Mini review of Mykonos

cruise kitty

Mykonos was day 3 of our cruise.... or 2nd full day, depending on how one counts, anyhow... we were there from 1 to 10, & there were pretty much gale force winds, well, maybe not gale force, but it was windy!

I decided to skip my usual paranoid practice of lining up for tender tickets a couple hours ahead... big mistake, we got #47, which meant we were ashore around 3:30, yikes! at this point people had reached the cutting & pushing stage, mental note to always, always line up early!

Anyhow, after a rocky 10 minute tender, we stepped ashore, we had no real plans, due to the wind & chill, just wanted to wander & maybe get a bite to eat:

On the tender:

mykonos5.jpg

The famous windmills:

mykonos4.jpg

The maze like streets are riot of colors & sunshine:

mykonos1.jpg

mykonos3.jpg

mykonos2.jpg

We had a small snack at this seaside cafe:

mykonos6.jpg

It was a beautiful, windswept afternoon, we were back on board around 6 & ready to head to another delicious dinner in Blu.

Wow...thanks for the beautiful pics of Mykonos....that's on our itinerary in April/May on Equinox out of Rome...Is that the ship you were on or Solstice? I can't wait to cruise....the water looked a little rough going ashore....looked a little scary to me!!!

Beautiful photos; thanks for posting.

Thank you, & you're welcome!

Wow...thanks for the beautiful pics of Mykonos....that's on our itinerary in April/May on Equinox out of Rome...Is that the ship you were on or Solstice? I can't wait to cruise....the water looked a little rough going ashore....looked a little scary to me!!!

We were on the Equinox, it's a gorgeous ship! The tender over was actually fun, & a bit exciting, but you had step on & off very carefully!

I decided to skip my usual paranoid practice of lining up for tender tickets a couple hours ahead... big mistake, we got #47, which meant we were ashore around 3:30, yikes! at this point people had reached the cutting & pushing stage, mental note to always, always line up early!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. We will be in Mykonos in May. Could you explain the lining up for tender tickets for me. I have never had to do this before.

This sounds horrible. People cutting and pushing. What time did the ship tender?

How many hours were you in line?

"I decided to skip my usual paranoid practice of lining up for tender tickets a couple hours ahead... big mistake, we got #47, which meant we were ashore around 3:30, yikes! at this point people had reached the cutting & pushing stage, mental note to always, always line up early!"

Hi,

Regarding lining up for tenders, the "official" word for Mykonos was that tickets would be available shortly before tendering, however, folks were lined up for them by 9, we decided to eat in blu, & then walk around the upper decks, so I'm not certain what time they started actually handing them out.

You can hear the announcements all over the ship, so we relaxed at a bar & then had lunch in the buffet until our numbers were called. It was quite a surprise downstairs at the gangway area, people with much higher numbers shoving their way in, & some folks with no tickets just jumping into the line, but once you're near the security check & exit, everyone calms down.

I talked to some folks who were able to just walk right off around 4:30.

If there was a Mykonos on your own option, I'd have taken it, & then just instantly ditched the tour group.

We've tendered before quite a few times, & never, never experienced this, I think it had to do with the late arrival time. 2800 folks all wanted off the ship at 1, & they were only running 4 tenders in bouncy seas...

Also, in most tender ports, you have a good number of folks doing the ship excursions, which cuts down on the lines for the standard tenders, not true here, only 1 excursion offered.

Most tender days, they start running around 7am, we're up at 5, in line by 6, & never had a problem. Santorini was also a tender, & we were off smoothly & easily.

Beautiful photos thanks so much for sharing them. We were on the Equinox in September and they bring back many happy memories of being in Mykonos. We did the trip to Delos in the morning and hadn't realised how lovely Mykonos was before we started walking around when we returned.

Have to say glad that we were docked rather than tendered. :)

Alison

Mykonos was day 3 of our cruise.... or 2nd full day, depending on how one counts, anyhow...

I decided to skip my usual paranoid practice of lining up for tender tickets a couple hours ahead... big mistake, we got #47, which meant we were ashore around 3:30, yikes! at this point people had reached the cutting & pushing stage, mental note to always, always line up early!]

We spent a lovely low key day in Mykonos in September sailing in on the Silhouette. Thanks for reviving the memory. Having been tendered in on a previous cruise, we were happy to disembark at a new wharf down the road a ways, and be taken by bus into town, a very short ride. It is one port we always enjoy because it is so manageable.

Archived