I'm surprised cruisers don't tip more than standard

valtandc

In reading about the increase of tips.....

....I'm really surprised that people don't tip more than was the standard of $10/day. That's like a basic guideline and should be considered a minimum.

These people work there tales off for us.....

"I'm surprised cruisers don't tip more than standard"

What are you basing this on? Many post/brag here about the extra tips they leave the staff. To me extra tipping is a personal thing between the staff and myself.

....I'm really surprised that people don't tip more than was the standard of $10/day. That's like a basic guideline and should be considered a minimum.

Unofficial survey sez...

...a good number do.

Many of us do Val but we just don't talk a lot about it, there are a few really verminous anti tipping people that will just flay you for talking about tipping extra, so we do it on the DL;)

Pettiness and Scrooges won't ruin my day, but why rile them up????

Cheers, Carole

so do i

yes, some tell us extremely tall tales, but no where does it say that the guideline is a minimum.

For those that feel the cruise lines should take care of it, what do you do at restaurants, etc.? Do you not tip there either? Those of you who don't tip evidently never worked in the service industry!

Do you not realize that if they did that the cost of the cruise would just go up?

Please don't stiff the employees who work so hard.

Do you understand what a tip is?? It is not for doing there job, it is for going above and beyond expectations. Most people tip based on this and keep it to themselves as "tipping" is a personal matter. I , like many others "work there tales off"at their jobs to be able to cruise, what someone tips or doesn't tip is none of my business as I do not know if they got bad service, average service or above and beyond service. If you really want to tip so bad, forego your cruise and give all the money you would have paid for the cruise to employees, that way you can be guilt free. People on here try to guilt people into paying employees salaries by calling them"cheap" ect... It's simple great service equals great tip, just doing the job your paid to do equals average tip, bad service equals bad tip. If you feel sorry for them, start a charity for them.;)

Sticking with the auto tips is not stiffing the staff.......nor is it a rule that it should be considered the minimum......it's fair and anything other than that is a personal choice.......

Really that is not what the op is insinuating:rolleyes:

he's not, but as some threads take on a life of their own, some people over tip because others take their tips off. some read into here, and some fall into it from the sob stories they get from their servers on board.

Not voicing my opinion on whether or not you should or should not tip more, just giving a different perspective. As you know, most of the staff are from other countries. Most of these countries have very favorable exchange rates to the U.S. dollar. For example, $1 = 47 rupees in India. When I go to India, I can take my entire staff (8 people) out to a nice breakfast for the equivalent of about $6.00.

While the tips seem low by our standards, they are very high to some of the staffs' standards based on the exchange rate. For example, while I am in India, an appropriate tip (according to my team there) for a bellhop is 5-10 Rupees (about 25 - 50 cents). When I tipped a guy what would have been considered appropriate in the U.S. (a buck a bag), I was told by my Indian colleagues that it was considered obnoxious to tip the equivalent of a week's pay for carrying 4 bags to my room.

Just keep this in perspective if you are feeling guilty about only tipping the Indian room steward the standard $10 for a week cruise, as this is very good money for him back home. If you want to tip more, by all means do, just don't feel guilty that the American dollar is still pretty strong in most countries.

what you are describing is the effect of the auto tip system...

If you automatically charge the pax for the standard tips...then why should anyone give more? Think about it...if they charge you 20% in a restaurant then that is saying that is the amount they want and you don't have to tip any more....

auto tips are the same thing.......and btw..it is a double edged sword....if you tell a pax how much they are going to be auto charged for tips...that should suffice and nobody needs to give more....

there is no need to argue the above statement because that is why the auto tips are there....

anyone who gives more is doing it for a personal reason...which means absolutely nothing to anyone else but themselves....

so you can add to the auto tips in the form of cash.....and it makes no difference to anyone else....

so you can NOT add to the auto tips in the form of cash...and that too makes absolutely no difference to anyone else....

what I do makes no difference to you..and what you do makes no difference to me....that is how the autotip system is made to work....

and as I posted on a different thread.....I believe the crew would get more money if the autotip system was abolished.......as pax guilt would cause them to tip more....than the autotip

aslso...I am actually surprised that so many do give more.....CCL tells you the autotip is enough for good service...so shouldn't that be enough? And shouldn't good service..even above and beyond be expected? Regardless of how much you tip... Just sayin'

BTW...what I do is autotip and then a little bit more like $20 to steward and waiter....I know I don't need to explain this but I am sure someone will accuse me of undertipping based on my above post. LOL

If you automatically charge the pax for the standard tips...then why should anyone give more? Think about it...if they charge you 20% in a restaurant then that is saying that is the amount they want and you don't have to tip any more....

auto tips are the same thing.......and btw..it is a double edged sword....if you tell a pax how much they are going to be auto charged for tips...that should suffice and nobody needs to give more....

there is no need to argue the above statement because that is why the auto tips are there....

anyone who gives more is doing it for a personal reason...which means absolutely nothing to anyone else but themselves....

so you can add to the auto tips in the form of cash.....and it makes no difference to anyone else....

so you can NOT add to the auto tips in the form of cash...and that too makes absolutely no difference to anyone else....

what I do makes no difference to you..and what you do makes no difference to me....that is how the autotip system is made to work....

and as I posted on a different thread.....I believe the crew would get more money if the autotip system was abolished.......as pax guilt would cause them to tip more....than the autotip

aslso...I am actually surprised that so many do give more.....CCL tells you the autotip is enough for good service...so shouldn't that be enough? And shouldn't good service..even above and beyond be expected? Regardless of how much you tip... Just sayin'

BTW...what I do is autotip and then a little bit more like $20 to steward and waiter....I know I don't need to explain this but I am sure someone will accuse me of undertipping based on my above post. LOL

yup. 6 or more in a land restaurant get charged an autotip of 18%. i guess some here are suggesting they even tip on top of that!

a good number of people on any cruise ship also pay nothing towards tips.

Many feel that the cruise lines should take care of the workers

tell me why that is wrong? Just askin'...why would it be so bad for the cruise line to take care of the workers? I think they already do that don't they?

I just don't understand all this guilt over tipping...and how little the poor workers make....because they do quite well according to these boards.....probably because of all the guilt laden overtippers.

What exactly does everyone ask of the crew that justify overtipping? How much ice does one really need to survive? We ask nothing and do the auto tips plus a little more.

Your explantion regarding the auto tip is spot on. It also shows when left on you are not undertipping....yet you felt you had to explain you were tipping more for not being accused of undertipping:confused:

Archived