NCL Customer Service

ncl12345

If this statement from NCL is accurate then it's scary how this couple is now distorting the facts.

I totally agree, my guess there could be an attorney now involved :rolleyes:

This very much reminds of several stories we have read about here on the HAL board over the years. I agree with nothriver and would guess that all alone the wife was thanking everyone till they got home the the Son was having a fit and built all kinds of other details into it.

And then of course the Tampa News station did not want to sensationalize the story :eek:

This sounds typical of NCL. We were returning from an Alaskan cruise several years ago when the ship listed on a gorgeous sunny day with calm seas( ultimately attributed to human negligence)...we were tossed across the deck as the entire pool emptied on top of us, resulting in my husband having a detached hamstring and clearly in shock. The medical care was horrendous ( being a RN, I can attest)..luckily passengers with medical backgrounds took over. IN the end, NCL left us in Victoria, BC with no ID, no dry clothes as the ambulance took us to a local hospital. We were informed that the ship was leaving at midnite, like it or not. I had to call local TV channel to wake them up a bit. I would never in a million years get on another NCL ship. They are the most uncaring, unsensitive people I have ever met. It took us awhile to cruise again and have found Princess to be 100times more caring and professional.

eclue

The scariest thing is how much distortion can be introduced into a story. You would have thought that you were reading about two different incidents.

SO True at some point in time the woman could have called her son. If she thought NCL was to alert him then she should have wondered why he hadn't contact them through the hospital. I tend to believe NCL on this one.

I think what has happened here is two people travelling overseas have had a problem, and like allot of us, did not want to worry other family members or impose on others.

Their experience with problems travelling may have been limited and the whole situation was most likely overwhelming. NCL have stated they did everything they could at the time, and as someone who has witnessed first hand the service given to passengers in trouble in these South American countries, I tend to believe their side of the story.

The family member writing was obviously upset and worried for the safety of his loved ones, and rightly so, but maybe there is a lesson or two for all of us here,

1. The emergency contact should be someone at home, not on the ship with you.

2. Never be too proud to accept help from those around you when it is offered.

Sadly -- many older people think they can handle a situation when in reality -- they can not.

Hi KK - Thanks for sharing the story - I cannot imagine being left in Columbia - yikes - just going shopping there was an adventure I would rather not re-live!! The thing is these folks are only in their 70's - I guess the older we get the younger that seems. With that, just because they are older why can't they handle it? They have lived longer - they should be able to handle anything....I would be furious with my parents!!!

Happy Sails!!

To put this perspective, two years ago we were on a HAL cruise and one of our cc members was very ill. Hal not only packed their bags, saved their room in case they could come back, they OFFERED to call the insurance company and get things rolling as they knew the couple was stressed.

they also PERSONALLY delivered them to the hospital and ambulance people. They knew there were people on board that cared so if we were a cc member they gave us updates.

The couple had nothing but praise for HAL and sailed the next year on HAL. Get this, they booked SS and were upgraded free of charge to SA because of the incident the previous year (which was not HAL's fault).

It's fine to travel with insurance but when people are stressed it's hard to remember to make all those calls. Well we don't know the whole story, I do think NCL could have helped - they have admitted they knew they had insurance so why not???

anyways, it's just a comparison. and a personal experience. But we do have to remember to make those all important phone calls. If the couple was really stressed and upset then, shouldn't someone make it :confused:JMO

I tend to believe NCL on this one. Unless the Port Agent is totally lying it sounds like the cruiseline was looking after them sufficiently and the couple probably shouldn't have been traveling alone to begin with. She should have been on the phone with her son at her own initiative and not now be complaining NCL didn't call him. Sounds like the son and an attorney are writing her story for her.

You know, I'm kind of shocked. I came on this thread to see the story and am shocked at how the op is being treated. he's telling his story and yes, like many others, he found cc in order to tell it.

So, the op is lambasted for being a first time poster.

Yes, there is a bit of missing info, but the bottom line is there is an issue here.. Sure, there are some cracks, but people this is a serious issue.

If it happened to you or your parents, how would you feel?

Sounds like NCL did the same procedure that Disney did when my dad almost drowned and we were medivaced to FFL. Although I'll have to admit, the first call I made home was pretty hysterical and I had left the message on an answering phone. I did ask to call again before we did leave the ship and they were all too happy to oblige. As far as the medical personel, I doubt they're NCL's employees. If it's like the nurse on Disney explained to me, they were from a mainland hospital just doing a 6 month tour---for something different. Originally they wanted to transport us to a Grand Bahama hospital. I don't know if it made any difference or not when i requested getting back to a USA hospital (probably helped that my dad had tri-care for life), but that's where we ended up going (after shoving off from the port we were at, jumping onto a tug boat at sea and couple hours later and being taken to Grand Bahama, then being met by a medijet---all with my Dad being unconscious. From near drowning to making it to the hospital took 9 hours). Disney did offer to help with finding me a hotel and travel plans, but their results were much more expensive then doing it myself. It is a LOT of WORK when something like this happens! And the medical bill will be charged before you're taken off the ship. THey do have a business to run. I think they did a very good job, considering. Sounds like NCL tried to do the same basic procedure---although some of the choices are made by the medical company, not the cruise line.

Why was this considered an "emergency"? Getting a virus is nasty, it was being taken care and according to NCL very courteously, of but where is the "emergency"? There was inconvenience and stress of course, but emergency means life and death. No hint that was the case here. Calm down everyone and drop the pitch forks.

I tend to believe NCL on this one. Unless the Port Agent is totally lying it sounds like the cruiseline was looking after them sufficiently and the couple probably shouldn't have been traveling alone to begin with. She should have been on the phone with her son at her own initiative and not now be complaining NCL didn't call him. Sounds like the son and an attorney are writing her story for her.

Totally agree!! I can't tell you how many times I personally have assisted elderly couples just in normal cruising situations. I have often wondered WHY they are traveling alone. Who gets them to the cruise port? or the airport? makes all their arrangements?

IMHO NCL did what they should have!

Son admitted father picked up an intestinal virus and was not getting better onboard. However, this does not necessarily rise to the level of the "emergency" he is claiming his parents were facing. Sorry but pushing 80 is not frail elderly for a lot of people. Getting an intestinal flu is a major discomfort and staying on board a ship may not have been an appealing option under the circumstances when one is not getting better. (no mention if there were also rough seas).

I would assume getting off the ship would be a reasonable choice at this point. But no mention so far of this being the "life or death" emergency the son is claiming this was supposed be that trigger all sorts of special privileges, including intervention by the US Embassy.

Cartegena was hardly third world as well. I am sure he got very competent care there and NCL did what was reasonable and appropriate under what appeared to them to be a non-emergency situation. It was a major bummer no question about that, but just sorry to see what is starting to smell like a hyperbolic exploitation of a common travel mishap.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

IMHO, in case of emergency usually means if the ship has sunk or if someone dies. It states that NCL gave them an opportunity to call and they refused. Maybe HAL does "in case of emergency" better since they tend to cater to an older crowd and are used to different "emergencies". However, the couple got home safe and sound.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Three sides to every story: http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/215900/8/Cruise-line-responds-after-couple-left-in-Colombia

"But in an NCL statement, the cruise line says the Colemans had a chance to call their son: "Prior to disembarking the vessel, the ship's Guest Service personnel assisted Mr. and Mrs. Coleman with packing their belongings and making arrangements for their transfer to the hospital. At that time, the couple were given the option to contact their family via phone before disembarking, but chose not to."

I am 63 but live in a an over 55 community. I can easily see this happening to a lot of people I know. They think they know exactly what's happening but don't.

And at age 75 my mother was visiting friends in FL. She had a mild heart attack and was taken by them to the hospital. She checked herself out the next day, against medical advice because she wanted to go home. A few years later the story changed and she was ready to sue the hospital for releasing her when she was clearly "soo sick". And I can't count the times she was sure someone had stolen jewelry from her luggage, which found later in places she had "hidden" the rings and forgotten where!!!

Just my 2 cents --

If the son was so worried about his parents, why wasn't he with them. Sounds to me like they shouldn't have been traveling alone in the first place.

I'm not an NCL cheerleader, but things can/and do go wrong. Sounds like NCL offered to help and the wife didn't take advantage of any of the help offered.

There was a HAL story not too long ago, that the man and his wife were transferred in a small boat to shore in Italy and just left hanging there too, with the husband in the hospital. I never did hear how that story ended.

Makes me wonder if these people are fully aware of just what a cruise and foreign travel entails:confused: Even with travel insurance, the person usually has to pay the costs up front, then be reimbursed.

The only thing I see that NCL didn't do, was contact the insurance company, rather than just give the woman the phone number for her to call. But it sounds like the Port Agent was looking after them, they weren't just DUMPED in the foreign country. That is the procedure, that is what the Port Agent is there for.

I'm just off the Star Pacific Northwest cruise just ahead of this cruise. I can tell you the crew, from Captain Fatalios on down were very caring and helpful. We had 40-50 mile an hour winds, with 25 foot seas, and the Captain was making announcements about the weather and seas and keeping us all informed and apologizing, even though he couldn't control the weather.

My mother became very sick when we cruised the Jewel to Greece. She had to disembark in a wheel chair. When we arrived at our Athens hotel via NCL transfer everyone was ushered into a large holding room. I alerted a NCL rep that this was unacceptable and they assisted me in getting us into a room immediately. Over the next 3 days I believe the doctor came 3 times.

I look at it this way. My mother was sick. I was not. She was my responsibility, not NCL's. I think of an emergency contact of someone not traveling with us for the purpose of NCL notifying them in case BOTH OF US are unable to contact them. I would not expect NCL to notify my family, when I am not sick or hurt.

The medical team on the ship is not equipped to handle a lot. They do not have extensive equipment that a land based doctor does.

We never expect to use the infirmary, or the insurance, but we know it is a possibility.

My mom hopes to cruise to Athens again someday since she only got to see the Acropolis from the hotel rooftop bar, where she went for 15 minutes on the last night as ok'd by her doctor. She also missed Naples, Amalfi, Pompeii and Crete as she was sick on the ship before we docked in Greece.

I read the OP's post as well as NCL's response in the news article. It sure sounds like each party has a different take on the situation. And my lawyer brother says the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Just thought I would share our experience

We have sailed NCL twice since and have 2013 booked too.

IMHO, in case of emergency usually means if the ship has sunk or if someone dies. It states that NCL gave them an opportunity to call and they refused. Maybe HAL does "in case of emergency" better since they tend to cater to an older crowd and are used to different "emergencies". However, the couple got home safe and sound.

Don't take this wrong but IMHO if death has occured then the emergency is over. Maybe it is being from the south.

I am 63 but live in a an over 55 community. I can easily see this happening to a lot of people I know. They think they know exactly what's happening but don't.

And at age 75 my mother was visiting friends in FL. She had a mild heart attack and was taken by them to the hospital. She checked herself out the next day, against medical advice because she wanted to go home. A few years later the story changed and she was ready to sue the hospital for releasing her when she was clearly "soo sick". And I can't count the times she was sure someone had stolen jewelry from her luggage, which found later in places she had "hidden" the rings and forgotten where!!!

My Mom was like that but she had a brain tumor. Non the less it is hard to see parents like that.

Ok first of all, I find it hard to imagine someone is calling NCL to see if someone is on a ship that is clearly calling you and saying they aren't. If you lack that person's ability to be able to judge even such a small piece of information, than you are more responsible than a cruiseline because you obviously have doubts as to their stability in the first place! With that being said, they had no business on a cruise, and you should be ashamed for allowing them to go. You should have convinced them not to, or gone with them if they refused to listen.

Second of all, I would not expect NCL to call anyone, its not their job. While it sure would have been nice, it is not their job. The parents bought a service and their contract ended when they were let off when they were. Do you expect Ford to call your family too when you are in a car accident? Perhaps the Highway Department if it is on a highway? Thats a cops job, just as it should have been a medical person's job in the case of an emergency. The cops dont call you a hospital does right?

Ford will also not call your insurance, nor will the police department. That is up to you. 17, to 117, they figure it is your own responsibility. Im sorry they are elderly, but they are adults, everyone assumes they can handle their own business. Especially if they are cruising to foreign countries.

Also, everyone baseing their agreement on the poster to some guy who claims he works for NCL, I can claim that to, being a faceless entity on a computer. Heck I can claim I am Hilary Clinton if it pleases you, and if I feel it is going to further my point, but it still doesnt make it so.

None of us were there, and if there were so many cases, it would be on the news by now. Everyone is going to jump on this bandwagon to feel like they know something but there is no proof of any of it. Bashing NCL without all the facts and taking peoples word who may or may not have an agenda is ridiculous. FYI for the sake of argument I did a search of the State Dept website and there doesnt appear to be a Mulligan of any kind, just saying.

Archived