High School Band Cruise on Carnival?

happyhiker

We are looking at a spring trip for high school band students on a Carnival cruise departing California. Does anyone have experience, suggestions, comments, advise? We want an experience where the students can perform on board and have fun. How does Carnival treat groups of chaperoned teens? Parents are concerned about Mexico, so we may not be departing the ship for Mexican ports. The trip will cost about $1000 per student so we want to assure parents that it is worth the expense to send their child on the trip.

We are looking at a spring trip for high school band students on a Carnival cruise departing California. Does anyone have experience, suggestions, comments, advise? We want an experience where the students can perform on board and have fun. How does Carnival treat groups of chaperoned teens? Parents are concerned about Mexico, so we may not be departing the ship for Mexican ports. The trip will cost about $1000 per student so we want to assure parents that it is worth the expense to send their child on the trip.

I didn't think Carnival would let you book rooms of just teens, did you check with them?

If the teens parents or legal guarandians are not onboard, someone aged 25 or older must be booked in the cabin. Carnival is one of the most strict with younger folks bookings.

I dont know they have sound proof rooms where the band can play either. If one person complains the policy is the instruments will be confiscated.

OP: I would suggest calling the Carnival group department. You may be able to work something out for your group to have some private space to play/practice. As Fire said they will not let teens book cabins alone. There has to be adults along also, at least one for each cabin. Once the group with adults get onboard they can change cabins around to make everyone happy.

The Band trip would be booked through a educational tour company; complete with a guide on board the entire time. The cost of the cruise is much higher than regular cruise prices because it includes a guide, tips, and insurance. Students would not be playing music in their cabins; it would be a scheduled performace in a public area on the ship.

I'm hoping for some comments from someone who has actually done a cruise as part of a official group.

As someone suggested, it would be best to contact the Carnival Group Dept., or a TA who has extensive experience in dealing with Carnival's groups dept.

I thought there was a policy in place to accommodate groups, such as you're describing. There are requirements for chaperones, but they are not the standard rules for people under 21 traveling.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, you are looking for the band members to play on the ship, such as entertaining the passengers. If this is the case, that is something that Carnival would have to decide. I know that I have been on sailings where we were entertained by groups from the local area, but I don't remember if it was Carnival or not.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I have done this with a TX drill team about 8 years ago. I was not the one who planned it (I was just the principal in charge of drill team which is a whole other story), so do not know the logistics. I do remember that the girls had practice time and they performed 1 or 2 times over the course of the 4 day cruise. (They also had a practice).

There was not an adult in each cabin. I was in a cabin with the head of the drill team -- we did do a bed check every night. There were several parents on the cruise, but not 1 in each cabin.

I would call Carnival groups and see what the requirements are.

I have done this with a TX drill team about 8 years ago. I was not the one who planned it (I was just the principal in charge of drill team which is a whole other story), so do not know the logistics. I do remember that the girls had practice time and they performed 1 or 2 times over the course of the 4 day cruise. (They also had a practice).

There was not an adult in each cabin. I was in a cabin with the head of the drill team -- we did do a bed check every night. There were several parents on the cruise, but not 1 in each cabin.

I would call Carnival groups and see what the requirements are.

The requirements are as I posted above.

Im guessing that either the requirements changed in the last 8 years or they waived them for your group.

Many younger groups wind up on RCL because Carnival is so strict.

Since you dont believe me, these are the requirements .. note that the older teens can only book alone with parent or guardian on the ship.

Passenger Age

Policy Details

18- 20 years of age

Can book a cabin anywhere on the ship as long as the parents, grandparents or legal guardians are on same sailing. Everyone in that minor age cabin needs to be 18-20 years of age.

13 – 17 years of age

Can have their own cabin as long as it is located within 3 staterooms (this is the maximum number of staterooms allowed) from their parents, grandparents or legal guardian.

12 years and under

Must be booked in parents’ cabin, no exceptions.

Note:

It is mandatory that all minor age bookings be cross referenced with the parents’, grandparents’ or legal guardian’s booking.

Carnival will document all bookings on their side as well.

There must be a way that Carnival allows this type of group/booking of the rooms. I know a woman who chaperones such "overnight" trips for the high school band and agreed to be a chapeone on a cruise like you describe for the orchestra.

Unfortunately - she swore "NEVER AGAIN"! Unlike a hotel where you can seperate the boys from the girls - the cabins were all located in the same area with the adult rooms mixed in and she said it was very diffiuclt to keep the kids out of each other's rooms! She also said that she did not like the fact that the kids could roam the ship - day or night - without any adult supervision. Rarely was she able to account for all of the students on her "list" at the same time because "Johnny is at the deli and Suzy went to the gift shop"....

Over all I am not sure a cruise is the best "group" trip for a HS group - for lots of reasons - even with a guide/educational tour company making the arrangements and I say that from the first hand experience of having organized HS band trips to NYC, the theme parks in Orlando and the Gator Bowl for the past 12 years. Taking students out of the country would add a whole new level of concern for me!

If it is something you are seriously considering I think there are logistical issues that you will want to address with the tour company, Carnival, the parents and the school district.

I haven't taken a group on a cruise, but over the years have taken student groups on service trips to NY, South Dakota, Colorado, Belize, Mexico, etc. It's lots and lots of work but was such a great learning experience for them and for me. Some of the kids and I keep in touch even 10-12 years later.

Are any of the band moms or dads travel agents perhaps?

Hope it works out that you guys can go and wishing you a fabulous trip!

The Band trip would be booked through a educational tour company; complete with a guide on board the entire time. The cost of the cruise is much higher than regular cruise prices because it includes a guide, tips, and insurance. Students would not be playing music in their cabins; it would be a scheduled performace in a public area on the ship.

I'm hoping for some comments from someone who has actually done a cruise as part of a official group.

Even so, that would not curtail the age limitations. Needs to be an adult booked in EVERY room.

So pay $1000 and just stay on the ship??? As a parent of a teen, I wouldnt pay that knowing they would not get off and experience some culture.

If the teens parents or legal guarandians are not onboard, someone aged 25 or older must be booked in the cabin. Carnival is one of the most strict with younger folks bookings.

I dont know they have sound proof rooms where the band can play either. If one person complains the policy is the instruments will be confiscated.

This is not ture. on student trips. Son went on Senior Sneek on the Paradise in 2006. Put 3 to 4 in a room. Boys with boys and girls with girls. Had to have 1 chaparone to 5 kids.

If you are talking about them bringing heir instruments and playing that will be a large expense. Carnival should be able to tell you what you would be able to do and not do. We had a list od the Dos and Don'ts that we and the kids had to sig.

Thekids had a ball.

Even so, that would not curtail the age limitations. Needs to be an adult booked in EVERY room.

Although I do not know the specific rules and how they apply to these kinds of group trips - that was not the case for the trip that I discussed earlier. There was a required ratio of adults to kids - but the kids were 4 to a cabin - and adults stayed 2 in a cabin.

There were NO adults in the rooms with the students - and if you think of that from a school districts and parent perspective who would want and adult that they may - or may not kow - staying in a room with their high school student. :confused:

Again...the rooming issue is just ONE of the reasons - along with many others - that I do not think a cruise is a good choice for a high school group.

This is not ture. on student trips. Son went on Senior Sneek on the Paradise in 2006. Put 3 to 4 in a room. Boys with boys and girls with girls. Had to have 1 chaparone to 5 kids.

If you are talking about them bringing heir instruments and playing that will be a large expense. Carnival should be able to tell you what you would be able to do and not do. We had a list od the Dos and Don'ts that we and the kids had to sig.

Thekids had a ball.

Exactly!! Flutes and trumpets are one thing....but tubas are something else!!

Thekids had a ball.

The rules I posted are new since 2006 .. so how do you know that the new rules are out the window and Im wrong exactly?

Carnival also has rules changed about bringing instruments onboard that changed recently, which I also quoted.

Im just stating what the rules are. If a group can get Carnival to give a waiver for a HS group ... thats their decision. The rules are as I posted.

So pay $1000 and just stay on the ship??? As a parent of a teen, I wouldnt pay that knowing they would not get off and experience some culture.

Good point - that is a lot of $$$ to just be on the ship.

And that begs the question what exactly would they do with the students while in port :confused:.

If they are not getting off I would hope their would be some planned group activities to keep them amused. Because any group of high school students - left to fill their own time - are bound to find some trouble!

Last year on the Paradise 3 day a kid's theatre group was onboard. They had one performance for the passengers. I am sure they had a rehearsal or two. Didn't impact the Carnival performances.

Is the high school band a traveling band? If so they already know what is expected of them.

DD's band has very strict rules as to how the kids were to behave on tour and curfews are set-up. One thing that was good- once curfew was in force the doors would have a piece of painters tape across the doorjam. If it was broken in the morning the kids got in TROUBLE. Parents, in rotation, would patrolling the halls. Friend's DD's band had alcohol issues, the offenders were sent home at their parents expense.

What are the rules for adults drinking as part of the chaperone group, onboard and onshore? The kid organizations (4-H San Bernardino) my kids were members of doesn't allow alcohol being consumed by adults during functions.

IIRC a few years back a student group was thrown off because the chaperones were letting the kids drink. (Don't remember the exact details, someone here surely has a better memory than I.)

From Carnival's Statement of Group Requests....notice the last paragraph

Minors are considered to be under the age of 21. Effective 10/01/09, guests between 13 and 17 years of age must travel with their parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian in either: the same stateroom or can be separated by up to 3 staterooms down or across the hall. If assigned in separate staterooms, cabin assignment with names and full per person deposits are required.

Guests under the age of 13 must travel in the same stateroom with one of the adults previously mentioned, including guests under 14 years of age traveling in a balcony stateroom. Guests 18 through 20 years of age traveling with a parent, close relative, or court-appointed legal guardian are not required to be within close proximity of the adult’s stateroom if assigned in separate staterooms. Guests under the age of 21 not traveling with one of the following (parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian) MUST travel with a guardian 25 years or older in the same stateroom.

If the group consists of 8 staterooms or more with guests who are not traveling with their parent, grandparent or court-appointed legal guardian, guests in those staterooms will be required to pre-pay gratuities and those minors will be required to pay $100 per person damage deposits. Please note the drinking age on all Carnival ships is 21. Once onboard the ship, minors are required to deposit $150 cash on 7 day cruises and $100 on 3/4 day cruises for their sail and sign cards if not in possession of their own credit card.

Archived