Lounge Chairs

RADGIRL80

Hi!

My husband and are new to Holland and are looking forward to it! We will be sailing on the Eurodam in the beginning of Nov. On our previous cruises with RCCL and NCL we had to get up early just to get a lounge chair! By 9-10 am the decks were packed!

Is that the same case with Holland? How early do we have to get to the Lido deck? We are also ok with loungers that are not right by the pool.

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keep in mind that the Eurodam does not have as many passengers as RCI and NCL do on their ships.

There are plenty of lounge chairs by the aft pool on the Lido deck.

Enjoy the Eurodam -- and don't forget to try the Tamarind Restaurant for dinner - $15 per person.

We have never had a problem getting a lounge chair. No matter what time we come to the pool, we can always find a chair. Sure, it might not be exactly one step from the pool but that is fine with us. We prefer aft pools vs the Lido pool which is at the retractable roof.

We have sailed Eurodam six cruises and really like that ship alot. She's beautiful with a wonderful crew. I agree about Tamarind for dinner, at least one night. :) Pinnacle is also very good IMO

On our Veendam cruise, it seemed the chairs at tables in the Lido pool section area were taken first, not the loungers in that area.

Veendam is, of course, the exception to HAL's well known aft pools (as well as Rotterdam).

The Retreat on Veendam and version Retreat II do not actually have a pool. The hot tubs and whatever stone benches do not lend themselves to lounge chairs and sunning in the way the aft pools on the other ships do.

Eurodam has lots of tables at aft pool and we did notice they also filled up. Some folks prefer sitting at the tables than in the lounges.

Veendam is, of course, the exception to HAL's well known aft pools (as well as Rotterdam).

The Retreat on Veendam and version Retreat II do not actually have a pool. The hot tubs and whatever stone benches do not lend themselves to lounge chairs and sunning in the way the aft pools on the other ships do.

Eurodam has lots of tables at aft pool and we did notice they also filled up. Some folks prefer sitting at the tables than in the lounges.

Although it is true that there is no aft pool on Veendam and that it is not a similar layout to the other ships there are in fact plenty of lounge chairs in the aft area so people can sun themselves. My suspicion is that your viewpoint is based on what you have read on this forum and not what you have personally seen and experienced on Veendam. There are plenty of Retreat haters who just post because they can't adjust to changes to keep a ship financially viable. That discussion has been beaten to a pulp.

There are plenty of Retreat haters who just post because they can't adjust to changes to keep a ship financially viable. That discussion has been beaten to a pulp.

I think HAL could be included in the list of retreat "haters" as they decided not to mess with any other ships after this disaster. Please support your theory that this made financial sense for HAL.

I think HAL could be included in the list of retreat "haters" as they decided not to mess with any other ships after this disaster. Please support your theory that this made financial sense for HAL.

It added cabins, so I guess that brings in more money. Whether it pays for the cost of construction I couldn't guess. I have seen Veendam's Retreat 1.0 and did not like it. The lack of a true outdoor pool on a warm-weather cruise is a bad decision. I haven't seen versioin 2.0, so I can't comment.

It added cabins, so I guess that brings in more money. Whether it pays for the cost of construction I couldn't guess. I have seen Veendam's Retreat 1.0 and did not like it. The lack of a true outdoor pool on a warm-weather cruise is a bad decision. I haven't seen versioin 2.0, so I can't comment.

I always hear that the price of the cruise doesn't bring in the money so I have to disagree. If it was so financially lucrative HAL would have continued. The particular poster that I quoted seems to like to make snarky comments that don't make sense. I would like to hear from that poster how it has helped the bottom line for HAL.

I always hear that the price of the cruise doesn't bring in the money so I have to disagree. If it was so financially lucrative HAL would have continued. The particular poster that I quoted seems to like to make snarky comments that don't make sense. I would like to hear from that poster how it has helped the bottom line for HAL.

Hi I'm back.

If presenting an opinion which is not step-by-step in line with the solid core of posters on this board which see any change to the HAL they love as treason then I plead guilty to the charge of being "snarky". Even if I am not sure what the particular characteristics of the charge might entail. Of course, asserting this charge is a violation of CC code of conduct posting rules as comments are not supposed to be made on a personalized basis.

Now as to heart of the discussion: HAL decided to place more cabins on Veendam to generate more income by 1. bringing in direct revenue in cabin fares and 2. incrementally because these extra passengers spend for extras such as drinks, spas etc. 3. They decided that in order to do this they had to remove the aft pool.

In addition, they decided to create the Lanai cabins which also bring additional cabin revenue in and possibly attract more passengers who could not spring for a verandah but like the idea of being able to step out to the Promenade.

Now if the alternative is to generate more revenue or let the ship become financially inviable and be removed from service what would the choice of the seasoned HAL cruiser be? We don't have the actual numbers from the ship available do we to see if it is generating extra revenue? The idea on the surface seems to make sense.

However it appears that from reaction of the HAL posters and repeaters that they would prefer to pay increased fares to keep the S class ships sailing rather than have any changes made.

I for one applaud HAL for having made a decision to make a change and then having the courage to admit that they had in fact made an error in judgement. The last time I checked not every decision that people make in business is brilliant. Never forget the idea of New Coke.

DW to whom I have been married for 31 wonderful years and I, having been exposed to the HAL experience, eagerly look forward to our next trip.

We are tentatively planning for The Voyage of The Vikings for 2013. She does not seem to think that I am snarky in the least but a loving and caring husband and father. And in the end that's all that matters to me.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Hi!

My husband and are new to Holland and are looking forward to it! We will be sailing on the Eurodam in the beginning of Nov. On our previous cruises with RCCL and NCL we had to get up early just to get a lounge chair! By 9-10 am the decks were packed!

Is that the same case with Holland? How early do we have to get to the Lido deck? We are also ok with loungers that are not right by the pool.

Thanks!

From my experience(s), one should be at the Lido pool area no later than 9:00 a.m. if one wishes to obtain a lounger of their choice! ;) Now, if one sets their alarm clock for the early a.m., one could then go to the Lido pool area to leave a "marker" on their lounger(s) of choice, (for use at a later time)! :);):D

Hi I'm back.

If presenting an opinion which is not step-by-step in line with the solid core of posters on this board which see any change to the HAL they love as treason then I plead guilty to the charge of being "snarky". Even if I am not sure what the particular characteristics of the charge might entail. Of course, asserting this charge is a violation of CC code of conduct posting rules as comments are not supposed to be made on a personalized basis.

Now as to heart of the discussion: HAL decided to place more cabins on Veendam to generate more income by 1. bringing in direct revenue in cabin fares and 2. incrementally because these extra passengers spend for extras such as drinks, spas etc. 3. They decided that in order to do this they had to remove the aft pool.

In addition, they decided to create the Lanai cabins which also bring additional cabin revenue in and possibly attract more passengers who could not spring for a verandah but like the idea of being able to step out to the Promenade.

Now if the alternative is to generate more revenue or let the ship become financially inviable and be removed from service what would the choice of the seasoned HAL cruiser be? We don't have the actual numbers from the ship available do we to see if it is generating extra revenue? The idea on the surface seems to make sense.

However it appears that from reaction of the HAL posters and repeaters that they would prefer to pay increased fares to keep the S class ships sailing rather than have any changes made.

I for one applaud HAL for having made a decision to make a change and then having the courage to admit that they had in fact made an error in judgement. The last time I checked not every decision that people make in business is brilliant. Never forget the idea of New Coke.

DW to whom I have been married for 31 wonderful years and I, having been exposed to the HAL experience, eagerly look forward to our next trip.

We are tentatively planning for The Voyage of The Vikings for 2013. She does not seem to think that I am snarky in the least but a loving and caring husband and father. And in the end that's all that matters to me.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Again, if this is such a wonderful money maker for HAL then why not carry this to all their ships? I'm sure it ended up costing them well over what they will get back. I think the original remark you made was out of line. To express an opinion is one thing. Your rermark IMO was quite another.

Some may consider it a money maker and hence a good thing. We have no financial interest or emotional ties to HAL or any other cruise line.

We make it a point to avoid these 'converted' ships so our money goes elsewhere-usually to Princess or Celebrity.

One of these days can we expect to see a cruise ship that looks like a container vessel....with staterooms placed on top of most of the deck space and on top of each other?

It also depends on the specific cruise. Eurodam on Nov 12 has a large group with lots of speakers so a large chunk of people will be sitting in the meeting rooms rather than around the pool.

Generally I've always seen lounge chairs on the Lido deck, but the tables are what tend to fill up around 10:30 to 11am, heading towards lunchtime.

It also depends on the specific cruise. Eurodam on Nov 12 has a large group with lots of speakers so a large chunk of people will be sitting in the meeting rooms rather than around the pool.

Generally I've always seen lounge chairs on the Lido deck, but the tables are what tend to fill up around 10:30 to 11am, heading towards lunchtime.

That's the cruise we are on. Dh and I don't care about the tables. We are into lying in the sun by the pool or anywhere with a nice view of the ocean.

I've sailed on the Westerdam for two Caribbean cruises and have not had a problem getting a lounger at any time. As someone else mentioned, the chair may not have been on top of the pool, but it was fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived