Civitavecchia whats the town like

deltatango

Worth is totally a decision only you can make, as we don't know you and your interests.

It is a medium size comunnity with a downtown. Is there a lot of sites? No, not really. But as we were able to re-supply on Prosecco to take on board, it was worth it to us.

Terry and Brenda,

Let us know how you liked it, I'll be doing a back to back there (in late-November) and I'm thinking that there isn't really enough time to get to Roma San Pietro, see something, and get back to the ship by 3:30 pm. Seems like about 3 hours of train travel and 4 hours of sight-seeing.

Terry and Brenda,

Let us know how you liked it, I'll be doing a back to back there (in late-November) and I'm thinking that there isn't really enough time to get to Roma San Pietro, see something, and get back to the ship by 3:30 pm. Seems like about 3 hours of train travel and 4 hours of sight-seeing.

And YES, you can ride the free port shuttle bus from your ship to the port entrance and then walk into town. I did a back-to-back via Civitavecchia a few months ago and made the same decision. I wasn't certain how much time the ship would need to "process" me off one cruise and on to the next, so I didn't make any firm plans while in port. It turns out Royal Caribbean didn't seem to have the back-to-back process down very well on the Mariner that week and it took until about 10:00 before I was in a position to get off the ship. They made several of us wait about an hour in the medical facility while they figured out somethings. Then I got off the ship. I just walked around Civitavecchia for a couple hours. I sat along the waterfront on a bench for a while. I had lunch at a small eatery I found on a side street and then headed back to the ship around 1:15. There really wasn't much to do of excitement, but I also didn't research to do anything. I people watched (including the scurrying people coming from the train station to board the ships).

Terry and Brenda,

There is PLENTY of time to get into Rome and have a great day and be back before your ship sails--1000's of passengers do it every year. If you have never been to Rome, I really can't imagine not making the journey and staying either on the ship or in the little port town. It is a very easy and inexpensive trip.

Civitavecchia is it worth the visit and can you walk out of the port to get to the town

The town is actually very nice. We have been there numerous times and on our last cruise we spent more time there this time around.

You can either walk from the ship to the port entrance and from there you are just about in the town or you can take the shuttle from the ship to the port entrance.

The town continues to be renovated. They are now leveraging their ability to attract visitors to stay there rather than go into Rome. There are lots of shops and cafes and lots of streets to walk up and down. There is a very nice catholic church and also a historic site to see and also a very nice outdoor food market that also sells some non food items. There is the train station and a beach area and you can just enjoy a leisurely day walking arond there and then go back to the ship to enjoy that as well.

Keith

CathyCruises:

I'm not so sure about having plenty of time. I've been there twice before on cruises where this was just a stop on a cruise and we had until about 6:30 to get back on the ship.

This time I'm on a back to back. My cruise documents say that the ship sails at 5pm and passengers have to be on board 90 minutes before that. They don't say that back to back cruisers are exempt. So that means that I have to be on the ship at 3:30. There is a train that gets into Civitavecchia at 15:16, if that train is delayed by more than 10 minutes I'd be late. So, that leaves the train that leaves Roma San Pietro at 13:59. Let's round that off to 2 pm.

If, as an earlier poster mentioned, I can't get off the ship until 10 am; I won't get to Roma San Pietro until 11:23. If I could get off at 9 am I still wouldn't get to San Pietro until 10:24; that would give me about 3 and a half hours in Rome, from about 10:30 am to 2 pm.

I'm going to keep looking for something of interest that closer to the port.

I'd like to add that for someone that has never been to Rome before and little prospect of going back soon, you should take the train and enjoy your limited time in Rome. The Vatican is a short walk (about 10 minutes or so) away and there is lots to see and do inside the Vatican walls.

I've been there before but I have never walked around Civitavecchia, just walked from the train to the port entrance.

Archived