Question about UPSELLS

regnig

We have never been offered an upsell. We use a different TA each time (whoever has the best price) so have never established a relationship with a single agent. Perhaps that is the reason?

I really don't think that has anything to do with it. We've only gotten one upsell offer in all of our cruises, most with the same TA. The one we got was no bargain and actually was the full fare difference between our B category and an S category. For that cruise the difference was $1,999 per person so taking the offer would have cost us nearly $4,000. I'll have to admit after hearing here all the wonderful offers I actually asked the TA to check to see if it was a mistake. It wasn't and I counter offered $999 per person. It was a 14-day cruise and that was my level of tolerance. HAL didn't accept and we sailed in our original B category cabin. I shared this offer here once before and was asked since it was so high did I or my TA initiate the contact with HAL for an upsell. The answer is HAL initiated the offer, neither my TA or I had asked.

The other thing to consider is what category are you in to start with. We book S category cabins so there's really only the PS to be offered but used to book B or SS categories. The higher up you are in category the fewer category cabins above you so the offers are going to be fewer.

How far before a cruise do they offer upsells? We booked directly with HAL so don't have a "TA" we are working with to call. Just wondering when a good time to call about it would be. We have got a bit better cabin upgrade, because we called when we noticed the price had gone down.

I see no reason to call. If an upsell is available, they will contact you. If you contact them you are likely to be quoted the difference between your category and the one you want at brochure rate which often happens, then folks post here that the upsell was outrageously high when in reality it was not an official upsell, but a price quote for moving from one category to another. The key in a true upsell is that either HAL or your TA contact you about changing for a price. You cannot trigger an upsell with a call. You can find out if one is available but seems to me that if there was one for your category, they would contact you first. It's important to be clear on this, calling HAL and asking how $$ to move from let's say and inside to an outside and getting that price is not an upsell. That's a paid move paying the different from full brochure rate. If you are going to call HAL, make sure to ask if there are any upsell deals being offered currently for your sailing. Then the conversation with HAL is clear to the person on the other end. But back to my original statement, I think there is no need to call, if they want to make an offer, they will contact you.

I see no reason to call. If an upsell is available, they will contact you. The key in a true upsell is that either HAL or your TA contact you about changing for a price. You cannot trigger an upsell with a call. You can find out if one is available but seems to me that if there was one for your category, they would contact you first. But back to my original statement, I think there is no need to call, if they want to make an offer, they will contact you.

I concur with 1cruiselvr in their statement. Upsells are offered at various times prior to sailings and when offered, blanket emails are sent out to anyone that may qualify for it. Check your email on a regular basis as that is where you are going to get the offer--and it is on a first come, first serve basis. Timing is everything with these offers.

How far before a cruise do they offer upsells? We booked directly with HAL so don't have a "TA" we are working with to call. .

We have received offers several weeks out and one offer two days before the second half of a back to back while we were aboard the ship. There is no way to predict timing on these offers as there are many factors involved.

Do you have the same cabin for both legs of the cruise? If you do you will NOT be offered any kind of Upsell offer. The chance of finding a cabin in a higher category that is available for both voyages is nill to slim. If you are willing to move cabins between sailings then you can contact HAL to see if they are offering anything or contact your TA to call HAL.

Thanks, I do understand this & my T/A has my booking tagged accordingly.

Right now we have a G Guarantee for the first 28 days & a HH Guarantee for the second 30 day.

My question was not on our chances of being offered an upsell but rather on how we would be contacted if one was coming for our second 30 day leg, since we will already be aboard & far far from home.

I know it is usually done by e-mail & we will have a netbook. However, as you know, wi-fi access is expensive while aboard & port days are often 2-3 days apart so access while ashore will be sporadic.

I am looking for advice/suggestions on how to not miss a possible upsell offer for our second leg if it comes.

We have received offers several weeks out and one offer two days before the second half of a back to back while we were aboard the ship. There is no way to predict timing on these offers as there are many factors involved.

How did you receive the offer while aboard?

blanket emails are sent out to anyone that may qualify for it. Check your email on a regular basis as that is where you are going to get the offer--and it is on a first come, first serve basis. Timing is everything with these offers.

I have to say I don't think that is true. I think they get sent out to a limited amount of people not everyone in a certain catagory. I've been on cruises were I was booked in the same category as others and they received an upsell offer and I didn't. I'm wondering if these go out to people that HAL is trying to court ie people that go on fewer cruises with some/no loyalty. This is just a guess on my part. I think for the higher star mariners they might think they already have us in the bag.

Thanks, I do understand this & my T/A has my booking tagged accordingly.

Right now we have a G Guarantee for the first 28 days & a HH Guarantee for the second 30 day.

My question was not on our chances of being offered an upsell but rather on how we would be contacted if one was coming for our second 30 day leg, since we will already be aboard & far far from home.

I know it is usually done by e-mail & we will have a netbook. However, as you know, wi-fi access is expensive while aboard & port days are often 2-3 days apart so access while ashore will be sporadic.

I am looking for advice/suggestions on how to not miss a possible upsell offer for our second leg if it comes.

I believe your travel agent will receive any emails from HAL regarding upsells, why not authorize them to either accept on your behalf or contact you on board? I have found that dealing with HAL directly works best for us. We have used any number of travel agents from a number of agencies and there has always been some time delay. So we have decided to bypass the 'middle man' and book thru HAL.

I have to say I don't think that is true. I think they get sent out to a limited amount of people not everyone in a certain catagory. I've been on cruises were I was booked in the same category as others and they received an upsell offer and I didn't.

Perhaps, you are correct. What I have discovered is that when we started booking directly with HAL, the emails regarding upsells increased. Perhaps they were not offered on prior voyages, perhaps that were not offered to us or perhaps, by the time the travel agent read them, it did not make sense to forward---I really don't know! I have not really paid attention to this as we are not looking for upsells/upgrades.

I have to say I don't think that is true. I think they get sent out to a limited amount of people not everyone in a certain catagory. I've been on cruises were I was booked in the same category as others and they received an upsell offer and I didn't. I'm wondering if these go out to people that HAL is trying to court ie people that go on fewer cruises with some/no loyalty. This is just a guess on my part. I think for the higher star mariners they might think they already have us in the bag.

Perhaps, you are correct. What I have discovered is that when we started booking directly with HAL, the emails regarding upsells increased. Perhaps they were not offered on prior voyages, perhaps that were not offered to us or perhaps, by the time the travel agent read them, it did not make sense to forward---I really don't know! I have not really paid attention to this as we are not looking for upsells/upgrades.

OK first off it makes absolutely NO difference if you are booked with HAL or if you are booked with a TA. HAL does NOT send out the email based on if they want to "Court" them. It really is based on availability and what YOU have placed for requests on your booking. Example if you are in any Guarantee category you will be automatically sent the mass email that is sent out if there is going to be an upgrade to the next level of cabins. Inside to Ocean View, Ocean View to Balcony, Balcony to Superior Verandah Suites, and Superior Verandah Suites to Deluxe Verandah Suites. If you have a cabin assignment and you are linked with others cruising, they call this having a TWID I.D. which links you together for dining none of you will receive this mass upgrade offer even if some have a guarantee or at least with the first offers;) Also if you have you cabin marked Do Not Upgrade you also will not receive the first offer unless you or your TA has contacted the Revenue department that you want to be offered Up Sell offers. Then sometimes and this does happen frequently they just cannot get enough passengers to move and they need to get the higher cabins filled they then will send out a MASS email even if you have do not upgrade and are linked with others. But this happens in the seccond wave of offers.

No one is treated special or courted it is all about knowing the system and either having a TA that knows how it works or dealing with someone at HAL that also knows how it works. Your best bet to always get an offer is to book a guarantee. Also most all the offers happen on Vista Class and Signature Class. They do not happen as often on S and R class ships and if they do it is more often Inside going to Ocean View and not nearly as often as Verandah Suites going to Deluxe Verandah Suites. So if you book the S and R Class ships do NOT being expecting the Up Sell offers because they just plain do not happen nearlty as often.

:It is possible. This is my fifth cruise but my first with HAL I had a VH guarantee for my cruise coming up and they upgraded me to a VB. I am feeling well disposed towards HAL, I'm 48, my guess is they are hoping to get me as a regular. As my real interest in cruising is using it as a hotel/transport to get to places I haven't been (I am NOT nostalgic for the days of Titanic) they may be in for a disappointment, but they may be content to be the first place I look.

I believe your travel agent will receive any emails from HAL regarding upsells, why not authorize them to either accept on your behalf or contact you on board? I have found that dealing with HAL directly works best for us. We have used any number of travel agents from a number of agencies and there has always been some time delay. So we have decided to bypass the 'middle man' and book thru HAL.

That is what I am setting up right now.

I spoke to my T/A & she suggested I leave instructions with her on exactly how much I am willing to spend to move to particular categories if they are offered as an upsell.

This is not ideal, but as I see it right now the only option I have.

I will check my e-mails as much as possible but I do not want to miss out on an offer. From what I have heard, HAL wants an answer ASAP or they will move on to next in line.

OK first off it makes absolutely NO difference if you are booked with HAL or if you are booked with a TA. HAL does NOT send out the email based on if they want to "Court" them. It really is based on availability and what YOU have placed for requests on your booking. Example if you are in any Guarantee category you will be automatically sent the mass email that is sent out if there is going to be an upgrade to the next level of cabins. Inside to Ocean View, Ocean View to Balcony, Balcony to Superior Verandah Suites, and Superior Verandah Suites to Deluxe Verandah Suites. If you have a cabin assignment and you are linked with others cruising, they call this having a TWID I.D. which links you together for dining none of you will receive this mass upgrade offer even if some have a guarantee or at least with the first offers;) Also if you have you cabin marked Do Not Upgrade you also will not receive the first offer unless you or your TA has contacted the Revenue department that you want to be offered Up Sell offers. Then sometimes and this does happen frequently they just cannot get enough passengers to move and they need to get the higher cabins filled they then will send out a MASS email even if you have do not upgrade and are linked with others. But this happens in the seccond wave of offers.

No one is treated special or courted it is all about knowing the system and either having a TA that knows how it works or dealing with someone at HAL that also knows how it works. Your best bet to always get an offer is to book a guarantee. Also most all the offers happen on Vista Class and Signature Class. They do not happen as often on S and R class ships and if they do it is more often Inside going to Ocean View and not nearly as often as Verandah Suites going to Deluxe Verandah Suites. So if you book the S and R Class ships do NOT being expecting the Up Sell offers because they just plain do not happen nearlty as often.

Excellent info!

Lisa, I book guarantees 99.9% of the time and generally I'm not linked to others. I'm just speaking of what has happened to me persoanally. This is my perspective. Clearly you see a larger cross section then I do so I'm just speaking of my experience.

Lisa, I book guarantees 99.9% of the time and generally I'm not linked to others. I'm just speaking of what has happened to me persoanally. This is my perspective. Clearly you see a larger cross section then I do so I'm just speaking of my experience.

Chances are that when you did book a guarantee and were not linked with someone else that means that there just plain were not any upgrade offers at all. Not every sailing offers upsells. It may very well be the category above you over sold which does happen and there would be no way to make you an offer.

For some reason here on the HAL board many have come to the conclusion that Upsells are something that happens for every cruise and they definitely do not. There are some sailings that are just plain sold out prior to the cruise. It really depends on how many guarantees are sold in the category above you.

I see no reason to call. If an upsell is available, they will contact you. If you contact them you are likely to be quoted the difference between your category and the one you want at brochure rate which often happens, then folks post here that the upsell was outrageously high when in reality it was not an official upsell, but a price quote for moving from one category to another. The key in a true upsell is that either HAL or your TA contact you about changing for a price. You cannot trigger an upsell with a call. You can find out if one is available but seems to me that if there was one for your category, they would contact you first. It's important to be clear on this, calling HAL and asking how $$ to move from let's say and inside to an outside and getting that price is not an upsell. That's a paid move paying the different from full brochure rate. If you are going to call HAL, make sure to ask if there are any upsell deals being offered currently for your sailing. Then the conversation with HAL is clear to the person on the other end. But back to my original statement, I think there is no need to call, if they want to make an offer, they will contact you.

Outrageously High?

It's easy to forget in the scramble for free upgrades and low cost upsells that there are actually people who book and pay for every category cabin on the ship. Many of us pay what is asked so...... to turn it around, it might sometimes seem outrageous that HAL offers an upsell to a "S" cabin for $199.

Yes, I get it. No one makes anyone book any cabin at any price they don't want but every now and then, it doesn't hurt to remember it's a marketing game and the goal is fill the ship for the highest revenue possible. Some of us pay 'full boat'. :rolleyes: ....by personal choice for all the 'known' reasons.

OK first off it makes absolutely NO difference if you are booked with HAL or if you are booked with a TA. HAL does NOT send out the email based on if they want to "Court" them. It really is based on availability and what YOU have placed for requests on your booking. Example if you are in any Guarantee category you will be automatically sent the mass email that is sent out if there is going to be an upgrade to the next level of cabins. Inside to Ocean View, Ocean View to Balcony, Balcony to Superior Verandah Suites, and Superior Verandah Suites to Deluxe Verandah Suites. offers. Then sometimes and this does happen frequently they just cannot get enough passengers to move and they need to get the higher cabins filled they then will send out a MASS email even if you have do not upgrade and are linked with others. But this happens in the second wave of offers.

No one is treated special or courted it is all about knowing the system and either having a TA that knows how it works or dealing with someone at HAL that also knows how it works. Your best bet to always get an offer is to book a guarantee. Also most all the offers happen on Vista Class and Signature Class. They do not happen as often on S and R class ships and if they do it is more often Inside going to Ocean View and not nearly as often as Verandah Suites going to Deluxe Verandah Suites. So if you book the S and R Class ships do NOT being expecting the Up Sell offers because they just plain do not happen nearly as often.

On my last Alaska trip on a S class ship I booked directly with HAL at the lowest rate, guarantee. Ten days before sailing I received an email "Limited Upgrade offer notification" . Luckily I opened the attachment which contained a "preferred limited upgrade special" which contained a great offer.

Lisa and anyone else, do you know if these offers are passed on quickly if you have booked through a TA? The Alaska offer said first come, first served, so I called HAL immediately.

On my last Alaska trip on a S class ship I booked directly with HAL at the lowest rate, guarantee. Ten days before sailing I received an email "Limited Upgrade offer notification" . Luckily I opened the attachment which contained a "preferred limited upgrade special" which contained a great offer.

Lisa and anyone else, do you know if these offers are passed on quickly if you have booked through a TA? The Alaska offer said first come, first served, so I called HAL immediately.

The answer to that question varies sailing to sailing. I have seen where the Alaska North Bound and South Bound voyages get far more offers for up sells and often the offer comes out several times and are not always cheaper ;) mostly because there tends to be two different types of cruisers on these ( not to say this is the way for everyone but it is more of a trend) The majority are either those on cruise tours or are those that booked because this cruise was far cheaper than a round trip Alaska. Those looking for a cheaper Alaska cruise are not always the ones that will even pay $49 PP to upgrade from a Inside to an Ocean View. I have seen many turn down the offer. But for the most part the sailings that are North and South Bound Alaska do not always sell out especially those in May and those in September so for those sailing the offers to upsell are plentiful. Which is the only time you frequently see S and R class with upsells. The other sailings that tended to get a few more offers this past year was the Veendam for Burmuda because HAL was having a bit of trouble filling that ship. I saw many turn down the offer for this as well only to get a free upgrade at the pier :rolleyes:

Outrageously High?

It's easy to forget in the scramble for free upgrades and low cost upsells that there are actually people who book and pay for every category cabin on the ship. Many of us pay what is asked so...... to turn it around, it might sometimes seem outrageous that HAL offers an upsell to a "S" cabin for $199.

Yes, I get it. No one makes anyone book any cabin at any price they don't want but every now and then, it doesn't hurt to remember it's a marketing game and the goal is fill the ship for the highest revenue possible. Some of us pay 'full boat'. :rolleyes: ....by personal choice for all the 'known' reasons.

I understand your point. When I said outrageously high, I meant the person that called and got brochure rate pricing, thought it was outrageously high in comparison to a figure they had in their head as to what the upsell would be (of course, it would vary depending on what a person considers a great upsell price).

If I didn't make my point clear, I was trying to say that some people use the word upsell when really what they got was a price difference for the category change at full fare. There was no upsell offered made. You can call the cruise and ask how much to go from category X to category Z and they will quote you a price. That's not an upsell.

I think people get a false sense of how often upsells are offered on a cruise. They think every cruise has them and every pax (except them of course, darn how did they miss that opportunity) gets an offer.

Sorry I missed your question.... if you are linked with another couple even if they are the same category neither of you will receive from HAL or your TA an upgrade offer. It has nothing to do with the No UpGrade but rather that you are linked with another party. Don't ask me why it is one of HAL's silly rules but there is no reason if your TA wants to contact the department that handles the upsells to see if they are offering anything. It is actually a timing issue and knowing when these offers are going to happen ;)

That not correct. We were linked with a friends booking last year, and we both got upgrade offers, from an oceanview on main deck to a Superior verandah on the Verandah deck. for $140 pp. Me and DH took it, the friends did not.

That not correct. We were linked with a friends booking last year, and we both got upgrade offers, from an oceanview on main deck to a Superior verandah on the Verandah deck. for $140 pp. Me and DH took it, the friends did not.

You most likely were in the second or third round of offers, it is only in the first round of offers that those linked do not get the email. I am sorry if I did not make that clear. I have seen sailings that they badly wanted people to move that I received 4 email offers then a 5th email offer because because the category they were in was oversold and not enough passengers took the up sell so the next offerr was a move over to another sailing offer.

Archived