and complain. :-)

I just watched George Lopez announce he is being named the new Curator of Comedy for Carnival. Any bets this is today's big announcement??

one would have to wonder why carnival could not secure a first rate comedian, and had to reach into a third tier, "nick at night", pool.

Fieri & Lopez are not too of my favorite guys, but if they can improve CCL, more power! I have actually (going on 19th cruise) found Carnival to have really good food as opposed to the foodie cruise lines. Plus, they are free venues as opposed to NCL (just got off the Epic-ugh!) where you almost pay for anything other than the dining room. I don't think they will be changing the burgers on the decks (economics). I think Carnival is competing with Royal Caribbean in having free, separate eating venues. This is the way the industry is going. They can also use less personnel in the main dining rooms which may affect service there!

Hopefully, this may raise cruise prices....we'll see!!

If that news is true, what would that mean for Carnival? Would George be on a ship somewhere at some point?

Gosh I hope not....saw his recent stand-up a few months ago....painfully bad could only stand it for a minute or two....felt so bad for him....

Ok let me ask, why there are so many angry/outraged about George Lopez joining CCl? Some say "why carnival could not secure a first rate comedian, and had to reach into a third tier" well, till now CCL only had third and forth tier comedian and i did not see the outrage from CC member and certainly did not see comments about "time to switch cruise line etc" also George will only be on the ships for a very limited number of times so there is a big chance most of us will never see him, if it happens that he is on your ship, I have a simple solution SKIP that show.

I see outrage about why changing the burgers? Relax you will still be able to get the original CCL burger. In order to get the Guy Fieri burgers you have to go to that particular grill (and still with all this complains I bet there will always be a line to get his burgers I will make sure to take pic's on our Oct 22 cruise) again I have the solution, If you think any of the 5 burgers and onion rings they will feature at Guy's grill will not please your taste, again just SKIP that grill, problem fixed. Skip the Guy grill skip the comedy show and just have a great cruise.

To coin a Family Guy phrase:

You're all just perpetuating the myth that George Lopez is funny.

:D Yup, if they signed up Seth MacFarlane instead, that would be something.

I don't think any of this is meant to compete with anything that Royal Caribbean is doing. I do think it is a fairly good effort at revitalizing an aging fleet of cruise ships and it will allow Carnival to continue to fill ships at affordable prices and maintain their role as market leader of lower cost cruising.

I doubt too many will book a cruise for a "gourmet burger" or a Johnny Rockets burger. It's just a nice option to have. At zero cost, it sounds like they are going to use the same frozen patties they currently use at the Lido grill and just add the extras to the burgers. As for Lopez, he may have relationships with different young comedians than the ones traditionally booked by Carnival. Maybe it's more of a "booker" relationship.

Did I say anything about demographic?....No, but I will address why I will be looking elsewhere to cruise.....DJ Irie is not someone who I would chose to plan the music I dance to. Don't like Lopez....never have, never will. There is a reason his TBS show was cancelled. Goumet burgers? I don't eat burgers on a ship. Theses changes are for those of a younger generation than the one I am a member of. People complain about children and college kids being too rowdy on the ships, just wait. I cruise to get away and relax, not fight crowds, have a lot of noise and partying going on. I know Carnival is the fun ships, but this is not my kind of fun...I prefer to sit in the library with a good book, or playing a quiet game of bridge. Not everyone likes to to cruise for the ship activities. We cruise because it is the only way we can get any rest. My husband is on call 24/7. We tried the week at the beach, got 5 calls before having to return home.....Had third row center seats at a concert, security found him and he had to take a call and we had to leave. We cruise because we can't leave a ship if he gets a call. Just don't want to pay more for my fares so others can have a free burger or taco.

Holland America Line :rolleyes:

happy cruising

Holland America Line :rolleyes:

happy cruising

jonny rockets was free when they were first introduced.

in fact, they still are.

there's a service charge imposed, because it became a kids hangout.

Now they can hang out at guys.

Did I say anything about demographic?....No, but I will address why I will be looking elsewhere to cruise.....DJ Irie is not someone who I would chose to plan the music I dance to. Don't like Lopez....never have, never will. There is a reason his TBS show was cancelled. Goumet burgers? I don't eat burgers on a ship. Theses changes are for those of a younger generation than the one I am a member of. People complain about children and college kids being too rowdy on the ships, just wait. I cruise to get away and relax, not fight crowds, have a lot of noise and partying going on. I know Carnival is the fun ships, but this is not my kind of fun...I prefer to sit in the library with a good book, or playing a quiet game of bridge. Not everyone likes to to cruise for the ship activities. We cruise because it is the only way we can get any rest. My husband is on call 24/7. We tried the week at the beach, got 5 calls before having to return home.....Had third row center seats at a concert, security found him and he had to take a call and we had to leave. We cruise because we can't leave a ship if he gets a call. Just don't want to pay more for my fares so others can have a free burger or taco.

Sorry, but no one is on call 24/7/365. Tip # 1: when you get to your cabin (or hotel room if you're on land), turn off the cell phone/pager/PDA/tablet/laptop/smoke signal transceiver and put it in the safe. I know it's hard to remember, but the world got along fine when every phone had a cord and had to be plugged into the wall. Then, no one could contact you unless you were at home. And THAT'S STILL POSSIBLE to do :D - folks can only contact a person who's willing to be contacted.

On my last cruise, one of my traveling companions - who had not left her cell phone in the cabin safe :eek: - got a call from her office while we were in Panama. Her response to the caller: "Is your hair on fire?" When the inevitable "no" answer came, my friend's response was, "Then don't call me until I get back to the States."

Easy peasy. People only think it isn't.

Happy cruising to all!

Sorry, but no one is on call 24/7/365. Tip # 1: when you get to your cabin (or hotel room if you're on land), turn off the cell phone/pager/PDA/tablet/laptop/smoke signal transceiver and put it in the safe. I know it's hard to remember, but the world got along fine when every phone had a cord and had to be plugged into the wall. Then, no one could contact you unless you were at home. And THAT'S STILL POSSIBLE to do :D - folks can only contact a person who's willing to be contacted.

On my last cruise, one of my traveling companions - who had not left her cell phone in the cabin safe :eek: - got a call from her office while we were in Panama. Her response to the caller: "Is your hair on fire?" When the inevitable "no" answer came, my friend's response was, "Then don't call me until I get back to the States."

Easy peasy. People only think it isn't.

Happy cruising to all!

Couldn't agree more.

And even if their hair was on fire, what the heck can you do about it from a ship in Panama ?

jonny rockets was free when they were first introduced.

in fact, they still are.

there's a service charge imposed, because it became a kids hangout.

Now they can hang out at guys.

Now there is a scary thought .. that it starts off free and if the demand is there, they will charge later on.

We used to get a free coupon in our coupon book for Johnny Rockets up until about last year, now its a bogo deal on milkshakes. I only went for the onion rings anyway. Johnny Rockets still free for breakfast on Oasis, and it was great, because it never was crowded early in the morning.

Wow! I knew from reading some of the comments on Facebook that this would get heated, and boy, was I right!

To those that don't like George Lopez- do you really think that he will be the comedian on board? No way. Whether you care for his brand of humor is irrelevant. It isn't like he is going to personally be there...;)

IMO I think the majority of the changes sound great. Does DJ whathisname play my type of music? Obviously, no. But that wouldn't stop me from cruising Carnival (although I may steer clear of the nightclub for sure). Do I think the idea of comedians at brunch is a good idea? No- while I do like the idea of offering brunch, I like to enjoy meals with my family, not laugh till milk squirts out of my nose. Guess that just means I will have to eat at one of the other dozen or so places on board...

I think even if the beards had announced they would be giving everyone that cruised on Carnival a million dollars, some people would still complain- about how were they supposed to carry it home? And who would pay the taxes on it, yadda yadda yadda...:rolleyes:

Guess the old saying really is true- you can please some of the people, some of the time but you can't please all of them all of the time (or something like that).:rolleyes:

But it would be nice to change his routine. It is basically the same routine for the past 3 years.

I'd bet 99% of the people in the cruise ship audience has never seen his routine. So he performs for those audience members. We are just fortunate that we are able to cruise often enough to say we've seen his routine several times. Can you tell I have a bit of a secret crush on him? (ok, not so secret anymore...LOL)

Archived