Any thoughts on Lido deck rooms?

lithlith

I'm currently booked in an inside cabin on the Lido deck of the Diamond Princess. I am wondering about any likes or dislikes passengers have of staying in these rooms on the lido deck.

Thanks!

We loved staying on the Lido deck for our Ruby cruise. We picked the Lido over the large Caribe balcony due to location location location. It was a great deck and we would take it again. We enjoyed going to our room with our breakfast and lunches instead of hunting for a table. It was so easy to pop back to the cabin for items during the day and to refill my bottled water.

I did the Diamond in L241 (an inside Category II) on my Alaska cruisetour this past July and it was just fine.

The forward location was quiet, the forward elevator bank and stairwell were uncrowded, it had great wase of access to the pool, buffet, lap pool, and the covered pool (important in Alaska).

Also, you could quickly get to outside (or sheltered) viewing areas when in scenic areas like Glacier Bay and during docking operations.

The interior cabins on Princess are small (about 165 sq. ft.) so some recommend opting for twin bed setup so as to maximize the open space. You may also want to place that glass top table in your closet as it just takes up space and is unlikely to be used.

I did the Diamond in L241 (an inside Category II) on my Alaska cruisetour this past July and it was just fine.

The forward location was quiet, the forward elevator bank and stairwell were uncrowded, it had great wase of access to the pool, buffet, lap pool, and the covered pool (important in Alaska).

Also, you could quickly get to outside (or sheltered) viewing areas when in scenic areas like Glacier Bay and during docking operations.

The interior cabins on Princess are small (about 165 sq. ft.) so some recommend opting for twin bed setup so as to maximize the open space. You may also want to place that glass top table in your closet as it just takes up space and is unlikely to be used.

We are trying the Lido Deck for the first time on the Emerald this spring. Any other tips or opinions are gratly appreciated!

Ken

We had 2 insides on Lido Deck on the Golden to Alaska this summer (L233 and L236). The only real issue we had was that one son and I ended up a bit motion sick one evening - you can definitely feel the motion more in forward cabins on the upper decks (we've previously stayed in B241/B237 on the Sapphire and motion was less of an issue).

Otherwise, it was very convenient to the buffet (late night snacks) and outside viewing areas (for Glacier Bay, etc).

We were in L201 on the Grand, an inside as far forward as you can get. It was a wonderful location! Loved being able to gain access to the outside quickly, especially since I love photographing sunrises!!

Cheers, Denise

My wife and I had an inside on Lido Deck this past June on the Golden to Alaska. We thought it was a great location...very close to the outside decks, the pizza and the Horizon Court buffet. we would definitely stay in one again.

We had a guarantee on the Emerald last year and were assigned a balcony on Lido deck. We were a little worried that it would be noisy and busy with foot traffic to and from the outdoor venues. Our cabin was fairly close to the front of the ship and a few doors down from the stairs/elevators.

It turned out to be a very good location--quiet, that set of stairs and elevators seemed less busy than others, and very convenient to all the Lido activities and eateries.

I suppose the far forward, high cabins could be a problem in bad weather, but we felt very little movement on our smooth cruise.

We are trying the Lido Deck for the first time on the Emerald this spring. Any other tips or opinions are gratly appreciated!

Ken

Hey Ken...It's Jeanne from the March 17 cruise...we are also on Lido...we were upgraded to that deck.(still hopeing for a mini-suite;))

Fortunately, we are forward of the elevators.

That is the only thing I would tell you to check out. If you are between the elevators and the pool (as we once were) they is just to much foot traffic going by your room.

Jeanne

We liked being so near the food & pool venues but did not like all the foot traffic. It's not that the traffic was going by our cabin so much, it was getting around everyone just to come and go from our cabin.

It's certainly not a deal breaker and the convenience of coming back to our cabin at the end of the day, after going to the shows [just up one elevator], is really nice.

But I'm wondering if you get woken by the smell of coffee and bacon, etc every morning?

Never smelled a thing--the buffet was at the other end of the ship. This was the Emerald though, not the Grand.

I suppose it matters how the deck is laid out, but for our cabin we did not have much foot traffic near it, only people who had cabins nearby. The main door to the Lido did not require people to go past our cabin.

If motion is not an issue' date=' I would recommend rooms forward of the elevators. there is not much foot traffic there.[/quote']

Completely agree. We had a Lido inside cabin on the Caribbean Princess and we were forward of the elevators/stairwell. Great location, very quiet.

But I'm wondering if you get woken by the smell of coffee and bacon, etc every morning?

The Horizon Court is aft on the Grand-class ships so you won't smell anything...

We had an inside on the Ruby on Lido, and loved it. Great location. Now, by chance, we will be in a Lido balcony on the Crown next time out. Fine by us.

And I second the comments about the elevators being less busy.

We felt no motion, unfortunately. I was hoping to feel at least something.

The Horizon Court is aft on the Grand-class ships so you won't smell anything...

This is true, but the Pizza and Hamburger Grill are just outside of the Lido Deck cabins. That said, I never did smell anything from those venues when we had our lido cabin. They sure smelled good when we walked through the doors and passed them, though ;)

Except for six Riviera deck (Aloha on Grand) inside cabins, The standard inside, oceanview and balcony cabins are all the same size.

Photos of the six large inside cabins:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

They are slightly larger, but the primary advantage is a superior layout.

We loved staying on the Lido deck for our Ruby cruise. We picked the Lido over the large Caribe balcony due to location location location. It was a great deck and we would take it again. We enjoyed going to our room with our breakfast and lunches instead of hunting for a table.

I respect your reasons for enjoying a Lido deck cabin; however, the distance from HC to our Caribe deck cabin is likely shorter than to your cabin.

We usually book a Caribe deck cabin aft of the aft elevators. Hallways are quiet with very little foot traffic and access to HC and all of Lido deck is quick and easy via the aft or mid-ship elevators.

Lew

• 2 months later...

I need to qualify my previous post. Just got off the Crown, where we had a Lido Balcony. The night of the Ultimate Deck Party was horrible. VERY noisy, and it didn't end until midnight. Even then I wouldn't have minded much - except to meet our excursion the next day (showering, breakfast, etc) we had to get up at 6:30.

I respect your reasons for enjoying a Lido deck cabin; however, the distance from HC to our Caribe deck cabin is likely shorter than to your cabin.

We usually book a Caribe deck cabin aft of the aft elevators. Hallways are quiet with very little foot traffic and access to HC and all of Lido deck is quick and easy via the aft or mid-ship elevators.

Lew

maybe, but the elevators can take forever up top. :D We had a routine of getting our cold sandwiches from the IC and then heading up for the fresh french fries from the grill.

We never really had a problem with noise. The only time was during luggage off loading. We were right across from the crew area.

I'm currently booked in an inside cabin on the Lido deck of the Diamond Princess. I am wondering about any likes or dislikes passengers have of staying in these rooms on the lido deck.

Thanks!

We have been on 9 Princess cruises, all on the Lido Deck of the Grand class ships. It's our location of choice. We love the convenience to the pool and buffet areas, it's the only deck we are on during the day on the ship.

On a few occasions, we have been bothered a bit by noise above us, mostly vacuum cleaners being ran or carts rolling across the hallway upstairs, usually around 6am.

We have never experienced any issues with motion sickness, but you can feel the movement more in that location than others.

Mike

We once intentionally booked a balcony cabin on Lido, the last one (or first one) before you go out to the pool. We loved being so close to the pool/buffet etc. but the noise was terrible. Not just the noise, but the teenagers who sat in the hall to eat their burgers and pizza because it was too hot/no chairs outside and the people who yell up and down the hall to each other - "get me an ice tea". Perhaps front of the elevators would be ok but don't go near the pool/buffet exit.

Ken

We were on the Emerald Lido last month. We were forward of the elevators. Lots of traffic from the elevators to the open deck entrance, but nothing past the elevators forward. No noise, nothing.

I'm not sure what the new smoking policy will do to the deck smoking area, but if it will still exist, and if you are not a smoker, be aware that the Emerald's smoking area is on the Lido deck, port side, just as you leave the stateroom area. When walking down that hallway, I was glad I wasn't in one of the first few cabins closest to the pools and food, as the door was always opening and the hallway was always smoky.