Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

Tricia

Absolutely fabulous review! And though you proclaim to be a "shy girl" seems like you really stepped up and stepped out, struck up conversations with people, went out on your own, truly got into the whole experience - bravo! My first 3 cruises were myself and my son (single parent). While he was with me, a lot of it felt like a bit of solo cruising since he was off in Camp Carnival, with buddies he met on the ship, etc, so I was left to my own devices on sea days, especially. It can be a little daunting at first, but met so many great people! Sailed the Glory, loved the ship and my cruise on her! My son ziplined in Roatan on that trip and had a blast, hopefully you and your cousin will, too. Looking forward to your next review. My son if off to college now, and my next cruise is in December on Legend with my best friend, but unfortunately she can't get away as easily as I can, so think I will look into that group cruise that is focused on solo cruisers - you've won me over!

PS - glad to hear your ex had karma come back around on him ;)

Thank you for reading! I used Olympus TG-310. It's an underwater camera with video and panorama capabilities. I'm totally in love with it. For the dolphins I used the rapid sequence setting. It kept taking pictures as long as I held the button down. I love this feature and hate it at the same time, it's really great for catching the perfect pictures, but it's a lower pixel quality.

I did not think I would inspire people to cruise solo, but I'm glad I did! I actually didn't think anyone would like my review!

sjn I'm so jealous! That sound fabulous!

Thank you all so much for reading and sharing in my adventure with me!

I'll be back in a bit to write my final condensed thoughts!

A fan club, really? Hehe! I can't wait to go on my next cruise, I'm already driving my family crazy.

You have a gift, A gift to draw people in and make them comfortable. You're brutally honest and it is hugly refreshing. This is absolutly the best review that I have ever read. I for one cannot wait to read about your next adventures.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. You did such a fantastic job. Your pics were great. Way to step out of that comfort zone girl. Kudos!

Happy Cruising! :) I saw you have another one booked. Where did you decide to go?

I am going on the Glory 11/25/12 out of Miami. It goes to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. I like the itinerary because it feels like I'm super richy rich and I'm island hopping. I have something fun planned for each port!

I get back December 2nd then hop on the Ecstasy in Port Canaveral on Dec 3rd for a 5 day to Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Freeport!

Haven't decided if that will be one big long review or two separate ones.

I DID buy a second battery and charger for my camera so no worries about battery life.

I'm also bringing along my cousin for the first one. It will be his first cruise and he is a computer potato. He is Soo going to miss his WoW!!! I can't wait to see him shriek like a girl on the zipline in Roatan.

For the second one my best friend is coming. We always seem to make an adventure out of all we are doing. I can't wait to "introduce" them during my reviews!

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. It has truly made me smile!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Tricia, I came across your review as I was searching for "Ecstasy" posts as we are sailing on her in April. WOW! Loved it! You are a special person and so entertaining!

Also I notice EMT-B in your signature....thank you for all you do!

I just discovered this thread and wanted to say that I loved your writing Tricia, very informative and entertaining! I'm going on my first solo cruise in two weeks on Majesty of the Seas (also just had a breakup, stupid boys), and after reading through your experiences I'm feeling much more confident about the trip. Thanks for sharing :)

I just discovered this thread and wanted to say that I loved your writing Tricia, very informative and entertaining! I'm going on my first solo cruise in two weeks on Majesty of the Seas (also just had a breakup, stupid boys), and after reading through your experiences I'm feeling much more confident about the trip. Thanks for sharing :)

We all have our first solo, and for various reasons. Don't be afraid to sit and talk with people, you'd be amazed. Don't forget to let people know you plan things at YOUR pace and when you want. You'll get a few who'll think "Oh, you poor thing" but you'll find an amazing freedom.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a great review! Loved the pics and loved your attitude :)

I did my first cruise last month (not solo though) and had to book another for later this year. It really does hook you, doesn't it?

I'm looking forward to your next review as I loved Grand Cayman and want to read your take on it. I'm moving there as soon as I win the lottery :D

Tricia - thanks for sending me the link for this review; you did a great job. Sounds like you are hook on cruising like so many of us here ;)

I have cruised solo several times and it has its benefits; I am happy for you that you were brave enough to cruise your first time solo!!!

Hope to cruise with you one day

Fabulous review young lady! I loved your elegant night self portrait and your first towel animal attempt...both made me smile. You have a great sense of humor and did a super job writing! I LOVE the dolphins too. So glad you had a wonderful time. :D

You definitely have a way with words, and a wonderful way of turning lemons into lemonade! I don't think I would have had the courage to keep returning to the MDR to dine alone. In fact, cruising alone seems scary to me. Wish I did have the courage, though, as I also have a hard time getting friends to commit in advance. I'm in my late 60's, so joining "singles" roll calls is way out of my comfort zone. After all, who wants to hang with grandma on a cruise? However, after reading your intriguing review, you definitely have me thinking long and hard about attempting a solo.

Thank you for the wonderful review, for a renewed faith in the strength and intelligence of young people of today, and for the wonderful inspiration! You rock, girl!!!

Thank you very much. You're very kind! If you're interested in solo crusing, please check the solo cruiser board under special interest cruising!

We have a little solo group going, I am the youngest and I do believe we have women around your age.

It is a very very liberating experience! If you try it I know you would love it. It does seem scary at first but people are so friendly.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at TriciaEMTB@gmail.com.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'll check it out. Of course, I would prefer to debark from New Orleans, but that isn't written in stone. I'm up for some fun, so who knows?

We haven't decided any of that, it's still too far out! :)

I will be doing a NOLA departure next year Dec 8th on the Carnival Sunshine with scgamecock. You could always join us!

You say a cruise on the Sunshine next year - so you mean 2013? That could be very doable for me. I could even work with that date work-wise! Now I'm really getting pumped because if I can't make a November cruise out of Florida, perhaps a December cruise out of New Orleans! Just wish it was this year...

• 3 months later...

So here's how it's going right now..

Nov 25th cruise 2012, not solo. My cruise buddy will be my 21 year old cousin, I not so affectionately reference as "Gamer Guy" because he wont help me plan, he's too busy with his games. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman.

I'm looking forward to writing that review, hoping to make it as good as this one. Maybe better.

No definite cruise plans for 2013 but I'm trying to help organize a 2013 Solo Group cruise! Yay!

And I asked them to bring my thread back, yay!

What a great review!! I have been contemplating going on a cruise solo. The only drawbacks I see are the higher cost and dinner.

I was actually on the same ship and did the same ports 10 days before you went last year. How fun to see the ship again, it was a great time :)

Just found your review and loved it - this might be my all-time favorite CC review!

Being an EMT is certainly an honorable profession, but I think some cruise line or travel agency should hire you to do reviews! Thanks for a great read, and I'm glad CC has people like you.:)

Wow. I just stopped by this thread for pictures of the ship. I ended up catching a few lines of your review and I had to go back and read it from the beginning. I am so glad I did.

I agree with pp Kurt regarding you writing travel reviews. Your perspective is very refreshing and I love the honest, straight forward commentary on the typical things women have to deal with... I could easily read a book of your travel adventures!

Good luck and I hope you have many future cruises!

Archived