Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

I've been re-reading this thread on what to do the first night in Shanghai which for us will be this Friday.

A consensus seems to be see the Bund at night since it won't be possible on day two. We'll be staying at the Portman Ritz Carlton which is a few miles away so not walkable for us. We'll probably take a cab but where _exactly_ should it let us off for the best experience/view? Isn't the Bund a large area?

Sadly Michele has bad knees and cannot do great amounts of walking so we want our travels to be as efficient as possible. After the day 2 tour we'll probably know the answer of where to go but that'll be too late.

Karl

Can't help you with the Bund info, but wanted to let you know that there is a very nice supermarket below the Ritz and a Starbucks next door. Go down the escalator near the front entrance to the Ritz and you will see he supermarket.

The concierge will probable be able to help with getting you to the Bund. Be sure to take a business card from the Ritz to show the taxi driver for the return trip. The Ritz will exchange dollars to Yuan if you need, too. Exchange rate is pretty good.

Have a wonderful trip.

Do you know the name of the restaurant where Viking is bringing everybody the night of the opera and is this dinner included in the price of the opera ticket ?

The name of the hotel is JianGuo in the QianMen District just south of Tiananmen Square. As a side note the hotel hosted a state dinner for Richard Nixon in 1972 where he attended the Opera. Hotel is reviewed on Trip Advisor.

I've been re-reading this thread on what to do the first night in Shanghai which for us will be this Friday.

A consensus seems to be see the Bund at night since it won't be possible on day two. We'll be staying at the Portman Ritz Carlton which is a few miles away so not walkable for us. We'll probably take a cab but where _exactly_ should it let us off for the best experience/view? Isn't the Bund a large area?

Sadly Michele has bad knees and cannot do great amounts of walking so we want our travels to be as efficient as possible. After the day 2 tour we'll probably know the answer of where to go but that'll be too late.

Karl

We were at the Westin Bund Hotel, which was a short walk over to the Bund at a spot where you had the really "classic" views along the water. (It's where I took the photo below.) If you Google that hotel, you can see where to go (street names). The Google map shows a spot called the "Waitan scenic area;" anywhere along there should be good.

Have a FANTASTIC trip!

China20113676_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We were at the Westin Bund Hotel, which was a short walk over to the Bund at a spot where you had the really "classic" views along the water. (It's where I took the photo below.) If you Google that hotel, you can see where to go (street names). The Google map shows a spot called the "Waitan scenic area;" anywhere along there should be good.

Have a FANTASTIC trip!

Thank you. Ah ha! I see Waitan scenic area on google maps. Actually there are two but clearly that whole area would likely be good. The map shows a taxi stand so we might want to hang around in that area to make the return easier. Great photo!

Edited by kbert92069

We have paid in full our Sept 15th 2013 China Explorer with Guilan/HK extension trip. I get so excited when I check out this forum. We have been on Avalon's Danube River cruise for 21 days and 5 other cruises but really look forward to this one. Glad our trip is paid for and now it is just the flight to arrange and Visa to obtain. We can make any changes to the flight in November. We paid the extra $50 per person. Looking forward to hearing from anyone else taking the same trip.

Lori

79ti

We have paid in full our Sept 15th 2013 China Explorer with Guilan/HK extension trip. I get so excited when I check out this forum. We have been on Avalon's Danube River cruise for 21 days and 5 other cruises but really look forward to this one. Glad our trip is paid for and now it is just the flight to arrange and Visa to obtain. We can make any changes to the flight in November. We paid the extra $50 per person. Looking forward to hearing from anyone else taking the same trip.

Lori

79ti

We are booked on the Sep 11th 2013 Imperial Jewels. I am expecting the temps to be hot.

Haven't seen a roll call yet!

Dennis

The final laundry is being done--now to decide what to pack!!! Can't believe the trip is just 3 days away. Once again thanks to all of you for the suggestions and the wonderful pictures. On our free day we are going pearl shopping--found on the map the place suggested by Lori. Then DH wants to see the pandas, so to the zoo we will go. Pat:D:D:D

The final laundry is being done--now to decide what to pack!!! Can't believe the trip is just 3 days away. Once again thanks to all of you for the suggestions and the wonderful pictures. On our free day we are going pearl shopping--found on the map the place suggested by Lori. Then DH wants to see the pandas, so to the zoo we will go. Pat:D:D:D

So glad you are going to the Pearl Market! Words of advice - the cheapest stuff is on the first floor, stuff gets more expensive on the upper floors - explore all of them! And Bargain, Bargain, Bargain!!! DON'T be afraid to walk away - they WILL chase you down. If you buy silk scarves from the place on the first floor, do NOT let them give you the ones pre-wrapped - they are smaller - pick one out that you like and buy that one after you agree on a price.

Have a FABULOUS trip!!!:D

Can anyone tell us what kind of weather to expect on our cruise from Beijing to Hong Kong in Sept? Booked on the Viking China Explorer at that time. Thanks

Lori and John

Weather-wise, think New York or Chicago, maybe even Atlanta. Remember that you are covering thousands of miles on this trip and that the weather changes as you change altitude and latitude. September is a transitional month and it could still be warm or it could turn brisk--even on the same trip. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but you asked about weather and it is so changeable (well, except for July and August when everyone reports 'hot and humid').

Viking China Explorer is a new itinerary for 2013 and there are couple of places that no one here has experienced yet. Explorer will be sharing the 5 day cruise portion with the Imperial's Jewel and possibly the Roof of the World/Tibet itineraries. There are only 7 Explorer sailings for 2013 (compared with 39 for Jewels and 18 for Roof) Personally, I can't wait until the reports start coming in on the new 'ports of call.' If you are doing research on the new ports of call, please share what you learn (links to website, etc.)--and of course come back here and report on the itinerary itself when you get back home.

We are booked on the Sep 11th 2013 Imperial Jewels. I am expecting the temps to be hot.

Haven't seen a roll call yet!

Dennis

:( Roll calls are few and far between for the river cruises, even ones as popular as the China itineraries. Big ocean cruises only get a couple of per cent of passengers who take part in the roll calls and the percentages don't seem to be any different on the river cruises. Every now and then there is a roll call that attracts more than one or two people--but it the luck of the draw and nothing else.

IMHO, don't wait for someone else to start the roll. Take the bull by the horns, get it started and post to it regularly (every few weeks) to keep it on page one. Also, include a link to it in your signature file as you continue to post here and other pertinent threads.

BON VOYAGE!!!!! Can't wait to hear from you on your return--and see your pictures, too.

Have a GREAT time!!!

Can anyone tell us what kind of weather to expect on our cruise from Beijing to Hong Kong in Sept? Booked on the Viking China Explorer at that time. Thanks

Lori and John

Beijing will have weather similar to the upper midwest in the US, Shanghai is similar to New Orleans, and Hong Kong is farther south than Miami. ChongQing area including Chengdu as well as Wuhan are known as the furnace of China so expect hot and humid in early September and more rain towards the end.

This past week temps in Guangzhou which is near Hong Kong are ranging from lows around 70 to highs in the mid-80s. ChongQing temps are 60 to mid-70s and rainy. Beijing is ranging from the 40s to the 60s. These temps are probably a little cooler than you will experience since they are mid-Oct vice Sept.

This is a photo from Chengdu that our friend who lives in ChongQing sent us from her visit to the Panda Reserve a couple of weeks ago just to whet your appetite.

panda-M.jpg

Only a few things also to pack ! We were able to to it in two lare suitcases containing less than 20 kg each and a one carry-on with less than 5 kg wich are the weights required for intra China flights. Since we are extentioning our trip (without Viking) and will fly two times also we need to be very careful for the luggage's weight.

About what to pack, le'ts say that we plan to do a little laundry or to have it done at the hotel or the ship meaning less clothes to bring :)

Please can you remind me where you'll go pearl shopping since there's no time for me to search for Lori's information.

Have a great flight and a magnificent time in Beijing. See you onboard after the first dinner at the Emerald bar or if it happens that you hear some French speaking in the dining room it'll be us !!!

Diane

Diane, the laundry is done, but won't go in the suitcases til tomorrow. We have our 14 year old grandson this week. His mom is doing the most important part of her communications internship this week. Between school and soccer we seem to always be going someplace with or for him.

there are two places--the pearl marketor Hongqaio market. The other is Panjiayuan or antiques market. This is where I am leaning because of the fresh water pearls. See you on board. Pat

Diane, the laundry is done, but won't go in the suitcases til tomorrow. We have our 14 year old grandson this week. His mom is doing the most important part of her communications internship this week. Between school and soccer we seem to always be going someplace with or for him.

there are two places--the pearl marketor Hongqaio market. The other is Panjiayuan or antiques market. This is where I am leaning because of the fresh water pearls. See you on board. Pat

If you tell the hotel concierge 'pearl market' or 'antiques market', he will probably know where it is, help you get into a cab and give the cabbie your destination (as well as a card for you to present to a cabby to get you back to the hotel). Our hotel in Shanghai had double-folded business cards with pre-printed popular destinations. The concierge checked off the correct one for us. Not only that but he also instructed the doorman where we were going so that the doorman could tell the cabbie where to take us. The hotels that Viking uses in Beijing and Shanghai are very accustomed to an international clientele with minimal Chinese language skills and they go out of their way to make your visit as stress-free as possible.

The pearl Market has tons of freshwater pearls, too... I hope you get to see both! :D

The pearl Market has tons of freshwater pearls, too... I hope you get to see both! :D

Thanks Lori

Here we go ! Leaving for the airport in 1 1/2 hour. Montreal /Toronto then Toronto/Beijing.

Thank you all for tons of precious informations.

We'll try to post during the trip.

Diane :):):)

We thought we'd pass along our experience in getting our visas at the Chinese Embassy's Visa Office in Washington in case any of you are contemplating doing the same thing.

We live just outside of DC, so decided to get our visas ourselves rather than use a visa service. The office is on Wisconsin Avenue, a few blocks below Massachusetts Ave., so traffic is an issue and you need to plan accordingly. We arrived just before 10 a.m. (the visa office opens at 9:30 and closes for an hour mid-day for lunch). There is a parking garage in the building, but we easily found a metered spot nearly in front of the building. There were about 20 people ahead of us when we got inside, but our number was called in about 1/2 hour. The woman at the window took our applications and passports and glanced over the applications. The only "glitch" came at this point - I work in a church and she asked me what I did there (I am not clergy) and why I was going to China. She then asked me to have a letter written on church letterhead stating what my job position is and the purpose of my visit to China and to fax it over. She then told us we could pick up our visas in one week. I took care of faxing the letter the next business day.

When you return to pick up your visa, you first wait in line at the cashier's window and then go to the pick-up window. Again, I arrived at about 10 a.m., parked a couple of blocks away in a residential neighborhood (it was a nice day for a walk) and found the line at the cashier's window was quite long. There were a few people whose transactions took longer than most, but even with those delays, I was at the head of the line in a little over 1/2 hour. They had apparently received the faxed letter because when I handed over my receipt, she just asked how I would like to pay. Minutes later, I had our passports with visas in hand. Both visits went more quickly than we had anticipated and it was an interesting introduction to the Chinese way of doing things (and an interesting spot for people-watching).