?? HALs CONVERSION from DOUBLE to SINGLE RATE??

palmgirl

If they have third party insurance then they MUST cancel and prove it to the third party insurance in order to receive the portion of what is being refunded. If that is the case then they are receiving money back from the insurance and not wanting to pay extra for single supplement :confused: That in a sense is double dipping. I am sorry I see nothing wrong with HAL charging them more if in fact they have already canceled the husband so that they can make a claim on their travel insurance. Now if they do NOT make a claim on their travel insurance then yes do not cancel and tell HAL never mind, that will work but I got bets they are trying to get their travel insurance to pay as well as ask HAL to not charge single supplement.

So, what happens once the cruise is under way --- and one of the occupants gets sick and returns home before the end of the cruise ?? Is the cabinmate (who chooses to continue the cruise) then charged a single supplement because there is only one body occupying the cabin ??? (This question is aside from the travel insurance situation.) Seems the cruise line is really taking advantage of the original poster.

I would suggest calling HAL and ask then directly what the additional $500 charge is actually for. Let them explain it. No point in guessing what it is all about. Or if a Travel Agent is involved, I'd wnt to know why. As for a

'no show' charge. If i was travelling with someone, not a spouse, who failed to show I would point blank refuse to pay any 'no show' charge. Is it written into the cruise contract?

Stephen

This is a very interesting subject to me. I never gave it thought prior to this posting. I recall in the past, when checking in, being told that we both had to be present to do it. I remember this because my husband is a fan of dropping off luggage and then checking in later. One time he wanted to drop me off too and check himself in later and we were told, no, both husband and wife have to check in together. ??? But another poster said they checked in without the other person without a problem, just a short story about them checking in later. So does that mean a husband/wife situation is treated differently at check in vs. 2 unrelated people traveling together in the same cabin?

<snip> So does that mean a husband/wife situation is treated differently at check in vs. 2 unrelated people traveling together in the same cabin?

Might be something to do with whether each is using their own credit card for expenses, or whether they are sharing a single credit card.??

I think that a lot of the problem has to do with the existence of 'cancel-for-any reason insurance' offered by HAL. Let's say that Tom wants to do a cruise alone, but doesn't want to pay the 200% single supplement. So Jim suggests, OK, I'll book with you so that we both pay the two-in-a-cabin rate, but I'll buy the cancel anytime insurance and cancel just before the cruise. Then Tom, you give me the the 10% I'm out, plus the insurance cost; a lot less than the 200% single supplement. So they need to charge Tom the single supplement in this case to forestall this kind of ruse.

Now, if nobody buys the insurance and Jim cancels, HAL is going to say: "Well, the insurance was offered and you didn't buy it", so HAL treats Tom as though Jim had bought the insurance. So,yes, HAL gets all the money here. I agree it's hard for customers to understand all these ramifications of shared travel, so it's up to the travel agent or the HAL rep (if booking direct) to explain it all when the insurance (HAL or private) is offered.

I would expect that insurance against unexpected single supplements would be hard to get because of the possibilities of scams like described above. It's better for both to get the 'cancel-for-any-reason' plan.

I would expect that insurance against unexpected single supplements would be hard to get because of the possibilities of scams like described above. It's better for both to get the 'cancel-for-any-reason' plan.

You can get insurance that will cover you if your traveling partner has to cancel for medical reasons for themselves or death for an immediate family member. Not all insurances offer this, so you have to read the fine print. I like to deal with The Trip Insurance Store. They give me great service explaining the different plans.

This topic has come up quite a few times of late. People are trying to bash HAL, but it is my guess that all/most cruiselines would handle this in the same way.

Here is some info on Cancel for any Reason Insurance. This is not specific to HAL's plans, so I am not sure how they compare:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/cfar.shtml#a

From the link above:

Here's a big drawback (besides the price & you don't get a 100% refund) in the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage:

("Cancel For Work Reason" has the same drawback)

A trip cancellation claim that is paid under the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage means that any benefit you would get from any covered reason is lost. For example:

2 people (significant others) are sharing a cabin on a cruise

Even though they are "madly in love" they still get "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage (maybe that plants a seed of discord?)

They have a falling out and one of them cancels their trip using their "Cancel For Any Reason" benefit

The other person does not receive the benefit (as in getting any money from the claim) of the additional cost incurred during the Covered Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate (single supplement).

If you carefully examine this policy wording, you'll see what I mean: (italics mine)

"The Company will reimburse You, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage for Trip Cancellation, for the additional cost incurred during the Covered Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You has his/her Covered Trip delayed, canceled, or interrupted for a covered reason and You do not cancel."

The reason the traveler still going on the trip doesn't get their single supplement costs paid in a claim is because the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage allows a person to cancel for a not-covered reason.

I think that a lot of the problem has to do with the existence of 'cancel-for-any reason insurance' offered by HAL. Let's say that Tom wants to do a cruise alone, but doesn't want to pay the 200% single supplement. So Jim suggests, OK, I'll book with you so that we both pay the two-in-a-cabin rate, but I'll buy the cancel anytime insurance and cancel just before the cruise. Then Tom, you give me the the 10% I'm out, plus the insurance cost; a lot less than the 200% single supplement. So they need to charge Tom the single supplement in this case to forestall this kind of ruse.

Now, if nobody buys the insurance and Jim cancels, HAL is going to say: "Well, the insurance was offered and you didn't buy it", so HAL treats Tom as though Jim had bought the insurance. So,yes, HAL gets all the money here. I agree it's hard for customers to understand all these ramifications of shared travel, so it's up to the travel agent or the HAL rep (if booking direct) to explain it all when the insurance (HAL or private) is offered.

Good point Pete.

The more stories I read about cruise line insurance, the more I am convinced I do not want it.

Well, now with some credit cards offering free trip cancellation coverage (and other travel-related issues as well such as trip-delay and lost baggage coverage) if you pay using their card, you can have your cake and eat it too!

<snip><snip>

The reason the traveler still going on the trip doesn't get their single supplement costs paid in a claim is because the "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage allows a person to cancel for a not-covered reason.[/color]

Well, clearly, if both have a cancel for any reason policy and if one cancels, then the other must too, unless they want to pay the single supplement.

Quite a few years ago I took a cruise, paying for both my fare and my travel companion's fare -- hence, I paid the double-occupency rate for both of us, including taxes and port fees. My travel companion had a death in the family the day BEFORE we were to cruise, and didn't make the trip. I went alone.

On check-in I told the agent that my travel companion wouldn't be making it due to a family death. They brought over a supervisor and they checked the booking details, noting that I had paid for the entire cruise and that the other person wasn't "canceling" he was just not showing up. The supervisor shrugged and said "you'll be getting a refund for the taxes and port fees paid for your no-show travel companion, otherwise the other double-occupency cruise fare essentially becomes a single supplement." I said I understood that and wasn't expecting anything different. And that was that.

A single fare with the single supplement is NOT going to be MORE than two double-occupency fares. What may cause a cruise for one to be more expensive than what was originally paid for two is if they were to CANCEL the whole booking and re-book at the then-current rate for one with single supplement. That might cause the base cruise fare to be much higher, resulting in the total for one with single supplement being more than the original total for two. So, don't let 'em cancel.

I booked a single occupancy cabin today and the TA told me that there were only 9 remaining cabins available for single occupancy. It sounds like they limit the number of solo travellers. Perhaps their solo quota is already filled for this cruise and that is why an additional amount is being charged.

I always travelled with my Dad who passed away, so am now going the Single Supplement route. According to my TA, HAL's Single Supplement varies from 160% - 210% based upon cruise and cabin location. (Yes, that second number is OVER double the cost of the cabin.) I know that while I was playing on the HAL web site, I came up with several cruises that would cost me more booked as a Single Supplement than booked as a Double paying for both parties.

A single fare with the single supplement is NOT going to be MORE than two double-occupency fares.
Thanks, RevNeal. This is what I wasn't understanding when people were talking about a single occupancy supplement of 150% or 200%. I couldn't understand why HAL would charge $1,000 to each of two people in a cabin, but charge a single passenger $1,000+$1,500 (or $1,000+$2,000) to use the same cabin. It makes more sense that HAL simply charges a single passenger (no more than) $2,000, the same revenue it would get if two passengers each paid $1,000.

[quote name='Globaliser']. It makes more sense that HAL simply charges a single passenger (no more than) $2,000, the same revenue it would get if two passengers each paid $1,000.[/quote]

They also lose the revenue from added excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants etc.

Does anybody know if all people in a stateroom DO have to check in together ? I always have with my partner, but next month I'm sailing with a friend that is flying in from another city. Do we have to check in together ?

[quote name='Gunther1']Does anybody know if all people in a stateroom DO have to check in together ? I always have with my partner, but next month I'm sailing with a friend that is flying in from another city. Do we have to check in together ?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I don't know how it works of you're on the same booking number, but if you have two different booking numbers, you don't have to check in together. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='vbmom87']They also lose the revenue from added excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants etc.[/quote]

No way! All they loose is $11/day Hotel Charge. The big revenue from excursions, drinks etc etc is a myth. Follow the other thread about passengers that leave the ship with ZERO balance.

Stephen

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I don't know how it works of you're on the same booking number, but if you have two different booking numbers, you don't have to check in together. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You don't have to check in together, whether you're on the same booking number or not. My friend and I were on the same booking number, but she checked in during the afternoon, and I checked in a few hours later - we were leaving port at 9:00pm. There were no problems for either of us checking in separately.

[quote name='RevNeal']Quite a few years ago I took a cruise, paying for both my fare and my travel companion's fare -- hence, I paid the double-occupency rate for both of us, including taxes and port fees. My travel companion had a death in the family the day BEFORE we were to cruise, and didn't make the trip. I went alone.

On check-in I told the agent that my travel companion wouldn't be making it due to a family death. They brought over a supervisor and they checked the booking details, noting that I had paid for the entire cruise and that the other person wasn't "canceling" he was just not showing up. The supervisor shrugged and said "you'll be getting a refund for the taxes and port fees paid for your no-show travel companion, otherwise the other double-occupency cruise fare essentially becomes a single supplement." I said I understood that and wasn't expecting anything different. And that was that.

A single fare with the single supplement is NOT going to be MORE than two double-occupency fares. What may cause a cruise for one to be more expensive than what was originally paid for two is if they were to CANCEL the whole booking and re-book at the then-current rate for one with single supplement. That might cause the base cruise fare to be much higher, resulting in the total for one with single supplement being more than the original total for two. So, don't let 'em cancel.[/quote]

Now that makes sense to me!!

:) :)

[quote name='Topsham']No way! All they loose is $11/day Hotel Charge. The big revenue from excursions, drinks etc etc is a myth. Follow the other thread about passengers that leave the ship with ZERO balance.
Stephen[/quote]

Although I don't run a zero balance I don't spend much on board. However, the cruiselines look at it differently from all I have read on this matter. I stand by what I wrote.

[quote name='vbmom87']Although I don't run a zero balance I don't spend much on board. However, the cruiselines look at it differently from all I have read on this matter. I stand by what I wrote.[/quote]

They can look at it until they are blue in the face but they cannot charge someone for what they would 'like' passengers to spend!

[quote name='vbmom87']They also lose the revenue from added excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants etc.[/QUOTE]No doubt they'll lose something.

But "two passengers each pay $1,000 for this room, one passenger pays $2,000 for sole use of this room" still makes more sense than "two passengers each pay $1,000 for this room, one passenger pays $3,000 for sole use of this room". Few passengers would spend $1,000 onboard on such a cruise.

Archived