Who is your favorite brass polisher?

CoachT

Wow, small world. I was trying my best to remember Pawel's real name last night but just could not do it. I think he was on Infinity. In my opinion, he was not quite as good as some others but still competent. How does he rate in your database AREWETHEREYET? Was he ever nominated for the Buffy Awards?

We are boarding Infinity in a couple of weeks so I will look up Slamet and tell him how much we admire his work.

He was good. But, I think he was promoted several times since I saw him. I knew he would go far - an apple polisher, IMO.

Too funny :D

I won't book another cruise without first checking out this thread, I mean, it could make or break a cruise if the BP isn't up to scratch.

Of course a good BP should never be up to scratch, or he or she, as the case may be, would not be an efficacious brass polisher.

I remember Lazee from years ago on the Horizon when he had his first contract with Celebrity as a buffet sneeze-guard cleaner. We used to call him Mr. Spit and Polish because of how he used to clean those...oops, never mind. Anyway, we always thought he did a fine job and was destined to be a brass polisher one day - and a great one at that. Sorry to hear he's not making the grade. If anything can ruin a cruise, it's a bad BP.

I did not realize that a great buffet sneeze guard cleaner (BSGC) could be promoted so quickly to a BP. That is probably what happened with Lazee. He just was not ready to move up. I learned from managing people these last 30 years that you can sometimes ruin a person by promoting them.

I did not realize that a great buffet sneeze guard cleaner (BSGC) could be promoted so quickly to a BP. That is probably what happened with Lazee. He just was not ready to move up. I learned from managing people these last 30 years that you can sometimes ruin a person by promoting them.

Sad but true. Just proves that someone who excels in glass doesn't necessarily make a good BP and thus shouldn't be pushed in the direction of brass unless and until truly ready.

I'm sorry to say that Tu Helwhitit, the brass polisher on our most recent Connie cruise, was a huge disappointment. He had a pastey look about him but oxidation was visible everywhere on the ship and it was a real downer. When we complained, X gave us a certificate for a free cruise, like that was supposed to make up for an incompetent BP! The only thing that saved that cruise for us was the carpet shampooer, So Peewhatah (team captain of the ship's mal-de-mer brigade), who was absolutely outstanding.
Hey, cut the guy a little slack. Poor Tu has been ill recently and is doing the best he can. I hope you didn't write anything negative about him in your evaluation because he would be very upset if he knew that his work had failed to please you.

I sympathize and fully understand that a free cruise cannot begin to atone for the disappointment of the poorly polished brass, but please give the Connie another chance as Tu comes from a long line of brass polishers and would not want to let down the family tradition. His father, Tha Helwhitit, was a respected brass polisher on the old Chandris line before Celebrity.

Not at all surprising to see your comments about So Peewhatah's carpet shampooing. So and his team always do an excellent job.

You know how they always give us that page on the first day of every cruise with the pictures of the ship's chief officers and a little blurb about each one.

Seriously, I would like to see them include one or two of the behind-the-scenes people such as a brass polisher or window washer each time, different people on different cruises to give them individual recognition as important contributors to the success of the cruise too.

It would take up only a small amount of space on the page and kind of make that person a mini-celebrity for that cruise.

Sad but true. Just proves that someone who excels in glass doesn't necessarily make a good BP and thus shouldn't be pushed in the direction of brass unless and until (s)he's ready.

I was wondering if there is another job between BSGC and BP that would provide a natural job progression. Do these folks have a union that would step in and help with job progression and training? BSGC's pretty much have to work when no one is trying to dish out food around them. So they can be lonely and not really as socialized as might be needed for a great BP.

What about the vacuum cleaning squad? They work around people and seem cheerful. Maybe a brief 1-2 year stint in the VCS would help people like Lazee.

In this love fest for brass polishers and sneeze guard wipers, I think we have sadly forgotten the teak tweakers, who keep the deck handrails glowing a rich brown and remove the salt stains. A senior teak tweaker also provides proper training to cabin attendants who serve balcony cabins so that consistency is assured ship wide. My personal favourite is Mujibar on the Infinity.

In this love fest for brass polishers and sneeze guard wipers, I think we have sadly forgotten the teak tweakers, who keep the deck handrails glowing a rich brown and remove the salt stains. A senior teak tweaker also provides proper training to cabin attendants who serve balcony cabins so that consistency is assured ship wide. My personal favourite is Mujibar on the Infinity.

I cannot believe anyone else on these boards knew Mujibar. In 2009 on Infinity, he and his crew were replacing the teak rails on the resort deck. Since I build a lot of furniture (hobby) I stopped to help them. Took us all day but we did a super job. That will be my first stop when we board her again - checking on that hand rail.

Now correct if I am wrong but I think Mujibar was not yet a Senior Teak Tweaker at that time. He may have still been a journeyman.

It's nice to see that others besides Hotel Directors are being noticed here on Cruise Critic. I do however think that we should also acknowledge our favorite stair vacumers, without whom, there would be much dust & unsightly lint on the stairs. My favorite was years ago on Zenith, Dy-Son, who always provided the "proper amount of suction", & with a smile to boot!

Hey! A big round of applause for all of the people we take for granted. Because, all kidding aside, I couldn't be as cheerful and smiling as they can for the length of each cruise - over and over.

Amen. And we need to stop and thank every one of them..

Please tell me where to find brass on Millie. I did my first cruise on her last December. I have always cruised HAL, and the two things I missed the most on Celebrity were brass and teak. It was a fabulous holiday, but the absence of brass and teak made me feel like I was on a floating hotel, not a ship.

It's nice to see that others besides Hotel Directors are being noticed here on Cruise Critic. I do however think that we should also acknowledge our favorite stair vacumers, without whom, there would be much dust & unsightly lint on the stairs. My favorite was years ago on Zenith, Dy-Son, who always provided the "proper amount of suction", & with a smile to boot!

Dy-son is a gem, one of X's finest, always Xceeding even our highest Xpectations! He's been named Vacuumer of the Month more times than anyone can count and repeatedly receives commendations for his unique ability to maneuver his vacuum not just back and forth (anyone can do that!) but in any direction. While not as accomplished or well-liked as Dy-son, Mi Hoova from Roumania is also quite good.

This is so nice to see that people are caring about people. It doesn't take much to greet or smile at any of the hard working staff on the ship. No matter if there are stripes on their sleeves or the focus of their job is the vacuum cleaner, everyone counts and deserves recognition. :)

well now! booked our first Celebrity cruise for next year, silly me worrying about cabin selection, itinerary etc... I did not give a brass a... about the polishers but Pledge to do better in the future.

Dy-son is a gem, one of X's finest, always Xceeding even our highest Xpectations! He's been named Vacuumer of the Month more times than anyone can count and repeatedly receives commendations for his unique ability to maneuver his vacuum not just back and forth (anyone can do that!) but in any direction. While not as accomplished or well-liked as Dy-son, Mi Hoova from Roumania is also quite good.

Ly- IMHO, Dy-son is just a suck up. You'll never see him vacuuming, unless there are VIPs in his immediate vicinity. I guess that's how he got all those awards.

For a smile you just can't beat Henry.

8609978577278464.jpg

Phil

Ly- IMHO, Dy-son is just a suck up. You'll never see him vacuuming, unless there are VIPs in his immediate vicinity. I guess that's how he got all those awards.

I think you're confusing Dy-son with his cousin, Du Nuttin. The family resemblance is so strong they could be twins and folks often mistake one for the other.

For a smile you just can't beat Henry.
You Royal Caribbean cruisers have been bragging about your Henry for years. As the carpet cleaner who most loves to pose for all those photos, he is the one who attracts the accolades with his great personality and cheerful smile.

However, smiling and posing are what he does best. He is not as hard working as Celebrity's diligent but shy carpet cleaners Hu Vir and Yuri Kah. Although they may not have Henry's sparkling personality, they deserve recognition too.

IMHO, Dy-son is just a suck up. You'll never see him vacuuming, unless there are VIPs in his immediate vicinity. I guess that's how he got all those awards.
Several have previously commented on the amazing but controversial and well-known old timer, Dy-Son. We hear that he plans to retire next year and his oldest boy, currently in training, will take over his job. Marelaine, it remains to be seen whether Son-Dy-Son will also be known as a suck up.

Strong dissenting opinions about a cruise topic of great importance are being expressed here. We can only hope that this controversy does not become as heated as the dress code threads, but it can't hurt to get some popcorn ready. ;)

Archived