NYC to Florida/Bahamas in February or March

PeleNipsy

Has anyone sailed on the NYC to Florida/Bahamas route in February or March? I like the price of the Courtyard Villas on those sailings, as opposed to a caribbean sailing during the same time frame. What is the weather like though? Is half the trip spent in cold weather? It must be popular enough of a route for NCL to have two ships sailing it. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Has anyone sailed on the NYC to Florida/Bahamas route in February or March? I like the price of the Courtyard Villas on those sailings, as opposed to a caribbean sailing during the same time frame. What is the weather like though? Is half the trip spent in cold weather? It must be popular enough of a route for NCL to have two ships sailing it. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We went out NYC last Feb. I would think the Caribbean is going to be warmer for longer for sure. But last feb. to Florida/Bahamas we had lovely weather in both places. They did say though that the day we were in Fl. was their first warm day in a while. Bahamas was nice and warm as was their private island. I tend to forget the sea day weather , I'm sure it was warm 2nd full sea day. Not sure about the 1st full sea day though. I am sure others will know more than me !

We sailed on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore last February. We had a great time but it was a different cruising experience. We didn't get as much use out of our balcony as we normally would on a cruise that started in warmer waters. I wasn't sure I would book another cruise out of the Northeast during the winter months.........but I'm booked on NCL Jewel out of NY Feb 4th. I thought about flying to Florida but it is just sooo nice to drive to the port. The trade off is worth it to me.

im leaving on jewel in december.im kinda hoping for a snow storm at sail away. a snow ball fight on the pool deck seems strangely appealing to methe wife sees things differantly.

This fellow Rhode Islander is also going on the Jewel 12-31. There's something so fun about going at this time of the year. Get on and off the ship in cold weather with (hopefully) warm, sunny weather in between!

TracyE

Either time if you book the haven you will be able to swim and relax because the haven has a retractable roof so when its cold its closed and when it gets warmer its open

Enjoy!!

Ah yes ,this is so true. I had a haven cabin for that cruise, and we did "lay out" inside. It was really nice & warm, and actually felt like we were in warm weather! And we were happy when they retracted the roof a bit , cause it got too warm at times:)

• 4 weeks later...
What were the seas like? I do enjoy not having to fly but the thought of rough seas :eek: always make me shy away from this itinerary

You can get a Nor'Easter, but you won't get a Hurricane, and that's all the predicition you can really consider about the Atlantic 3 months from now.

We had a snow storm during Sail Away 3 years ago and it was really fun. I've got my fingers crossed for snow when we leave in January (although I hope everyone traveling to the port leaves themselves plenty of time to get there safely).

The Bahamas are close to Florida. You will have similar weather to what Florida would be. If I had the option, I'd cruise in March.

I just sailed this itinerary in November and it was too cold for me to go swimming on the ship - it was okay in Nassau, but not as warm as what I'd ideally like to swim in.

We sailed out of NYC on the Dawn 5 or 6 years ago in early March. The weather leaving was fabulous and actually warm with calm seas all the way to the caribbean. By the afternoon of the first full day, the pool deck was packed and there were a fair number of folks (mostly kids) in the pool. Coming home tho, the seas were wild and it was chilly the whole way up the coast.

When we leave from NYC at that time of year the one extra thing I do is be sure to have a contingency plan for bad weather, esp. on the embarking end. Since we drive to the port, I make sure I've got local hotels scoped out so that we can, if needed, go in a day early and only be a taxi ride (or if it's really bad, a bus ride) away from the port. I do not want to miss any cruises!! :eek:

• 3 years later...

I am trying to decide whether I should book a cruise out of NYC in March. I am worried about the weather being too cold to fully enjoy the ship.

Will I get to swim at all? (I cannot afford the Haven room on Norwegian Breakaway, so I won't have access to an indoor pool.)

Did anyone do it this past March 2015? Or March 2014? March 2013?

Will the ports have nice weather?

I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Diann :)

I am trying to decide whether I should book a cruise out of NYC in March. I am worried about the weather being too cold to fully enjoy the ship.

Will I get to swim at all? (I cannot afford the Haven room on Norwegian Breakaway, so I won't have access to an indoor pool.)

Did anyone do it this past March 2015? Or March 2014? March 2013?

Will the ports have nice weather?

I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Diann :)

President's Week (Sunday to Sunday) in February 2014 the weather was fantastic. On Monday afternoon we were outside before dinner enjoying a cocktail. The next three days in port were absolutely beautiful, perfect swimming weather. The Friday was a full sea day with beautiful hot weather. Pools were packed. Then on Saturday it cooled off and being outside wasn't easy.

President's Week (Sunday to Sunday) in February 2015 was the exact opposite, cold the entire time. The one day the sun was out it was so windy in Nassau that you couldn't really enjoy the day.

So basically,like anything else you book at that time you never know with the weather.

We went in March 2014. It was very windy all week. In Florida it was warm so we stayed on the ship and used the slides and pool. We missed great stirrup cay due to high waves but went to Nassau for an extra 1/2 day. We did the blue lagoon excursion but the water was too chilly for me and it was pretty windy there too. I wore a sweatshirt all week but after the frigid winter in Cleveland last year, I was still happy to have 60-70 degree weather. The water was beautiful and the sun was out every day. I would do it again.

President's Week (Sunday to Sunday) in February 2014 the weather was fantastic. On Monday afternoon we were outside before dinner enjoying a cocktail. The next three days in port were absolutely beautiful, perfect swimming weather. The Friday was a full sea day with beautiful hot weather. Pools were packed. Then on Saturday it cooled off and being outside wasn't easy.

President's Week (Sunday to Sunday) in February 2015 was the exact opposite, cold the entire time. The one day the sun was out it was so windy in Nassau that you couldn't really enjoy the day.

So basically,like anything else you book at that time you never know with the weather.

I can add to your President's Week 2013 the weather was great in all ports. 80 degrees in GSC and Nassau and in Florida. The last day (sea day) we had rain

Did Breakaway March 2014 and 2015. Both sailings, it was cold first and last days, and chilly the second day. In 2014, on the way back to NY we had high winds and 42 foot seas (not exaggerating) by Cape Hatteras. In 2015, we had high winds and 14 ish foot seas in the same place. 2014 was unseasonably cold in Florida (and all over really ; ). 2015 the weather was beautiful once we were past the Carolina's or so.