Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

As to where I'm heading next... My self and my younger cousin, my older cousin and her son (the three year old) are trying to plan a summer cruise. Probably to Cozumel, even though I want to go to Grand Cayman.

I'm also going to go a solo November of next year. I'm debating between a 7 day on the Valor that visits Nassau, La Romana, Grand Turk and San Juan.

OR

A 7 day on the Carnival Dream going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya

Oooh Tricia, just wanted to let you let that if you go on the Dream in November it'll have all the Carnival 2.0 upgrades on it. Just something for you to keep in the back of your mind.

In fact, I'll be on her on the first cruise out of her dry-dock.

Hmm..but to go to Grand Turk & San Juan the beaches and the forts i hear are wonderful. Then again since you are such an adventurous type;) I hear Belize & Roatan are full of them:)

It seems like you have a touch decision to make. I sure wish I was in your shoes right now hehehehe

Kristy

ps. Oh yeah did you ever get your money back from the other excursion you missed?

You're aboslutely correct!!!! That is why with my next pay check I'm putting down a cruise deposit :D

I think I've settled on the Valor out of Miami... I'd really love to go to San Juan and Grand Turk.

Very good choice :) You will love the Valor. She is a beautiful (and much bigger ) ship.

Oooh Tricia, just wanted to let you let that if you go on the Dream in November it'll have all the Carnival 2.0 upgrades on it. Just something for you to keep in the back of your mind.

In fact, I'll be on her on the first cruise out of her dry-dock.

Hmm..but to go to Grand Turk & San Juan the beaches and the forts i hear are wonderful. Then again since you are such an adventurous type;) I hear Belize & Roatan are full of them:)

It seems like you have a touch decision to make. I sure wish I was in your shoes right now hehehehe

Kristy

ps. Oh yeah did you ever get your money back from the other excursion you missed?

I will address that in my next installment! Coming tonight!

I am so happy to learn so many of you want to cruise solo or have already!

It really was a great experience! I am so glad I did it, and now that I am more familiar with cruising I know how to do it BETTER!

I'm sure all of you will have a wonderful time solo also! Please let me know how it goes!

I've really had a blast writing this review, it's helped me relive a little bit of my cruise again and reflect on what I've done and what I will do next time. I'm also sad it's almost over, I have enjoyed reading your comments also!

Tricia, many folks cruise solo! There's a whole forum dedicated to it on this board. I definitely recommend you check that forum out. They also post many solo cruise specials there. So while you are shopping for a bargain, definitely check it out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

As to where I'm heading next... My self and my younger cousin, my older cousin and her son (the three year old) are trying to plan a summer cruise. Probably to Cozumel, even though I want to go to Grand Cayman.

I'm also going to go a solo November of next year. I'm debating between a 7 day on the Valor that visits Nassau, La Romana, Grand Turk and San Juan.

OR

A 7 day on the Carnival Dream going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya

I've enjoyed your review so much! One suggestion, join the roll call for your cruise. I've already met a few people who will be going on our upcoming cruise. Maybe you could join them for dinner or an excursion. Thanks for writing a great review.

Just want to jump in and add I'm enjoying your review as well. I hav also decided to book a solo cruise since I can't seem to find any friends to go with me in next Dec. on the Liberty I have since decided that I don't want to wait that long for a cruise, so I have booked a second Solo cruise...a 4 day one in the Destiny in March! Reading about your trip has really gotten me excited about them:)

Christine

You're aboslutely correct!!!! That is why with my next pay check I'm putting down a cruise deposit :D

I think I've settled on the Valor out of Miami... I'd really love to go to San Juan and Grand Turk.

If you go to San Juan, check out a Segway excursion. I just did one in Nassau, what a trip that was, had a great time on one.

After shopping in the gift shop a bus came around to take us back to the port. It ended up getting a flat and we had to switch buses. Finally I got back to the port. I got onto the boat and headed directly to my state room. I was in the after glow of the experience but bummed about my snorkel trip.

I got to my cabin and on my bed was a notice from carnival, stating the tour operator cancelled the snorkel trip due to weather and that it was refunded to my sail and sign account! I lucked out!

I took a shower, and headed up to the lido for lunch. I got a cheese burger and fries. It wasn't bad. Better than McDonalds but not something to write home about.

I hit the ice cream again then headed to the photo gallery. I couldn't find my embarktion photo at all. I declined the photos they take when you get off in each port because I had no intention of buying them and didn't want to waste the paper.

I found my formal wear pictures and bought one plus a nice book frame thing with a picture of the ship on the other side. Total it cost $25. I gave it to my mom when I got home and she loved it, she didn't have any nice pictures of me. I have my dinner/comedy club friends to thank for that idea!

I headed out to the lido deck to chill out and relax. This was the first time I actually sat out there and watched what was going on. There was dancing going on. When they played the cha cha slide I was a little hesitant but I got up and joined in on the dancing. I figured no one was ever going to see me again. I danced for a few songs and it was a blast.

After that it was time for my last dinner on the cruise! I left my camera in my room by accident so I don't have pictures.

I was seated off in a corner by myself. I ordered field greens with ranch and honey and Burbon chicken and baked Alaska. The chicken came with potatos that had a tomato sitting on top. Tomatos and potatoes? Oh carnival!

I've never had baked Alaska before. I figured it was a super fancy dessert from what I heard about it...

Really its just a fancy ice cream cake. Still good! I will take ice cream cake any day.

After that I headed down to the punchliner for the comedy show. Because the country show was less than spectacular I decided to skip the production show in favor of the comedy shows. I wasn't disappointed.

My friends from the night before were there. We talked about our days, apparently they didn't have much fun in Freeport, what a shame!

After the shows I went back to pack. On the TV when talking about self assist it said if you had more than one bag you weren't eligible for self assist. However when the CD was making an announcement about it earlier in the day he made no mention of this restriction.

I took my bags out to the hall and rolled them up and down the corridor to make sure I could handle both and my messenger. I could, so I decided to go ahead and do self assist.

When I woke up the next day, I got a shower and headed with my stuff to the waiting area which was the blue sapphire.

I was off the ship by 830. I carried two bags down the stairs from promenade (deck 9) because the elevators were being used on Riviera to shuttle people down to deck 3.

The wait at customs was kind of long. And when I got to the desk all they did was look at my form and tell me to have a good day. I totally could have smuggled something if I wanted to.

And that's the end of my cruise :( oh no.

Oh No is right...this has been a huge pleasure...so glad you got your money back and..really are dolphins not the BEST..i did a week swimming with them in the wild in Kona, Hawaii with a lady who studies them and your situation in the open sounded very good..to date it is one of my peak experiences too..so glad that was so wonderful and you guys found common ground...I think that dolphin liked you more than he was worried about the eating.....they know when they are loved and love back IMHO...oh Patricia..have a wonderful time planning you next cruise...you are a gem and have a fan club from here for sure...Sarah

I started reading your review last night and could not wait to get home from work today, so I could continue. :D

You have a wonderful writing style....ever think of becoming an author????

Your pictures are awesome, I loved the pictures of the dolphins!! Your timing was perfect. What kind of camera did you use?

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us!!:)

Thank you for reading! I used Olympus TG-310. It's an underwater camera with video and panorama capabilities. I'm totally in love with it. For the dolphins I used the rapid sequence setting. It kept taking pictures as long as I held the button down. I love this feature and hate it at the same time, it's really great for catching the perfect pictures, but it's a lower pixel quality.

I did not think I would inspire people to cruise solo, but I'm glad I did! I actually didn't think anyone would like my review!

sjn I'm so jealous! That sound fabulous!

Thank you all so much for reading and sharing in my adventure with me!

I'll be back in a bit to write my final condensed thoughts!

A fan club, really? Hehe! I can't wait to go on my next cruise, I'm already driving my family crazy.

Thanks again for such a fun review and great pics.

I really am happy you had such a good time. Even with a few glitches , you managed to have fun and even laugh about them. That is a wonderful quality. I was an EMT many years ago and am now a 9-1-1 dispatcher . I think people in our field have an inner ability to have adversity all around us and still come out smiling (or else go crazy:))

Hope you won't be a stranger and hang around here on the boards . Your posts will be a very welcome addition here.

First off...I absolutely adore you and you looked smashing in your elegant night dress. I admire your courage and adventurous side to sail solo. I am loving your review and thank you for sharing it with all of us.

The Paradise out of Tampa (well, will be repositioning there soon) has 5 days that go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. ;)

A fan club, really? Hehe! I can't wait to go on my next cruise, I'm already driving my family crazy.

I have never been on a cruise before. My first one is in 60 days with my future MIL. However, I have been driving my family crazy with everything I have learned from these boards and just trying to plan more trips. I'm sure once I finally go, I will continue to drive them crazy. :D

Kudos on the solo trip! Especially as a self proclaimed shy person! Great review.

I agree with the others who admire your courage to go solo! I think doing things alone is a great way to get to know yourself.

I can be a bit shy in some situations too, but you've inspired me to get up and dance at the deck parties (I don't know why but I'm always too shy!).

You've also inspired me to be more friendly to people I see that may be alone. I actually love small talk, but don't want to make people feel like I'm asking too many questions.

Looking forward to your final thoughts!

We did both Grand Turk and San Juan on the Triumph a few years ago...San Juan is beautiful to do a walking tour of! We just got an old Frommer's book and it gave a very easy walking tour that hit all of the major sites. Free, safe, and gorgeous! Grand Turk is pretty too, not as much to do since (at least when we went) Carnival owned the pier and there were pretty much just a few locals there who ran the Carnival excursions....there is a beach right off the boat, a little rocky so I'd definitely wear water shoes!

Archived