MUTS was too much on Ruby!!

Dodger Blue

Just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Ruby Princess. It was the 12-day Mediterranean/Greek Island cruise from Sept. 15-Oct. 7. The itinerary was great and service was wonderful. I have only two complaints. This was our first time on the Ruby and I was surprised that it did not have an enclosed pool area. While the temperatures were moderate on the cruise, my wife and I have always enjoyed the covered pool area as a quiet and cool area to sit by the pool and read. Unfortunately, MUTS has made this quite impossible. It wasn't so much that the area was uncovered, but Movies Under the Stars has become Movies Under the SKY! MUTS was going night and day. And it wasn't just movies...it was rock concerts as well. Consequently you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone read a book. If it was restricted to evening hours as the name implies, I wouldn't have an issue. But the fact that it was all day long forced me to retreat indoors to find sanctuary. Skywalkers turned out to be that sanctuary, but I would like to have enjoyed the fresh air and close proximity to the Horizon Court that the pool area offers. I think Princess has blown it on this front. Very few people were actually watching MUTS during the day. And, the clientele on this ship really wasn't into hip hop concerts!

I am a bit confused by your comments. MUTS is only located at one pool, why didn't you find a chair in the fresh air at one of the other pools? We too don't enjoy MUTS during the day, but there are so many places to find a quite spot onboard. Even if MUTS wasn't there, a seat by the pool I personally would not consider a 'quiet' spot to read?????:confused:

I agree with the others about finding another pool. Lotus, aft pool etc.

Having said that, I agree with you about MUTS. The concept and installation of MUTS was a great idea, HOWEVER, just because it is good doesn't mean that more of it makes it better, i.e. "louder".

During the day, I have already posted on here, they should dampen the sound. It almost seems like a little war going on, MUTS is loud so the people on deck must talk louder to be heard. With this happening, they turn up the volume on MUTS, and of course the people then get louder until such time and everyone is screaming at each other just to be heard.

I do the same thing at home whenever I get a new sound system, until I remember what the real purpose of the sound system is for. Thus I turn down the volume to where it should be and all residual sound diminishes accordingly. Princess has yet to learn this lesson.

IMHO.

Simply telling me to go somewhere else isn't a solution.

I didn't know the Ruby had indoor pools? Where are they, please?

The aft pool is actually closer to the buffet than the MUTS pool, and that was what you indicated you liked.

Nobody is being disrespectful, just not understanding.

I didn't know the Ruby had indoor pools? Where are they, please?

The aft pool is actually closer to the buffet than the MUTS pool, and that was what you indicated you liked.

Nobody is being disrespectful, just not understanding.

Yes, I know they don't have an indoor pool...that was my original complaint. I said I was forced indoors to escape the noise...not to an indoor pool! And the aft pool was just as noisy...with very loud music. At that pool if they had a contrast to the noise MUTS was creating, say some mellow background music, I wouldn't have brought up the issue in the first place. This simply was the noisiest ship I've ever been on.

This simply was the noisiest ship I've ever been on.

Sorry you had a bad experience. We stayed on board (Ruby) while docked in Mexico, and I can verify that there's at least one Carnival ship that is much noisier. (Sitting next to the ship on my balcony while both of us docked.)

I know that doesn't help... but my experience on the Ruby was remarkable and I didn't have any issues with noise, unless specifically sitting by the MUTS pool.

I'm with the OP 100%. The pool area right next to the buffet is nice for enjoying lunch or reading on the ships with the covered pool area. it's proximity to the buffet is what I like about it and because it's covered and you're not in the sun, it's relatively easy to find a lounger. I hate having MUTS there, blasting with Wii games and other stuff with almost or no one watching. I don't do sun so telling me to use another pool area doesn't fly. :)

I curious. What did you think of the volume of the music in the show lounge?

We didn't go to any shows on this cruise, but in the past I haven't had any issue with the volume of the shows. I'm not quite sure what the significance of that is.

I'm with the OP 100%. The pool area right next to the buffet is nice for enjoying lunch or reading on the ships with the covered pool area. it's proximity to the buffet is what I like about it and because it's covered and you're not in the sun, it's relatively easy to find a lounger. I hate having MUTS there, blasting with Wii games and other stuff with almost or no one watching. I don't do sun so telling me to use another pool area doesn't fly. :)

I try and do as little sun as possible myself (just too fair skinned!). From what I've read on other posts, it sounds as if MUTS and covered pools are mutually exclusive...at least on the newer ships.

P.S. I live on the other side of the freeway from you in MV.

I'm not a fan of MUTS either, but I don't think it's going away...or decreasing anytime soon....especially since they've been retrofitting it onto Grand Class ships.

You mentioned loud music aft...we often found it quiet and sat outside Sabatini's reading in a shady spot. I wonder how they determine when to play music or have peace and quiet around the aft pool?

It's obviously not the buffet, but with the International Cafe nearby, the Promenade deck is a peaceful place with nearby snacks, etc. Though I wish the Grand class Promenade decks had the full-size steamer (lounge) chairs like the Sun class ships...instead of just folding chairs.

When I think of cruising, I always think of lying on a steamer chair on a Promenade deck watching the sunset.

Dodger Blue, my buddy/co-worker is a serious Dodger fan and thinks Sandy Koufax's birthday should be a national holiday. His wife wouldn't let him name their son Koufax, so he named their dog Koufax, LOL.

I wonder how they determine when to play music or have peace and quiet around the aft pool?

I'm wondering too. I'll find out in January. The aft pool is one of my favorite quiet areas; I don't recall much in the way of loud music there at all. Bonus was not many kids back there, either, and it's super close to the buffet. It's almost like having a private bar, too.

While I agree you can find other pools/locations I'm not a fan of MUTS during the day... and agree the volume is way too loud.

Again...it's just a preference and I prefer the Sanctuary... I want to get away from Media....Even here in town every restaurant thinks they need a tv to attract diners...:(

CC

Let me say that I loved the Ruby when we sailed on her. I have never been bothered by MUTS during the day and only go to a few movies in the evening. That said, this ship is so large that it would never even occur to me to sit around that particular space to read. I like the tons of open deck space and particularly the Promenade deck wooden chairs for reading and people watching. I have also spent a lot of time at AFT pool area and the Sanctuary.

When I really want peace and quiet and be out of the wind and sun, I love to relax on the balcony. Another great option.

I think that the posts here, for the most part, are a reaction to your complaint. It seems a bit trivial to me considering all of the other options available on this huge and beautiful ship.

I agree with the others about finding another pool. Lotus, aft pool etc.

Having said that, I agree with you about MUTS. The concept and installation of MUTS was a great idea, HOWEVER, just because it is good doesn't mean that more of it makes it better, i.e. "louder".

During the day, I have already posted on here, they should dampen the sound. It almost seems like a little war going on, MUTS is loud so the people on deck must talk louder to be heard. With this happening, they turn up the volume on MUTS, and of course the people then get louder until such time and everyone is screaming at each other just to be heard.

I do the same thing at home whenever I get a new sound system, until I remember what the real purpose of the sound system is for. Thus I turn down the volume to where it should be and all residual sound diminishes accordingly. Princess has yet to learn this lesson.

IMHO.

I agree complete.

I'm not a fan of MUTS either, but I don't think it's going away...or decreasing anytime soon....especially since they've been retrofitting it onto Grand Class ships.

You mentioned loud music aft...we often found it quiet and sat outside Sabatini's reading in a shady spot. I wonder how they determine when to play music or have peace and quiet around the aft pool?

It's obviously not the buffet, but with the International Cafe nearby, the Promenade deck is a peaceful place with nearby snacks, etc. Though I wish the Grand class Promenade decks had the full-size steamer (lounge) chairs like the Sun class ships...instead of just folding chairs.

When I think of cruising, I always think of lying on a steamer chair on a Promenade deck watching the sunset.

Dodger Blue, my buddy/co-worker is a serious Dodger fan and thinks Sandy Koufax's birthday should be a national holiday. His wife wouldn't let him name their son Koufax, so he named their dog Koufax, LOL.

We finally found a great quiet spot in Skywalkers. Nobody was up there during the day. However we really enjoy being able to read in the fresh air. Oh well. Great to know there are Dodger fans out there. I don't understand your buddy's wife though!! Koufax would have been a great name. I named my dog Fergie in the late seventies after catcher Joe Ferguson.

I'm sorry to hear that the aft pool had equally loud music. I love MUTS, but I don't go to the main pool during the day because it's too crowded and noisy just from people. I usually find shade somewhere else depending on the time of day. I have to say I love the promenade, but the newer ships have the narrow promenade and chairs only instead of chaise lounge chairs. Sometimes you can find space on the upper decks early or late on the shady side of the ship. You may have to move around. I do go to Skywalkers a lot and I enjoy my own balcony.

MUTS is one of our fears on our Jan cruise to the Carib..our first on Princess. Hoping we haven't made a mistake in assuming that we can escape the noise during the daytime hours. Could pretty much ruin any R&R my dh is looking for. We have no interest in having daytime entertainment of this kind. And we do want SUN, not some quiet corner in the shade.

We will most likely spend a couple of the port days onboard. Please tell me on port days they don't have the screen in use!

P.S. I live on the other side of the freeway from you in MV.
Hey, neighbor! :)

:)

MUTS is one of our fears on our Jan cruise to the Carib..our first on Princess. Hoping we haven't made a mistake in assuming that we can escape the noise during the daytime hours. Could pretty much ruin any R&R my dh is looking for. We have no interest in having daytime entertainment of this kind. And we do want SUN, not some quiet corner in the shade.

We will most likely spend a couple of the port days onboard. Please tell me on port days they don't have the screen in use!

yes they do have it on... but the sound does not carry into the other pool areas...(special technology sound system used) so you will have plenty of other "sunny" areas the sound doesn't carry over to....

Don't worry and enjoy...

CC

We didn't mind MUTS, but we were disappointed that the indoor pool was taken away. We too don't like sun, and on the Crown, Emerald, Ruby, the aft pool has a very narrow area, unlike on the Star, Golden, Sappire, so not much chance to put a lounger in the shade, in other words. The Lotus spa isa joke, as there are only a few spots for shady chairs, maybe 10? And the problem with the Ruby/Emerald/Crown is that at the main pool, the one by the burgers and pizza, the upper deck has been cut away more so that there were even fewer shady spots on the pool deck. My husband and I noticed that right away. We never were able to get shady spots on the the Emerald since it had 500 additional people AND since there were fewer shade spots to begin with.

Hi There

Never had any issues with noise at the aft pool, if I did I would have just ask for it to be turned down,

however the ship has the Santuary if you want quite,

Its a pity that there are no covered pools on the newer ships .

yours Shogun

Archived