Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

Thanks for a great review, Patricia! And thanks for your comments about UNEXSO. As a scuba diver, I know they have a great reputation, and I've been considering the open water dolphin swim when I'm on Ecstasy in January. I think I would have to wear a dive skin, though, because there's NO way I can handle 70 degree water!

If you ever need a cruisemate, let me know!

And as far as boyfriends go...alot of men are only good for one thing. Come to think of it, alot of them aren't even good for that!:mad:

First I would just like to echo everyone's comments about your great review. Well done.

My comment is in regard to your choice of anytime dining. I know that a lot of people love it, but I really think that if you had had a traditional dining time the maitre d might have seen that you were a solo traveler and placed you with a larger group of mixed traveling situations.

I only say this because my family and I have opted for anytime dining the last 3 cruises and I am realizing that I feel Gypped of a huge part of the cruise experience. We always get seated alone. On past cruises I have the loved the conversations with others and really getting to know the wait staff. So we are switching back. We have early dining for the next two cruises and let's pray it all goes well and this doesn't bite me in the rear.

Patricia, thanks for taking us on your adventure, you had me smiling through your whole cruise! You'll have even more fun on your next one, I am sure. I agree with the other suggestion to try early dining and the opportunity to meet other people during the meal, we've met some great people at dinner and had fun with them aside from the meals. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your next cruise.

Patricia,

I couldn't get all your pictures to open up. Darn, and I really wanted to see the dolphins. Not sure what I was doing wrong, because some of them opened and others didn't.

:/

I don't think you did anything wrong, apparently I exceeded my photobucket bandwith. Boo!

Here is my photobucket account, I don't know if you can see it this way: http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n555/Patricia_Garrett/

Those pictures of nothing are just ones I haven't gone in and deleted yet.

I agree with the others who admire your courage to go solo! I think doing things alone is a great way to get to know yourself.

I can be a bit shy in some situations too, but you've inspired me to get up and dance at the deck parties (I don't know why but I'm always too shy!).

You've also inspired me to be more friendly to people I see that may be alone. I actually love small talk, but don't want to make people feel like I'm asking too many questions.

Looking forward to your final thoughts!

Thank you!

Definitely dance on the deck party. I was REALLY shy about it because I am a little self concious and suck at dancing (I have no rhythm!) but no one really cares, and if they do then feel sorry for them! They must be having a really awful vacation if they can find the time and energy to try and put you down.

I'm so glad that people had taken the time to talk to me first, it gave me a little bit of courage to try and start the conversations myself. There are so many different and interesting people to meet!

First off...I absolutely adore you and you looked smashing in your elegant night dress. I admire your courage and adventurous side to sail solo. I am loving your review and thank you for sharing it with all of us.

The Paradise out of Tampa (well, will be repositioning there soon) has 5 days that go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. ;)

Thank you!

I will definitely have to price check for that one!

I am already getting frustrated trying to coordinate a "not solo" cruise with my family members. They both want something different and can't agree... One wants to go in the summer, the other one can't afford to go in the summer. One wants a short cruise, one wants a long cruise. I'm about to wash my hands at it, tell them to find their own cruise and book myself on a short summer cruise solo again.

But definitely settled on a solo on the Valor in Nov. Going to be definitely solo! My grandmother was like "You want to go by yourself again?" I guess she doesn't get it, I had a blast!

First I would just like to echo everyone's comments about your great review. Well done.

My comment is in regard to your choice of anytime dining. I know that a lot of people love it, but I really think that if you had had a traditional dining time the maitre d might have seen that you were a solo traveler and placed you with a larger group of mixed traveling situations.

I only say this because my family and I have opted for anytime dining the last 3 cruises and I am realizing that I feel Gypped of a huge part of the cruise experience. We always get seated alone. On past cruises I have the loved the conversations with others and really getting to know the wait staff. So we are switching back. We have early dining for the next two cruises and let's pray it all goes well and this doesn't bite me in the rear.

I didn't really feel gyped, but I don't think I will be doing ATD when I go solo again. I really loved the flexibility "Hmm... I'm hungry let me go eat now!" as oppose to "Crap I'm not really hungry but it's dinner time!"

I also think dinner was quicker because of the ATD. I'd read that on average dinner takes like 90 minutes! I was done with dinner in 30 minutes usually.

And I loved the waiter dance, it was kind of hard to coordinate it with my ATD and I only got to see it twice.

I think on my next solo trip I'll opt for the early dining time. I am an early to bed early to rise kind of girl.

You are completely adorable and fun. Love your attitude and sense of humor! Great review. I was second guessing going to the Pirate museum, but your pics reconvened me!

I loved the pirate museum! It was kind of short for $12 but it was really interesting and they did a great job at setting the atmosphere.

If you have kids (and as you're a mom of 3 cruisers, I'm guessing you do!) it would be a great and fun way to sneak a little bit of education in on the cruise.

Patricia, thanks for taking us on your adventure, you had me smiling through your whole cruise! You'll have even more fun on your next one, I am sure. I agree with the other suggestion to try early dining and the opportunity to meet other people during the meal, we've met some great people at dinner and had fun with them aside from the meals. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your next cruise.

Thank you, I look forward to writing about it. You guys have been awesome!

My final thoughts on the cruise:

I had the time of my life! The food was GREAT. I am not an adventurous eater and was glad to see "normal" food on the menu. The food was hot. The staff at carnival were in general very friendly. I always tried to say hello and ask about their day when I passed by. They seemed to be very happy with their jobs. I know they work like dogs, but you really can't tell from their positive attitude!

I know many knock carnival, and maybe it's because I don't have a previous cruise to compare it to but I think they have a great product and a great value. It did not feel like the "Walmart of the Seas" that I've read here.

I went in with really high expectations, but also with the attitude that nothing will be perfect and that's half of the adventure. I went with the flow of things and had a fabulous time.

What I've learned from my cruise: If you think you may want the pictures later, buy them now! I seriously regret not buying the ridiculously overpriced disc at UNEXSO.

Don't get too ambitious, the "over time" of an excursion isn't necessarily the time you will get back!

Don't overpack! I only used half of the stuff I brought. I never used my camera float strap or water safe.

Hang out on the lido deck a little earlier in the cruise!

What I will do next time:

Go on the water slides!

Order room service!

Use traditional dining!

Thanks so much for reading, I'm really glad so many of you enjoyed my review!

Thanks for a great review, Patricia! And thanks for your comments about UNEXSO. As a scuba diver, I know they have a great reputation, and I've been considering the open water dolphin swim when I'm on Ecstasy in January. I think I would have to wear a dive skin, though, because there's NO way I can handle 70 degree water!

If you ever need a cruisemate, let me know!

And as far as boyfriends go...alot of men are only good for one thing. Come to think of it, alot of them aren't even good for that!:mad:

Do it do it do it!!!!

It's a little pricey but totally worth it. If/when I go back to Freeport I will definitely do this experience again. I recommend wearing the goggles though, I think I got salt under my contact lens during it because my eye mildly stung until I took them out.

I know they had dive skins there and I think you could rent them, but after I slid in I really didn't notice the water, I was too busy with the dolphins!

My final thoughts on the cruise:

I had the time of my life! The food was GREAT. I am not an adventurous eater and was glad to see "normal" food on the menu. The food was hot. The staff at carnival were in general very friendly. I always tried to say hello and ask about their day when I passed by. They seemed to be very happy with their jobs. I know they work like dogs, but you really can't tell from their positive attitude!

I know many knock carnival, and maybe it's because I don't have a previous cruise to compare it to but I think they have a great product and a great value. It did not feel like the "Walmart of the Seas" that I've read here.

I went in with really high expectations, but also with the attitude that nothing will be perfect and that's half of the adventure. I went with the flow of things and had a fabulous time.

What I've learned from my cruise: If you think you may want the pictures later, buy them now! I seriously regret not buying the ridiculously overpriced disc at UNEXSO.

Don't get too ambitious, the "over time" of an excursion isn't necessarily the time you will get back!

Don't overpack! I only used half of the stuff I brought. I never used my camera float strap or water safe.

Hang out on the lido deck a little earlier in the cruise!

What I will do next time:

Go on the water slides!

Order room service!

Use traditional dining!

Thanks so much for reading, I'm really glad so many of you enjoyed my review!

What a great attitude :) and great advice.

There are people that cruise 10 times a year , on the luxury lines , in the biggest suites , to the most exotic places and they come here and piss and moan about the ice buckets not being filled on time or the bacon at the buffett wasn't crisp enough or someone 5 tables over in the dining room didn't have a tie on. Or they are screaming for compensation because of this or that .

They could all learn a lesson from you :)

If you go on 100 cruises (and I hope you get to :)) never lose that wonderful attitude and sweet smile.

What a great attitude :) and great advice.

There are people that cruise 10 times a year , on the luxury lines , in the biggest suites , to the most exotic places and they come here and piss and moan about the ice buckets not being filled on time or the bacon at the buffett wasn't crisp enough or someone 5 tables over in the dining room didn't have a tie on. Or they are screaming for compensation because of this or that .

They could all learn a lesson from you :)

If you go on 100 cruises (and I hope you get to :)) never lose that wonderful attitude and sweet smile.

Yeah I've read a lot of that. I honestly can't remember what anyone else wore. I don't see how people can get so hung up on that. Maybe they need to sail on the Ecstasy's 1As because even though I never asked for it or used it there was always ice!

I feel jealous but sorry for those people at the same time!

I remember reading about some complaining that you can't dish out your own bacon at the buffet.. I don't get why because the one time I went through the crew member was dishing out big tongfuls of bacon. It wasn't like he was rationing out one piece per plate :)

Patricia, I just finished reading your review (It took me two days :eek:!)

Someone has to give you a job as a travel reviewer, seriously... I'm not joking. I have read hundreds of cruise reviews and never have I gotten as much out of one.

My family and I are taking the same cruise at the end of January so we really appreciated what you had to say and the pictures to go along with it. I hope you don't mind, but I'm using a few of you pictures as desktop wallpaper, you know to get even more excited about the trip.

You mentioned that you are considering the Dream next year, we were on that last year. It is VERY big, especially compared to the Ecstasy... but VERY nice as well. I honestly found it a little to big and crowded, that is what prompted us to try a smaller ship like the Ecstasy.

I think someone already mentioned it here, but look up the roll cal for your next cruise. It really is a fantastic way to meet some people prior to going. Normally people wear "beads" to identify themselves as CC members and plan to meet on the first day.

I thank you again and I seriously hope you get a job offer to review cruise lines! Someone contact John Heald...:cool:

Cheers,

Kurt

Someone has to give you a job as a travel reviewer, seriously... I'm not joking. I have read hundreds of cruise reviews and never have I gotten as much out of one.

I thank you again and I seriously hope you get a job offer to review cruise lines! Someone contact John Heald...:cool:

Kurt

Patricia, I love this pictorial review and thank you for taking the time to do it. I so agree with Kurt and I love your attitude. You are a beautiful young lady.

I also travel solo and always have set dining. Often Carnival will seat you at a table for solos, not always.

What a delight it was to see a new aspect of Nassau. I will be looking for the Queen's steps next time I visit, I did google it LOL

Archived