High School Band Cruise on Carnival?

happyhiker

We were on a cruise that had a high school band out of san juan. They wore their uniforms and played down the halls twice that week. They were meeting in St.Kitts for a band competition. We watched them in St. Kitts also compete in drum line at the port. I thought it was pretty nice. The kids never had their instruments in their rooms or just out playing. They had them for aloted times on the ship. Sure if you work it out it should not be a problem.

Good point - that is a lot of $$$ to just be on the ship.

And that begs the question what exactly would they do with the students while in port :confused:.

If they are not getting off I would hope their would be some planned group activities to keep them amused. Because any group of high school students - left to fill their own time - are bound to find some trouble!

You know thats right!! :eek:

From Carnival's Statement of Group Requests....notice the last paragraph

Minors are considered to be under the age of 21. Effective 10/01/09, guests between 13 and 17 years of age must travel with their parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian in either: the same stateroom or can be separated by up to 3 staterooms down or across the hall. If assigned in separate staterooms, cabin assignment with names and full per person deposits are required.

Guests under the age of 13 must travel in the same stateroom with one of the adults previously mentioned, including guests under 14 years of age traveling in a balcony stateroom. Guests 18 through 20 years of age traveling with a parent, close relative, or court-appointed legal guardian are not required to be within close proximity of the adult’s stateroom if assigned in separate staterooms. Guests under the age of 21 not traveling with one of the following (parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian) MUST travel with a guardian 25 years or older in the same stateroom.

If the group consists of 8 staterooms or more with guests who are not traveling with their parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian, guests in those staterooms will be required to pre-pay gratuities and those minors will be required to pay $100 per person damage deposits. Please note the drinking age on all Carnival ships is 21. Once onboard the ship, minors are required to deposit $150 cash on 7 day cruises and $100 on 3/4 day cruises for their sail and sign cards if not in possession of their own credit card.

thanks for the back up showing the rules are what I posted twice now that folks are still saying .. you are wrong .. now two of us posted the rules.

I think its because HS kids dont drink or gamble. .. but Iv heard they just do not encourage groups this age and no longer allow them to cruise in cabins by themselves .. for obvious reasons. RCL is a better choice for this kind of group.

My only comment is that you may be unable to avoid Mexico, because U.S. law requires a cruise liner that is flagged under a foreign nation (i.e. all except NCL's America) must visit an international port. So even a 3 day cruise would go to Ensenada.

How would you handle the kids activities? They wouldn't be able to drink, and a short cruise on Carnival == "Booze cruise". Would they all be signed into Club O2?

I'm not even sure Carnival would let them perform; at least Disneyland they could probably march through Main Street or play in one of the squares.

Keep in mind ,out of the US these "kids" can legally buy liquor in

most ports, They are legal in Mexico , Not only in bars , but there are

people who walk the streets where you will be going , selling beer

out of coolers to ANYONE who wants one . And probally anything else

they may want to try:eek::eek:

I have just organized my 3rd Senior Trip for after graduation. This time we have about 42 passengers. About half of those are Moms or Grandmas. I went on the first one and am going on this one. (I am one of the grandmas) The rules are as they have stated. If the parent of a passenger is not on the ship then there must be someone 25 years of age in the cabin with that passenger.

I have 18 cabins booked and we worked it out so that we have the adult in those cabins.. We live in a small town so it is not like sailing with a large BAND. We will only have 36 in our graduating class. These people have known each other for most of their lives. I am the TA but one of the parents acts as the coordinator with the parents & students. It works for us but you need someone to work with groups for you.

When you berth the cabins they really quiz you about these students under 21.

Fire is CORRECT...

Didn't go on a band sponsored cruise, but on our spring break cruise in 2009 there were 2 or 3 different high school bands on that cruise. I did talk with one of the chaperones and they were all having a blast. He said at that point they had no issues with the kids misbehaving. They did perform on the cruise a couple of times - I believe in the afternoon. I meant to go to one of the performances, but for some reason didn't make it.

HTE Dance in Texas does a 4 day Carnival cruise in January for Drill Team girls to perform on the ship for the past 5 years in a row and is doing one this January. They are allowed to get off in Cozumel and do whatever they want. The group is always over 50 girls that qualified during summer camps to attend and they do not have chaperones in every room. Parents are always invited to go but due to cost $750 head, most can not make it.

It can be done and it is easy as long as you work with the group booking department. They love having groups like this on board because it provides extra entertainment for the passengers.

Just thought I would share since my daughter has gone every year since her freshman year and it will be memories she will never forget.

Our band is going on a Carnival cruise this spring. We also went on a Carnival cruise in 2008. Our chorus is also going with us. In 2008, we had about 150 students and 100 parents. This year, we will probably have just as many. The majority of the parents were not chaperones. Prior to 2008, our band director has taken many bands on cruises.

Our activities: Our chorus sung as the cruise pulled into port in the Bahamas. Our jazz band also performed on board. After arriving in the Bahamas, our marching band marched off of the ship into a town square and performed. If I recall correctly, our jazz band was able to rehearse on board. Our marching band did not. We rehearsed at the hotel the day before boarding the ship. Our instruments were stored in a cabin that served as our "storage" cabin. We worked directly with the Tourism ministry in order to set up on parade and performance in the Bahamas.

Rooms: In 2008 and this year, the kids are rooming together. No adults in the room. This is the area where I think Carnival has changed. We are being charged approximately $160 more for the cruise than what you can book the trip directly from Carnival. Carnival is making us use an educational tour group. The only way to reduce the price is to assign an adult in each room, which we do not want to do. We've heard that it's because students can't buy alcohol. But after reading this discussion thread, I believe they're trying to discourage student groups. Something must have happened recently. I also wonder if its the embarcation port. In 2008, we traveled out of Port Canaveral, FL. This year, Charleston, SC.

Supervision: We had one chaperone per four students & the chaperones were assigned specific students. So each chaperone had direct responsibility of four kids instead of 100. But we kept eyes on all of them. Of course, no mixed gender rooms. The students were able to choose their roommates. Supervision--We had a chaperone on duty in the room hallway at all times--including overnight. That way we can see what's going on in the halls. (We do this on every trip--whether a cruise or other trip.) We worked with the cruise line to assign the rooms. Chaperone rooms & non-Chaperone parent rooms were spaced throughout the floor so kids weren't in one section and parents in another. The kids had curfews every night. Our band director would meet with the students each day--if any problems--early curfew. Purposefully, the last night, early curfew that was about 45 minutes after the nightly meeting. At night, we did the curfew check and placed masking tape on the door & we may have signed the masking tape. So, if someone slipped by the chaperone in the hallway, we knew the door seal had been broken. Any students who got in trouble were subject to discipline, including suspension, by the school when we returned. We've never had a problem on our trips. Our kids aren't even noisy. In ports, the students were only permitted to go off the ship with their assigned chaperone. The chaperones did work it out so they would take groups of kids to different places even if it wasn't one of their assigned kids. But the key was communication between the chaperones. When traveling out of country, the head chaperone keeps all passports and the passports are collected when the kids check-in for the trip at the school. We have a trip contract and behavior expectations sheet that students and parents must sign.

Also, on the East Coast, a band cruise isn't uncommon. There are actually cruise ships that offer on-board band competitions. There was a band from Kansas on-board with us in 2008. I believe their jazz band also performed.

Hope this helps

i do know at least in the past, school sponsored programs were allowed. Teens would be booked in cabins and adults did NOT have to stay in the room with them.

my daughter was part of a select group of drill team members invited to go but at the time she could not go (under 18 and permission from other parent blah blah blah mess)

also, we were on a cruise with a band and they were able to have a special performance that was listed in the fun times. the band played in the theater and it was noted that it was not a a CCL sponsored concert, but open to all. however, this was not a high school band, but a musical band/singers etc.

This was a few years ago....maybe about 4 or so.

Exactly!! Flutes and trumpets are one thing....but tubas are something else!![/quote

I'm sure you didn't realize but trumpets are MUCH louder than tubas.... As an old high school tuba player, I don't want my old instrument getting a bad name! 8)

The Band trip would be booked through a educational tour company; complete with a guide on board the entire time. The cost of the cruise is much higher than regular cruise prices because it includes a guide, tips, and insurance. Students would not be playing music in their cabins; it would be a scheduled performace in a public area on the ship.

I'm hoping for some comments from someone who has actually done a cruise as part of a official group.

We tried doing a High School Graduation cruise years ago through Carnival and were told we had to go through an educational tour company.

Good Luck!

The rules are different for school groups. My oldest daughter went with choir on RCCL and CCL in high school - I'm thinking it was freshman & junior year. My younger daughter went with drill team on CCL. I know they had no adult in their cabin.

KML1975,

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight! Our group will be 20-40, not nearly as large as your group. We are planning to depart out of Long Beach. I'm hoping the students enjoy listening to the music onboard as much as playing music.

Archived