NCL Customer Service

ncl12345

I would assume getting off the ship would be a reasonable choice at this point. But no mention so far of this being the "life or death" emergency the son is claiming this was supposed be that trigger all sorts of special privileges, including intervention by the US Embassy.

Actually, the US Embassy or Consulate staff will, at a minimum, check on a hospitalized American as soon as they are made aware of the situation and regardless of the circumstances. If needed, they will do more, including notifying next of kin, facilitating other medical arrangements, and assisting with organizing medical evacuation. The expenses are to be borne by the patient, but the embassy provides knowledge, connections, communication and recommendations, and they will "hold the hands" of Americans who have no one else to turn to, do not know the system or language of the country they are in, or who simply need some support in a difficult situation. I used to do this for a living as a consul-- I was on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, because these things happen all the time. "Life or death" is not required for consular attention-- we want to know that our citizens are getting decent care and advice, and to be aware of the situation in case it does become an emergency requiring medevac, which is much easier to organize when those involved have some advance notice. US consular intervention is only a "special privilege" to the extent that it is only provided to American citizens.

Try reading the son's thread, there is far more NOT being said by NCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501350

What truly amazes me is how someone can form an opinion on only half the facts. I understand that some of you are NCL Rah Rah types , I may be the same, and I`ll probably will get called an NCL basher ( I`m Not).

Just try reading what really happened. The son had no reason to lie as some folks on that thread accused him of , and this story now bears fruit of his honesty.

Would any of you prefer salt with your crow.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Just because someone (like me) tends to believe NCL's story and that they acted appropriately does NOT mean we question the son's honesty. Perception is a funny thing, and I have no doubt I may have reacted the same way in the same situation. The stories really aren't mutually exclusive from what I've been able to read. And the news outlets using headlines like "NCL Abandons Elderly Woman" are irresponsible.

Although DH was not close to his parents -- we did have a situation with them many, many years ago. We recognized that DH's father was having memory problems -- but DH's mother said that he was just getting slow and she could handle it. Well -- she didn't. He took the car one evening to go and get something to eat. She went to bed. He got lost and a river boat captain found him sitting on the edge of the river bank with the car half in the water at 2 AM. That's when the police sat down with her, took the car keys away from both of them, notified the state to cancel both their driving licenses. She just stared at the police and said she could handle the situation and didn't need help from anyone. Total nightmare.

Not the case in the state of New York. Back in 1990 I was run over by an elderly lady in a car. She never asked me if I was all right and took off (I was run over by the exterior wheels over my lower left leg) I had managed to get up and called the police (this happened in the front of my business). This lady was a regular customer of ours and I suspected memory issues. People were telling her niece that she needed to be off the road. She was issued a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident which would have brought her up in front of a judge, thus starting the beginning of taking her off the road (next step is a hearing through DMV). One our illustrious local judges dismissed the ticket and scolded the officer for treating an old lady like this. She remained on the road for another year:mad: It's no wonder she didn't kill someone. I saw her one day with her car half on the road and half off with other cars around her and police. No one got her off the road then either.

Try reading the son's thread, there is far more NOT being said by NCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501350

What truly amazes me is how someone can form an opinion on only half the facts. I understand that some of you are NCL Rah Rah types , I may be the same, and I`ll probably will get called an NCL basher ( I`m Not).

Just try reading what really happened. The son had no reason to lie as some folks on that thread accused him of , and this story now bears fruit of his honesty.

Would any of you prefer salt with your crow.

cheers...the Ump...:D

And what exactly has now come to light that validates the sons story???

As far as I can read, it's exactly the opposite. After the information became clear about where and how they were, the son contacted both the newspapers and tv station about this "problem". Why? The only reason it seems would be trying to get "something". Does anyone actually think NCL should be the one to contact the insurance company and initiate a claim? Think of the exposure there. Mom refused almost all the help that was offered to her. She is a responsible adult (in theory), yet she failed to contact her son when offered the chance. Does anyone think a responsible adult should be forced to accept something they do not want. The issue here is between the son and his parents. I think NCL did the exact correct thing.

If you read the sons story, they had no money, cell phone or ability to care for themselves. If that is true, why would he let them go? Almost none of this adds up, however, the NCL side of the story has some credibility. I've been onboard now for three medivacs, and in none of those were the patients dropped off on the pier to fend for themselves. Always taken by the doctor and nurse to a waiting ambulance and turned over to local medical authorities. How would you handle it.

The repeated mentions of NCL not contacting the insurance company and the media emphasizing that the couple had to max out the credit cards is misplaced. From what I understand they would have had to do this regardless of when the insurance company was called. Contacting the insurance company sooner might have simplified things for the couple since some offer "concierge" service in these types of situations to facilitate the logistics. But it is very unlikely that they would not have had to pay up front for medical and flight costs. The insurance company will reimburse them which is what would have happened in any event.

They weren't in the US - would HIPA still apply?

Yes, HIPAA would still apply. The insurance policy was written by an insurance company based in the US, and the policyholders (the elderly couple taking the cruise) were US residents and citizens. Their disembarking the ship in a foreign country doesn't change the insurance company's obligation to obey all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.

The news story clears up one mystery to me ... why the OP was calling NCL after his mother called him. The news story says that his mother did not know where they were located, so she was evidently confused. The son in turn called NCL to try to find out where they let his parents off the ship, but could not get information from them.

So the chain of events is that the son receives a call from a confused and scared elder, and he tries to help from the vantage point of being so far away. He is totally in the dark, and his mother is not able to help him with her location, and NCL won't provide any information.

That makes his position and concern so much clearer to me now. It may be that his parents are usually 100% competent, and do well in daily life, etc. But the stress or the illness may have produced a kind of temporary diminished capacity, and all the OP knew was that his elderly parents were somewhere after being let off the ship. And no one could tell him where.

I'm not sure there's a solution to this one; anyone who has dealt with an elderly family member that is sometimes lucid and sometimes confused knows that many of them are fiercely independent, and refuse help, and then get into real trouble. No one else can help you deal with it, and until they are unable to care for themselves (i.e., unless they are wallowing in filth) you cannot intervene against their wishes.

I would just add that if my elderly parent was calling me and could not tell me where she was, I am sure I would ask to speak to a doctor, nurse or employee of the facility to get this information. I dont think I would hang up the phone until I got the information.

I would just add that if my elderly parent was calling me and could not tell me where she was, I am sure I would ask to speak to a doctor, nurse or employee of the facility to get this information. I dont think I would hang up the phone until I got the information.

My guess: he demanded compensation from NCL, didn't get it, and is now carrying through on a threat to get the entire cruise community against NCL... Don't give him the satisfaction...

This guy is a taker...

Although DH was not close to his parents -- we did have a situation with them many, many years ago. We recognized that DH's father was having memory problems -- but DH's mother said that he was just getting slow and she could handle it. Well -- she didn't. He took the car one evening to go and get something to eat. She went to bed. He got lost and a river boat captain found him sitting on the edge of the river bank with the car half in the water at 2 AM. That's when the police sat down with her, took the car keys away from both of them, notified the state to cancel both their driving licenses. She just stared at the police and said she could handle the situation and didn't need help from anyone. Total nightmare.

Hi KK

Wow - that is awful and must have been a nightmare! I trust that all turned out ok and they were ok!! Goodness is that what we (the "younger set" have to look forward to? Why do they call it the Golden Years?

Happy Sails...

My guess: he demanded compensation from NCL, didn't get it, and is now carrying through on a threat to get the entire cruise community against NCL... Don't give him the satisfaction...

This guy is a taker...

I am beginning to wonder the same thing. Why go to the press or the court of public opinion about it unless there was something demanded from the cruise line? Something seems screwy with the whole thing. Plus, in Florida there are just tons of lawyers who love to take the cruise lines to court. In the end it costs the average cruiser more.

It is my belief that NCL acted in the best interests of the people they put off the ship by having the port agent check in with them. Amazing how the son got all pissy about it and the family was all mad when they got back to the USA. Some how I think the son is behind looking for $$. Time will tell.

Mooder--

Our media only knows how to blow a story out of proportion. They thrive on mayhem and any story that can be manipulated to keep the public in front of the television

I do say the news media loves to blow things way out of proportion when given the opportunity to and a slow news day. In Tampa it must have been just that but then again, they're not a major media market so they need to get stories somewhere. :rolleyes::p

And what exactly has now come to light that validates the sons story???

As far as I can read, it's exactly the opposite. After the information became clear about where and how they were, the son contacted both the newspapers and tv station about this "problem". Why? The only reason it seems would be trying to get "something". Does anyone actually think NCL should be the one to contact the insurance company and initiate a claim? Think of the exposure there. Mom refused almost all the help that was offered to her. She is a responsible adult (in theory), yet she failed to contact her son when offered the chance. Does anyone think a responsible adult should be forced to accept something they do not want. The issue here is between the son and his parents. I think NCL did the exact correct thing.

If you read the sons story, they had no money, cell phone or ability to care for themselves. If that is true, why would he let them go? Almost none of this adds up, however, the NCL side of the story has some credibility. I've been onboard now for three medivacs, and in none of those were the patients dropped off on the pier to fend for themselves. Always taken by the doctor and nurse to a waiting ambulance and turned over to local medical authorities. How would you handle it.

This post perfectly sums it up. While I have tried to be sympathetic to the communicaiton issues the OP was having and the distress caused by his mom not being sure where she was, he also flat out accused NCL of grossly mistreaing his parents directly. This was never JUST about the communication issues and the initial post is glaring proof that he was also claiming neglect on NCL"s part. Let's not try to dress this up as "just" a communication issue. OP got to frame the nature of the controversy, and he chose to frame it as both NCL's neglect for his parents AND lack of communication with him.

I believe NCL's version of how they treated his parents. It comports with what you would expect a reasonable cruiseline to do and rings of truth all the way around. While I still really don't know why NCL told him they could not contact the ship, it seems to me that the entire issue of "dumping the parents unceremoniously in Cartagena" has been dispensed with as pure hyperbole and exaggeration. And instead of coming on here and acknowledging that he was very upset and misconstruing the entire situation, OP has only continued to insist that NCL is in the wrong by trying to recharacterize his original position - his "primary concerns" - as being solely about the communication.

I would feel sorry for OP if he seemed more genuine in his response to NCL's version of how they dealt with his parents. Personally, he really lost me when he tried to get on TV - that smacks of someone trying to exploit his parents' situation to get publicity and maybe more.

He started with my sympahty, but has since lost it through his attention-grabbing behavior.

Not the case in the state of New York. Back in 1990 I was run over by an elderly lady in a car. She never asked me if I was all right and took off (I was run over by the exterior wheels over my lower left leg) I had managed to get up and called the police (this happened in the front of my business). This lady was a regular customer of ours and I suspected memory issues. People were telling her niece that she needed to be off the road. She was issued a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident which would have brought her up in front of a judge, thus starting the beginning of taking her off the road (next step is a hearing through DMV). One our illustrious local judges dismissed the ticket and scolded the officer for treating an old lady like this. She remained on the road for another year:mad: It's no wonder she didn't kill someone. I saw her one day with her car half on the road and half off with other cars around her and police. No one got her off the road then either.

Yep, I recently took a car away from an Aunt I'm "responsible" for (long story), as her license is expired and she has "bumped" into two pedestrians. I was reported for auto theft, and the police were "nice" to me and told me simply to return the car rather than arresting me. The DMV determined that there's no reason to take any other action, as her license is expired now, but she continues to assert that she can drive fine, and she has a AAA card and does not need a license. I returned the car but pulled the ignition fuse from the fuse block, so the car turns over but does not start. I am guilty of petty vandalism, according to the desk Sargent I talked to, but my Aunt would have to figure out what was wrong (there's a note in the fuse block advising anyone who looks at the car that the fuse was pulled to protect the community).

The OP has a really stressful situation on his hands for the next few years, unless his parents voluntarily clip their own wings. To get conservatorship, at least here in California, they have to be incapable of caring for themselves (or as the APS social worker told me, "wallowing in filth"). Meanwhile, everyone will keep telling you "they should be in a home!" or "they should not be living alone!" as if they are children that you can actually control.

Yep, I recently took a car away from an Aunt I'm "responsible" for (long story), as her license is expired and she has "bumped" into two pedestrians. I was reported for auto theft, and the police were "nice" to me and told me simply to return the car rather than arresting me. The DMV determined that there's no reason to take any other action, as her license is expired now, but she continues to assert that she can drive fine, and she has a AAA card and does not need a license. I returned the car but pulled the ignition fuse from the fuse block, so the car turns over but does not start. I am guilty of petty vandalism, according to the desk Sargent I talked to, but my Aunt would have to figure out what was wrong (there's a note in the fuse block advising anyone who looks at the car that the fuse was pulled to protect the community).

The OP has a really stressful situation on his hands for the next few years, unless his parents voluntarily clip their own wings. To get conservatorship, at least here in California, they have to be incapable of caring for themselves (or as the APS social worker told me, "wallowing in filth"). Meanwhile, everyone will keep telling you "they should be in a home!" or "they should not be living alone!" as if they are children that you can actually control.

So, so true. My Grandmother was a terrible driver in her mid-50's. The family was just darn lucky she hung the keys up on her own, saying she was no longer comfortable driving. You did the right thing and so did the police department - they saved someone from being seriously injured or killed by your Aunt. As I said in an earlier post, I was injured in an accident involving a lady who had Alzheimers and no one wanted to remove her from the road.

A few years ago, my MIL and FIL (both in their 80s) were going to take my then 11 year-old nephew on an Alaska cruise. At the last minute, they decided my nephew, their grandson, would have more fun if another young grandson, my then 15 year-old son, went along. When my son got back, he said it was like herding cats! In every port, the grandparents would walk off in opposite directions and his cousin would walk off in a third direction. Ended up my 15 year-old was the only responsible one on that trip. He said "Never again!"

A few years ago, my MIL and FIL (both in their 80s) were going to take my then 11 year-old nephew on an Alaska cruise. At the last minute, they decided my nephew, their grandson, would have more fun if another young grandson, my then 15 year-old son, went along. When my son got back, he said it was like herding cats! In every port, the grandparents would walk off in opposite directions and his cousin would walk off in a third direction. Ended up my 15 year-old was the only responsible one on that trip. He said "Never again!"

LOL .... sorry...

Although I have read Cruise Critic and used it as an informational tool many times in researching different cruise trips for my family; this is my first time posting. I have been looking at trips on NCL for this coming year lately and have run across this thread this week. Having read the original writer's (sorry – OP) initial post and the subsequent follow-ups along with everyone else's commentary, I have to say I am a little surprised by the some of the somewhat caustic comments some of the posters have made against this guy. He seems genuinely concerned about his parents; and having older parents myself I can relate. I have always found at least in my research this board to be useful and supportive; but for some reason there are a few of you who have decided to continually "pile on" this person simply because he reached out to any resource he could at a time he was in distress. I am glad the OP's parents are home and safe and I wish them well. He has stated he wants nothing from NCL in both this thread and on the TV interview. I have no reason not to take him at his word. I wonder why a few on this post don't seem to want to do the same.

I hope since this is also my first post I'm not out of hand for saying so, because I do usually enjoy reading everyone's opinions and experiences. I get excited for my trips reading about other's travels. But this time – it just seems like some are so passionate about NCL, they would rather go after the OP than consider that maybe it was just an all around unfortunate situation. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. Hope I didn't step out of line for adding my two cents.

Although I have read Cruise Critic and used it as an informational tool many times in researching different cruise trips for my family; this is my first time posting. I have been looking at trips on NCL for this coming year lately and have run across this thread this week. Having read the original writer's (sorry – OP) initial post and the subsequent follow-ups along with everyone else's commentary, I have to say I am a little surprised by the some of the somewhat caustic comments some of the posters have made against this guy. He seems genuinely concerned about his parents; and having older parents myself I can relate. I have always found at least in my research this board to be useful and supportive; but for some reason there are a few of you who have decided to continually "pile on" this person simply because he reached out to any resource he could at a time he was in distress. I am glad the OP's parents are home and safe and I wish them well. He has stated he wants nothing from NCL in both this thread and on the TV interview. I have no reason not to take him at his word. I wonder why a few on this post don't seem to want to do the same.

I hope since this is also my first post I'm not out of hand for saying so, because I do usually enjoy reading everyone's opinions and experiences. I get excited for my trips reading about other's travels. But this time – it just seems like some are so passionate about NCL, they would rather go after the OP than consider that maybe it was just an all around unfortunate situation. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. Hope I didn't step out of line for adding my two cents.

Excellent post and I totally agree with you. I totally believe the OP's story and as much as I loved my cruise on NCL know that mistakes are made and believe this is one of those areas that NCL did something in error and then tried to spin the story to their benefit.

Excellent post and I totally agree with you. I totally believe the OP's story and as much as I loved my cruise on NCL know that mistakes are made and believe this is one of those areas that NCL did something in error and then tried to spin the story to their benefit.

I agree with the post. My only difference is I don't think we have to choose. I believe both sides. So, I don't think we are dealing with honesty versus dishonesty; merely perception. Are there any facts in direct conflict within the two stories?

I agree with the post. My only difference is I don't think we have to choose. I believe both sides. So, I don't think we are dealing with honesty versus dishonesty; merely perception. Are there any facts in direct conflict within the two stories?

Mooder, that is exactly how I feel. Both sides are being honest, and I can see both sides of the story. As far as I have seen from the posting, news article and press release, NCL has never denied the fact that they weren't able to tell the OP where his parents actually were. To me this is the part that I do find disturbing.

Until you go through something once, especially a scare involving family you really do not know what questions to ask. I know personally when my Father went into the hospital a few years ago, I learned quite a bit about what to ask for and what my rights were. Then a few months ago when my Mom was in the hospital, I was able to get all of the information I needed and get her the treatment she needed. People should realize that everyone handles a stressful situation differently and may not think of all the questions they should be asking, especially when they receive that surprise phone call, I know that I can always think of what I should have asked as soon as I hang up the phone. There is no worse feeling then feeling helpless when a family member needs help.

Archived