Question about UPSELLS

regnig

Would one of you HAL experts please explain HAL’s “upsell” procedure/policy/offering to me? As an experienced Princess cruiser I’m familiar with free upgrades and rooms booked as a guaranteed category where an upgraded category is assigned but since Princess does not do “upsells” I haven’t a clue as to how they work. :confused:

Thanks in advance! :D

An upsell is when HAL offers to promote you (don't want to use the "u" word to keep it simple) to a better cabin for some, usually reduced (over the normal fare difference) fare.

For example, you are in a VA cabin. They call and offer you to move to a SS level for $99 per person. That is an upsell.

In further summary, upgrades are free, upsells cost money.

Since we are sailing with another couple booked in the stateroom next to ours we have had our bookings marked "No UpGrade" for fear of being separated. That, plus thanks to great information deemed from this board, we have VD category with the larger balconies. BUT, if HAL wants to offer us suites for a ridiculously small amount of money...... well we sure would be interested. Does the "No UpGrade" take us out of the pool for being offered an "upsell"? Additionally since our booking is held by our brick & mortar TA if HAL should offer one to us will they call our TA or us directly?

Thanks again. :D

Would one of you HAL experts please explain HAL’s “upsell” procedure/policy/offering to me? As an experienced Princess cruiser I’m familiar with free upgrades and rooms booked as a guaranteed category where an upgraded category is assigned but since Princess does not do “upsells” I haven’t a clue as to how they work. :confused:

Thanks in advance! :D

Bruce pretty much answered it but I will add that Princess does in fact do upsells just not as frequently as Holland America. Just my opinion is that they do not have nearly as many Suites and there is a big jump between a Princess Mini Suite in price to a Princess full suite. Where with HAL the Superior Verandah Suite is actually much larger and nicer than a Princess Mini Suite but is often a bit more expensive in comparision to a PCL Mini Suite if that makes any sense. Princess tends to sell out of the categories below the Suites and because they do have less suites they too sell out. But They will sometimes offer upsells for those higher ranking Captain's Circle members or let the upgrade fairy wave her magic wand ;)

Does the "No UpGrade" take us out of the pool for being offered an "upsell"?

No, not as far as I've ever experienced.

Additionally since our booking is held by our brick & mortar TA if HAL should offer one to us will they call our TA or us directly?

They will call or more likely fax you TA with an upsell offer.

Upsell can also mean the passenger calling closer to departure and opting to puchase a higher category cabin without it being offered by HAL. This, of course, is wholly dependent upon availability.

Since we are sailing with another couple booked in the stateroom next to ours we have had our bookings marked "No UpGrade" for fear of being separated. That, plus thanks to great information deemed from this board, we have VD category with the larger balconies. BUT, if HAL wants to offer us suites for a ridiculously small amount of money...... well we sure would be interested. Does the "No UpGrade" take us out of the pool for being offered an "upsell"? Additionally since our booking is held by our brick & mortar TA if HAL should offer one to us will they call our TA or us directly?

Since you are working directly with a TA -- your TA will get the call -- not you -- if HAL wants to offer you an upsell. Had friends who were gone for the day and they got home there was a message on their answering machine concerning an upsell. By the time they called their TA -- the offer was gone.

Also remember that only one of you may be offered an upsell -- so since you have cabins next to each other -- if one of you are offered the upsell -- you will have to decide if you really want your cabins to be in different locations.

Sorry I missed your question.... if you are linked with another couple even if they are the same category neither of you will receive from HAL or your TA an upgrade offer. It has nothing to do with the No UpGrade but rather that you are linked with another party. Don't ask me why it is one of HAL's silly rules but there is no reason if your TA wants to contact the department that handles the upsells to see if they are offering anything. It is actually a timing issue and knowing when these offers are going to happen ;)

On the subject of timing, how late can upsells be offered? My upcoming cruise still has lots of availability. I keep doing dummy bookings, and the changes are interested. Once in a while, it shows "sold out" and then later it shows availability. I asked my TA about a possible upsell from an OV to a Lanai, but they wanted the full difference, and it didn't seem worth it. (We would be fine in our OV, but the thought of all that availability above is is soooo tempting)

She said she requested an upgrade. Then she said that it could come as late as at the pier and that they might request a small amount of money. Also said that I should ask about an upsell at the pier if I didn't get an upgrade. But I thought someone said they don't negotiates upsells at the pier.

Second question. I noticed last night that one category of verandah has a "special price" and it's $100 cheaper than a lanai. Will they do an upsell for me for the difference between my OV and this verandah guarantee? Or is "special price" new bookings only? It didn't say new bookings only, just that it was a nonrefundable price to be paid at time of booking. Since I'm past final payment, that's no issue.

Sorry I missed your question.... if you are linked with another couple even if they are the same category neither of you will receive from HAL or your TA an upgrade offer. It has nothing to do with the No UpGrade but rather that you are linked with another party. Don't ask me why it is one of HAL's silly rules but there is no reason if your TA wants to contact the department that handles the upsells to see if they are offering anything. It is actually a timing issue and knowing when these offers are going to happen ;)

I didn't know this. We are traveling with another couple and we linked our bookings for dining assignment purpose only. Both of us had gty bookings, we got assigned cabins next door to each other. We didn't care about that just wanted to make sure our dining was the same. Now it appears we have ruined our opportunities to get an upsell offer. Is there any way we can fix this? Our sail date is 10/24. We bought a VF gty and got a VA. I don't even know if they are upselling to SZ/SY/SS's for our cruise or not. Now I'm bummed. I thought we had the same chance as everyone else for an upsell offer. :confused: I learn something new every day on this board.

I didn't know this. We are traveling with another couple and we linked our bookings for dining assignment purpose only. Both of us had gty bookings, we got assigned cabins next door to each other. We didn't care about that just wanted to make sure our dining was the same. Now it appears we have ruined our opportunities to get an upsell offer. Is there any way we can fix this? Our sail date is 10/24. We bought a VF gty and got a VA. I don't even know if they are upselling to SZ/SY/SS's for our cruise or not. Now I'm bummed. I thought we had the same chance as everyone else for an upsell offer. :confused: I learn something new every day on this board.

It is extremely rare to be offered upsells to the Superior Verandah Suites from a Balcony, normally the upsells are from OV to Bal or Superior Verandah to Deluxe Verandah. If they were offering them the offer would be happening about right now maybe next week at the latest. I have seen it happen but like I said it is very rare. If you have a TA have them call the appropriate dept or if you booked with HAL call them. You actually were quite fortunate that you got cabins next to each other that does not happen that often.

Thanks for the prompt answer. We booked with an online TA that doesn't do much but book the cruise for their customer. I knew we wouldn't be getting any 'customer service' from them but didn't realize a better TA situation would be helpful for something like this. I asked them once before to do something for me and the email response I got back was like I was asking for a free cruise from them. Guess I'll give up dreaming of a Superior Suite and enjoy my balcony cabin. :o

We're on the Nov. 5 Eurodam cruise and got an email for an upsell 2 days ago. Odd thing, though, it didn't say what the offer was. So I called HAL and they gave me the number for ship inventory. I originally had a superior suite reservation and the upsell was for an SA deluxe suite for $199@ for the first 2 people (our 3rd passenger in the room wasn't charged). I took it. This is my 3rd HAL cruise, 8th cruise total, and the first time I've been offered an upsell. I could have easily missed it since it was in my junk email. It'll be our first suite and I'm really excited!

Can anyone offer advice on this?

We are doing B2B cruises (28 + 30 days) with outside guarantees in both.

How should we stay on top of upsell offers for our second leg, since well be on the ship at the time & 10,000 miles from home & our T/A?

Can anyone offer advice on this?

We are doing B2B cruises (28 + 30 days) with outside guarantees in both.

How should we stay on top of upsell offers for our second leg, since well be on the ship at the time & 10,000 miles from home & our T/A?

Do you have the same cabin for both legs of the cruise? If you do you will NOT be offered any kind of Upsell offer. The chance of finding a cabin in a higher category that is available for both voyages is nill to slim. If you are willing to move cabins between sailings then you can contact HAL to see if they are offering anything or contact your TA to call HAL.

How far before a cruise do they offer upsells? We booked directly with HAL so don't have a "TA" we are working with to call. Just wondering when a good time to call about it would be. We have got a bit better cabin upgrade, because we called when we noticed the price had gone down.

Archived