I'm surprised cruisers don't tip more than standard

valtandc

Not voicing my opinion on whether or not you should or should not tip more, just giving a different perspective. As you know, most of the staff are from other countries. Most of these countries have very favorable exchange rates to the U.S. dollar. For example, $1 = 47 rupees in India. When I go to India, I can take my entire staff (8 people) out to a nice breakfast for the equivalent of about $6.00.

While the tips seem low by our standards, they are very high to some of the staffs' standards based on the exchange rate. For example, while I am in India, an appropriate tip (according to my team there) for a bellhop is 5-10 Rupees (about 25 - 50 cents). When I tipped a guy what would have been considered appropriate in the U.S. (a buck a bag), I was told by my Indian colleagues that it was considered obnoxious to tip the equivalent of a week's pay for carrying 4 bags to my room.

Just keep this in perspective if you are feeling guilty about only tipping the Indian room steward the standard $10 for a week cruise, as this is very good money for him back home. If you want to tip more, by all means do, just don't feel guilty that the American dollar is still pretty strong in most countries.

nice tip, no pun intended. I'll just ask each person assigned to take care of me what country they are from and then look for the conversion rate for that country.

I should save handsomely.;)

Bill

Repo, what do you do at restaurants?

I can't speak for Repo, but as a server, I can tell you that there are plenty of people out there who do not tip AT ALL.

You can't change their attitude or their understanding of the business.

Thankfully, there are always a few out there that go above and beyond and it does help make up for the *others*

I don't fall for their stories. I just know that they work very long hours and do work hard for their money! I guess I just believe in tipping for good service. I have never had bad service. I have had tablemates though that no matter what you did for them they would complain.

I think a lot of people tip more than the $10/day. I leave the $10 or $11.50 now as my auto-tip and usually pay in advance. But when we board, we usually give our steward and extra $20.00, because my hubby really likes to have fresh ice, extra towels, etc. And if we get great service - then we give an additional tip to our steward and our waiter. What I don't get is the envelope for the maitre-d... Most the time he's never seen or spoken to us on any of our cruises. And the one time I had the need to speak to the maitre-d, he was incredibly rude. I didn't take it personally, I think he was just stressed and overworked, but still. Why would he get a special tip from me? I am sure someone here knows why and will set me straight. But until then. I'll stick with our tipping procedures.

nice tip, no pun intended. I'll just ask each person assigned to take care of me what country they are from and then look for the conversion rate for that country.

I should save handsomely.;)

Bill

I can save you some time here Bill. Unless they are from a country on the Euro or the UK, then you can rest easy that you are exploiting the exchange rate, not the person. When was the last time your room steward was European?

There is a reason that these cruise lines actively recruit in countries with high poverty and a handsome exchange rate. They know that they will get folks who will work their tails off for a modest amount of American money, but a great wage in their home country. It's a win - win - win for the cruise line, the employee, and the passengers.

We would not be able to afford cruises if their were staffed with Americans who expected American wages and American gratuities.

I don't fall for their stories. I just know that they work very long hours and do work hard for their money! I guess I just believe in tipping for good service. I have never had bad service. I have had tablemates though that no matter what you did for them they would complain.

I have never had tablemates , but have set next to people that have the same waiter as we did . Now I am like what the heck are they complaining about , but every night , gripe gripe , call the matre'd over he kisses their butt and still not good enough. i will swear people come onboard trying for a free cruise or a discount on a future cruise. I have heard people brag that they very rarely pay for meals , so those same people have to try to get something free on a cruise .

A couple of points:

1. When we cruise, we know, in advance, that they auto tips are on. We know that if we choose we can remove them (no matter what personal opinion folks have about it). We know that we can tip above and beyond that should we choose.

2. My opinion, Carnival is increasing the auto tip amount for 2 reasons. One, its been 10 years, and many people do not tip above the auto tip amount. Two, people remove the auto tips, and I am guessing its being removed in an increasing rate due to people trying to keep their vacations while the economy is not as strong. (Right or wrong, there are people who look to cut corners anywhere they can, and the auto tip is a spot that some might choose to cut)

3. My opinion, the auto tip wouldnt need to be increased if folks didnt remove it. Consider this:

If a cruise ship with 2500 passengers had 10% of the passengers remove the auto tip and tip absolutely nothing else on a 5 day cruise, this would equate to $12,500 in lost tips ($10/day per person * 5 days * 250 non-tippers) The other 2250 people, paying $1.50 more per day comes to $16,875 in increased tips. Essentially, this is like running around a restaurant and leaving tips for those who chose to not tip.

Now I have no clue what percentage of people remove the auto tips. It may be far less or far more than I projected. I also agree with everyone who says tips are for outstanding service, but really, how many cruises have you been on where every aspect of the cruise was just mediocre? These tips go to many of the unseen players who make the experience great.

Lets face it, cruising is a hospitality industry, and like almost all hospitality industries, tipping is a major part of the income for the workers. The difference with this and most other places is that the tips are strongly recommended. They are not enforced (like restaurants do with larger parties) on Carnival. Perhaps they should be, other cruise lines do (or so I have heard, I havent personally experienced it). If you are the type who doesnt tip at a restaurant or the bellhop or the porter, then you are within your right not to tip here, but you have to be able to accept what comes with that, including ridicule from those you tell that you dont tip. Do as you like.

If you have read any of the dozens of threads on CC about this topic, you are clearly informed to know about all the reasons why you should tip. If you still dont want to, your choice. If you want to tip higher, lower, or as recommended, then again, your choice. Carnivals "increase" is merely a suggestion that what was once acceptable as tips go is now less than it should be and are they are increasing their highly recommended suggestion. Take it or leave it.

Exactly right, these people work their butts off to make our vacation pleasant and should be rewarded accordingly. I use the "norm" as a base and then reward as I see fit on top of that.. more smiles,, more money.. lol it also makes me happy knowing how much they appreciate their above-the-miminum tips.

tell me why that is wrong? Just askin'...why would it be so bad for the cruise line to take care of the workers? I think they already do that don't they?

I just don't understand all this guilt over tipping...and how little the poor workers make....because they do quite well according to these boards.....probably because of all the guilt laden overtippers.

What exactly does everyone ask of the crew that justify overtipping? How much ice does one really need to survive? We ask nothing and do the auto tips plus a little more.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cruiseline taking care of their workers, but right now they do not. At least not the way you expect them to do it.

Whether we like it or not, the social contract is that you are expected to tip (the suggested amount). Nobody should be asked to tip more. Unlike OP, I would not judge anyone who does not give extra, but I will judge anyone who does not pay the expected tip, unless the service was absolutely horrendous (never experienced this happen).

Do you understand what a tip is?? It is not for doing there job, it is for going above and beyond expectations. Most people tip based on this and keep it to themselves as "tipping" is a personal matter. I , like many others "work there tales off"at their jobs to be able to cruise, what someone tips or doesn't tip is none of my business as I do not know if they got bad service, average service or above and beyond service. If you really want to tip so bad, forego your cruise and give all the money you would have paid for the cruise to employees, that way you can be guilt free. People on here try to guilt people into paying employees salaries by calling them"cheap" ect... It's simple great service equals great tip, just doing the job your paid to do equals average tip, bad service equals bad tip. If you feel sorry for them, start a charity for them.;)

Love it!!! I could not agree more. :)

In reading about the increase of tips.....

....I'm really surprised that people don't tip more than was the standard of $10/day. That's like a basic guideline and should be considered a minimum.

These people work there tales off for us.....

How do you know they/we don't tip more than the standard?

I remember preparing for my 1st cruise with carnival. I read these boards & found out I could remove the tips. I was excited to save almost $150.

My 1st day on board the ship my opinion totally changed. :D Those people do anything under the sun to make you have an amazing time. Not only did i leave the regular tips on there, but I got a ton of envelopes and tipped extra to the people who really made my trip great..... and there were ALOT of them. It was worth it to me.

-I had another cruse with NCL, but we won't talk about that service. :mad:

Your explantion regarding the auto tip is spot on. It also shows when left on you are not undertipping....yet you felt you had to explain you were tipping more for not being accused of undertipping:confused:

LOL LOL....I only add those little tweeks to my posts because I know how often the posters here pick up on silly things....

I could just see someone saying that since I was defending the autotip system that I NEVER give more....LOL....so just trying to beat them to the punch...

I would expect a reply such as.."Well, if you don't want to give extra that is your business"

When of course all I was doing was defending the autotip system...and even then I would be accused of undertipping....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cruiseline taking care of their workers, but right now they do not. At least not the way you expect them to do it.

Whether we like it or not, the social contract is that you are expected to tip (the suggested amount). Nobody should be asked to tip more. Unlike OP, I would not judge anyone who does not give extra, but I will judge anyone who does not pay the expected tip, unless the service was absolutely horrendous (never experienced this happen).

why do we have to expect them to care for the crew to our standards? And what are our standards? I live in a modest house..is that up to your standard? I happen to love it. I have to clear my own street up here in Alaska of snow....do you do that where you live? I gladly do it. I have a dog sled as well and my dogs are well fed and healthy. Standards are subjective.

I would like to know how you seem to know that right now the cruiselines are not taking care of their workers? Are there laws that you know the cruiseline is breaking? Are they chaining them to their bunks? Working a 70 hour week may not be your standard and you may not take the job...but do you know if these workers are in forced labor? Did they give up a better job back home?

I still want to know what makes you think the cruiselines are not taking care of their workers? That is a terrible accusation for you to make..and if you truly believe it..and still continue to cruise...then you are guilty as well.

The next time you cruise maybe you should ask the crew if they need any help escaping. Sheesh! I know I am making some Devil's Advocate points.....but I just wonder why we all feel so sorry for the crew....they are not prisoners by any means...nor should we ever expect to change their workload or contracts...that is not our place..and that is really why I am so heated up over the overtipping thing...the guilt that shows through on the part of the pax is amazing....why are we always thinking we have to hand out money to everyone that crosses our paths? Scammers love this you know.

why do we have to expect them to care for the crew to our standards? And what are our standards? I live in a modest house..is that up to your standard? I happen to love it. I have to clear my own street up here in Alaska of snow....do you do that where you live? I gladly do it. I have a dog sled as well and my dogs are well fed and healthy. Standards are subjective.

I would like to know how you seem to know that right now the cruiselines are not taking care of their workers? Are there laws that you know the cruiseline is breaking? Are they chaining them to their bunks? Working a 70 hour week may not be your standard and you may not take the job...but do you know if these workers are in forced labor? Did they give up a better job back home?

I still want to know what makes you think the cruiselines are not taking care of their workers? That is a terrible accusation for you to make..and if you truly believe it..and still continue to cruise...then you are guilty as well.

The next time you cruise maybe you should ask the crew if they need any help escaping. Sheesh! I know I am making some Devil's Advocate points.....but I just wonder why we all feel so sorry for the crew....they are not prisoners by any means...nor should we ever expect to change their workload or contracts...that is not our place..and that is really why I am so heated up over the overtipping thing...the guilt that shows through on the part of the pax is amazing....why are we always thinking we have to hand out money to everyone that crosses our paths? Scammers love this you know.

I don't think, I KNOW, that cruiselines do not "take care" of their workers in the way you want them to do that - by paying them a fair wages. Just like the waiters in Alaska rely on tips to make a livable (in their country) wage, so do most of the crew on cruise lines. (It is even worse in US, where a waiter has to tip out front and back house as well report at least 8% of their receipts on income taxes regardless how much customer left. So obviously even though it is not required to tip in US, it is certainly expected and those who do not tip should understand that it cost waiter money to serve them).

In a way cruise lines try to take of the crew - by requiring those on Anytime dining to prepay a tip and by charging on board accounts of the rest of the cruisers. Those who want to remove the auto tips have to stand in "line of shame" and try to explain why they are removing the tips. I don't decide what the standards are, the cruise line does by charging me suggested tip. Based on the number of hours crew puts in every week, they definitely do not make minimum wage (by US laws).

It is accepted and common practice on most cruise lines and those who choose to cruise, should consider it a social contract to tip. As I mentioned previously, extra should neither be expected nor required. I saw that in your previous post you said that you pay recommended amount, so I am not sure what are you bent out of shape for?

By the way just like you, I don't feel that it is my responsibility to ensure that anyone receives a wage they feel they deserve. By paying suggested gratuity my part (of social contract) is done. If more is needed, a crew member does have a choice to quit or to lobby Carnival to increase suggested amount. (I do leave extra here and there, but only if I feel like it).

a good number of people on any cruise ship also pay nothing towards tips.

Many feel that the cruise lines should take care of the workers

We met a couple-she left the tips on and he did not-then, he felt like such a big deal when he tipped the waiters the last night a big tip-I hope there is that list people talk about that tells the servers who left tips on and who did not. He was a blowheart anyway and not a nice fellow all around-his female partner dumped him a few weeks after the cruise, after seeing how he acted on the cruise. :D

I don't think, I KNOW, that cruiselines do not "take care" of their workers in the way you want them to do that - by paying them a fair wages. Just like the waiters in Alaska rely on tips to make a livable (in their country) wage, so do most of the crew on cruise lines.

I think you sort of made the point for him / her here. What we consider a "fair" wage in the U.S. is, more than likely, a great wage in their home country. If the cruise lines were exploiting these guys, they would not be lining up to spend months away from their families to work for them.

I think you sort of made the point for him / her here. What we consider a "fair" wage in the U.S. is, more than likely, a great wage in their home country. If the cruise lines were exploiting these guys, they would not be lining up to spend months away from their families to work for them.

exactly!!

I agree standards of living are lower (much lower) in other countries, but I promise you (from the first hand experience) that in many countries from where Carnival hires now (i.e. Eastern Europe) the "guaranteed" wages paid by Carnival is not livable. The reason why all these people line up to work is that there are very few opportunities to make honest living in those countries and they are promised by Carnival that their wages will be substantially supplemented by tips (a fact confirmed to me by crew members on many occasions - I speak more than one language).

What you also did not quote from my message is that I said that if you look at how much crew gets in tips per week you will realize that the amount is still substantially lower than minimum wage in the US.

My point was that while it is not my responsibility to ensure that crew gets paid "fair" wages (whatever it might mean), it is my responsibility to fulfill social contract by paying suggested gratuity. I will argue very strongly with anyone who will try to say that they don't have to pay it because it is only "suggested". Please see my example above of how IRS and restaurants treat tips in US (which are not required). It is (almost) exactly the same argument about tips on the cruises and everyone who cruises should just pay it.

I am also not sure why that poster got so upset about my first post, I was not criticizing him/her - merely pointing out a widely known fact.

P.S. Please don't kid yourself into thinking that cruiselines do not exploit the crew - they certainly do due to the fact that in their homeland the opportunities are even worse than what the cruise line offers. However, it is up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to be "exploited" and if they decide that they do, so be it. Nevertheless, (and I think I am beating the dead horse over and over again) the cruise line's offer of employment implies that the wages will be supplemented by tips.

In reading about the increase of tips.....

....I'm really surprised that people don't tip more than was the standard of $10/day. That's like a basic guideline and should be considered a minimum.

These people work there tales off for us.....

We usually just ignore the automatic daily charge and then tip those who super serve us. Usually a bartender, waiter, steward....toward the end of the cruise. If someone makes our cruise more enjoyable, we tip them....over and above the daily charges.

There are those who choose to discuss the topic and there are those who don't. If I choose to discuss tipping with others, that is my choice.

If you want to keep it private, that is your choice.

Having been on many cruises, I've been asked by some pax on what I do. I have no problem discussing the issue.

What you do is your business. What I do is mine

Tipping is private it is up to the individuals/couples on what they want to tip and how much.

Do you understand what a tip is?? It is not for doing there job, it is for going above and beyond expectations. Most people tip based on this and keep it to themselves as "tipping" is a personal matter. I , like many others "work there tales off"at their jobs to be able to cruise, what someone tips or doesn't tip is none of my business as I do not know if they got bad service, average service or above and beyond service. If you really want to tip so bad, forego your cruise and give all the money you would have paid for the cruise to employees, that way you can be guilt free. People on here try to guilt people into paying employees salaries by calling them"cheap" ect... It's simple great service equals great tip, just doing the job your paid to do equals average tip, bad service equals bad tip. If you feel sorry for them, start a charity for them.;)

I just said "I am surprised". Relax tightwad and just take more bacon next time.

Archived