Purse users

Kentman23

My wife is someone who can't go without her purse, but is nervous about walking around the Bahamas with it because we've heard the crime is high. What would you suggest using to keep your money, passport, S&S card, etc? She was thinking a cross body purse.

If she is real concerned with safety and must carry a purse she could look into a pacsafe purse. They are slash proof and have a nifty easy lock closure so no unwanted hands can sneek in. I have one with a long shoulder strap to wear across the body... Which is also cut/slash proof. I picked mine up at REI. Very durable. I also picked up a pacsafe back back.

As for passports... I leave mine in the safe on the ship... Some could argue that if the ship leaves without u you'd b screwed... But... I'm not going to into that. I'll continue leaving mine safely in my stateroom.

At ports I'll take some cash, ID, SS card, and a credit card... All tucked in my water wallet that I purchased on my first cruise

My wife is someone who can't go without her purse, but is nervous about walking around the Bahamas with it because we've heard the crime is high. What would you suggest using to keep your money, passport, S&S card, etc? She was thinking a cross body purse.

I'm going to urge my wife to leave her purse in the cabin and I'll carry any cash/S&S cards/passport cards on me. After she does all her purchasing, she can carry the bags. ;)

At home, I'm a purse-person too. On a cruise, I can't wait to ditch it and love the freedom of just having the sail and sign card to worry about.

In port we usually have a beach bag with a towel, water, etc. Inside I have a small change-type purse with "some" money, ID, and a cc. Hubby usually carries it:D I limit what is in it and we have never had any issues.

The crossbody bag will work pretty well if it makes her more comfortable. I think we all adjust how we do things the more we experience the things we like to do both on and off the ship.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with the other poster on the Pacsafe stuff. It is a little pricier but the piece of mind is great. And if you are a port shopper the backpac would be nice as well to carry the purchases. They have all sorts of cool stuff. I have a pacsafe metrosafe 100. It is a small cross body purse. Very basic. not the most stylish thing but not god awful either. My husband has the camera bag and the strap for his SLR. I will say it works. We used ours in Italy and on the trains which have issues and he felt a tug or two. I personally have a waist belt with passport, Credit card and most of my money. so all the important stuff on my waist. I have maybe 20 in misc money in my purse as well as my camera, inhaler, basic meds ( Imodium, Excedrin, etc) asthma inhaler. Although I have never been I would suggest not taking a purse if worried and doing just a under cloths waist pack for most of the stuff. I also have a waterproof sleeve for my passport that I put in the waist thing and keep my money and cards in it as well. I find you tend to sweat where the belt is. A few misc stuff in pockets. I personally would not feel comfortable in a foreign place without my own passport, sign and sail , cards and money on me in case people get separated.

The link is the one I have but they have many options

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=134

I bought some small cross body purses for travel. I leave my big one in the cabin once I board.

I got various brands like Coach for about $20 in Cozumel. They look cute to me and look real.

I also carry a back pack and have the money zipped into a inside pocket.

I've got a Baggalini travel purse that I use for cruises and other vacation travel. Love it! Small enough for my small wallet, phone, camera, etc. It also has a slashproof strap, plenty of small pockets, and a brightly colored interior (so you can spot things easily).

I use a fanny pack here. Keeps the hands free and everything is close to my body.

CC has the best ones too .. larger than usual. I can put my book and glasses and some other things in them.

But I retired my CC fanny pack in favor of the cross body SMALL purse.. just the right size too.

I've traveled all over Europe, the US and the Caribbean - and to some pretty high-crime areas/places with huge gypsy problems. I always wear either a messenger bag or purse that I can wear across my body and keep in front of me at all times, or more recently I bought a flipside backpack - the zipper is against my back so there is no way into it without swinging it around to the front, if you catch my drift. I wore this for three weeks in Europe this past summer without any issues - including in Marseille on public transportation. Blech.

I've got a Baggalini travel purse that I use for cruises and other vacation travel. Love it! Small enough for my small wallet, phone, camera, etc. It also has a slashproof strap, plenty of small pockets, and a brightly colored interior (so you can spot things easily).

I have found a Hallmark store here that carries this bag..unbeleivable and owner said the few flight attendants here have numerous ones..they last 3 years of daily hard wear at least..and they love them (someday getting one),,,if cool enough to be really safe I like super light weight under clothes fanny packs for passport, cash, cards, all the hard to replaceables in certain situations/cities when needed on you and in route..then the body strap purses second..third outside fanny pack....4th and ugly but the ergonomic backpacks..that are good on your back when you need more stuff...5th regular purses when ok...different things require different options...have to have a tiny fancy bag too currently i have a black beaded tiny bag ..if you look close Mini mouse is in the beads..LOL..and a Black Whiting and Davis zipper bag..black mesh stuff..those thing i hope they still make...Sarah

Rick Steves often has the fanny pack, under your clothes light weight..lets see...

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/

Norm Thompson outlet store is where i got my good on the back backpack...but here..and sure you can find some other brand...

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5761018721/m/3021096452

I just use a belly pack. has a zipper on the back side for valuables. But for purchase items, I carry a bag with a full zipper across. For the men, they should wear something to conceal valuables too. For wallets, DON'T keep it in your back pocket!! What we did was keep the wallet in the front pocket and secure it shut with a safety pin or two. Pickpockets are experts way beyond the average person's thinking.

I love not carrying a purse during my cruise.... That's why I only buy my hubby cargo shorts with ALOT of pockets... he is my own personal walking purse... :)

My husband is my purse too lol...once he lost a few pounds before the cruise, didnt take a belt on an excursion, he had on cargo shorts. I kept giving him things to carry, camera, my little coin type purse, with my cash, lipstick, etc...pretty soon his shorts were falling of him lol..this time ariund for none beach excursion (since then I will use our beach bag for my stuff) I think I will go with one of the cross your body type purse..i like the idea of hands free

I use a money/credit card pouch that goes under my clothes. (Around my waist like a belt.) They have them on any travel accessory website. Tons of variations of the same product.

I still carry a purse for my camera/chapstick/whatever items I can't live without for a few hours.

Archived