MUTS was too much on Ruby!!

Dodger Blue

I suspect the Cruise Director has a great say in the sound level as well as what is being shown on MUTS.

The sound level in the MUTS area on the Star Princess this spring, at least before concerts and movies were shown, was low. Before the first concert or movie of the day there would be images of tropical fish on the screen and restful music. During the concerts and movies, I found the sound level to be from fine to loud.

I agree with the OP, we had a problem with MUTS on the Crown this summer, it was so loud that we could even hear it in our room even with the doors to the balcony shut. It took alot of effort and numerous complaints to the passenger services desk to get the sound reduced we were told that the cruise director decides on the volume level for MUTS. We have written to Princess to complain about this.

I found the screen too hard to see during the day, so I really don't know why they bother. Mind you, that didn't stop me from watching a movie in the afternoon one day on our last cruise - there were a lot of others watching it too, but that might have more because of the movie (Angelina Jolie film) than anything else.

That's one of the reasons why I like having a balcony stateroom, its a nice, quiet place to sit and read (and it keeps me away from the buffet and the pizza bar ;)).

I know that doesn't solve the problem, but you might want to send an email to Princess and let them know how you feel about it.

We must reluctantly agree with much of what was said by the OP. DW and I (both Elite on Princess) love to lay out in a deck chair and read during most sea days. MUTS has made this next to impossible at the main pool area which happens to be the largest and best sheltered outdoor area on most of the Princess ship designs. The aft pool is sometimes a decent alternative, but this pool can often get buffeted by winds and will often get very crowded (as many rush to escape MUTS and the noise at the main pool deck). We just returned (2 days ago) from a 14 day Celebrity cruise where the pool decks are relatively peaceful places, there are few PA annoucements (usually only once during the daytime at noon) and must admit that the difference from the oft too noisy decks of Princess was quite noticeable. We are somewhat puzzled as to the changes in MUTS since its welcome introduction. Originally, it was called "Movies Under the Stars" for a reason (outdoor movies at night). They did sometimes have videos during the day that were sometimes accompanied by pleasant music. On at least one ship they tried movies during the day and issued private ear phones that received sound through a radio system (other passengers heard nothing) but this idea quickly was replaced by simply blaring sound out the main speakers. On many sea days anyone at the pool is now forced to listen to the sound of daytime children's movies, football games, baseball, etc. When you add the numerous PA annoucments, often heard on Princess ships, it is making the daytime experience more like a carnival then a relaxing cruise. Of course this type atmosphere does suit many passengers, but there are also many of us who want to run and hide from carnivals. MUTS now takes away more then half the outdoor deck space from folks that just want some peace and quiet. For us, it has simply meant more cruises on Celebrity and HA.

Hank

One last comment from the OP....I'm encouraged that the majority of posts agreed with my original comments about MUTS. I hope that Princess reads these posts and reacts accordingly. I'm not asking that they eliminate it, just be more judicious in how they use it. Play it as it was originally intended...under the STARS! And, even then, they ought to turn the volume down a bit. It's easier to hear at night when there isn't as much ambient noise. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

One last comment from the OP....I'm encouraged that the majority of posts agreed with my original comments about MUTS. I hope that Princess reads these posts and reacts accordingly. I'm not asking that they eliminate it, just be more judicious in how they use it. Play it as it was originally intended...under the STARS! And, even then, they ought to turn the volume down a bit. It's easier to hear at night when there isn't as much ambient noise. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Well it's obvious they have been reading any negative comments about the irritating MUTS volume. People have been complaining about it for years and still it persists. Same thing for the volume in the show lounge.

Maybe they consider the age of their typical cruiser & figure there mostly hard of hearing & try to compensate for it. :rolleyes:

Now... having read all the posts and had my say earlier, I would just add this.....

On our next cruise (Golden to Hawaii) we will be at sea on SuperBowl Sunday. I can hardly wait to watch it on MUTS. Even better, being Canadian, I will get to see all those new commercials they come out with just for the game. In Canada we don't get to see them as Canadian Advertising takes over during the breaks.

Bring it on for the game ... Then please turn it off till the stars come out, as the name suggests.

Lucky!! I would love to watch the Super Bowl on a big MUTS screen!

Enjoy!

So your policy suggestion is ON when it's nice for you and OFF when it's not nice for you?

Interesting.

Well, the Super Bowl doesn't start until after 6:30 pm. I think Wilfros was really complaining about Noon to 5 pm.

Alternatively, MUTS could have a dual meaning of Movies Under the Sun.

To be fair, I don't remember anything being played until the afternoon and the place was very quiet during the morning. On one cruise, when there was a movie I wasn't interested in, I just put in my earbuds and listened to music. I was too lazy to move. ;) I think I did enjoy watching The Bucket List on the Crown a couple of summers ago. If they want to compromise by showing just one matinee at around 2:30 pm, that might please the many. But there would still be complaints by those who don't want anything going on in that area during the day.

Add my voice to those who find MUTS objectionable. On a recent Caribbean B2B aboard the Emerald Princess earlier this year, we had our first taste of MUTS and I must say, it left a very bad taste in my mouth. From early morning till God knows when at night it was blasted at ear splitting volume levels. (If this had been a Navy ship, hearing protection would have been required on deck.)

Normally, my wife and I like to avoid the din of calypso bands, etc., ect., around Neptune's reef by hanging out on the Promenade Deck when we want to enjoy the fresh sea breezes and the Skywalker's Lounge when we want a little solitude.

Unfortunately, Emerald's Promenade Deck is one in name only. There are no deck loungers because it is too narrow to do anything but sit bolt upright in a wooden chair and pray you don't get trampled by the hoards of joggers who claim they've been told by ships crew that that is the only place they can go for a nice run.

Anyone wanting to enjoy a relaxing stroll on deck during daylight hours is constantly harangued by joggers screaming "LEFT,LEFT,LEFT or RIGHT,RIGHT,RIGHT" depending on which direction they felt like running.

Finding a secluded spot to one's self in Skywalker's became increasingly difficult as more and more people discovered it as a place where they could "Escape" MUTS. Space at the Terrace Pool became virtually non-existent.

I began referring to it as MFTD . . . Movies For the Totally Deaf . . .and my wife suggested Princess change their motto from Escape Completely to "No Escape." We found ourselves taking convoluted routes to get places and deprived ourselves of pizza and/or burgers at lunch just to avoid it.

It is very unlikely that I would ever sail on the Emerald again. I'll be searching for itineraries that feature ships without MUTS in the future.

Haha love that

Totally agree. It wasn't easy to find a quiet spot since I think it annoyed many others. Our balcony was off limits due to chain smokers next door glued to their loungers. We haven't been on Princess since.

Hi There

Never had any issues with noise at the aft pool, if I did I would have just ask for it to be turned down,

however the ship has the Santuary if you want quite,

Its a pity that there are no covered pools on the newer ships .

yours Shogun

The aft pool area is small and always crowded. The sanctuary is $20 per person per day. Cruises that are advertised for being relaxing should have more than pay or we blast you off the boat.

I try and do as little sun as possible myself (just too fair skinned!). From what I've read on other posts, it sounds as if MUTS and covered pools are mutually exclusive...at least on the newer ships.

P.S. I live on the other side of the freeway from you in MV.

I used to live on the side of the freeway in MV too!! Off Avery by the college! Opps sorry to be off topic :)

So your policy suggestion is ON when it's nice for you and OFF when it's not nice for you?

Interesting.

I must be honest here.... Yes!!! I guess that is exactly what I was saying. I guess I am two faced :o

Well, the Super Bowl doesn't start until after 6:30 pm. I think Wilfros was really complaining about Noon to 5 pm.

Thanks for trying to help me hubofhockey, I wish you were correct as it would have gotten me out of this sticky spot I created for myself. HOWEVER... in keeping with my honesty policy.... I must state.... being one day out of Hilo Hawaii, I believe SuperBowl starts at about 1pm (time change). So I get to watch and then dine! So, Alas, it still makes me two faced! :mad:

BTW: just because of your name, Go Sens Go. LOL

...only if you consider George Michael great stuff!!!:p

George Michael is from the 80's...and he isn't the worst musician that the 80's produced..there are many worse than him...

I am hoping for 70's stuff and Italian concerts as we are on a Med cruise..and great movies like they did on the CCL Freedom Med itin.....Tuscan Sun...Gladiator...Bees Gees ...Manilow....

you know..the way smart management operates....playing stuff that will agree with their core demographic on any particular sailing...

and don't kid yourself...the core age of a Med cruise is pax in their 50's...traveling with family..teens..college kids..or as a new empty nester couple...

Look closly next time.....and this I post from experience on a Med cruise...

and please don't confuse the term Core Demographic...with majority...Core demographic refers to the pocketbook...and I would bet that 50 somethings are spending a lot more than seniors..or young couples.

I must be honest here.... Yes!!! I guess that is exactly what I was saying. I guess I am two faced :o

Nah... just human. We all have moments where we think, "this ______ would be perfect if ______."

It's just that someone else always feels the exact opposite way.

I've not been on a cruise where it was so loud I couldn't hear myself think; and never heard it at any of the other 3 pools, so I think a fair compromise would be to turn the volume at that level.

I'd second the nomination to do away with concerts, too. It always seemed to me the pool area got more empty when showing a Lady Gaga concert, or whatever. :)

Now... having read all the posts and had my say earlier, I would just add this.....

On our next cruise (Golden to Hawaii) we will be at sea on SuperBowl Sunday. I can hardly wait to watch it on MUTS. Even better, being Canadian, I will get to see all those new commercials they come out with just for the game. In Canada we don't get to see them as Canadian Advertising takes over during the breaks.

Bring it on for the game ... Then please turn it off till the stars come out, as the name suggests.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but they don't show the commercials on MUTS. I don't think they come along with the satellite feed of any of the live sporting events. Bummer. However, the good news is that you'll be spared those insipid GoDaddy commercials, which somehow manage to make prurience seem boring and banal.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but they don't show the commercials on MUTS. I don't think they come along with the satellite feed of any of the live sporting events. Bummer. However, the good news is that you'll be spared those insipid GoDaddy commercials, which somehow manage to make prurience seem boring and banal.

We got Royal Caribbean Promo Commercials for Allure on Ruby during Monday Night Football ...i was killing myself laughing. I think for the football you may get them.

We got Royal Caribbean Promo Commercials for Allure on Ruby during Monday Night Football ...i was killing myself laughing. I think for the football you may get them.

Well ... That's a downer! I have never seen a SuperBowl with the US Ads but have heard so much about them. That was the highlight.

THAT'S IT!!!!! Turn off MUTS, I'll watch the game in my cabin! :D

Thanks for trying to help me hubofhockey, I wish you were correct as it would have gotten me out of this sticky spot I created for myself. HOWEVER... in keeping with my honesty policy.... I must state.... being one day out of Hilo Hawaii, I believe SuperBowl starts at about 1pm (time change). So I get to watch and then dine! So, Alas, it still makes me two faced! :mad:

BTW: just because of your name, Go Sens Go. LOL

I back up all hockey fans, even Canadiens fans. :D

Of course, they are going to show EVENTS (capitalization for emphasis) on the big screen. Unfortunately, on my Ruby Med cruise last year, they considered all World Cup games to be EVENTS. While it appealed to the many European passengers, it froze many Americans out. The Euros packed the pool deck and were probably purchasing their fair share of libations at the poolisde bars. My guess is that Super Bowls will always be on MUTS and Princess will make a few dollars on a big Super Bowl party.

Archived