Is it just me that thinks this about the NCL CC board?

LOVEMYMO

How does a poster get banned?

From the terms of service: "Repeated board violations and Guideline Reminders may permanently restrict your access to the message board." Essentially repeated violations of the board guidelines would do it.

Just a couple of comments

My July sailing on Carnival Destiny had a really lousy roll call. I started one, and it fell off the edge of the earth. Someone else then started another roll call and about 6 people showed up to say hello, one of them being a member of a reunion that was to have many people on board. (So why weren't they out there setting up activities and such?) So, I was let down by that roll call.

On my SUN sailing last October we had a totally awsome roll call, over 2,000 posts, a lot of interaction and just a great bunch of people. So I don't think one line over the other in the roll call area.

On the CCL boards I notice A LOT of "ooh single digit dance", "I'm boarding tomorrow" and "counting down the days" type posts. If that floats your boat, well so be it, however I find it cluttering up the boards. This is my opinion. Also, the CCL reviews tend to have embedded pictures in them making them quite long which is fine, but they aren't really reviews at all, more like travelogs.

So, I think we're just a bit more laid back on the NCL boards, maybe we don't need to broadcast our short time to get attention. :p

I completely agree.

Not true. You just cannot search their old names. Their identity is still there along with all of their old posts. CC does not want to reduce their member count!!

OK sorry I have to laugh at this, but we have an Oct 2011 member with 34 posts arguing with a 2009 member with 3700+ posts.

Now I'm thinking you have either lurked for years without joining or you are speaking from direct experience to make your argument. ;)

OK sorry I have to laugh at this, but we have an Oct 2011 member with 34 posts arguing with a 2009 member with 3700+ posts.

Now I'm thinking you have either lurked for years without joining or you are speaking from direct experience to make your argument. ;)

No argument here, just stating a fact from a long time lurker.

No argument here, just stating a fact from a long time lurker.

If you said "just stating an observation from a long time lurker" you'd be okay, but you can't state this as a "fact" unless you are a moderator privy to info the rest of us aren't privy to;). I know of at least one long time poster who no longer uses the original screen name which is still in the member list but who now posts under a different name. I also recently came across a former vitriolic poster and it was evident that said poster had re-incarnated with a new screen name. Said poster's old (banned) screen name is no longer in the member list.

We sail NCL and Carnival and I've been on both forums alot.

There are great things about both lines, no need to bash either. Carnival forum was very active and lots of fun. Presently we just got off NCL and our next cruise will be on ??????? Honestly not sure. We're not loyal to any line . It's itinerary and price.

If you said "just stating an observation from a long time lurker" you'd be okay, but you can't state this as a "fact" unless you are a moderator privy to info the rest of us aren't privy to;). I know of at least one long time poster who no longer uses the original screen name which is still in the member list but who now posts under a different name. I also recently came across a former vitriolic poster and it was evident that said poster had re-incarnated with a new screen name. Said poster's old (banned) screen name is no longer in the member list.

If you are revering to poster with 20069 posts then the name is still exists in posts and the stats just not through the members links

Said poster's old (banned) screen name is no longer in the member list.

Great observation. But, I assure you, their old posts and profile still exist to keep the member count and post count as high as possible for ad dollars. You can also still see them if they were friended by you.

If you are revering to poster with 20069 posts then the name is still exists in posts and the stats just not through the members links

Nope, don't know who you are referring to.

Great observation. But, I assure you, their old posts and profile still exist to keep the member count and post count as high as possible for ad dollars. You can also still see them if they were friended by you.

If they are still in the member list then they aren't banned. The person to whom I was referring made their new screen name too similar to their old one and now that screen name (and all 9 posts made with it) have disappeared from the board and the member list.

Member count plays a part in ad revenue but website traffic is more important.

Nope, don't know who you are referring to.

If they are still in the member list then they aren't banned. The person to whom I was referring made their new screen name too similar to their old one and now that screen name (and all 9 posts made with it) have disappeared from the board and the member list.

Member count plays a part in ad revenue but website traffic is more important.

Yes those posts are not visible to you and I but they are still in the total count for the site. Also that members profile still exists in the sites stats. This is the last I will comment on this as I do not want to appear to be arguing with you. Check your friend file and see if there are a few "friends" that are no longer allowed to post on here but they are still visible to you.

Point well taken. :cool:

Being a first-time cruiser and not knowing what to plan, I would be disappointed if others were let down by the experience.

I organized my first M&G. I had cruised before but was new to CC. I just read up on them here. I am type A and probably went "way over the top" but that is ok. Had a blast. Only one I have attended so far.

Yes those posts are not visible to you and I but they are still in the total count for the site. Also that members profile still exists in the sites stats. This is the last I will comment on this as I do not want to appear to be arguing with you. Check your friend file and see if there are a few "friends" that are no longer allowed to post on here but they are still visible to you.

Pshaw, a civilized debate = an argument? Not in my book;). How do I tell if they are no longer being allowed to post vs they are just not posting under that name? And technology being what it is I suppose it's possible that they are invisible to us but visible to the mods.

Pshaw, a civilized debate = an argument? Not in my book;). How do I tell if they are no longer being allowed to post vs they are just not posting under that name? And technology being what it is I suppose it's possible that they are invisible to us but visible to the mods.

If their signature is empty it is likely that is has been deleted as part of their "dry docking".

I love to read this board like there is no tomorrow, all day and then some. But...I also toggle back and forth with Carnival's board. Quite frankly, there is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more activity on that board than there is on NCL's and I just don't get it???? We all love cruising as much as they do...so what is the deal? I wanna know :rolleyes: Hip Hip NCL I say :D

Can ya say 2 to 3 times more ships and most are much larger than NCLs?

Their (CCL) individual Roll Calls have more activity too.

Perhaps that is just one of the signs of "differences" between the two? :D

My cruise leaves in five(ish) weeks and the roll call seems very quiet to me.

There is no Meet and Greet organized at this point.

I too enjoy the CC Forums a lot. :D

This has to do with the size of the ships and the type of cruiser. NCL has a little older crowd and one that isn't quite as social, plus it depends on the particular sailing. We had over 2000 postings on our NCL cruise earlier this year, the one we have coming up in Feb 2012 has very few right now.

NIta

Many of the regular NCL posters ot banned, so they keep their heads down now under their new names.

Can't name any of them under their old or new names

oh for Heavens sake, I am surprised anyone would post something like this? Do you think only things like this happen on one thread? I am on the board, as most know daily I haven't seen many loyal NCL posters who have changed their names. There have been a couple that are long gone or maybe here under a new name, but they are few and far between.

Nita

Just a couple of comments

My July sailing on Carnival Destiny had a really lousy roll call. I started one, and it fell off the edge of the earth. Someone else then started another roll call and about 6 people showed up to say hello, one of them being a member of a reunion that was to have many people on board. (So why weren't they out there setting up activities and such?) So, I was let down by that roll call.

On my SUN sailing last October we had a totally awsome roll call, over 2,000 posts, a lot of interaction and just a great bunch of people. So I don't think one line over the other in the roll call area.

On the CCL boards I notice A LOT of "ooh single digit dance", "I'm boarding tomorrow" and "counting down the days" type posts. If that floats your boat, well so be it, however I find it cluttering up the boards. This is my opinion. Also, the CCL reviews tend to have embedded pictures in them making them quite long which is fine, but they aren't really reviews at all, more like travelogs.

So, I think we're just a bit more laid back on the NCL boards, maybe we don't need to broadcast our short time to get attention. :p

you are so right I used to use cruise critic like it was FACEBOOK LOL

its definately more social on the carnival boards, but then their website promotes this and urges you to talk with fellow cruisers and have fun! they even have a section on their website where you can talk to other cruisers, just like here on cc.

rccl and ncl websites are a bit more boring but thats okay. Ive read that the ncl meet and mingles are alot better than carnivals ( despite having boards that are not as active as carnivals)

my Ncl rollcall that I had to start myself was inactive so cc removed it! now someone else has started a rollcall, so far theres 3 people includeing me, so im bumping my rollcall up every few days just so that it doesnt disappear!

Alot of people dont use cruise critic at all, or only to research ports. ( basically alot of google searches direct you to a cruise critic post , but you dont have to be registered on here to read that post) just because someone isnt posting, doesnt mean they are not cruiseing, if that makes sence.

I love to read this board like there is no tomorrow, all day and then some. But...I also toggle back and forth with Carnival's board. Quite frankly, there is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more activity on that board than there is on NCL's and I just don't get it???? We all love cruising as much as they do...so what is the deal? I wanna know :rolleyes: Hip Hip NCL I say :D

I agree with you ncl just isnt as active, and even if you post a question you are lucky to get 3 or 4 answers but on carnival people carry on answering even when the topic is so like finished a year ago. I found rccl to have the most hostile posters ( maybe its just me :confused:) I wont dare to mention dress code, or alcohol over there again. :eek:

ncl seems laid back

more ships and pax? more to complain about?

I was just going to give my take on things, then said to myself let me read at lease the first response... You sorta took the words out of my mouth. I had never evn looked at ncl board until a year ago when I booked two cruises. I will say I found the people on ncl to be more upbeat and positive. Carnival posters seem to spend more time attacking people with questions rather than just answering the question.

Archived