MUTS was too much on Ruby!!

Dodger Blue

Love MUTS. It's over different pools depending on which ship you're on. Maybe if they would have been consistent and kept it over Neptune's Reef pool it would be better. That's where the pool games are and where the bands play so people there are probably more accustomed to the noise anyways.

Hi There

Never had any issues with noise at the aft pool, if I did I would have just ask for it to be turned down,

however the ship has the Santuary if you want quite,

Its a pity that there are no covered pools on the newer ships .

yours Shogun

Just thought I would let you know we changed our plans and are now going to be doing a b2b in Aug/Sept 2012, and we have a stop in Glasgow. You will probably be sailing but I thought I would mention it anyway. Maureen and Ed (meemeeC will also be on the cruise with us. The one we had booked just had to many of the ports we had already been to. This b2b has all new ports for us so we are really excited PLUS I get to sail home to NY, we only have to fly one way to Copenhagen. Anyway, hope all is well with you, how is puppy doing??? Say hi to Donna for us!!!

Marcy

I too am not a fan of MUTS because of the noise volume and the constant barage of that

"boom,boom" effect. It would be nice if Princess thought of the demographics of their cruisers and played the sound volume accordingly. When I was reading about the new Royal Princess it mentioned that it will have the largest MUTS screen, yikes! Our favorite

Ships are the ones with the indoor pool area where you can escape from the sun, MUTS, and

Inclimate weather. Wish they would build those types instead of the behemouths they are planning..3600 passengers. JMHO

Add my voice to those who find MUTS objectionable. On a recent Caribbean B2B aboard the Emerald Princess earlier this year, we had our first taste of MUTS and I must say, it left a very bad taste in my mouth. From early morning till God knows when at night it was blasted at ear splitting volume levels. (If this had been a Navy ship, hearing protection would have been required on deck.)

Normally, my wife and I like to avoid the din of calypso bands, etc., ect., around Neptune's reef by hanging out on the Promenade Deck when we want to enjoy the fresh sea breezes and the Skywalker's Lounge when we want a little solitude.

Unfortunately, Emerald's Promenade Deck is one in name only. There are no deck loungers because it is too narrow to do anything but sit bolt upright in a wooden chair and pray you don't get trampled by the hoards of joggers who claim they've been told by ships crew that that is the only place they can go for a nice run.

Anyone wanting to enjoy a relaxing stroll on deck during daylight hours is constantly harangued by joggers screaming "LEFT,LEFT,LEFT or RIGHT,RIGHT,RIGHT" depending on which direction they felt like running.

Finding a secluded spot to one's self in Skywalker's became increasingly difficult as more and more people discovered it as a place where they could "Escape" MUTS. Space at the Terrace Pool became virtually non-existent.

I began referring to it as MFTD . . . Movies For the Totally Deaf . . .and my wife suggested Princess change their motto from Escape Completely to "No Escape." We found ourselves taking convoluted routes to get places and deprived ourselves of pizza and/or burgers at lunch just to avoid it.

It is very unlikely that I would ever sail on the Emerald again. I'll be searching for itineraries that feature ships without MUTS in the future.

Yes, I know they don't have an indoor pool...that was my original complaint. I said I was forced indoors to escape the noise...not to an indoor pool! And the aft pool was just as noisy...with very loud music. At that pool if they had a contrast to the noise MUTS was creating, say some mellow background music, I wouldn't have brought up the issue in the first place. This simply was the noisiest ship I've ever been on.
Really now?? Surely you jest.:rolleyes: I find the "noise" level at MUTS just right, in fact the pool band area is usually louder.

Honestly, I think you may have a personal issue with any kind of noise...period. Aft pool noisy?? In all my years reading this board, you are the first to complain about the aft pool being noisy. The vast majority love that area and not once was there a discussion about too much noise at the aft pool.

MUTS is the worse thing to come out of cruising, hated it. We spent a lot of time on our balcony as the other pools were noisy too. Also we found it impossible to get a lounger after 7.30am except way up high in the wind.

We didn't go to any shows on this cruise, but in the past I haven't had any issue with the volume of the shows. I'm not quite sure what the significance of that is.

I dislike MUTS because of the base volume and think the volume of the speakers in the show lounge is also way to loud. I just wanted to know what you though about the volume during the shows. It's probably just me as I hate loud noised in general and haven't heard to many other complain.

I am a bit confused by your comments. MUTS is only located at one pool, why didn't you find a chair in the fresh air at one of the other pools? We too don't enjoy MUTS during the day, but there are so many places to find a quite spot onboard. Even if MUTS wasn't there, a seat by the pool I personally would not consider a 'quiet' spot to read?????:confused:

That was my impression too when I read the OP's comments.

Srpilo

I'm not a fan of MUTS either, but I don't think it's going away...or decreasing anytime soon....especially since they've been retrofitting it onto Grand Class ships.

You mentioned loud music aft...we often found it quiet and sat outside Sabatini's reading in a shady spot. I wonder how they determine when to play music or have peace and quiet around the aft pool?

It's obviously not the buffet, but with the International Cafe nearby, the Promenade deck is a peaceful place with nearby snacks, etc. Though I wish the Grand class Promenade decks had the full-size steamer (lounge) chairs like the Sun class ships...instead of just folding chairs.

When I think of cruising, I always think of lying on a steamer chair on a Promenade deck watching the sunset.

Dodger Blue, my buddy/co-worker is a serious Dodger fan and thinks Sandy Koufax's birthday should be a national holiday. His wife wouldn't let him name their son Koufax, so he named their dog Koufax, LOL.

The problem with MUTS on the Emerald last year was not which pool it was at, it was the sound system which you could hear very loudly no matter where you went, even if you could not see the screen. The Promenade deck was not an option, as it was very narrow and only had very few upright folding chairs, no loungers The only place to go was inside for any kind of peace and quiet. I don't really see why it must play the entire time at that volume. Our favorite ship was always the Sapphire which hasn't got any of that, until next year. Not looking forward to that.

MUTS s not just loud, it is outrageous. It must have been implemented to disperse passengers throughout the ship so they all do not congregate around the pool and in saving lounge chairs.

But having spent the fortune on the equipment even though without proper customer reaction evaluation, they will pump it out until it is totally written off. Can't wait for the economy to complete it's cycle where Princess will be more interested in what their passenger would like as apposed to what their marketing sand box group says we must have.

Others have said it better. There are three other distinct pool areas and even and adults only pool area on that class of ship. What makes the Ruby (as well as its sister ships) a great ship are the different venues on the ship. There are so many choices. If you hate the Calypso pool and its movie screen, all you have to do is find a pool with music, a more secluded AFT pool, or even the adults only pool.

As far as covered pools go, there really isn't a need on the Ruby since, for the most part, it is in the Caribbean from October through April and the Mediterranean from May through September. There may be a couple of weeks in May and October when a covered pool would work well. But for most of the sailing calendar, the set up with the pools works.

Most times I remember to bring earplugs but sometimes I have to resort to tissues. They obviously think louder is always better. :eek:

We also bring ear plugs for the shows in the Princess Theater. I have written complaints for a few years about the excessively loud volume, but it apparently falls on Deaf ears!

I have asked some of the people sitting around us about what they thought about the volume level of the shows and they have said things like “It hurt my ears”.

I'm with the OP 100%. The pool area right next to the buffet is nice for enjoying lunch or reading on the ships with the covered pool area. it's proximity to the buffet is what I like about it and because it's covered and you're not in the sun, it's relatively easy to find a lounger. I hate having MUTS there, blasting with Wii games and other stuff with almost or no one watching. I don't do sun so telling me to use another pool area doesn't fly. :)

I do sun but I definitely agree with you and the OP. I don't like MUTS - I do like the covered pool area outside of the Horizon that the Sapphire has. It's a nice alternative to being out in the sun. And, in the case of the Sapphire sometimes the only warm pool area when coming back to California on the last day

MUTS is one of our fears on our Jan cruise to the Carib..our first on Princess. Hoping we haven't made a mistake in assuming that we can escape the noise during the daytime hours. Could pretty much ruin any R&R my dh is looking for. We have no interest in having daytime entertainment of this kind. And we do want SUN, not some quiet corner in the shade.

We will most likely spend a couple of the port days onboard. Please tell me on port days they don't have the screen in use!

I'm not a fan of MUTS. However, when we sailed the Crown we didn't hear noise from MUTS at the other pool areas. The main calypso pool area has music both live and on the "radio" so to speak.

I agree, MUTS should be reserved for the evening. We went several times on the Ruby to watch the movies and I LOVED snuggling on the lounge chairs with our cute plaid bankies and pop corn and hot cocoa or a latte!

I am very sensitive to loud volumes, but I didn't think MUTS was overly loud!

I barely noticed MUTS during the day (was it even on??). DH and I lounged by the pool, read, ate cookies and milk....it was lovely! :)

I firmly believe that it's so annoying not so much due to absolute volume but because dialogue and random snatches of sound effects sound louder and are much harder to tune out than just constant music.

I actually would prefer having sports on MUTS to movies during the day -- well, not stuff like Nascar or wrestling, of course, but normal sports like football or baseball or tennis. Golf would be relaxing, too, what with all those hushed voices . . .

Now... having read all the posts and had my say earlier, I would just add this.....

On our next cruise (Golden to Hawaii) we will be at sea on SuperBowl Sunday. I can hardly wait to watch it on MUTS. Even better, being Canadian, I will get to see all those new commercials they come out with just for the game. In Canada we don't get to see them as Canadian Advertising takes over during the breaks.

Bring it on for the game ... Then please turn it off till the stars come out, as the name suggests.

I also agree with the OP. I wish it was only on at nights.

Definitely an issue on both our cruise on Ruby and our cruise on Emerald. If there are 4 pools, then the loud music or movie playing inhibit roughly 1/4 of the pool space. (actually more because there is more lounging space around the Calypso pool than the Lotus pool or Rear pool). MUTS beats RCCL's movies, even their new ones on the pool deck, but during the day, I'd certainly like them muted or turned off entirely.

We also bring ear plugs for the shows in the Princess Theater. I have written complaints for a few years about the excessively loud volume, but it apparently falls on Deaf ears!

I have asked some of the people sitting around us about what they thought about the volume level of the shows and they have said things like “It hurt my ears”.

Someone a while back brought a sound level meter to check the volume in the show lounge and got db readings in the high 90's.

Archived